Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,027 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me (6799 Views)

Mulliner Bacalar: Bentley Unveils Car With Trim Made From 5,000-Year-old Wood / 28 Toyota Trim Level Acronyms And What They Mean / What Is Fuel Trim? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 6:40pm On Sep 24, 2021
Car Honda civic 2008

High Negative Short term and Long term fuel trim All the time, Edakun help me

But because the longterm native fuel trim hasn't crossed -25%, my ECU is yet to set a p0172 code, but my fuel consumption had been bad affected, before I do 34mpg average, now I do roughly 26mpg, same route to work

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 7:36pm On Sep 24, 2021
Nurey, timifakay, autologic, kingreign, radautowork, trygo and all them gurus, I greet una
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by kingreign(m): 7:38pm On Sep 24, 2021
Kokomo:
Car Honda civic 2008

But because the longterm native fuel trim hasn't crossed -25%, my ECU is yet to set a p0172 code, but my fuel consumption had been bad affected, before I do 34mpg average, now I do roughly 26mpg, same route to work

Alot of other stuffs and sensors needs to be checked to know why the fuel trims are the way they're.

What's your rpm when you took record of the MAF at 5.1 g/s, what's your outside temp also (what time of the day), also, what's your coolant temp reading, and your AF sensor readings in V at idle and at 2000rpm?

07034581213 send recordings to me let's chat from there.

1 Like

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 7:43pm On Sep 24, 2021
kingreign:

Alot of other stuffs and sensors needs to be checked to know why the fuel trims are the way they're.

What's your rpm when you took record of the MAF at 5.1 g/s, what's your outside temp also (what time of the day), also, what's your coolant temp reading, and your AF sensor readings in V at idle and at 2000rpm?

07034581213 send recordings to me let's chat from there.

ok boss mi, will do that tomorrow, but in the meantime, here are some other screenshot I took during the week

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 8:25pm On Sep 24, 2021
@boss kingreign , here are the readings at various rpm as requested, I pull them from my OBD2 log

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 8:34pm On Sep 24, 2021
restrict

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 8:36pm On Sep 26, 2021
ok
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 9:56am On Sep 27, 2021
radautowork help me nah
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by EngRichie: 9:25pm On Sep 27, 2021
Clean the air filter
Clean the MAF
Do these first and provide feedback. Other suggestions are things that a professional will do for you.

1 Like

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by aieromon(m): 9:47pm On Sep 27, 2021
Kokomo:
ok

You will find this very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJdCZgEiys
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 11:51am On Sep 28, 2021
EngRichie:
Clean the air filter
Clean the MAF
Do these first and provide feedback. Other suggestions are things that a professional will do for you.

I have change the air filter to a new one

I have use mass a flow cleaner to clean the mass airflow sensor

Still yet to be resolved

please gazzuzz, radautowork
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 12:01pm On Sep 28, 2021
aieromon:

You will find this very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJdCZgEiys
thanks boss
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 12:05pm On Sep 28, 2021
miss the days when radautoworks take on challenge on nairaland... chai nairaland peeps stress that wonderful lady,,, she once help me tackle my airbag issues cry embarassed wonderful woman

2 Likes

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 12:36pm On Sep 28, 2021
@ Piyke i dont mind coming to your workchop oh,, grin lolework

1 Like

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Piyke: 8:59am On Sep 29, 2021
Kokomo:
@ Piyke i dont mind coming to your workchop oh,, grin lolework

Well done boss. I don't have a shop o.

I remember having this same exact experience. Mine even went north of -19LTFT and tripped the P0172. There's no troubleshooting I didn't do: checked fuel pressure, examined injectors for leaks, etc. That was when I bought a compression gauge. Only to change where I bought petrol from, and voila, the thing started coming down on its own and the code left.
Our fuel here is legendary o. In the meanwhile, I suggest you change where you buy fuel from, and let's see.

2 Likes

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by dicksonadams(m): 12:12pm On Sep 29, 2021
Piyke:

I remember having this same exact experience. Mine even went north of -19LTFT and tripped the P0172. There's no troubleshooting I didn't do: checked fuel pressure, examined injectors for leaks, etc. That was when I bought a compression gauge. Only to change where I bought petrol from, and voila, the thing started coming down on its own and the code left.
Our fuel here is legendary o. In the meanwhile, I suggest you change where you buy fuel from, and let's see.

If have access to an advance scanner, let him reset the fuel to alcohol content in the ecu... And reset the fuel trim... But where to get that kind scanner na him he koko, can also flash the ecu to the latest or just swap it

1 Like

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by dicksonadams(m): 2:38pm On Sep 29, 2021
Try this,

You can also check you egr in case it is stuck open.

My guess is since you don't have any mis fire and your car run smooth, it is most likely some raw fuel are getting pass your exhaust valve, during the exhaust stroke which the 02 sensor sees and interprete as a rich condition. This is due to the exhaust valve not properly sitted , meaning you need a valve clearance adjustment back to manufacture specification.

For Honda you have to do your valve clearance adjustment every 100k miles

Radautoworks, piyke, autologic and trygo can assist. These are good auto guys

1 Like

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by dicksonadams(m): 2:40pm On Sep 29, 2021
Piyke:

Yours is mostly a valve adjustment, that adjust itself, I guess your car was a Toyota.. But Honda valve clearance needs to be manually adjusted
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 5:41pm On Sep 29, 2021
hmmmm, i also read about the valve clearance adjustment back to specification solution, someone said it affect the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) which leads to high negative fuel trims

1 Like

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by radautoworks: 6:06pm On Sep 29, 2021
dicksonadams:
Try this,

You can also check you egr in case it is stuck open.

My guess is since you don't have any mis fire and your car run smooth, it is most likely some raw fuel are getting pass your exhaust valve, during the exhaust stroke which the 02 sensor sees and interprete as a rich condition. This is due to the exhaust valve not properly sitted , meaning you need a valve clearance adjustment back to manufacture specification.

For Honda you have to do your valve clearance adjustment every 100k miles

Radautoworks, piyke, autologic and trygo can assist. These are good auto guys
wow... I'm just now seeing this because it wasn't in my mentions till today because the "s" wasn't there...

1 Like

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by buygala(m): 6:48pm On Sep 29, 2021
Kokomo:
miss the days when radautoworks take on challenge on nairaland... chai nairaland peeps stress that wonderful lady,,, she once help me tackle my airbag issues cry embarassed wonderful woman

Comrade, issokay please

Off your mic smiley

A high-powered committee has been set up to look into that incident and make recommendations to another 10-man committee which will review those recommendations and forward them to an implementation committee which will then implement those recommendations subject to the approval of course of an oversight committee which will be set up by a high-powered committee which will recommend suitable persons to serve on that oversight committee, subject of course, to an advisory committee that......

In fact Bros, just die the matter...the summary is that we are very much on top of the matter and will revert to you guys in due course smiley

6 Likes

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 7:14pm On Sep 29, 2021
radautoworks:
wow... I'm just now seeing this because it wasn't in my mentions till today because the "s" wasn't there...
help me ma'am
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by radautoworks: 6:12pm On Sep 30, 2021
Kokomo:
help me ma'am
just go to the shop. I don't give advice on here any more. It's unappreciated and exploited by the wrong people.

3 Likes

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Piyke: 10:20pm On Sep 30, 2021
dicksonadams:

Yours is mostly a valve adjustment, that adjust itself, I guess your car was a Toyota.. But Honda valve clearance needs to be manually adjusted

Not correct. Car is a Honda.

1 Like

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 9:11pm On Oct 11, 2021
Piyke:

Bro , you are right oh, this issue is a very tough one to correct, I have been battling with it with the help of a techy friend, we have checked most of the sensors , even used lab scope to diagonise ssome more, no fault find thus far , yet my fuel trim LTFT and STFT are shooting above -17 to -20 all the time. Mehn it is crazy, I almost want to believe this is a problem that happen to all Honda with age.

Perhaps the car uses a higher octane fuel? I have tried other fuel station though.

I did read somehere (oyinbo Honda civic forum) that I might be able to correct it by getting a flashpro manager, a device that allows one to recalibrate the OEM ECU settings. I doubt if those can be found in Naija though
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Structuralman: 9:23am On Oct 12, 2021
Kokomo:
Car Honda civic 2008

What error codes do you get when you scan?
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 12:48pm On Oct 12, 2021
Structuralman:

What error codes do you get when you scan?

I get P0172 at time, when I clear it , it doesnt re-appear till about a month. I notice slight misfire though, P0304 very rare, I think is due to the Rich condition.

I am considering a compression test on all the cylinders, hopefully it is not a case of worn or fauty engine due to rings or gasket.

Will keep the house update,

But if you have any other pointers, please assist
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Structuralman: 1:08pm On Oct 12, 2021
Kokomo:

I get P0172 at time, when I clear it , it doesnt re-appear till about a month. I notice slight misfire though, P0304 very rare, I think is due to the Rich condition.

I am considering a compression test on all the cylinders, hopefully it is not a case of worn or fauty engine due to rings or gasket.

Will keep the house update,

But if you have any other pointers, please assist

These are the possible causes for the P0304 code:

-Valve adjustment
-Faulty spark plug 4
-Clogged or faulty fuel injector 4
-Faulty ignition coil 4
-Fuel injector 4 harness is open or shorted
-Fuel injector 4 circuit poor electrical connection
-Ignition coil 4 harness is open or shorted
-Ignition coil 4 circuit poor electrical connection
-Insufficient cylinder 4 compression
-Incorrect fuel pressure
-Intake air leak
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by EngRichie: 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2021
You will need a professional to do proper diagnosis.

Kokomo:

I have change the air filter to a new one

I have use mass a flow cleaner to clean the mass airflow sensor

Still yet to be resolved

please gazzuzz, radautowork
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 8:05pm On Oct 13, 2021
EngRichie:
You will need a professional to do proper diagnosis.

I paid a professional to do the job, we threw everything at it, las las nothing worked, we suggest another ECU , but all in all , had to give up and drive the car like that, the issue is a tough one, almost unsolvable...I think

1 Like

Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Kokomo: 9:14pm On Oct 30, 2021
Piyke:

Hey bro, I change where I buy fuel but I still get high negatve fuel trim
Re: High Negative Short Term And Long Term Fuel Trim All The Time, Edakun Help Me by Piyke: 8:14pm On Oct 31, 2021
Kokomo:

Hey bro, I change where I buy fuel but I still get high negatve fuel trim

Have you checked the following:
1. Leaking injectors
2. Fuel pressure
3. MAF
4. MAP
5. O2 sensors for laziness
6. Coolant temperature switch
7. Intake air temp sensor
8. Engine air cleaner element

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Change Your Car’s Spark Plugs / Vehicle Reistration & Papers Renewal Made Easy / Custom Duty For Lexus RX 350

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.