Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat (18693 Views)

Herbalist, Bricklayer Arrested In Ogun Over Killing Of Housewife For Ritual / Army Reacts To Soldier Who Stripped A Woman Naked In Ogun Over Indecent Dressing / Kleptomaniac Brothers Arrested In Ogun Over Serial Theft Of Goats, Motorcycles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Doraty1(f): 2:04pm On Sep 24, 2021
Commercial banks in Ijebu – Ode, Ogun State have closed operations for the fear of being attacked by armed robbers.

Daily Trust gathered that banks have closed shops against customers since Monday following letters allegedly sent to some of them by the suspected robbers.

The development, which has left some residents and customers stranded, was seen as a proactive measure by the bankers, our correspondent understands.

Sources said the banks maintained that they would only resume operations if the Ogun State Government assisted the police with armoured personnel carriers to be mounted close to their branches.

Some residents of Ijebu-Ode said they have been travelling to places like Sagamu, Abeokuta and others to deposit or withdraw money.

A Point-of-Sale (POS) operator, who identified himself as Salam, said the development would have adverse effects on the economic activities of the area.

He said: “We withdraw money from banks to pay our customers and we also deposit in the bank when we have large sums of money in our kitty.

“If the banks are not opening, it will negatively affect us.

“In fact, it is affecting me already. I have been going to Sagamu to make withdrawals. It is bad.”

The spokesman of the Police Command in the state, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said there was no reason for fear of attacks, saying the police had assured the banks and residents of their safety.

He said: “They are just entertaining fear where there is none; even the Area Commander and the DPOs have told them that there is no need to fear.

“Why should they be afraid because there are no Armoured Personnel Carriers (APC)? Even if the APCs are working, is it not the police that will operate them?

“The police are on ground to provide adequate security of lives and property, they are the ones that know why they are entertaining fear.

“We have assured them of their protection and our presence everywhere in Ijebu-Ode and everywhere in Ogun state. There is no reason to be panicking.”
https://dailytrust.com/banks-shut-down-in-ogun-over-armed-robbers-threat

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Rodwave: 2:09pm On Sep 24, 2021
Ogun is synonymous with armed robbery attacks. I could remember when I visited that state only to wait till 11 o'clock in the morning before Accessbank could open their banking operation for the day. All the banks were waiting for police Amoured personnel carrier to arrive before they can open their gates.

That’s the worst I have seen so far.

I pity that state

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Hardgun: 2:10pm On Sep 24, 2021
Ok
Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Davash222(m): 2:14pm On Sep 24, 2021
Rodwave:
Ogun is synonymous with armed robbery attacks. I could remember when I visited that state only to wait till 11 o'clock in the morning before Accessbank could open their banking operation for the day. All the banks were waiting for police Amoured personnel carrier to arrive before they can open their gates.

That’s the worst I have seen so far.

I pity that state
Same Ogun is synonymous to Bad roads.
Same Ogun is the headquarters of Skull mining.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Brandonx(m): 2:16pm On Sep 24, 2021
What sorts of nonsense is this ? undecided
Security is really a joke in Nigeria.
If it’s to do python dance Nigerian government can deploy soldiers.

8 Likes

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by DoctorDree(m): 2:17pm On Sep 24, 2021
Better.......Security isn’t guaranteed even if they tell the police,it’s better to avoid stories that touch than risk it......

2 Likes

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 24, 2021

1 Like

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Charmingrascal(m): 2:17pm On Sep 24, 2021
Dapo is truly a failed Governor no doubt.
Bad roads, insecurity and all sort of bad vices is rampant in Ogun State under is watch

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by chukwuibuipob: 2:17pm On Sep 24, 2021
sad December Ritual sad

1 Like

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by RPG2020(m): 2:18pm On Sep 24, 2021
It's finished shocked
Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Adekunle813: 2:19pm On Sep 24, 2021
Too bad.
Imagine in this modern world, robbers are still robbing banks and to crown it all, they are even letting banks know before operating.

And the men in blacks are saying no lele..let them come then you will see inspector Sanyeri's shoe flinging like eagle. cheesy

Davash222:

Same Ogun is the headquarters of Skull mining.

Stop being a tribalist and shuttup!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by BruncleZuma: 2:19pm On Sep 24, 2021
grin grin grin grin

Government needs to allow armed private security firms to operate, they cannot police, secure and enforce the laws of the land effectively.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Boogyman557: 2:19pm On Sep 24, 2021
HOLLY GRAM cool DAT AINT RITE. D WORLD AINT SAFE. SAME REASON I DNT USE BANK AND I DNT HVE ATM CARD. ALL I DO IS INVEST IN MY KUSH AND GET HIGH 24sc... KUSH IS LIFE AND LIFE IS KUSH. WTF MAN
Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Bar1941(m): 2:19pm On Sep 24, 2021
It shall never be well with everyone that led us to where we are currently as a country. This is too bad.

3 Likes

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by money121(m): 2:20pm On Sep 24, 2021
Ok
Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by feelgoodstuffs(m): 2:21pm On Sep 24, 2021
What is this corntree turning into?

2 Likes

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by moshoodn(m): 2:23pm On Sep 24, 2021
The threat could eventually be a diversion to hit other sleepy areas as all eyes are on Ijebu at the moment...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by ALABACONNECT(m): 2:23pm On Sep 24, 2021
Wahala

Well, for your UK used and new smart TV sets and soundbars, check my signature.
Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Mokason288(m): 2:23pm On Sep 24, 2021
grin
Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Bigchristo: 2:23pm On Sep 24, 2021
Doraty1:

Country is hard and seriously boiling, May God help us all.. amen �

1 Like

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by specialmati(m): 2:23pm On Sep 24, 2021
cool cool cool are they crazy why cant the bank management buy alot of guns and give their staffs even share give customers self.how many guns the thieves get self.just imagine if everyone in that bank had better gun those thieves cant try shit

1 Like

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by PARADIZEPRIEST: 2:24pm On Sep 24, 2021
OGUN STATE,OGUN?WITH ALL THE OGUN,PLACE OF NOTED FOR IDOLS/ JUJU CANT FLUSH OUT COMMON CRIMINALS?PITY! undecidedTHAT SHOWS THAT GOD ALMIGHTY SHOULD BE YOUR FOCUS NOT IDOLS. angry

2 Likes

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Lovenorth: 2:24pm On Sep 24, 2021
Nice one, first step to tackle insecurity in Nigeria is to ban okada and even motorcycle entirely in the country
Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by TheGift: 2:24pm On Sep 24, 2021
Doraty1:

Dapo Abiodun, I just finished reading about how you are running Ogun state like a level 13 civil servant, now this. You better wake up ooo.

2 Likes

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by JoeEeL(m): 2:24pm On Sep 24, 2021
PARADIZEPRIEST:
OGUN STATE,OGUN?WITH ALL THE OGUN,PLACE OF NOTED FOR IDOLS/ JUJU CANT FLUSH OUT COMMON CRIMINALS?PITY! undecidedTHAT SHOWS THAT GOD ALMIGHTY SHOULD BE YOUR FOCUS NOT IDOLS. angry

Since you have "God" in your region / state, mention your region / state so we can confirm to see if there are no criminal attacks there.

Enyin elenurazor, alaininnkanse ... undecided
Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Dammykran: 2:25pm On Sep 24, 2021
Haha Shay ogun state no get security ni
Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Oxtertee(m): 2:26pm On Sep 24, 2021
my advice to people around that area is to be watching and dont really stay long when ever they are around (folagbade str, lagos/ibadan garage, ibadan road for now. NPF cant be trusted when it comes to protecting lives and property of citizens, especially when if involves bank robbery. ask ido ani, okitipupa, osogbo, ikire & iwo people about the incessant bank robberies in their community which NPF hasn't be to checkmate.

belief NPF at ur own peril.

where i wan even pass go home this wkend like this.................. undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by Pharaoh4rin(m): 2:26pm On Sep 24, 2021
I respect banks armed robbers. Because robbing a bank is the height of bravery

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by ATEAMS: 2:27pm On Sep 24, 2021
Fear fear
Re: Banks Shut Down In Ogun Over Armed Robbers’ Threat by 3ple9ine(m): 2:28pm On Sep 24, 2021
I think states need to be empowered to have there own police and private security agencies should also be allowed to carry arms so that private organizations can make use of them.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Military Kills 2 Suicide Bombers In Borno / Proprietress, 3 Teachers In Prison For Using Cane On Students / Abducted Gusau University Students Spotted Receiving Medication At Madada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.