Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID (3118 Views)

Apple To Release iPhone 13 In September / Security Firm Bypassed Iphone X Face ID With 3D Face Mask Model / Tecno Phantom Z Mini Screen Replacement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by meshachdbuzz(m): 2:47pm On Sep 28, 2021
Apple did it again... iPhone 13 screwed 3rd party repair..
Because if you break the display, your only course for a repair will be Apple or an Apple-authorized repair center.

Why is that?

It seems that Apple has tied the display -- yes, the display -- to the Face ID mechanism. This means that if you get a new display fitted, and the person fitting that display cannot carry out the proper pairing wizardry, then Face ID is dead.

Don't believe me?
Now, not only are these videos impressive because we get to see someone so comfortably swapping parts inside a new iPhone, but we also get definitive proof that Apple has bound the display to the security system that deals with Face ID.

What this means is that if the display is swapped, the iPhone detects the change and disables Face ID.

So, if you break your display, your only current option is to go to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, and outside of AppleCare+, your out of warranty costs will be as follows:

iPhone 13 Pro Max: $329
iPhone 13 Pro: $279
iPhone 13: $279
iPhone 13 Mini: $229

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-elQNEvlqrk
https://www-zdnet-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/the-iphone-13-means-the-end-to-cheap-screen-repairs/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zdnet.com%2Farticle%2Fthe-iphone-13-means-the-end-to-cheap-screen-repairs%2F

1 Like

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by meshachdbuzz(m): 3:21pm On Sep 28, 2021
Imagine apple releases a car and after a while you get new wheels for it and the car knows those aren't the original wheels and lock up the car so it won't move amd displays a warning " not original wheels, drive is unavailable" we should probably expect that grin grin

13 Likes

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by seunfly: 4:34pm On Sep 28, 2021
I think they v always discouraged self repair in the past, people finds a way to break that software in the past and they will still do same to iPhone 13.
My own is that people allows apple to bound them far too much.

6 Likes

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by meshachdbuzz(m): 5:07pm On Sep 28, 2021
seunfly:
I think they v always discouraged self repair in the past, people finds a way to break that software in the past and they will still do same to iPhone 13.

Thinking maybe reprogramming the screen will work as dey have been doing on the true tone and battery

Let's wait for the Chinese ppl to figure it out
If not eeh

We go see many iPhone 13 without face ID oo
Or any crack screen iPhone 13 go cheap die

1 Like

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by OneGeek(m): 9:40pm On Sep 28, 2021
meshachdbuzz:
Imagine apple releases a car and after a while you get new wheels for it and the car knows those aren't the original wheels and lock up the car so it won't move amd displays a warning " not original wheels, drive is unavailable" we should probably expect that grin grin
Tesla already does that. Right to repair is a really complicated issue. On the one hand, the company can "overdo" it with ridiculous markups and charges. On the other hand, third-party repair personnel could use unauthorized parts (like, it's original but the proceeds don't get to the manufacturer) and shrewd means in a bid to cut into the company's bottom line mercilessly.

In the end, consumers should decide with their money. Legislators, companies and stragglers know this so everyone tries to appeal to your emotions.

1 Like

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by Denn(m): 6:16am On Sep 29, 2021
And the irony is that Face ID is so sweet that it makes no sense to buy one without it.

For android humans, Face ID is not the same as your prehistoric face unlock. It might look like it does the same thing but it doesn’t. It is like saying Rolls Royce or Toyota.

My final conclusion. If you cannot pay the cost to maintain a lifestyle, you simply can’t afford it. If your limit na Iphone 6s, my brother dey that limit. Na same IOS15 dem dey use. Original Iphone SE still runs IOS 15 and is still very much fluid.

1 Like

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by DONFRANSKID(m): 7:06am On Sep 29, 2021
In lucky dude's voice
I'm a prisoner

2 Likes

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by emae009(m): 8:26am On Sep 29, 2021
seunfly:

you guys say Android gives you choices and complain how Apple is limiting those choices with their platform.
How is it that when people now decide to use their right to choose (choices) and they choose the iPhone, suddenly Apple is slaving them.
isn't that low key hypocrisy??

1 Like

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by Ola17: 9:40am On Sep 29, 2021
emae009:

you guys say Android gives you choices and complain how Apple is limiting those choices with their platform.
How is it that when people now decide to use their right to choose (choices) and they choose the iPhone, suddenly Apple is slaving them.

Well said sir.
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by Denn(m): 11:22am On Sep 29, 2021
seunfly:

The Apple Ecosystem is better experienced than explained.

I was an Android fan from inception of Android but became 'born-again' when i used an Iphone 6 some years ago. Now i am fully Apple and even learning App Dev using Apple's SDK. When you combine your iPhone with your MacBook Pro, an Apple Watch and an AirPods Pro, you will now understand what you have been missing all these years running a virus-laden windows laptop and a bloated Android that needs 3gb just to load an OS fluidly.

Apple was not against self repair before matters of Privacy became a concern. The use of third party repair kits can introduce a form of 'middle-man' attack. If third-party chinese companies can manufacture parts that can interface between the user's biometric authentication details and the private keys on the device, there is a tendency for breach.

Remember the case with Huawei where it was alleged that their systems had spyware built in.

Thats why i just sneer when i see all these Infinix and Xiaomi phones which are laden with bloatware that constantly send users' details to one funny server somewhere.

Apple products are currently one of the most 'privacy-focused' gadgets in the market today...and the game is just starting.

PS: Ask yourself this question: Why is it that all these loan apps in Nigeria focus on Androids more than on IOS?

It is simply because many of them would not pass Apple's Privacy requirements and will not work the same way they work on Android.

Apple implements a sandbox system where by Apps are prevented from gathering or modifying data stored by other apps. so your loan apps cant just steal all your contacts and messages (which they do on android).

3 Likes

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by seunfly: 12:54pm On Sep 29, 2021
emae009:

How has this turn to Apple vs Android fan boy War?

This is my problem with people who use things based on fanatism instead of experience and benefit.
@Denn as really explain the true situation which is plausible reason but many believes it is just an excuse to make more money.

Every company has their weaknesses and pro but trying to feel attack or offended when people point out the weaknesses is nothing short of fanatism.

@Denn u are partly right, infact privacy is not the only tenable excuse apple gave but uses of cheap inferior third-party spare part which could cause damage to other parts. However we all know it is to make more money at it was seen in a case of Norway repair shop, the repair shop owner get his spare directly from same Chinese factory but at far less price compare to what Apple gave him and he repair for far less price than what Apple normally charge.

Well that is Apple business model and that is where they makes their own money.

1 Like

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by emae009(m): 1:17pm On Sep 29, 2021
seunfly:

How has this turn to Apple vs Android fan boy War?

This is my problem with people who use things based on fanatism instead of experience and benefit.
@Denn as really explain the true situation which is plausible reason but many believes it is just an excuse to make more money.

Every company has their weaknesses and pro but trying to feel attack or offended when people point out the weaknesses is nothing short of fanatism.

@Denn u are partly right, infact privacy is not the only tenable excuse apple gave but uses of cheap inferior third-party spare part which could cause damage to other parts. However we all know it is to make more money at it was seen in a case of Norway repair shop, the repair shop owner get his spare directly from same Chinese factory but at far less price compare to what Apple gave him and he repair for far less price than what Apple normally charge.

Well that is Apple business model and that is where they makes their own money.

it's not no fanboy war or anything...
can you explain "My own is that people allow Apple bound them too much" without making it seem like the people that buy Apple products don't know what they are getting into??
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by seunfly: 1:26pm On Sep 29, 2021
emae009:

it's not no fanboy war or anything...
can you explain "My own is that people allow Apple bound them too much" without making it seem like the people that buy Apple products don't know what they are getting into??

It simply means what I meant in my original write up and it is a weakness or con on the side of apple just like marketing data is a weakness or con on side of Alphabet Inc.

People living with those cons does not make it right and it will always be point of talk. Infact it will always be used as point of marketing by all party involves, however getting offended by is nothing short of fanatism like I v said b4.
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by seunfly: 1:41pm On Sep 29, 2021
[quote author=Denn post=106268967]And the irony is that Face ID is so sweet that it makes no sense to buy one without it.

For android humans, Face ID is not the same as your prehistoric face unlock. It might look like it does the same thing but it doesn’t. It is like saying Rolls Royce or Toyota.

My final conclusion. If you cannot pay the cost to maintain a lifestyle, you simply can’t afford it. If your limit na Iphone 6s, my brother dey that limit. Na same IOS15 dem dey use. Original Iphone SE still runs IOS 15 and is still very much fluid.

[/quobefore.

This is my problem, seeing everyday tools as lifestyle not too good.

I wanted to buy a new phone because my last phone had screen problem but what I use my phone for only few Android can do it because it requires pure processing power but I'm very sure any iphone with A14 will handle it flawlessly but the thought of iphone being lifestyle rather a pure tools turned me off, I just went for samsung s21 ultra which was even more expensive than the existing iphone as at that time, but nobody really sees as a status or lifestyle infact alot of people don't really know it.

Iphone is a great tool of it's class but turning it to status thing and maintaining it is taking out its greatest capacity as a tool.

1 Like

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by arthurwillia(m): 1:55pm On Sep 29, 2021
meshachdbuzz:

Thinking maybe reprogramming the screen will work as dey have been doing on the true tone and battery

Let's wait for the Chinese ppl to figure it out
If not eeh

We go see many iPhone 13 without face ID oo
Or any crack screen iPhone 13 go cheap die

Even if the later figure it out, na still nonsense e go be, changed my Xsmax screen now to chinko oled, e no reach one month, it started showing a line on its screen because it can’t withstand pressure

1 Like

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by emae009(m): 11:54pm On Sep 29, 2021
seunfly:

It simply means what I meant in my original write up and it is a weakness or con on the side of apple just like marketing data is a weakness or con on side of Alphabet Inc.

People living with those cons does not make it right and it will always be point of talk. Infact it will always be used as point of marketing by all party involves, however getting offended by is nothing short of fanatism like I v said b4.

You're perpetuating a stereotype and that's what I'm talking about. We see this everyday. From Apple is ripping it's user off to iPhone is too expensive. It's 2021, can we stop with it. The S21 Ultra is literally more expensive than the iPhone 13 pro max that's is the same price as the 11 pro max but I haven't seen anyone said anything on that with Samsung but immediately Apple announced the iPhone 13, everywhere was filled with iPhone is too expensive and all that.
I mean they don't want you to use 3rd party repair, that's their business model. Can you respect that? Apple is not the only company that follows that philosophy.
I really have no idea why you trying to push this to fanatism when it's clear as day that you're just perpetuating a stereotype

2 Likes

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by seunfly: 5:06am On Sep 30, 2021
emae009:

You're perpetuating a stereotype and that's what I'm talking about. We see this everyday. From Apple is ripping it's user off to iPhone is too expensive. It's 2021, can we stop with it. The S21 Ultra is literally more expensive than the iPhone 13 pro max that's is the same price as the 11 pro max but I haven't seen anyone said anything on that with Samsung but immediately Apple announced the iPhone 13, everywhere was filled with iPhone is too expensive and all that.
I mean they don't want you to use 3rd party repair, that's their business model. Can you respect that? Apple is not the only company that follows that philosophy.
I really have no idea why you trying to push this to fanatism when it's clear as day that you're just perpetuating a stereotype

This is not sterotype buddy, it is a fact. Alphabet also intrude into users privacy to make money it is also a fact which are both negative in their own ways

Defending both of them is nothing far from fanatism like I v said before.

The situation is like Nigeria's political system where the two political parties are evil we just have to go with any one our sentiment is attached to.

I wish we have the third force which is not on the extreme like Apple ripping it's users off and Alphabet stealing data, i believe they both could do this in moderation and still makes ton of money.
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by meshachdbuzz(m): 6:21am On Sep 30, 2021
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by meshachdbuzz(m): 6:22am On Sep 30, 2021
arthurwillia:

Even if the later figure it out, na still nonsense e go be, changed my Xsmax screen now to chinko oled, e no reach one month, it started showing a line on its screen because it can’t withstand pressure
Eyah sorry about that, have changed iPhone screens before except dey break it, nobody has come to me of such complaints before..

Is like you didn't watch the video even if you put an original iPhone 13 screen from another iPhone13 the face ID still won't work.. that's where reprogramming has to come in

Then if you don't have money for apple screen u can go for good third party screen

2 Likes

Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by emae009(m): 8:06am On Sep 30, 2021
seunfly:

This is not sterotype buddy, it is a fact. Alphabet also intrude into users privacy to make money it is also a fact which are both negative in their own ways

Defending both of them is nothing far from fanatism like I v said before.

The situation is like Nigeria's political system where the two political parties are evil we just have to go with any one our sentiment is attached to.

I wish we have the third force which is not on the extreme like Apple ripping it's users off and Alphabet stealing data, i believe they both could do this in moderation and still makes ton of money.

Again with the stereotypes. Google is not stealing your data, you gave them permission to mine it with you sign up with them. You can limit the amount of data the collect but you can't turn it all off.
Apple is not ripping it users off. Apple is currently the most recognized brand in the world. That brand value is everything. If you have any idea what brand value means for business you wouldn't join the band wagon.
A leather airtag case cost about a $1000 just because it produced by LV. There's no where that little amount of leather cost that much but because of the brand behind its production. If LV ripping it users off, absolutely not. They are not forcing anybody to get it. whoever buy it knows what they are getting. An LV airtag case. "Brand Value".
Anybody with an idea of how that affect a business OM will know that.
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by seunfly: 9:01am On Sep 30, 2021
emae009:

Again with the stereotypes. Google is not stealing your data, you gave them permission to mine it with you sign up with them. You can limit the amount of data the collect but you can't turn it all off.
Apple is not ripping it users off. Apple is currently the most recognized brand in the world. That brand value is everything. If you have any idea what brand value means for business you wouldn't join the band wagon.
A leather airtag case cost about a $1000 just because it produced by LV. There's no where that little amount of leather cost that much but because of the brand behind its production. If LV ripping it users off, absolutely not. They are not forcing anybody to get it. whoever buy it knows what they are getting. An LV airtag case. "Brand Value".
Anybody with an idea of how that affect a business OM will know that.
Lol permission with little or no choice?
Just like software companies allow u to read terms and conditions without real option of rejection.
In short u mean anybody that uses Apple paid for brand recognition? If I get u right, then I don't think I'm too far from u. However what ever rocks ur world.
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by meshachdbuzz(m): 2:05pm On Sep 30, 2021
seunfly:

Lol permission with little or no choice?
Just like software companies allow u to read terms and conditions without real option of rejection.
In short u mean anybody that uses Apple paid for brand recognition? If I get u right, then I don't think I'm too far from u. However what ever rocks ur world.

All I no is most ppl would love to buy apple with android open source on it and most ppl won't buy android with apple restrictions on it.. grin grin

We know that some apple users are not aware of this screen restrictions..all we are doing is to cause awareness so that you don't break your screen or if you do you know what you are up against..
Like you said buy what rocks your world...
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by seunfly: 3:03pm On Sep 30, 2021
meshachdbuzz:

All I no is most ppl would love to buy apple with android open source on it and most ppl won't buy android with apple restrictions on it.. grin grin

We know that some apple users are not aware of this screen restrictions..all we are doing is to cause awareness so that you don't break your screen or if you do you know what you are up against..
Like you said buy what rocks your world...

U are very correct, infact most iPhone users will not buy this iPhone without Apple batch on it, however iPhone is much more than that even though most user can't see beyond the batch.
Like I said before both of them have their pros and cons in the end it is users pocket/data that suffers. So people chose their own suffer..
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by arthurwillia(m): 3:14pm On Sep 30, 2021
meshachdbuzz:

Eyah sorry about that, have changed iPhone screens before except dey break it, nobody has come to me of such complaints before..

Is like you didn't watch the video even if you put an original iPhone 13 screen from another iPhone13 the face ID still won't work.. that's where reprogramming has to come in

Then if you don't have money for apple screen u can go for good third party screen

Alright boss
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by meshachdbuzz(m): 7:05pm On Sep 30, 2021
seunfly:

U are very correct, infact most iPhone users will not buy this iPhone without Apple batch on it, however iPhone is much more than that even though most user can't see beyond the batch.
Like I said before both of them have their pros and cons in the end it is users pocket/data that suffers. So people chose their own suffer..

Lol grin grin no be small suffer oo
If I perish I perish grin grin

Me am not loyal to any brand jare is my money so I should buy what will save me everything and still enjoy it smiley smiley
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by seunfly: 7:15pm On Sep 30, 2021
meshachdbuzz:

Lol grin grin no be small suffer oo
If I perish I perish grin grin

Me am not loyal to any brand jare is my money so I should buy what will save me everything and still enjoy it smiley smiley

Same with me, I buy the best phone that can do my job properly, I don't care if it is Chinese phone, Samsung, Apple etc. Phone is my office and any phone I will use must have a strong gpu.
However I v been moving away from iPhone especially anything from iphone11 upward, it tends to portray class which I honestly and sincerely don't want to portray so I avoid it.
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by meshachdbuzz(m): 8:24pm On Sep 30, 2021
seunfly:

Same with me, I buy the best phone that can do my job properly, I don't care if it is Chinese phone, Samsung, Apple etc. Phone is my office and any phone I will use must have a strong gpu.
However I v been moving away from iPhone especially anything from iphone11 upward, it tends to portray class which I honestly and sincerely don't want to portray so I avoid it.

E b like say me and you na brothers from another fada cheesy cheesy

I stumbled on one quote from Mr Reno omokri saying most Nigerians will want to buy iPhone 13 cuz that's was trending..and one guy said what of him dats a cloth designer that iPhone 13 will be a good upgrade to snap his clothes for advert..then I quoted him that if it's for snap to advertise iPhone 7plus is more than enough, except you want to do show off.. then I told him all those pictures of clothes you see on Alibaba AliExpress and co do you think is iPhone dey use in snapping it? that he should go get DSLR if he wants sophisticated pictures..

One person from no where just said that Chinese ppl are the most user's of iPhone then I ask him wat does that got to do with pictures or is it the same iPhone they use in shooting their movies too person dey talk better thing him dey think tiktok

Though iPhone 13 has improved in camera aspects but spending 800k above for just to snap Omo is worrisome..
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by rayvelez(m): 10:07pm On Sep 30, 2021
800k for iPhone 13.
Re: Iphone 13 Screen Replacement Means No More Face ID by meshachdbuzz(m): 9:21am On Oct 01, 2021
rayvelez:
800k for iPhone 13.

Naira rate will always wow us grin cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Innjoo Note Pro Or Infinix Hot Note?? / Swap Naija: This Mobile App May Bring The Biggest Disruption To Telecoms / Infinix Hot 4 X557 (with pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.