Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! (14285 Views)

Poll: Are things beginning to change for the better?

Yes: 65% (118 votes)
No: 34% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Woman Turns Her Fridge Into A Wardrobe In This Era Of Change (pix) / The Wind Of Change Is Blowing Cross River State. / "Wind Of Hope" Offers To Sponsor Buhari, Jonathan Debate In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Segunusaid(m): 5:37pm On Nov 06, 2007
Hi it is quite interesting to see a silent revolution taking place in Nigeria, i hope it contineus. But untill we get to a level where Nigerian disclose zero tolerance for corruption ther can not be development in Nigeria.

It is my hope that the administration of president Yar Adua will strenghten the institutional framework necessary for safeguarding our nascent democracy.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by frag(m): 3:59am On Nov 08, 2007
Aisha
I suppose the more you travel around Nigeria the more of those sad stories you will have to tell. Its a general problem,I was in jigawa in 1999 for a year, then it was the case of almajiris.
I really believe its only God that will help this country cause none of the political parties has anything to offer the country they are just like the ones in the past-thieves. If people like IBB are still walking free tell me what deters others from stealing all the country's weath? Efcc is a political tool that will fadeway when PDP colapse.I pray for all of us.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by ettehgate(m): 2:43pm On Nov 08, 2007
yes o
a sweet wind of change is blowing every where.
even if poor pure water is ten naira in abuja grin
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by cyprianjr(m): 9:36pm On Nov 10, 2007
well to be candid,i'd say i don't see anything new really.Infact,sometimes i get tempted to think maybe Africa as a whole is meant to be this way ( under developed ) forever, i mean come to think of it,what is even so hard about this governing of a thing,why is the average African man so stubborn and evil hearted,why is it that we care so much about money and not for humanity,why does life mean little or nothing at all to the average Nigerian,maybe there is an evil spirit somewhere that has cursed Nigeria not to have steady power supply forever,why are Nigerian roads so terrible,why are there lot of sad faces in this country?

, so many questions and you begin to wonder, ahh Femi sang about this already.

Dearest God,i want everybody to be happy, Nigerians ain't all truly happy,i know you visit nairaland.com, please help Nigeria please in Jesus name.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by grafikdon: 10:18pm On Nov 10, 2007
This wind still dey blow? grin
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Horus(m): 10:55pm On Nov 10, 2007
Nigeria: Corruption - Stakeholders Canvass Zero Tolerance

7 November 2007
Lagos

A coalition of civil society organisations drawn from all over Nigeria have called for complete zero tolerance to corruption and related practices in every facet of the society, as a panacea to rapid growth and development.The concerned stakeholders, at an anti-corruption forum organised by the Committee for the Defence of Human Rights (CDHR) in Lagos, stressed the need for a Civil Society Initiative to energise the anti-corruption campaign and mobilise the Nigerian masses to assume ownership of the campaign so as to guarantee its sustenance and continuation beyond the various anti-graft agencies in the country.The forum, which was convened CDHR at its National Secretariat was attended by representatives of Civil Society Organisations engaged in different thematic areas, including membership based, mass based, community based, faith based, cultural, Non-Governmental, professional, and youth organisations. crimeAt the intensive event, a critical appraisal of the character, nature and content of the Federal Government-driven anti-corruption campaign and the controversies surrounding the activities of anti-graft agencies in Nigeria was taken, while a communiqué, signed by Messrs. Seyi Olubanjo, Chairman, Barr. Malachy Ugwumadu Communiqué General Secretary, CDHR Drafting Committee and Barrister Olasupo Ojo President, CDHR, was drafted to reflect the demands of the coalition.Participants at the forum observed that corruption is fundamentally an economic and political question which is continuously fertilised by poverty and can only be effectively addressed by a progressive, legitimate and people-driven government.; and that Nigerians have relentlessly stood against corruption in all its forms since the inception of the nation and they remain vigilant and resolute in their zero tolerance for corruption.They also noted that the existing anti-corruption agencies like EFCC, ICPC, Police, Code of Conduct Bureau etc. are not independent but are tools in the hands of corrupt politicians who are both inside and outside the government machinery and are being used for corruptly persecuting political opponents as was experienced under General Olusegun Obasanjo.To them, the current government-driven anti-corruption crusade is cosmetic and lacks the requisite moral authority, legitimacy and acceptability of the people of Nigeria, given the fact that the present government itself is erected on a corrupt and morally-bankrupt and illegitimate foundation since the elections that brought it into power was massively rigged.The participants also noted that because the EFCC, ICPC, Police, Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) and the Fix Nigeria Initiative of the EFCC are dependent on and subject to governmental control, CSOs have no confidence in them to champion genuine people-owned anti-corruption campaign. They also observed that no miracle should be anticipated from the ICPC, EFCC, CCB, the Police and other anti-graft agencies because their activities are allegedly selective and marred with controversies such as the concept of plea-bargaining with looters of public treasuries.The international community was also accused of paying only lip service to the issues of transparency, due process and corruption in Nigeria, because they are the ultimate beneficiaries of looted public wealth in Nigeria which are lodged in their banks to boost their various economies.
Noting the impact of corruption on the vulnerable people and the need to further protect the interest of the Nigerian masses who constitute the ultimate victims of corruption, the forum resolved that members of the genuine and people-oriented civil society organisations should be wary in their engagement with and not turn themselves into willing instruments in the hands of the caged governmental anti-corruption agencies."Civil Society intervention in the crusade against corruption must include the injection of anti-corruption issues in the different thematic areas of activism by every CSO; while civil society lawyers must resolve to employ Strategic Impact Litigation (SIL) techniques in fighting specific cases of corruption in Nigeria", the communiqué stated.Mass-based CSOs were enjoined to regularly organise and execute mass-targeted programs like public rallies, symbolic walks, symposia and lectures to further deepen the conscientisation of the people against corruption; while there was a call that tertiary institutions and campuses, market platforms, trade unions, anti-graft clubs, and faith platforms must be mobilised as potent vanguards for sustainable anti-corruption campaign by the Civil Society.They noted that the passage of the Freedom of Information (FoI) Bill for effective monitoring and information dissemination on corrupt practices in the public and private institutions must be achieved; and that there is equally urgent need for the enactment of a Whistle-Blowers Act to protect members of the public and further legitimise the fight against corruption. Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) were urged to install anti-corruption mechanisms in their structures so as to demonstrate the requisite transparency and moral standing to fight corruption in Nigeria."Only a legitimate, democratic and progressive people-driven government can guarantee a successful anti-corruption crusade in Nigeria; this calls for the formation of a progressive mass based political party that will wrestle political power from the corrupt ruling class in Nigeria", participants said. In an unanimously adopted communiqué, the forum called on the Nigerian people to rise up, take their destiny in their hands and insist on zero-tolerance for corruption especially in government.The Committee for the Defence of Human Rights (CDHR) was commended for hosting the meeting and urged not to relent in the deployment of its structures nationwide for the anti-corruption crusade and protection of the interest of the masses of Nigeria.

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/200711070264.html
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by hollandis(f): 9:22am On Nov 16, 2007
i heard the chairman's comment in the media.I must confess that he is just following the footpaths of his predecessors,pple who would come on air and talk trash.There is no doubting that what he said is of greta necessity and paramount importance.But the part I would like to quote is in the last 3 or 4 lines In an unanimously adopted communiqué, the forum called on the Nigerian people to rise up, take their destiny in their hands and insist on zero-tolerance for corruption especially in government

i dnt know what u pple think,but i feel if it was the communique issued after a mmoney wasting meetin.It is balderdash.How can i fight an erring official or a corrupt policeman .I hate this kind of albatross.nonsense
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by magicj(m): 12:47pm On Nov 23, 2007
cool,u are wright, i wonder why on earth,the Big men who looted the treasury of our country would be honoured at various occassion in the same country,today we feel something has change but not so,becos the government are yet to make them accounted for the stoling wealth, our problem really is we have set of leaders that are not sincere with the country,they have send the common man to abject poverty so that they wiill not be question during the quest for survival.if the present govt want to do the right things let OBJ AND HIS BOYS be probe,then everybody will sit right. let watch out.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 24, 2007
Until i can shout up nepa and down nepa no more because I have a steady electric supply, until I do not have to start looking for well water due to water scarcity( which have nearly caused me my life due to the fact I have nearly tripped into a well if not for God), then I would follow suit and say a sweet wind of change is blowing in Nigeria O!!
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Orosunnuku(m): 3:54pm On Nov 25, 2007
Sweet wind of change, with the present worse security system, highly unstable energy, poor roads and other infrastructures?
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by dot2002(m): 10:32pm On Nov 27, 2007
if you can't beat them join them or better still rant behind the firewall like this forum
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Tonyblu(m): 5:29pm On Mar 09, 2008
Which way we dey go?
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by yarodin: 8:33am On Jan 20, 2009
I guess that sweet change that some of uswere smelling was just some cheap french perfume to cover the stink that is still Nigeria.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 20, 2009
yarodin:

I guess that sweet change that some of uswere smelling was just some cheap french perfume to cover the stink that is still Nigeria.
You are so right, I was decieved.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Jan 20, 2009
roflmao!!! Good to dig up these threads and review what has happened so far! lol
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by BOSS7: 1:54pm On Jan 20, 2009
Yeah I could see. They're all now regretting.

Nicely.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by SkyBlue1: 2:01pm On Jan 20, 2009
I wouldn't really laugh at the thought of looking back at this thread at all, seems a bit heartless to laugh at hope. However this thread is an edifice to dreams without actions to realise such. Like seems to hwappen every other day in Nigeria anyway.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by olanajim(m): 3:24pm On Jan 20, 2009
@Aisha2, Kobojunke,

this thread is in SEASON TWO! I wasn't part of SEASON ONE, but it is good to see how far the wind of change had taken Nigeria. Unfortunately, I am going to be on the positive side. I believe there is positive wind of change going on in Nigeria.

Like a soap opera, this thread can't die until Nigeria is dead. Because this thread is Xtremely Nigeria.

I am proud, though sad, to say a BITTER SWEET WIND OF CHANGE IS BLOWING IN NIGERIA!
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by tine(f): 6:36pm On Jul 18, 2009
Our leadership has been undeniably corrupt and remained corrupt. The average Nigerian however can be unbelievably selfish. I feel the average Nigerian on the street also needs to change his selfish way of thinking. most Nigerians crying foul to day would do the same or worse if given leadership.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Jul 08, 2010
Oh the wind of change . . . I remember this thread! lol
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Dede1(m): 5:54pm On Jul 08, 2010
Original post was an epitome of political naïveté and myopic. It conjures fool’s theory in elaborated sentences.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 08, 2010
sweet wind of change episode 2

we have johnny the messiah, the man who listend to the pulse of the nation via facebook

already ushering naija intop the promised via dramatic reforms in football and power and slashing budgets from 16billion to 9.5 billion
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Kobojunkie: 11:27pm On Jul 08, 2010
@Oyb, you need to keep the list for us cause in less than a year, we would like to do a recap before we go out to cast our votes grin
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 08, 2010
posted this on page 1

the REAL wind of change will come when LEGISLATORS begin to impeach thieves from office, when the common man's vote starts making a statement at the polls and when governors who steal no longer cling to the "immunity clause" to stay in office whether they are members of the ruling party or not.
As far as i'm concerned all these is a charade meant to decieve.

I'm glad these governors are in jail but WHERE are the bigger fish?

I wasnt proved wrong. Wind of change ko, breeze of the past ni.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Kobojunkie: 11:35pm On Jul 08, 2010
londoner

Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria!
« #78 on: July 25, 2007, 10:37 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aisha, I agree wholeheartedly with you, Nigeria has indeed turned a corner. Its is starting from the top and will continue until we all feel it.

The only thing that is constant is change.

Where is this dude to justify his post here ? ROFLMAO!!
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by AbuMaryam1(m): 10:27pm On Feb 21, 2011
let the wind of change that crosses Egypt cross Nigeria. Amen
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Kilode1: 10:40pm On Feb 21, 2011
^Ok.

Subscribing for season 3 of "The Wind Wey No Dey Tire To Blow" cheesy
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Sinachay: 3:04pm On Dec 03, 2011
Jonathan 'sweet wind' don dey blow na! grin
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Kobojunkie: 3:06pm On Dec 03, 2011
What a great time to resurrect this wonderful thread . . , . created back in 2007.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by egift(m): 3:51pm On Dec 03, 2011
No be small wind dey blow:
- Boko Haram
- Toll Gate coming back
- Removal of subsidy
- Increase of Fuel price
- Everything else to increase price
- Legislators taking 25% of the national budget for themselves
- Nigeria Bombed on our most important day since independence (no arrest)

More Fresh Wind - coming soon grin
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by egift(m): 3:59pm On Dec 03, 2011
More Fresh Air:
- More government expansion
- Australia 170-delegate + aides expedition
- New York 120 man extravaganza
- YouWIN 50billion - 1200 slot lotto
- Bread selling at FEC meeting

More fresh storm on the way grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

FG Withholds Edo State Statutory Allocation – Oshiomhole Alleges / Black Marketers Take Over As Filling Stations Run Dry Of Fuel / Boko Haram Collects Taxes From Captured Towns In Borno, Yobe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.