Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,862 members, 7,817,545 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

iOS 15 Review: A Better iPhone Experience - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / iOS 15 Review: A Better iPhone Experience (978 Views)

Which Is Better Iphone Xsmax Or Samsung Note 10 Plus / iOS 15: Share Your Experience After the Update / My Redmi 8 Gives Me Iphone Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

iOS 15 Review: A Better iPhone Experience by postbox: 6:20pm On Sep 23, 2021
iOS 15 isn’t a major overhaul, but the rather lengthy list of improvements adds up to create a much better iPhone experience. Changes to Maps, Photos, and Notes are particularly welcome, while a new Focus feature should tackle distractions.

The best compliment I can pay iOS 15 is that for all the changes Apple’s latest software update introduces — and there are a lot of them — it isn’t long after updating that the enhancements blend into your everyday iPhone usage. The changes and enhancements seem a natural extension of what’s already there.

I’ve been using iOS 15 since the first beta came out earlier this summer. My standard practice is to install any iOS beta on a couple different iPhones (an iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 12 in this instance), occasionally referring back to a reference device like my wife’s iPhone just to confirm what’s different from the last iOS update. In recent weeks, I find myself borrowing my wife’s iOS 14-powered phone more frequently, as the many iOS 15 enhancements feel like they’ve always been there on my phone. That’s a sign of a successful upgrade.

iOS 15 isn’t a revolutionary upgrade — while the changes are many, there’s no radical rethinking of what you can and can’t do on an iPhone. But at this stage in the life of Apple’s smartphone business, it doesn’t need to be.

iOS 15 beefs up some built-in apps that needed retooling highlighted by changes to FaceTime and Maps, introduces some new welcome new capabilities like being able to store ID cards in Wallet and super-charges your iPhone’s on-device intelligence with new features like Visual Look Up and Live Text. Not all of these changes are fully polished, but when you download iOS 15, you should like what you see.

iOS 15 review: Availability and supported devices
iOS 15 has been available as a public beta since the end of June, but the software is now out as a download that anyone can install. Just head to the Settings app on your phone and tap General — from there, you can select Software Update, where iOS 15 will be there waiting for you, if you haven’t installed the update yet.

As for supported devices, if your phone runs iOS 14, you’ll be able to upgrade to iOS 15. That means anything from an iPhone 6s onward will work, including the original iPhone SE and the 7th gen iPod touch. iPads get their own version of the software, known as iPadOS 15.

Be aware that not every iOS 15 feature will work on older iPhones, with capabilities that require a lot of neural processing power only available on iPhones with at least an A12 Bionic processor. These include:

iPhone XR
iPhone XS and XS Max
iPhone 11
iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone Pro Max
iPhone SE (2020)
iPhone 12
iPhone 12 mini
iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
iPhone 13
iPhone 13 mini
iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max
iOS 15 review: FaceTime improvements
iOS’s 15 revamp of the FadeTime video messaging app would go down as one of the most prominent changes in iOS 15, though the biggest addition isn’t available with iOS 15’s debut. That would be SharePlay, the much ballyhooed feature that lets you watch videos, listen to music and share your screen with everyone else on a FaceTime call. SharePlay won’t appear until a later update as Apple fine-tunes the capability that will be available across iPhones, iPads and Macs.

Don’t let SharePlay’s current omission trick you into thinking there’s nothing new under the FaceTime sun. iOS 15 introduces a number of changes aimed at making FaceTime a compelling alternative to Zoom, Microsoft Teams and all the other video messaging tools we’ve been using for the past 18 months

I’m not going to pretend that FaceTime has been high on my list of go-to video messaging apps, and that’s largely because I’ve found the app to be too cluttered for my taste, particularly for group calls. iOS 15 fixes that by giving you a grid view option that neatly stacks the faces of the people on a call instead of treating them as floating windows that resize depending on who’s talking.

Even better, FaceTime in iOS 15 lets you reap the benefit of spatial audio, at least if you’ve got an iPhone XR or later. With spatial audio, you’ll hear the voice of the person speaking emanating from the part of the screen where their square is located. It’s a seemingly small tweak, but it makes a world of difference in letting video calls feel more natural.

Those aren’t the only audio enhancements in FaceTime. The app also adopts new Voice Isolation and Wide Spectrum features — the former can filter out background noise on calls so that your voice is amplified while the latter can pick up all the ambient sounds around you. Even better, those features can be adopted by third-party apps, as can FaceTime’s newfound ability to introduce a background blur when you’re on camera.

One last addition to FaceTime will benefit people who don’t have an iPhone. Apple is extending FaceTime to Android and Windows, too, though with a browser-based interface and not a dedicated app. You can now schedule FaceTime calls by creating shareable links. And just in case you’re concerned that someone uninvited might crash your call, you not only have gatekeeper powers over who can enter a call, but you can also boot people out 30 seconds after they join if they turn out to be an imposter.

iOS 15 review: SharePlay anticipation
So what about SharePlay, a change so sweeping that it will also come to iPad, Mac and Apple TV software? When SharePlay arrives at a later date, you’ll able to stream audio or video on a FaceTime call, and it will play for the other people you’re FaceTiming with, with playback synced up so that everyone’s watching or listening at the same time. You can also share your iPhone screen via SharePlay.

Other video chat apps offer similar features, whether they’re built in or available as extensions, but Apple including the functionality within its own video messaging app is significant. And Apple clearly has high hopes for SharePlay, as it’s releasing a developer tool so that software makers can add compatibility to their apps to work with FaceTime once the feature comes via a future iOS 15 update. To that end, Apple promises that prominent streaming services like Disney Plus, Hulu, Paramount and others.

Before Apple removed SharePlay from iOS 15 betas, I tested the feature using Apple TV Plus, watching an episode of Ted Lasso with two of my Tom’s Guide colleagues. Each one of us could control playback from our various devices. I could even resize the video window to make it easier to view Ted Lasso’s antics while minimizing the FaceTime window, and then flip around the sizes when I wanted to see my colleagues’ reaction. When FaceTime arrives, you can also switch to text or audio chats, so the video playback is front and center.

In beta form, SharePlay did a pretty good job of dropping the audio of whatever it is you’re watching or listening to so that you can keep your conversation going. However, audio controls in SharePlay seemed to be universal — you can’t boost the volume of what you’re playing back without also increasing the volume on your FaceTime call, at least in my initial testing. Perhaps that’s something Apple is fine-tuning right now.

iOS 15 review: Focus mode
If FaceTime tackles Apple’s stated goal of keeping people connected with iOS 15, then the new Focus feature is front and center for the company’s plan to free us from distractions and time sucks. Think of Focus as a more refined version of Do Not Disturb, keeping out irrelevant notifications and even restricting your home screen to only the apps you need to access for the task at hand.

For example, you can set a Work focus that blocks out notifications from streaming apps and social networking tools; it can also restrict incoming messages from contacts you haven’t white-listed. To filter out distractions even further, you can designate a home screen that only displays your work-focused apps. (I’ve got mine set up to show off Slack, Gmail, Google Docs and a couple handy utilities, plus widgets for my reminders and calendar appointments.)

Other iOS 15 users will see your Focus status in Messages and, hopefully be less inclined to ping you (or at least know why you’re not as responsive as usual.) Third-party messaging apps have the option of displaying your Focus status as well — a feature I hope many of them pick up. What’s more, your Focus setting follows you from device to device, since iPadOS 15 and macOS Monterey support the feature, too.

Focus is easy enough to set up and turn on, which is half the battle. Focus lives in the Control Center, so you just swipe down from the upper corner of your iPhone screen (on the iPhone X or later) to set your focus. You can also turn off a focus by tapping on the icon that appears on your phone’s lock screen when you’ve got the feature enabled. We’ve largely talked about setting up a work focus, but Apple lets you customize and name whatever focus mode you want, whether it’s for gaming, family time, driving, sleeping or what have you.

My one criticism of Focus is that the home screen feature is a little bit limited. You don’t create a new home screen that only appears when you turn on a particular focus mode and fades into the background when you’re done. Instead, you select an existing home screen. This is actually contrary to how I organize my apps, where I put the most frequently used on one screen, whether they’re for work or personal use. Also, you can still access apps you’ve left out of your focus by swiping left until you reach the App Library, so it’s not as if I can’t launch PUBG Mobile when I really should be answering that email from the boss.

I mentioned that Focus setup is half the battle, but the other part of what determines whether the new feature will be a success is out of Apple’s control. For Focus to truly work, you’ve got to adapt your working habits, remembering to turn Focus modes on and off. This hasn’t really happened for me yet, though perhaps with IOS 15 out of beta, I’ll be more diligent about using the distraction-fighting tools Apple’s provided. Still, as promising as Focus is, don’t treat it like a silver bullet for immediately addressing your need to go distraction-free.

iOS 15 review: Notification changes
Apple’s attempts to do away with distractions don’t stop with Focus. The company is taking another stab at streamlining notifications in iOS 15. App icons on notifications are now larger, making them easier to spot at a glance so that you can determine if this notification is really worth your time; incoming messages will show the contact photo you’ve assigned to a person in the Contacts app.

You also have the option to temporarily mute notifications, either for an hour or a day. Just swipe left on the notifications to bring options, which now include your expanded choices for muting. iOS 15 is also smart enough to suggest you mute a conversation if you haven’t replied in a while.

The biggest change to notifications, though, is Apple’s new notifications summary, which you set up in the Notifications section of the Settings app. When setting up a summary, you can decide which app notifications you only need to see at select times of the day — those will then appear in on-screen summary at a time of your choosing, so you can skim through updates you may have missed without feeling bombarded throughout the day. I’ve found the summary to be a clever way to discover when new podcast episodes are available without having that info interrupt me during my work day.

iOS 15 review: Map improvements
Count me as one of the people who’s gotten over Apple’s stumble in moving away from Google Maps to its own mapping data nearly a decade ago in iOS 6. Maps has steadily improved, particularly in recent years, and I prefer it to Google Maps. It probably helps that I live near Apple HQ and therefore often get access to Maps improvements long before they roll out to other parts of the country.

Case in point with Maps in iOS 15: this new update adds more detailed 3D views of cities that include better landmarks, 3D buildings, clearly labeled commercial districts, more detailed roads and trees, with all that data collected from the vehicles Apple sends around to improve its master map. That feature is available in select cities, initially — San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York and London — before it hits other places. Having gazed at downtown San Francisco, with a detailed Oracle Park nestled against the San Francisco Bay, I can tell you it’s a look that really helps you get a sense of place when you explore in Maps.

At least everyone with an iPhone XR or later will be able to experience the new interactive globe that’s now visible in iOS 15. Zoom out and you’ll see a view of the earth from space, complete with an accurate star field. Zoom in and you’ll see other details — mountain ranges, deserts, ocean depths — that are clearly labeled, making it feel like you’ve got an interactive relief map stored on your phone.

A more practical addition to Maps is the app’s new 3D driving view that gives you a driver’s eye perspective on roads around complex interchanges. I took Maps for a spin around the MacArthur Maze, a series of interchanges, merge lanes and potential wrong turns in the East Bay, and Maps clearly showed me which lane I had to worry about and which ones were merely flyovers. (One complaint: In the beta at least, Maps was labeling the streets that are below overpasses but that have no exits — an unnecessary level of detail that I found mildly distracting. I’ll check to see if iOS 15’s full release has tweaked that feature on my next road trip.) Also helpful were 3D renderings of roadside buildings that helped orient me as to where I was on the road.

People who rely on public transit in major cities will appreciate that Maps now includes key bus routes. (That feature works in downtown San Francisco for me, for example, but not in my home city 14 miles away.) You can also pin your favorite transit lines to easily spy departure times.

The least fleshed out feature in iOS 15 is immersive walking directions, limited to the Bay Area when I was testing the feature. In theory, it’s a clever addition — Maps will superimpose arrows and street names when you’re walking to confirm you’re going in the right direction.

In practice, though, the feature is awkward to use. You first need to scan the surrounding area with your phone — drawing attention to yourself when you might already feel disoriented. The superimposed directions will then appear, but if you turn to head in that direction, they’ll only resurface when you turn tour phone to face across the street, 90 degrees from the direction you’re walking. At the same time, your iPhone will warn you of the dangers of looking at your phone screen while walking. All told, it’s a bit of a mess, unlike the other more polished additions to Maps.

iOS 15 review: Safari’s new Look (and how to get rid of it)
We can argue about what the biggest changes are in iOS 15, but there’s no question as to the most controversial addition. Safari in iOS 15 sports a new look inspired by Apple’s efforts to streamline the version of the browser in macOS Monterey. And I don’t think I’m going out on a limb when I say that this new approach is not going to be universally loved, especially when Apple has already introduced an option for rolling back some of Safari’s new look.

iOS 15 review: Should you upgrade?
Chances are you’re going to upgrade to iOS 15 no matter what I tell you. Apple has the stats showing how many people migrate to its OS updates, and it’s a percentage that puts Android to shame. So let’s assume you’re going to upgrade to iOS 15. The big question, as always, is when.

Recent major iOS updates have had their share of bugs, which can be impossible to predict. In my own experience, the iOS 15 beta was pretty stable. I’ve been using it on my everyday phone since mid-summer without any hiccups. The most persistant bug I noticed involved apps crashing when I launched them, requiring a relaunch. Annoying, sure, but hardly a show-stopper.

That’s not to say bigger bugs might be lurking, so the truly cautious may feel better by waiting to see if early adopters experience any problems upgrading or even utnil Apple releases the inevitable minor update in a week or so.

No matter when you upgrade, though, you’ll have plenty of new features to enjoy with iOS 15. It’s a welcome addition that will feel right at home on your iPhone.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2021/09/23/ios-15-review-a-better-iphone-experience/

1 Like

Re: iOS 15 Review: A Better iPhone Experience by Frank905: 8:51pm On Apr 27
Thank your stars for having the privilege to read this cause a lot of people out there are suffering and got no solution to their problems but I’m sure you gonna get yours through RecoveryBureauC @ gmail c0m by reading through my life drama. It’s so sad to share my story on here but I just want to let you all know especially those going through hard times in their relationships you are not left alone you just need to get the right hands to help you. After several months of having an affair with a bully, which was his newly embraced attitude initially when we met he was the best thing that ever happened to me cause he never wanted me sad he cares a lot and get the right things done. A few months afterwards he started putting up strange attitudes like keeping late nights, getting drunk, chatting with some thrash girls downtown and lot more. Anytime I complain I get a slap on the wrist, I couldn’t continue with this life has it hurts me badly each and everyday of my life. All I ever wanted was a good home, peace of mind and enjoy a good life but I wasn’t getting that this feeling got me sick until a certain day I got the courage and I sought for help. I came on the internet despite not being a safe place, I got the most ever needed help of my life from this super smart genius IT expert/ private investigator ( RECOVERYBUREAUC(@) GMAIL C0M ). Thank God I met Greg and he was the real deal, I saw great recommendations about him on how he helped others in their relationship, I contacted him within few minutes I got a response with some instructions and he requested for little info off his phone which I did gave him. In a short space of time, I got an email he’s got access to his phone without physical touch he sent all of his conversations with the girls ranging from text messages, call logs, zoom calls, Skype, iMessage and lot more.

(1) (Reply)

I Can't Find My Facebook Account On The Find Your Account Search / I Need New Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Today!!! / Sony Xperia Z3 Dual D6633 Have Crashed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.