Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,986 members, 7,814,364 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued (25646 Views)

Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) / Pastor Shedrack Bako, 4 Others Drown As Boat Capsizes In Taraba / Lagos Boat Capsize: Pregnant Woman Dies, 16 Missing In (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Eriokanmi: 10:10pm On Sep 27, 2021
kjhova:

Why do any sane business and any sane person need the state governor to tell them to ensure the safety of their own lives and businesses?! Pray tell!
What's the number one duty of every state governor? Any governor who has failed in discharging this is a failure. What's bad or wrong if the governor ban, section and prosecute the erring company? If you dig deep, it's either the owner is a close ally of Mr governor or his relation. There's no single quarter of a year such unfortunate incident doesn't happen. Check it. They won't act until one of their family members fall victim.

1 Like

Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by kjhova(m): 10:11pm On Sep 27, 2021
Eriokanmi:
What's the number one duty of every state governor? What's bad or working is the governor ban, section and prosecute the erring company? If you dig deep, it's either the owner is a close ally of Mr governor or his relation. There's no single quarter of a year such unfortunate incident doesn't happen. Check it.

While your concerns are valid, your claims above are guesswork unless you wanna back them up.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Myself2(m): 10:15pm On Sep 27, 2021
NwaNimo1:
Life jackets?

[img]https://media1./images/2b3c8f98e7b16989c27160109360e93d/tenor.gif?itemid=17290851[/img]

Ogbeni why not keep quiet or simply ask questions rather you than jump to conclusion.
All the passengers on the ferrys that ply Marina Ikorodu water way all wear life jackets , why do you think there was no death except the one who died on the way to the hospital who I'm sure must have suffered shock or an injury but NOT drowning
You think it was all those NIWA , LASWA and boat operators that were responsible for saving the passengers, fa fa fa foul. It was their life jackets, those other bodies just brought boats with which the passengers were later evacuated
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Crofton: 10:38pm On Sep 27, 2021
melaniaup:
This is a very bad scene to watch, we need to put an end to all this come 2023. For a better technical support in every aspect needed

Vote for Uzor Orji Kalu to make U Ok

And many aspects Ok

God Forbid !

Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Bigchristo: 10:49pm On Sep 27, 2021
fergie001:

SOURCE
The government should pay attention to our waterways and give strict instructions on how the boat companies operate, to ensure such safety of movements in waterways, kudos to the response team for a job well done, with my understanding they successfully rescued the 17 passengers on the boat only that one died on the way to hospital , RIP to the dead
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Bigchristo: 10:54pm On Sep 27, 2021
Eriokanmi:
What's the number one duty of every state governor? Any governor who has failed in discharging this is a failure. What's bad or wrong if the governor ban, section and prosecute the erring company? If you dig deep, it's either the owner is a close ally of Mr governor or his relation. There's no single quarter of a year such unfortunate incident doesn't happen. Check it. They won't act until one of their family members fall victim.
I agree with you, the only time our government act swiftly is when the situation affects their close relationship or allies.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Hassanmaye(m): 10:57pm On Sep 27, 2021
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Bunmhi(f): 10:59pm On Sep 27, 2021
RIP
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Bluffly: 11:16pm On Sep 27, 2021
vibbb:
There's need for the government to pay more attention to the safety of our water ways by enforcing safety codes and introducing modern boats for effective and safe movement. RIP to the dead.
Citizens themselves should also value their lives and stop being stupid calling it bravery
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by falcon01: 11:16pm On Sep 27, 2021
UTILITYMAY:
Everyone saying no life jacket, no life jacket! What will a life jacket do for passengers that does not know how to use it, neither know how to swim? Meanwhile, they give life jackets to passengers, but a boat capsizing in the middle of deep waters is a very dangerous situation. Thank God they got quick response to rescue, if not I am not sure anyone would survive the accident.

RIP to the dead and I wish others quick recovery!
its obvious you don't know how life jacket Works
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by FILEBE(m): 11:28pm On Sep 27, 2021
melaniaup:
This is a very bad scene to watch, we need to put an end to all this come 2023. For a better technical support in every aspect needed

And many aspects Ok

You people have come again. You have come again! You are packaging another politician to sell to us again. Are you not ever tired? Sufer no dey tire una?
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Traplord09: 11:37pm On Sep 27, 2021
Land die, air die, water die, everythin die ooo
What a nation.. Bush for were die at bendit side
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by adebayo111: 11:47pm On Sep 27, 2021
laswa uses local boat operators for their operation. they didn't show enough seriousness and commitment. they were building terminals but they refused to invest in modern day ferry
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Lightorder: 11:49pm On Sep 27, 2021
Little wonder. I was watching some of those boats ,running like mad beneath 3rd main land bridge on my way back from work today
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Henricarter(m): 12:02am On Sep 28, 2021
melaniaup:

And many aspects Ok

b like the way he left abia state n there roads
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by semitunde: 1:00am On Sep 28, 2021
ComeToJesus:
Most times, passengers are handed life jackets. Truth is, they are largely fake, substandard or expired life vests.

They should invest in Red Horse life vests. The flotability has been tested already and certified.
Personally, I board with my personal lifevest. I don't use theirs.

If you favour water transportation in a place like Nigeria that pays lips service to Health and Safety, then get an original lifevest.

Where can one get it? Links pls.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by ComeToJesus: 1:21am On Sep 28, 2021
semitunde:

Where can one get it? Links pls.

Any safety accessories shop or marine accessories shop. Coconut area of Apapa has many of such outlets.

1 Like

Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Bifwoli: 2:14am On Sep 28, 2021
vibbb:
There's need for the government to pay more attention to the safety of our water ways by enforcing safety codes and introducing modern boats for effective and safe movement. RIP to the dead.
But the slum dwellers of Makoko can't afford modern boats though.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by frog12: 2:38am On Sep 28, 2021
don't even take these boats
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by shagarinews: 3:43am On Sep 28, 2021
Stop this lies..most of the boats are death traps. If you go to ikorodu ferry terminus.. you will weep and � pray before entering that jargons they call boat.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by amazingspiderma: 5:39am On Sep 28, 2021
People think Safety is expensive, but it prevents us from paying the ultimate price.
That's the truth about safety.

Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Mac2016(m): 6:20am On Sep 28, 2021
I read thru numerous comments here and they are grossly assumptive. It's an exposition of how we rationalise judgement without facts in this part of the world.

I plied that route last week Tuesday! Thank God for his protection.

Little info: life vest is always enforced by officials to on board for that water route. I have always wondered if the vest are functional tho they look so but I don't think life vests are made to last forever without routine check if they are still efficient.

The sailors and their engine operators use to form strong people atimes.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Mom007(f): 7:00am On Sep 28, 2021
UTILITYMAY:
Everyone saying no life jacket, no life jacket! What will a life jacket do for passengers that does not know how to use it, neither know how to swim? Meanwhile, they give life jackets to passengers, but a boat capsizing in the middle of deep waters is a very dangerous situation. Thank God they got quick response to rescue, if not I am not sure anyone would survive the accident.

RIP to the dead and I wish others quick recovery!
You don't need to know how to swim to use a life jacket! Just put the darn thing on! You sef, u clearly don't know what a life jacket is... It keeps you afloat in the water until help comes. How do u get on a rickety boat on the ocean without a life jacket? We take too many risks in this country. Unnecessary risks! I'd rather grow old in traffic than enter a boat without life jacket.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by UTILITYMAY(m): 7:10am On Sep 28, 2021
kjhova:

1) it is not "deep" waters as it's only the Lagos lagoon.
2) life jackets are exactly meant for people who can't swim!
3) life jackets aren't meant to be "used". Just wear one before embarking on a water based activity. It's not exactly rocket science for anyone who has worn a shirt before.
4) I sincerely hope that you really aren't suggesting that life jackets don't matter!

I never said life jackets does not matter, only if we could see a picture of the accident, and you'll see they are all on life jackets.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by UTILITYMAY(m): 7:14am On Sep 28, 2021
Mom007:

You don't need to know how to swim to use a life jacket! Just put the darn thing on! You sef, u clearly don't know what a life jacket is... It keeps you afloat in the water until help comes. How do u get on a rickety boat on the ocean without a life jacket? We take too many risks in this country. Unnecessary risks! I'd rather grow old in traffic than enter a boat without life jacket.

You don't need to assume that I don't know what life jacket is. I have used it more than 100 times on that same water line where the accident occur! There is no time they don't give life jackets, that's my point.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by UTILITYMAY(m): 7:17am On Sep 28, 2021
falcon01:
its obvious you don't know how life jacket Works

Because you assume I don't know how it works. If use boats, just pray you are not a victim of a capsized boat.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by majamajic(m): 7:36am On Sep 28, 2021
Can life jacket prevent ship from capsizing ?

Why everyone shouting life jacket ?
As if they all lost their lives ,17 passengers , one died on the way to hospital . How now people talking about non use of life jackets ?

We need sense in this country , common to read and understand is wahala !
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by GloryGloryRufus(m): 7:59am On Sep 28, 2021
Silva79:
Those life jackets are fake!
The life jackets are not fake, the 16 that were rescued are those on life jackets. Remember even when you are on life jacket, you still need someone to rescue you. So, do not confuse the word rescue to lack of Personal protective equipment. PPE. Be guided.

1 Like

Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by Offpoint1: 8:44am On Sep 28, 2021
winterlover:
No life jackets. Obviously a local boat operator.
I ply the route on daily, no boat will move if a single passenger is not on life jacket.
The issue is, most of the life jackets are 100 years old and useless if any accident should occur.

If you can't swim, it's better you take a ferry... At least they all have new life jackets.
Re: Passenger Boat Capsizes In Lagos, One Dies, 16 Rescued by winterlover: 9:14am On Sep 28, 2021
Offpoint1:

I ply the route on daily, no boat will move if a single passenger is not on life jacket.
The issue is, most of the life jackets are 100 years old and useless if any accident should occur.

If you can't swim, it's better you take a ferry... At least they all have new life jackets.
Nawa oooo. 100 years old. I weak boss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My First Flight Experience; I Won’t Lie I Almost Peed! / I Regretted The Prayers I Offered To God To Take Me To Usa / Badagry Expressway Bad Road: The Pains, Agony And Trauma Of Road Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.