Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,634 members, 7,844,047 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 (3317 Views)

Aisha Yesufu Makes BBC's 100 Most Influential Women In The World / Men Of Power: Nigeria’s Most Influential Power Brokers / Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Babinski: 10:31am On Sep 24, 2021
imam07:
Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu who led the first coup in Nigeria had the most direct and indirect influence on Nigeria. The results we are all facing in Nigeria now generated from 1966 coup by Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu. If 1966 coup did not occur, I don't think there will be anything like Fulani popularity, nothing like Buhari,no Boko haram, no religion war,no Babangida, Obasanjo or abacha.no Biafra or odua agitation. No amotekun,no meyetti Allah and so on.

No 2 The lord lugard existence had influence on Nigeria.

Not necessarily in ordee of importance, I would pick the following as the most influential Nigerians of all time:

1. Kaduna Nzeogwu and his group for the most definitive coup that changed the trajectory or journey of Nigeria as a nation till date.

2. Obafemi Awolowo for the effects of Free Education on Western Nigeria, his impact during the Civil War as Finance Minister and for championing Federalism in the country.

1 Like

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Abohboy: 10:53am On Sep 24, 2021
AlexBells:

Oga, Awo is synonymous to Western Nigeria, MI Okpara is synonymous to East, Awo was only leader of opposition for a while before he got into prison for an alleged coup.

He is just like Tinubu, you really can't compare Tinubu to Goodluck Jonathan that's how your comparison looks, no one is talking about western Nigeria, we are talking about Nigeria wait until there is thread for western Nigeria. Awo was a regional champ and leader of opposition he never smelled the center.

I don't care about what you think it is in our own opinions Awo's social democracy drive has influenced me, Okpara's industrialization and agriculture drive influenced me, Odutola's has influenced me due to his industrial projects in weaving, gold, plastics, tyres etc. There's no basis for a argument we're talking about who influenced OURSELVES the most not who influenced Nigeria the most stop crying

3 Likes

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by theInterpreter: 11:04am On Sep 24, 2021
AlexBells:

If at all you put MI Okpara it was an after thought, it is just like putting Ahmedu Bello among the most influential Nigerians, if not for the coup who could have known Bello outside the North, Okpara and Awo could have been closer on the ranking but Awo went ahead to be a minority leader but Awo was not in the same page with Zik, for Zik was a head of state.

So when you talk influential Nigeria, Zik first then, the Nzeogwu, Awo then Tafawa, Ojukwu and Gowon was in a class of their own, Ojukwu's influence is more about the East generally so if you want to be sincere there is no way you will put all three westerners when you understood they were not quite that influential apart from Fella.

The other two is pure tribalism from you, Awo doesn't rate in top 5 most influential Nigerians of all times, unless most influential westerners, he would still be dragging with Tinubu, Obj and Akintola.

Even MKO was more influential than Awo at least June 12 was in his honour so I don't know why your lots always celebrate Tribalist like yourself.
Nzeogwu?

Wetin you smoke? grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 12:34pm On Sep 24, 2021
theInterpreter:

Nzeogwu?

Wetin you smoke? grin cheesy
Tell me anyone who shock the country as much as he did
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by Nobody: 9:03am On Sep 25, 2021
Only one person fits this bill...

Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

Every other supposed influential Nigerian comes behind him.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by ba7man(m): 9:10am On Sep 25, 2021
Nigercity:

O.p didn't say
Who are the most influentials in South West
He said in Nigeria
Cos I believe ordinary Nnamdi kanu
Is even more influential than those names you mentioned even without a political career,

Anyways
I think the most influentials are
Nnamdi Azikwe
Bishop Benson idahosa
Fela kuti
Bobrisky is more influential than Nnamdi Kanu.

Kiss the truth. kiss
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by forgiveness: 9:20am On Sep 25, 2021
AlexBells:

Oga, Awo is synonymous to Western Nigeria, MI Okpara is synonymous to East, Awo was only leader of opposition for a while before he got into prison for an alleged coup.

He is just like Tinubu, you really can't compare Tinubu to Goodluck Jonathan that's how your comparison looks, no one is talking about western Nigeria, we are talking about Nigeria wait until there is thread for western Nigeria. Awo was a regional champ and leader of opposition he never smelled the center.

Who was the federal commissioner for finance, and vice chairman of the Federal Executive Council?

You don’t seem to know much.

Awolowo still remains the most influential person in Nigeria till date.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 9:23am On Sep 25, 2021
forgiveness:

Who was the federal commissioner for finance, and vice chairman of the Federal Executive Council?

You don’t seem to know much.

Awolowo still remains the most influential person in Nigeria till date.
Are those not appointments, lol, Vice Chairman lol, so who was the Chairman, stop reducing Awo to these mediocre, I'm not a fan but I can do better than this if I have to defend Awo for God sake, a former premier of Western Region holding those position is pure trash like you don't know how powerful the premier position was.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by TooMuchStuff: 9:28am On Sep 25, 2021
Awolowo

Goodluck Jonathan

TooMuchStuff//Obasanjo
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by forgiveness: 9:42am On Sep 25, 2021
AlexBells:

Are those not appointments, lol, Vice Chairman lol, so who was the Chairman, stop reducing Awo to these mediocre, I'm not a fan but I can do better than this if I have to defend Awo for God sake, a former premier of Western Region holding those position is pure trash like you don't know how powerful the premier position was.

Gowon was appointed the chairman of the executive council which made him the Head of state. What does Vice chairman translate to in this context?

Like I said you don’t know anything
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 9:50am On Sep 25, 2021
forgiveness:

Gowon was appointed the chairman of the executive council which made him the Head of state. What does Vice chairman translate to in this context?

Like I said you don’t know anything
Gowon was appointed by who?, una too dey rush with insult, I asked a simple question, Is Yakubu Gowon on the same level with Gowon?, please Gowon is in the same level with Ojukwu, as Ojukwu was also the head of state of Biafra but Awolowo was the premier of Western Region, Awolowo was never a soldier so whatever position he held during Gowon was appointment and during most part of that time, Nigeria did not technically exist becuase it was fictionalised, so I will always educate your lots for free becuase you are used to getting free education
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by forgiveness: 9:57am On Sep 25, 2021
AlexBells:

Gowon was appointed by who?, una too dey rush with insult, I asked a simple question, Is Yakubu Gowon on the same level with Gowon?, please Gowon is in the same level with Ojukwu, as Ojukwu was also the head of state of Biafra but Awolowo was the premier of Western Region, Awolowo was never a soldier so whatever position he held during Gowon was appointment and during most part of that time, Nigeria did not technically exist becuase it was fictionalised, so I will always educate your lots for free becuase you are used to getting free education

That’s why you should ask yourself how Awolowo who was not a soldier could become a Vice Chairman of the Supreme military council?

I don’t know if you even know the function of the Supreme council else your ignorant statement.

The point remains Awolowo was the Vice President of Nigeria. Whether partially or in a whole. The rest are inconsequential.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 10:09am On Sep 25, 2021
forgiveness:

That’s why you should ask yourself how Awolowo who was not a soldier could become a Vice Chairman of the Supreme military council?

I don’t know if you even know the function of the Supreme council else your ignorant statement.

The point remains Awolowo was the Vice President of Nigeria. Whether partially or in a whole. The rest are inconsequential.
My dear which Supreme Military council, lol there was no supreme Military council, you are ignorant enough to understand that the issue of the supreme Military council was what led to the war, look what Stupid Gowon reduced the Military to after we left.

Supreme military council my foot, you mean Gowon's kitchen cabinet, I thought Awo had more prestige now I'm convinced prime minister Tafawa Balawa was right in imprisoning him, classless power drunk man. The coupist always have his name.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by forgiveness: 10:19am On Sep 25, 2021
AlexBells:

My dear which Supreme Military council, lol there was no supreme Military council, you are ignorant enough to understand that the issue of the supreme Military council was what led to the war, look what Stupid Gowon reduced the Military to after we left.

Supreme military council my foot, you mean Gowon's kitchen cabinet, I thought Awo had more prestige now I'm convinced prime minister Tafawa Balawa was right in imprisoning him, classless power drunk man. The coupist always have his name.

Go and get a book of Supreme council or type it.

I don’t have time to waste here.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 10:26am On Sep 25, 2021
forgiveness:

Go and get a book of Supreme council or type it.

I don’t have time to waste here.
That's Nigeria under Arewa Oduduwa Aliiancce of 1967-70 and whatever occurred then is of very little significance to the level Awolo had reached prior to the war and his imprisonment, you had forgotten he was a leader of opposition, well Awolowo can only ever play second in the Nigerian dispensation, no wonder the only functional airport in his region is named after Murtala, lol, but Zik went on to get an airport in far away Abuja that's class.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by forgiveness: 10:36am On Sep 25, 2021
AlexBells:

That's Nigeria under Arewa Oduduwa Aliiancce of 1967-70 and whatever occurred then is of very little significance to the level Awolo had reached prior to the war and his imprisonment, you had forgotten he was a leader of opposition, well Awolowo can only ever play second in the Nigerian dispensation, no wonder the only functional airport in his region is named after Murtala, lol, but Zik went on to get an airport in far away Abuja that's class.

Does it change the fact that Awolowo was one time Vice President of Nigeria?

You can grasp for straw for all I care but you can’t change history.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 10:39am On Sep 25, 2021
forgiveness:

Does it change the fact that Awolowo was one time Vice President of Nigeria?

You can grasp for straw for all I care but you can’t change history.
Who is arguing about vice president, it is similar to leader of opposition, he was a leader of opposition for God sake, he was the premier of Western region also, he was the founder of The western party so all these things you are mentioning is way less than the man Awolowo, whatever he did with Gowon was a joke on his level seriously premier of region back then was stronger than being a vice president, I don't even know how argument from that side used to look like there is no need arguing with you people.
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by forgiveness: 1:01pm On Sep 25, 2021
AlexBells:

Who is arguing about vice president, it is similar to leader of opposition, he was a leader of opposition for God sake, he was the premier of Western region also, he was the founder of The western party so all these things you are mentioning is way less than the man Awolowo, whatever he did with Gowon was a joke on his level seriously premier of region back then was stronger than being a vice president, I don't even know how argument from that side used to look like there is no need arguing with you people.

Premier is greater than Vice President according to you, right?
Re: Who is the most influential of all time Nigerian? See top 3 by AlexBells(m): 4:20pm On Sep 25, 2021
forgiveness:

Premier is greater than Vice President according to you, right?
If the put premier and vice president In that Era before you, you will chose vice president, even today the governor of state like Lagos, Delta and Rivers could weild influence close to that of a vice president talk more of Premier of a region lol, you definitely don't know how powerful the regions were.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

G5 Governors About To Commit Political Suicide / Pastor Who Predicted Buhari Will Win Speaks Again / This Is A List Of Some Of The Roads Peter Obi Constructed In Anambra State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.