Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,139 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 (3309 Views)

Aisha Yesufu Makes BBC's 100 Most Influential Women In The World / Men Of Power: Nigeria’s Most Influential Power Brokers / Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AAEEI: 8:22pm On Sep 23, 2021
Copied from Facebook

"I was recently asked by a non-Nigerian who the most INFLUENTIAL of all time Nigerian is. I could not immediately single out one person. By definition, INFLUENTIAL means having great influence on someone or something. INFLUENCE itself means the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself.

Based on the definition, the influence can be positive or negative. So keep that in mind, because it accounts for any ethnic or tribal sentiments that may be attached to this matter.

My question is, who is the MOST INFLUENTIAL NIGERIAN OF ALL TIME? Keep in mind Nigeria was created in 1914. So, anyone influential before but not after 1914 does not count in this case.

My top three are

1. Ojukwu (influenced the future of NG. If he did not spearhead the Biafra war, how would NG be today? (If he had won, how would NG be today?)
2. Buhari (greatest influence (negative) upon NG's ethnic harmony)
3. Chinua Achebe (Biggest literary influence)

Top 10 (these can be ranked in any order)

4. Gowon (influenced the future of NG. If he had let the Biafrans go, what would NG have become)? (Fighting the Biafrans was the greatest influence in the current relationship between Igbos and Nigeria)
5. Fela (greatest musical influence from NG)
6. Babangida (how would NG have been if he did not cancel Abiola's election)?
7. Zik (for his influence on the East; as president he had zero national influence)
8. Awo (for his influence on the West)
9. Ahmadu Bello (for his influence on the North)
10. Obasanjo (most nationally accomplishing of the NG leaders)"

3 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by othermen: 8:36pm On Sep 23, 2021
Aliko Dangote is more influential than those you have mentioned. When you talk about influential, it is referred, individuals that have the capability to change or alter the prevailing in the country.

Ojukwu attempted to, but he lost the leadership of his people. He could have retained the leadership despite losing the civil war and directed the choice of his peoples preference during subsequent elections. As to your other choices, what exactly has Achebe ever influenced?

Adeboye is a religious figure that commands a significant following among Christians in the country, if he tells his followers to be wary of a product, candidate or a vaccine; a significant percentage of his followers would listen to him, hence he is influential. Okonjo Iweala was able to help the country negotiate significant debt forgiveness, her ability to influence global bodies attitude towards the country earns her the status of an influential Nigerian. Dangote is not just about being a financial giant, he’s a significant power broker in Nigeria politics and Africa’s economy too.

As to the greatest Nigerian- I do not have adequate knowledge to make a choice. But Adadevoh and Akunyili comes to mind.

I think being a global acclaimed author or artist shouldn’t be the criterion to measure a great Nigerian. If your literature has led to a significant improvement for your people or how they may be perceived; then great. I rank Professor Soyinka and Professor Achebe as great Nigerians not because of their literary accomplishment but because of their consistent activism to ensure the country is better off. The question is not how entertaining or brilliant their stories or arts were, but rather; how many Nigerians are better off because of such stories? So people are better off for instance because of Awolowo’s free primary education and free primary health care conceptions that millions of Nigerians have gained and still gain dividends from.

The poorly rewarded teachers and health care providers that constantly show up each time and care for those in their charge- are also my candidates for the greatest Nigerians, along those that put themselves in harms way so that we can be safe.

N.B Although the topic here is greatest Nigerian, if you read the body, you would find the question about the most influential too, hence responses about influential and greatest.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Reflect7: 8:37pm On Sep 23, 2021
Chinua Achebe
Fela Kuti
Wole Soyinka

2 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Reflect7: 8:38pm On Sep 23, 2021
othermen:
Aliko Dangote is more influential than those you have mentioned.

This is not about money.

Do you know that Chinua Achebe is required reading in US and UK secondary schools?

An average American or Canadian kid can relate the entire story of Things Fall Apart, plus explain the cultural impact and ramifications of the novel.

Things Fall Apart is required reading in Russian schools.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 8:44pm On Sep 23, 2021
And You forgot Zik, Tafawa, Awo, Bello, Nzeogwu, Then Ojukwu but obviously Ojukwu isn't in the top 2, I would count Zik then Nzeogwu before Ojukwu, if you count Ojukwu as influential then Gowon must be more influential, Ojukwu was influential in the East, Achebe is also influential but the question is, in what regards, specifically in the contemporary I think Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is the most influential Nigerian as at today.

And again, when you say Ojukwu, do you mean Emeka Ojukwu (Jr) or Luis Ojukwu (Sr), Buhari would forever be remembered as the serial Recessionist abeg remove that guy unless you mean negative influence.

3 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Kingpin1000: 8:46pm On Sep 23, 2021
Okocha, that is one Nigerian who brought Joy to me, to be sincere.

Do you know it was just few minutes ago when I was taking my blunt with a few Puffs, that I realized that anytime we say the Nigerian Pledge we are taking an Oath or renewing it. And I hate everything about this country, everyday I break the Oath without even knowing, and I always say the pledge when I was in Nursery, Primary and secondary Schools. No wonder they told us to place our right hand on our left chest (the heart), this country has been scamming us frombyhe onset.

3 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by theInterpreter: 8:46pm On Sep 23, 2021
Chief Obafemi Awolowo
Olufela Kuti
Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti

Reflect7:
Chinua Achebe
Fela Kuti
Wole Soyinka
we are not talking about artists here

2 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by theInterpreter: 8:53pm On Sep 23, 2021
Reflect7:

This is not about money.

Do you know that Chinua Achebe is required reading in US and UK secondary schools?

An average American or Canadian kid can relate the entire story of Things Fall Apart, plus explain the cultural impact and ramifications of the novel.

And?
What da ffuck is our business with Canadian kids?

What sort of validation needing is this

AlexBells:

Your own is just always lying to smuggle Yoruba into everything which influence did Awolowo make outside the west, you can argue about fela a little but please no one knows Awo outside the West or outside Nigeria
can you read? undecided
The post said "my greatest of all time Nigerian"

Not influential
What Awolowo did is unravelled by any other Nigerian

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Abohboy: 8:54pm On Sep 23, 2021
Obafemi Awolowo
Michael Okpara
Chief Timothy Adeola Odutola

1 Like

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by PAtoGCFR2034: 8:54pm On Sep 23, 2021
Ojukwu
Chinua Achebe
Fela
Wole Soyinka
Gani Fawenhinmi.

It's not about the money or influence for those dumbos placing Aliko Dangote on the list

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 8:54pm On Sep 23, 2021
theInterpreter:
Chief Obafemi Awolowo
Olufela Kuti
Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti

Your own is just always lying to smuggle Yoruba into everything which influence did Awolowo make outside the west, you can argue about fela a little but please no one knows Awo outside the West or outside Nigeria

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by LieBurster: 8:54pm On Sep 23, 2021
Lt.Col Odumegwu Chukwuemeka Ojukwu
Maj.Patrick Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu
Okon Okon Ndem
Chinua Achebe
Gen.Mohammed Shuwa
Col.Achimpong
Col.Timothy Onwuatuegwu
Wole Soyinka
Major Gideon Gwazo Orka
Gen.Ibrahim Babangida
Gen.Sanni Abacha
Chief Alex Ekwueme
Alhaji Shehu Shagari
Nnamdi Kanu
Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Goodluck Jonathan
Oloye Sunday Igboho

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 8:55pm On Sep 23, 2021
LieBurster:
Lt.Col Odumegwu Chukwuemeka Ojukwu
Maj.Patrick Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu
Okon Okon Ndem
Chinua Achebe
Gen.Mohammed Shuwa
Col.Achimpong
Col.Timothy Onwuatuegwu
Wole Soyinka
Major Gideon Gwazo Orka
Gen.Ibrahim Babangida
Gen.Sanni Abacha
Chief Alex Ekwueme
Alhaji Shehu Shagari
Nnamdi Kanu
Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Goodluck Jonathan
Oloye Sunday Igboho
Mumu lol, na joke oo, but it is like you endorse the coup lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Reflect7: 9:00pm On Sep 23, 2021
theInterpreter:
Chief Obafemi Awolowo
Olufela Kuti
Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti

We are talking of INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE as the OP stated.

Their profession is immaterial.

Awo and Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti are nowhere near as influential as Fela Kuti or Achebe.

4 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:01pm On Sep 23, 2021
FELA
FELA
FELA

most foreigners wouldnt know any other anyway.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Blankstare(m): 9:01pm On Sep 23, 2021
Obafemi Awolowo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Abohboy: 9:01pm On Sep 23, 2021
Reflect7:

This is not about money.

Bro that's a lie i'm a student in the UK and we haven't had to read things fall apart it was optional not compulsory same goes for those in the US why do you think their knowledge on African culture and life is so limited? It isn't compulsory anywhere it is just an optional book recommended to students what is compulsory is Shakespeare Tempest, Macbeth, The Merchant Of Venice and a few of his over plays, An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men those are compulsory readings as much of Nigeria as you will get is Adichie in her Ted talk of a single story

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Nigercity: 9:02pm On Sep 23, 2021
theInterpreter:
Chief Obafemi Awolowo
Olufela Kuti
Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti

O.p didn't say
Who are the most influentials in South West
He said in Nigeria
Cos I believe ordinary Nnamdi kanu
Is even more influential than those names you mentioned even without a political career,

Anyways
I think the most influentials are
Nnamdi Azikwe
Bishop Benson idahosa
Fela kuti

2 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Nigercity: 9:03pm On Sep 23, 2021
Abohboy:

Bro that's a lie i'm a student in the UK and we haven't had to read things fall apart it was optional not compulsory same goes for those in the US why do you think their knowledge on African culture and life is so limited? It isn't compulsory anywhere it is just an optional book recommended to students what is compulsory is Shakespeare Tempest, Macbeth, The Merchant Of Venice and a few of his over plays, An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men those are compulsory readings as much of Nigeria as you will get is Adichie in her Ted talk of a single story

I never knew you where in secondary School

2 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Abohboy: 9:03pm On Sep 23, 2021
AlexBells:

He literally coined the term for the currency Naira and made the foundations of its institutions and creation? Like why're you lying Awolowo was popular outside of the west if he wasn't that popular outside of the west why was he the second most voted for candidtae in 79 as in he had more votes then Zik and Kano combined.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by LieBurster: 9:03pm On Sep 23, 2021
AlexBells:

Mumu lol, na joke oo, but it is like you endorse the coup lol
What can a man does my brother grin grin grin grin
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Abohboy: 9:03pm On Sep 23, 2021
Nigercity:

I never knew you where in secondary School

Well now you know
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Abohboy: 9:05pm On Sep 23, 2021
Nigercity:

O.p didn't say
Who are the most influentials in South West
He said in Nigeria
Cos I believe ordinary Nnamdi kanu
Is even more influential than those names you mentioned even without a political career,

Anyways
I think the most influentials are
Nnamdi Azikwe
Bishop Benson idahosa
Fela kuti

Olufunmilayo Ransome Kuti who was a pioneer activist, leader of a revolution against a king ( first in colonial era ) was unknown outside of the south west? Even the British knew of her antics
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Reflect7: 9:09pm On Sep 23, 2021
Abohboy:

Don't speak from your limited experience. It is still up to schools to make a book mandatory for Literature students, and it has happened a lot with Things fall Apart.

Excerpts;

''i read this along with my 10th grader, who was assigned this ....WHY? In a day where we are, in my opinion, struggling to keep children engaged and gaining knowledge, is this relevant?!?? as an adult, it could have been worse, but I am beyond confused as to why 15/16 year old children are required to read this

See All 2 Answers

Karen Yes, it is relevant, because the global south is still, in this day, now, struggling with the legacy of colonization/occupation.

I read it at my 10th-grader's recommendation.''

https://www.goodreads.com/book/37781.Things_Fall_Apart/questions

5 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by theInterpreter: 9:09pm On Sep 23, 2021
Reflect7:

We are talking of INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE as the OP stated.

Their profession is immaterial.

Awo and Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti are nowhere near as influential as Fela Kuti or Achebe.

can you read?

the topic said your greatest of all time Nigerian

And I responded accordingly
If you are sad
Go sleep grin

Reflect7:

DUMBO, did you not read anything after the title?

The OP clearly stated repeatedly that he meant ''most influential'', yet like a dummy, you're here posting Funmilayo Ransome Kuti.
You need a check up cheesy
I wrote the topic said your greatest of all time Nigerian

And that's MY list
So dont kill yourself grin
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 9:10pm On Sep 23, 2021
Abohboy:

He literally coined the term for the currency Naira and made the foundations of its institutions and creation? Like why're you lying Awolowo was popular outside of the west if he wasn't that popular outside of the west why was he the second most voted for candidtae in 79 as in he had more votes then Zik and Kano combined.
I put Awo even on my own list but I noticed this whole tribal Bulshit, as usual and you proven many times not to be beyond tribalism, coining the name naira is what you use as defence and being the minister of finance and coming second in an election, someone that was ousted out and was leader of opposition so the guy who designed the Nigeria flag would be what, yeye dey smell, no wonder naira falls like what I don't know.

Awo never held any central executive position for a start the OP too was a Tribalist no one puts Ojukwu without putting Gowon and still makes sense to me, Zik was the first Head of State for instance, Awo was a regional champion at best, he never held any central executive position, wonder if he ever came into Nigeria, his biggest central position was leader of opposition and a mere appointee

5 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Reflect7: 9:11pm On Sep 23, 2021
theInterpreter:
can you read?

the topic said your greatest of all time Nigerian

And I responded accordingly
If you are sad
Go sleep grin

DUMBO, did you not read anything after the title?

The OP clearly stated repeatedly that he meant ''most influential'', yet like a dummy, you're here posting Funmilayo Ransome Kuti.

1 Like

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Nigercity: 9:12pm On Sep 23, 2021
Abohboy:

Olufunmilayo Ransome Kuti who was a pioneer activist, leader of a revolution against a king ( first in colonial era ) was unknown outside of the south west? Even the British knew of her antics
Are you trying to say she's more influential or even more popular than zik of Africa?

2 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by LILTJAY: 9:17pm On Sep 23, 2021
Igbos mentioning ojukwu and azikiwe lol..
Wizkid is the most influential
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AntiMahdi: 9:20pm On Sep 23, 2021
Yes we are getting there.

Notice how the OP place Buhari in-between their Marxist heroes?

Well there is a subtle attempt by Igbos to rekindle their long love affair with the north towards their failed 2023 VP position.

Igbos, as I have always maintained will join hands with the Fulani to keep Nijeriya one and united.

Do not fall for their Biafra fraud as Igbos are in no way interested in an independent state of their own unless they annex the ND into their Zio-Shithole.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by flokii: 9:20pm On Sep 23, 2021
Chief Obafemi Awolowo..

Education remains the best legacy!

Thanks to Awo's free education for all in the West. Yorubas, Hausas, Ijaws, Itsekiris and Igbos residing in West at the time enjoyed the dividend of free education. Something Zik and others failed woefully at in their regions.

1 Like

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 9:20pm On Sep 23, 2021
LILTJAY:
Igbos mentioning ojukwu and azikiwe lol..
Wizkid is the most influential
Which Wizkid, for singing what?, I love Wizzy but abeg out him in his place, you don't compare Luther King and Kris Brown abeg everything get time, there is no Nigerian so far bigger than Zik

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2023 PRESIDENCY: Jonathan Makes U-turn On APC Ticket / Breaking: Uproar In Enugu As Group Reportedly Boo Peter Obi And Victor Umeh / E Be Like Say Obi Na Social Media Sensation!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.