Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

"Temporary Lorry Driver Visas By UK Are A Symptom Of Government Failure" - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / "Temporary Lorry Driver Visas By UK Are A Symptom Of Government Failure" (1393 Views)

6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' / Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering / Lorry Kills 8 Hawkers In Awka Anambra, Youths Burn Lorry-Load Of Cows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Temporary Lorry Driver Visas By UK Are A Symptom Of Government Failure" by iknowexperts: 3:37pm On Sep 28, 2021
Do you agree with this columnist or not?

Anywhere you turn these days it seems someone is getting a UK visa.

The trending program now is the recently announced visa for 10,000 truck drivers and poultry workers.

These got people excited because it seems really easy to get the visa.

But what many fail to realize is that the visa expires in 3 months - precisely on 24th December 2021. Which means after this date the immigrants are expected to leave the UK.

This has brought the debate whether this particular program is exploitative or not.

The British government cut. For months, ministers refused to renounce the pleas of the meat and transport industries for access to migrant workers, and they must strictly say that they must increase salaries and conditions in order to attract local residents instead. Now, with food and fuel shortages growth, They have promise visas for 5,000 HGV managers and 5,500 poultry workers.

Who would want these short-term visas, what decay on Christmas Eve? EU workers are unlikely to stand in line. As Tomasz Oryński, a Polish truck driver and journalist, told me: ‘Why do you want to go to Britain, skip all these hoops, face all this hostile environment, if you can go to Ireland or Holland and earn more ? drive on nicer highways with nice trucks, and become a free European citizen, not a second-class citizen?

It seems more likely that visa applicants will come from further afield, according to the licensing rules. This proved the case with the British “seasonal worker pilot”, who issues six-month visas to people to pick fruit and vegetables on British farms. So far the top four source countries it was Ukraine, Russia, Belarus and Moldova. Some come from as far away as Nepal and Barbados.

Temporary migration schemes have a long history, from the USA Bracero program for Mexican farm workers to Germany between the 1940s and 1960s Gas workers program in the 1960s. There is modern versions in Canada, New Zealand and elsewhere. Advocates say it could be a ‘win-win’: employers gain access to workers; migrants get better opportunities.

But it’s not always that simple. it is general for migrant workers to borrow money to pay for visas, transportation and recruitment costs, making them vulnerable to exploitation. In addition, unlike under the free movement of workers in the EU, they are linked to a specific employer or recruiter, which makes it difficult for them to leave if they are treated poorly. As a result, the schemes could exacerbate poor salaries and conditions in some sectors and whitewash the dependence of employers on migrants. One study by the US Economic Policy Institute ended: “We can not point to one historical example in which a temporary labor shortage was remedied with a temporary labor migration program, and employers subsequently returned to hire local workers.” A favorite aphorism of migration experts is that there is nothing as permanent as a temporary migration program.

Early indications of the British fruit-picking pilot support some of these concerns. Earlier this year, when a colleague and I investigation We spoke to guilty workers from Russia and Belarus who feel trapped on farms that do not provide them with enough work, but whose recruitment agencies do not agree to move it to another employer. And while the government still says it wants farmers to hire local workers, the visa pilot has expanded from 2,500 to 30,000 workers.

None of this was inevitable. If the government really wanted to improve the quality of jobs in the food and transport sector, it could have done so, regardless of Brexit. This could be the example of the The Netherlands, where employers and trade unions agree to sectoral agreements that provide a basis for payment and conditions. It could have strengthened it too sad enforcement of existing labor market laws.

After the Brexit vote in 2016, the government could have started planning for life without migration with low pay. It could have done all the things it does now in a blind panic, like promising free training courses for HGV licenses. Ministers could also power imbalance in the food supply chain that puts relentless pressure on labor costs.

No one predicted the pandemic, which exacerbated the staff shortage, but it was not difficult to predict that action would be needed. Two weeks after the Brexit vote, I wrote about how these sectors would struggle to cope with the end of free movement, given the supermarkets’ demands for speed, flexibility and low prices. “We would not eat without Eastern Europeans,” a temporary boss told me.

We could have stayed in the EU and improved the salary and conditions in these sectors. We could have left the EU and improved the salary and conditions in these sectors. But the government insisted that we ‘eat and eat our cake’ rather than acknowledge deviations and plan for them. This has resulted in a crisis, which could mean that the country is, after all, dependent on migrant workers with low wages — just different people who are even more vulnerable to exploitation. If there’s still a cake left, I do not know who is eating it.

sarah.oconnor@ft.com

Source: https://afegames.com/temporary-lorry-driver-visas-are-a-symptom-of-government-failure/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Temporary Lorry Driver Visas By UK Are A Symptom Of Government Failure" by ednut1(m): 3:54pm On Sep 28, 2021
Their citizens are too woke to do those jobs
Re: "Temporary Lorry Driver Visas By UK Are A Symptom Of Government Failure" by masterplan303(m): 4:30pm On Sep 28, 2021
grin
Re: "Temporary Lorry Driver Visas By UK Are A Symptom Of Government Failure" by Nwaezuneka1: 4:44pm On Sep 28, 2021
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: "Temporary Lorry Driver Visas By UK Are A Symptom Of Government Failure" by Funjosh(m): 7:47pm On Sep 28, 2021
Link to apply.
Re: "Temporary Lorry Driver Visas By UK Are A Symptom Of Government Failure" by Mukah1234(m): 10:18pm On Sep 28, 2021
Link to apply please
Re: "Temporary Lorry Driver Visas By UK Are A Symptom Of Government Failure" by dondadah: 8:10pm On Oct 19, 2021
Hello everyone I have few questions I want to ask, and I will be very glad if I can get as much answers to it. My partner was admitted to GISMA Business school and I’m planning to accompany her.
1. Can I open a block account and my partner to be sponsored by one our relatives? Is it possible for dependent to open a block account and main student should use sponsorship letter? If yes, what are the requirements for the dependent to open the block account.
2. How much does a dependent need to block in his/her account, is it up to 5k euro when main student is 10k euro
3. Will dependent also needs to go for interview also or it’s the main student that will drop
His/her spouse document on their interview date.
4. Is it compulsory for the partner school to be aware that a dependent is following her, or is there any form to be filled as a dependent in that school for the dependent visa to be processed.

(1) (Reply)

Pictures: Africa’s First Underwater Hotel Room Opens In Zanzibar / 6 Forbidden Mistakes To Avoid In Warri / First Snowfall Of 2020 In South Africa And Lesotho (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.