Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,775 members, 7,820,713 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data (7085 Views)

First Time Of Buying Xiaomi From A Xiaomi Rep Here And Got It Delivered To My do / How To Stop Google From Spying On Your Phone / MTN Is Cheating You And Stealing Your Data Codedly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by talktalk4u: 4:28pm On Sep 22, 2021
In this post, we will show you how to prevent Xiaomi from spying on you and stealing your data.

Xiaomi is a high-end budget smartphone producer with popular phone brands to its credit. However, there have been controversies of data theft and accusations of Xiaomi spying on users’ activities.

Cybersecurity researchers Garbi Cirlig and Andrew Tierney have reported several data breaches associated with the Redmi Note 8 and the Mi Browser with the browser collecting users’ data while browsing in Incognito mode.

Although Xiaomi denied allegations of it collecting users data and spying on their browsing activities, it mentioned that data are collected with users’ consent, and such data are collected as anonymous data and used for internal analysis, and no Personally Identifiable Information is linked to collected data.

If you’re a Xiaomi phone user, here are ways you can protect your data and privacy on Xiaomi and Mi browsers.

Data collection is turned on by default for most default apps on the Xiaomi smartphone brand. Hence, to prevent Xiaomi from collecting your data, you have to turn off default data collection for each of the pre-installed apps on your Xiaomi smartphone. That way, you can prevent Xiaomi spying activities.

How To Stop Mi Browser From Collecting Data Even In Incognito Mode

1. Launch the Xiaomi Mi Browser app on your phone
2. Tap on the hamburger menu icon at the top-right of your screen
3. Tap on the ‘Settings’ icon in the menu options
4. Search for ‘Advanced’ in the ‘Settings’ menu

In the Advanced’ menu, tap on ‘Privacy & Security.’

Toggle off the ‘Personalized services’ button to prevent Mi browser from collecting and sending your data to Xiaomi’s server.
If you do not trust the Mi browser not to collect your data remotely, you can disable Mi Browser in the app settings.

How To Disable Xiaomi’s MIUI From Collecting Your Data
Xiaomi’s MIUI (Mi User Interface) collects your data to serve you with personalized ads. You can prevent MIUI from collecting your data by revoking MIUI’s data collection privileges by taking the following steps.

1. Launch the Settings app on your Xiaomi phone
2. Scroll through and tap on ‘Additional Settings’
3. In the ‘Additional Settings’ page, tap on ‘Authorization & revocation
4. Toggle off the MSA (MIUI System Ads) button.
5. Follow the prompt and wait for 10 seconds, after which you can now tap on ‘Revoke.’
6. If you get a ‘Couldn’t Revoke Authorization’ message, make sure your data is turned on and retry again.

To disable ad services and data usage collection,

1. Go back to step iii, in the ‘Additional Settings’ page, tap on ‘Privacy.’
2. In the ‘Privacy menu,’ toggle off the ‘User Experience Program’ and ‘Send diagnostic data automatically’ to prevent Xiaomi from sending your data remotely to its server.
3. Also, tap on the ‘Ad Services’ in the ‘Additional Settings’ and ‘Disable’ ‘Personalized Ad Recommendations’ to prevent Xiaomi from collecting your data to serve you with ads.

How To Disable Mi Security From Sending Data Usage Report

1. Launch the Mi Security app on your phone
2. Tap the Mi Security ‘Settings’ app (a gear-shaped icon at the top-right of your screen
3. In the Security Settings menu, disable ‘Receive Recommendations’
4. Head back to the main Security Settings menu and tap on ‘Data Usage.’
5. Toggle off the ‘Report data usage info button.’

To improve your privacy and data security, you should disable or turn off data collections and recommendations for the following apps.

1.Cleaner
2.File manager
3.Lockscreen Ads
4.Mi downloads
5.Music and Video players
6.Home screen ads in MIUI
7.Disable spammy notifications from apps by long-pressing and toggling off the app notification.

for more info check here https://secureblitz.com/how-to-prevent-xiaomi-spying/
https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/xiaomi-phones-steal-user-data-and-send-it-to-remote-servers-in-china-warns-indian-air-force-3657297.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Cheezzyy: 5:58pm On Sep 22, 2021
So Xiaomi dey steal data
Mad ooo

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by AREWAELENU: 6:27pm On Sep 22, 2021
Nah wetin we no go see for Smartphone we dey use, no be all of dem dey do am?
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Kayconcept2(m): 7:31pm On Sep 22, 2021
Hhhhhhh, So Xioami follow join the matter. Stealing data from their esteem customers. Too bad
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by chariisGRACE(m): 8:27pm On Sep 22, 2021
E get any tech company wey no dey steal user data?

Mention that company!

5 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by billynoni(m): 3:25am On Sep 23, 2021
SAFEST METHOD... Don't buy or use their products, case closed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Equal2DeTask(m): 5:40am On Sep 23, 2021
billynoni:

Lol...

They are the best devices you can use....keep using tecno tongue

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by jikins(m): 6:49am On Sep 23, 2021
Equal2DeTask:

Lol...

Correction they are the best devices in their price range. Definitely not the best of the best if price range isn't a factor. But they do make solid devices. But this news is worrying but it seems its app related, so using a different browser could arrest the situation if at all this is true.
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by billynoni(m): 11:51am On Sep 23, 2021
Equal2DeTask:

Lol...

Alright thanks... Glad you didn't at least, forced me to use the device. I will keep using my "Tecno".
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Idarachris84: 5:03pm On Sep 23, 2021
To think I was gonna recommend it for a friend!

Nah! Am wiser abeg.

The economy is not funny abeg!

billynoni:
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Wanni25(f): 5:23pm On Sep 23, 2021
You are so funny eh.

I dey imagine as phone dey drink data like tea

Is good is out here for people to be wise o.

Idarachris84:
To think I was gonna recommend it for a friend!

Nah! Am wiser abeg.

The economy is not funny abeg!

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Kakadancefreak(f): 5:31pm On Sep 23, 2021
I don't want to know o!

Na to Japa abeg!

Say no to Xiaomi embarassed
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by schoolboymatt(m): 5:34pm On Sep 23, 2021
chariisGRACE:
E get any tech company wey no dey steal user data?

Mention that company!
Zinox cool
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Fonjewel0(f): 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2021
I shock too eh!
I kind of feel for xioami users o.
They either do something about it abeg!
Before they run out of relevance.

Kayconcept2:
Hhhhhhh, So Xioami follow join the matter. Stealing data from their esteem customers. Too bad
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Ammaizingemmy: 7:22pm On Sep 23, 2021
Wonders shall never end, when I thought I have seen it all.

Xiaomi with all the braggings, so! This is what you guys still do..
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by chocoboi: 7:34pm On Sep 23, 2021
Where is @Skywalker, come and defend your brand, with all your braggings, see how your brand dey spy and steal people data.. undecided
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by DONFRANSKID(m): 10:26pm On Sep 23, 2021
E get phone where no dey steal data
All I see Is hatred trying to bring down xiaomi
Even google they steal self

4 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by PaulucheBusines: 4:59am On Sep 24, 2021
Wow....this is bad for the brand.

It can't be justified in any angle...
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Donvic4u(m): 5:54am On Sep 24, 2021
Lol..
You are using an Android device developed by Google and u think your data is safe.

Whether xiaomi or Samsung or the rest, forget about safety of data

5 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by AlmaIganishire: 9:19pm On Sep 24, 2021
Is this technique possible?
Have you heard of Freepod 3 launch that has been speculating? I heard this Freepod 3 is way more advanced spotting features like being dust resistant and aving upto 8 hours play time / 5.5 hours talk time.

Here's the link to register for the launch that will be happening on 28th Sept https://ozone.oraimo.com/210920/index.html

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by paltielx: 10:14pm On Sep 24, 2021
Best option is to stop buying Chinese phone period
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Shuregirl: 10:45pm On Sep 24, 2021
I no just dey understand Xiaomi again nowadays
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by SunshineHQ(m): 11:00am On Sep 25, 2021
tecno and infinix also steal data, i dont see people having sleepless night over that

4 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by ayafcom: 10:10am On Sep 27, 2021
SunshineHQ:
tecno and infinix also steal data, i dont see people having sleepless night over that

But Xiaomi own loud gán, after all the braggings..
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by SunshineHQ(m): 10:41am On Sep 27, 2021
ayafcom:

But Xiaomi own loud gán, after all the braggings..
which of the bragging isnt thru? that they make better phones than transsion?

3 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by olamieseun(m): 11:59am On Sep 27, 2021
Hmmm,you buy phone and input your google or mail account and coming here shouting one particular phone is stealing your data.my brother wake up from your dreams.any phone that connects you from any account like Google even your so call networks provider steal your data.i rest my casthere

4 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by purplekayc(m): 7:02pm On Sep 27, 2021
Apple does worse things
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Mohbola(f): 11:42pm On Sep 27, 2021
Source - I no fit lie give you people
SunshineHQ:
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by SunshineHQ(m): 7:47am On Sep 28, 2021
Mohbola:
Source - I no fit lie give you people
tecno and infinix dont steal data.- mohbola 2021
Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Shuregirl: 5:19pm On Sep 28, 2021
selfdefence:
Na wa o, what happened to customer privacy being a priority That's why I always stick brands I can trust. Talking of trusted brands, do you know Oraimo are launching the Freepod 3 earbuds tomorrow? Register at https://ozone.oraimo.com/210920/index.html to stand a chance to win discounts for order.
nothing like customer privacy

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Xiaomi From Spying On You And Stealing Your Data by Mohbola(f): 6:11pm On Sep 28, 2021
SunshineHQ:
tecno and infinix dont steal data.- mohbola 2021
Yes Yes wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lets Get It Over; Crack The Mtn Huawei Modem So It Works With Glo Sim? / Glo Unveils New Pocket-friendly Data Packages. / I Regret Using ALAT By WEMA (the Biggest Mistake Ever Made By Me In 2019)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.