Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,192 members, 7,829,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album (885 Views)

FUJI Boss, "Pasuma Wonder" Drops 1st Single Off Hip-hop Album, "Abo"... / Wack As Hell Hip Hop Album Covers. / Pasuma Set To Release Hip Hop Album (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by doyin13(m): 8:17pm On Jul 22, 2007
I don't know any album that can emulate the hunger, delivery and wordplay of Illmatic.

Every single track on the album is tight.

Epitome of what HipHop should be

Nas I salute you
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by LAHLAXZA(m): 12:18am On Jul 23, 2007
I agree "You cant catch me in d streets without a ton of reifer, that 'd be like malcolm x cathing d jungle fever", classic album.
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by doyin13(m): 12:20am On Jul 23, 2007
''King Poetic too much flava , Atlanta Embraver I pull the number like a pager''

Bro u know its Half time

Classic
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by doyin13(m): 12:22am On Jul 23, 2007
Has the best Hip Hop collabo I can think of as well
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by kaydee(m): 2:05am On Jul 23, 2007
Which collabo?
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by doyin13(m): 2:34am On Jul 23, 2007
life's a bitch with AZ

Can you think of any beta?
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by LAHLAXZA(m): 2:48am On Jul 23, 2007
I agree, AZ is usally at his best whenever he does a joint with Nas.
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by kaydee(m): 3:44am On Jul 23, 2007
Yeah! I love it anytime they come 2gether but mine is "Favor for a favor"
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by A40(m): 1:42pm On Jul 23, 2007
I beg to disagree,
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by A40(m): 1:43pm On Jul 23, 2007
Reasonable Doubt
Chronic
Ready to Die
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by ladebi(m): 1:55pm On Jul 23, 2007
A rap album does not make hiphop rather its an element of hiphop.You can say illmatic is the greatest rap album,but which is not true.
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by doyin13(m): 4:53pm On Jul 23, 2007
@A-40

Its not the Chronic for the basic reason that Dre definitely aint as good a rapper as Nas

While I love Reasonable doubt, it simply does not have the pure street cred of Illmatic. From the RD album you can alredy hear snippets of the paid up flossing ho references that pervades shit hiphop today

As per Ready to Die, I know of no beta wordsmith to beat Biggie, but apart from say Juicy, his subject matter sucks. And i cannt give such a title to anything that came from puffy or his label.

so the Illmatic still wins.
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by nanaboi(m): 4:56pm On Jul 23, 2007
A rap album does not make hiphop rather its an element of hiphop

I totally agree. But u should also note that rap is like the core of hip hop. Not every hip hop is rap, yea, but certainly ova 80% of hip hop is rap( correct me if I'm wrong).
And tho not every rap is hip hop, when u talk Nas, u're not talking much else xcept Hip Hop.

ladebi:

You can say illmatic is the greatest rap album,but which is not true.

Everybody has a right 2 their own opinion. If u agree wit me on that, then u agree someone can disagree wit u absoluteli on this one.

And like I said, in talking about Nas, please say hip hop and not rap, because if u simply say rap, then the 50 cents and all otha "rap artistes" might defile the category so much that Nas' ethereal hip hop will not condescend 2 fit in.

As 4 Illmatic, if I lose 2 copies of it, I'll buy 6 so I'll reduce any chances of not having it drastically, whetha or not it's the gr8st.
And tho I also feel Jigga like I feel my heartbeat, I can't help the fever "Ether" gives me.
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by Rapsody(m): 7:14pm On Jul 23, 2007
I apologize 4 sounding la di da bt i wud rily luv 2 kno ur parametres 4 judging an album"hiphop's greatest".First of all,as rightly pointed out,rap is one amongst 4 elements of d hiphop subculture,there4 products of other elements must be considered b4 choosing a winner(if there wud ever be one!).Allow me play devil's advocate by adding that not having put a timespan 2 ur measurements,any rap album frm d 80s to date wud hve 2 b reckoned.Havin said all dat,allow me remind u of classics such as 2pac's 'all eyez on me',Common's 'ressurection' and kwali's 'Reflektion Eternal'.Oops dnt 4get Wutang's "36 chambers".Nuff said!
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by A40(m): 8:00pm On Jul 23, 2007
@Doyin
You are entitled to your opinion o! but for me i rate those albums higher in the hip hop album classic charts, so are you saying Nas is the best rapper, i beg to disagree
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by doyin13(m): 8:13pm On Jul 23, 2007
Probably not the best rapper(altho i am sure i can argue it), but he has made the best rap album ever.
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by kaydee(m): 1:34am On Jul 24, 2007
Yeah! Talking bout Hip-Hop albums,Illmatic is still the greatest. Who's talkin bout "Reasonable Doubt"? It was a good album too but still a far distant from Illmatic. Talk bout great Hip-Hop albums,Illmatic is always the first to come to mind or just next.At 19,i still can't believe he did all that.
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by amaks: 6:40pm On Jul 24, 2007
pls,
1.all eyes on me-2pac
2.illmatic-nas
Re: Illmatic-greatest Hip Hop Album by bgees(m): 10:10am On Jul 25, 2007
non need to distinguish btw rap and hiphop. we all know what he meant.
illmatic is truly rap's greatest album. with illmatic,there is never a dull moment. STRAIGHT FIRE from start to finish. for an 18yr old, u have to give credit.
even biggie told the whole world, he was surprised that Ready to Die sold more than illmatic.

rakim ,at time of his golden years said the pressure was to much on him always deliver tight lyrics and he often thought he would soon lose it , but when nas dropped illmatic, he was relieved, at least attention would shift away from him.
someone mentioned 36 chambers, honestly, u are on ur own on that. and on All eyez on me, many people didnt really enjoy it from start to finish.death certificate, the chronic and the diary only come close

the only album that many pundits rank above illmatic is rakims PAID IN FULL.

(1) (Reply)

Artist That Are Damn Lame / What Can You Say About Asa / Vote For Your Best Nigerian Music Beef So Far And Give Reasons. Hot Thread !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.