Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,863 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North (3406 Views)

Frustration, Anger In APC Over Buhari’s Ministerial List - Daily Independent / Anger In Military Over Amnesty Report / Regional Poverty In Nigeria- North, South-West Worse Hit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by ektbear: 6:37pm On May 28, 2011
KADUNA, Nigeria — The veiled woman at a camp housing thousands of displaced on the dusty outskirts of this northern Nigerian city tries to explain how her husband was killed, but becomes faint and backs away.

"He said whatever happened we should not go out, that we should just be patient," 67-year-old Talle Musa said as she described taking refuge in a neighbour's house when riots broke out last month in her town of Zonkwa.

"We didn't know it was like his farewell to us."

It has been more than a month since deadly riots spread across the mainly Muslim north of Nigeria following the country's presidential election, leaving some 800 people hacked, burnt or shot to death over the course of three days.

Piles of unidentified bodies have been cleared off the floor of a morgue in Kaduna and buried in mass graves, the displaced have been steadily leaving camps, and President Goodluck Jonathan is due to be sworn in on Sunday.

But deep anger and hurt remain in the north, poorer and less educated than the oil-producing south, and Jonathan, a southern Christian, faces a daunting task in healing divisions in Africa's most populous nation.

Continued here:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h7287P7HelHJK4LwhtLvD4Si1o1A?docId=CNG.3e4523be8174aad5876a3562139040b8.281

In some parts of the north's countryside, dams along rivers provide irrigation that feeds burgeoning farms of tomatoes, onion and maize, baobab trees standing tall in the breeze.

But in other areas of this region on the edge of the Sahara, dust rises like steam, rubbish piles up along the roadsides and young people say they cannot find a proper job.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by ektbear: 6:38pm On May 28, 2011
North is working the media like mad trying to play victim
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by Rhino5dm: 6:57pm On May 28, 2011
@Bold.
Well you should atleast do justice by distinguishing between north central, east and west. For i will not be happy if this generalisation is done in the south.

@ Topic
You may be shocked with the level of reality on ground.

I once witness a religious crisis in the northern city of Bauchi. . .A typical northern muslim fanatic may take the medal of sparking off religious crisis but the christains are more sophisticated.

As the 'under -dogs' they constantly pull more surprise. Believe me when i said the situation is a No victor or No vanguish.

ekt_bear:

North is working the media like mad trying to play victim
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by jmaine: 7:04pm On May 28, 2011
I personally think there should be a concerted efforts  to bring developments and progress to all the regions in Nigeria to avert all sorts of restiveness from the youths . .This concerted efforts relies heavily on the state Governments and L.G.A chairmen to deliver in conjunction with the F.G  . . . All facets of our administrative offices need to synergize their effort for the benefit of all . . .recently, it appears the demand on the L.G.A chairman to perform  has been systematically eroded with all and sundry looking up only to the State Government and the presidency for democratic dividends . . .The L.G.A chairmen need to start living up to their responsibility of being closer to the grassroots . .
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 28, 2011
The southern Kaduna christians seem to have perfected the act of keeping the islamists in check in northern Nigeria. I've met with a couple of these 'kaje' guys. They appear naturally stubborn and tough.

The beroms have also started to learn the ropes gradually.

1 Like

Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by aljharem3: 7:32pm On May 28, 2011
mbatuku2:

The southern Kaduna christians seem to have perfected the act of keeping the islamists in check in northern Nigeria. I've met with a couple of these 'kaje' guys. They appear naturally stubborn and tough.

stop talking like an a55 angry what do u mean
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 28, 2011
alj_harem:

stop talking like an a55 angry what do u mean

lol. The truth hurts, right? You know these southern kaduna guys take no prisoners when they engage you.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by joecrack(m): 9:21pm On May 28, 2011
mbatuku2:

u are absolutely correct man.these 'chungi' boys are outrageously tough,sturborn and braver than the almajiries,ever ready,very coordinated and when they strike,believe me its a massacre.see what they did in sabo,maraba rido down to kad south,men,truth be told,casualties from the muslim hausas were incredibly much compared to the xtians.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by joecrack(m): 9:58pm On May 28, 2011
Meanwhile my peeps in kd earlier in the day hinted me the town is quite tensed,most people are indoors,apparently some 'buhari' boys are saying 'baza mu aida ba' in reaction to 2morrows inaugration,but no worries,security full ground.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by jmaine: 12:13am On May 29, 2011
joecrack:

Meanwhile my peeps in kd earlier in the day hinted me the town is quite tensed,most people are indoors,apparently some 'buhari' boys are  saying 'baza mu aida ba' in reaction to 2morrows inaugration,but no worries,security full ground.

They will be wasted with a telling response from the security outfit . . . 
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by vedaxcool(m): 1:11am On May 29, 2011
One can easily gauge the ever effervescent Hypocrisy of an average illiterate-media brain washed individual from the south whom managed to cheat his way through school and failed to get enlightenment, to them killing hausas in retaliation is right, the 'Kaje' dudes suddenly turn to david and other biblical heroes, yet when muslim re-enacts such blood scenes they shout murder. Yet the murder of Hausas in Southern KD particularly was played down by media houses especially in the south, where is their commitment to the truth? Well truth is their commitment is to the political.The funny thing is that this same kaje youth fail to see how his "allies" in the south sees him a step higher than a cannibal. people from the north especially the christians and other minorities typically fail to see how the Ibadan -Lagos press continually bombard their identity by calling them all sort of names including animal without even discriminating which "northerner" they are actually talking about, they are probably playing safe, but this simply cast them into the mold of unintelligent ethnic millitias whose trade mark is kindling an already blazing fire. in all the equation it is the southern citizens that falls victim, by deceiving them their problems lies far in the north, their leaders are living a more worthier life, reminds one of the empowerment fighters in the ND, who only succeeded in empowering themselves, or has the north's ever growing list of failure stopped the govts in the south from giving their own people good drinking water or even employment? Wonders they say never cease, but i believe closet stupidity must be put aside if people want to benefit from govt rather than ome here fighting how your greedy leaders intend to eat you pay, we need to build an alliance that focuses on ensuing good governance.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by Mynd44: 2:42am On May 29, 2011
And since when did organising to defend your families and friends become so wrong? If that is what works for those southern KD guys, so be it
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by unphilaz(m): 3:47am On May 29, 2011
let d southerner knw dt in d north r not all mallams but proud children of gr8t wariors
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by unphilaz(m): 3:56am On May 29, 2011
Dt were nvr conquerd but we lv 2 live wit any1 so lng as dey r dey dnt fel more 'born 2 rule' dan us as d muslim hausa
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by unphilaz(m): 4:00am On May 29, 2011
And we have equal right as they to rule, yakowa sai govt house.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by unphilaz(m): 4:04am On May 29, 2011
Our minority status is strength such as the south kad,plateau state,asiyawa of tafalwa balewa,jukun etc
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by ziccoit: 6:49am On May 29, 2011
vedaxcool:

One can easily gauge the ever effervescent Hypocrisy of an average illiterate-media brain washed individual from the south whom managed to cheat his way through school and failed to get enlightenment, to them killing hausas in retaliation is right, the 'Kaje' dudes suddenly turn to david and other biblical heroes, yet when muslim re-enacts such blood scenes they shout murder. Yet the murder of Hausas in Southern KD particularly was played down by media houses especially in the south, where is their commitment to the truth? Well truth is their commitment is to the political.The funny thing is that this same kaje youth fail to see how his "allies" in the south sees him a step higher than a cannibal. people from the north especially the christians and other minorities typically fail to see how the Ibadan -Lagos press continually bombard their identity by calling them all sort of names including animal without even discriminating which "northerner" they are actually talking about, they are probably playing safe, but this simply cast them into the mold of unintelligent ethnic millitias whose trade mark is kindling an already blazing fire. in all the equation it is the southern citizens that falls victim, by deceiving them their problems lies far in the north, their leaders are living a more worthier life, reminds one of the empowerment fighters in the ND, who only succeeded in empowering themselves, or has the north's ever growing list of failure stopped the govts in the south from giving their own people good drinking water or even employment? Wonders they say never cease, but i believe closet stupidity must be put aside if people want to benefit from govt rather than ome here fighting how your greedy leaders intend to eat you pay, we need to build an alliance that focuses on ensuing good governance.

@vedaxcool. May GOD bless you for the embolden. I really love it.

The problem is the strong hatred and bitter venom against the Islam/Muslims. I don't know a perfect way to explain the reason why a man want to be knowledgeable than the mufti, when holding a view to wrongly islamise what is non-Islamic. More so, in the face of heavy proofs to the contrary, he is still proving pigheaded.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by silverstud: 7:05am On May 29, 2011
Killing by either Christains or Muslims is Wrong, A lot of these religiously tainted Crisis stem from politics. I believe that the origin of this political/religious issues is Sharia Law. Once that was introduced into the North the line between religion/politics was blurred. Thus, every political crisis is seen with a religious lens.
ziccoit:

@vedaxcool. May GOD bless you for the embolden. I really love it.

The problem is the strong hatred and bitter venom against the Islam/Muslims. I don't know a perfect way to explain the reason why a man want to be knowledgeable than the mufti, when holding a view to wrongly islamise what is non-Islamic. More so, in the face of heavy proofs to the contrary, he is still proving pigheaded.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by chamber2(m): 7:10am On May 29, 2011

You seem to write with your a55.You keep justifying violence without making a single effort to tame those bloodsucking homo sapiens.If the southern press cannot say it right why don't you establish yours, or is your al majiri education not capable enough in equipping you with requisite knowledge?Who is to be blamed for the violence in the north?What effort has the northern leaders made towards calming the situation?Stop pointing accusing fingers, your people are violent and the entire world knows that.

Wrong!No one hates Muslims.But the extent in which a few individuals are causing problems in the name of religion is not wholesome and should be rejected.The Islamic community allows Islam to be used as a tool in the hands of a few untamed miscreants, and that has affected the reputation of Islam as a religion.People are always quick to form stereotypes without even knowing the basis for such, agreed.I live in an Islamic country, but i must say, this place is one of the most peaceful and loving countries on earth.So, it's not Islam, it's a few  individuals in Islam and Islamic leaders will have to do a lot of work to flush these individuals out of the body of Islam. 

And since when did organising to defend your families and friends become so wrong? If that is what works for those southern KD guys, so be it

Subscribing,
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by vedaxcool(m): 7:51am On May 29, 2011
^^^^

Another ethnic militia who lack understanding of what is being talked about
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by joecrack(m): 8:14am On May 29, 2011
vedaxcool:

^^^^

and what is it,that's being talked about.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by chamber2(m): 8:18am On May 29, 2011

Don't mind the senseless cretin
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by vedaxcool(m): 9:10am On May 29, 2011
joecrack:

if you could read and understand properly you would be able to see that chagrin hardly answered the issues.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by ziccoit: 9:35am On May 29, 2011
chamber2:

Wrong!No one hates Muslims.But the extent in which a few individuals are causing problems[b] in the name of religion[/b] is not wholesome and should be rejected.The[b] Islamic community allows Islam to be used as a tool in the hands of a few untamed miscreants[/b], and that has affected the reputation of Islam as a religion.People are always quick to form stereotypes without even knowing the basis for such, agreed.[b]I live in an Islamic country, but i must say, this place is one of the most peaceful and loving countries on earth.[/b]So, it's not Islam, it's a few  individuals in Islam and Islamic leaders will have to do a lot of work to flush these individuals out of the body of Islam. 

@chamber2, thanks for your submission.
1. Speak for yourself. People hate Islam/Muslims with hot venom of a cut snake.

2. That is the clause "in the name of Islam" I am yet to see any Islamic injunction motivating people to be Criminally minded. If Islam is truly of GOD, is it not unthinkable for Him to create a group just to be killed by another group at whim just like that!  People anchor a political crisis/killing ignorantly on Islam and when you make an effort to put their thinkings aright they plunge headlong into moral indecencies calling you names.

3. Well, I don't know how "Islamic community allows Islam to be used as a tool in the hands of a few untamed miscreants" in a country people described as secular. Explain this further, I don't understand.

Meanwhile I don't believe Nigeria is a secular state
SECULAR STATE :A secular state is a concept of secularism, whereby a state or country purports to be officially neutral in matters of religion, supporting neither religion nor irreligion and keeping religion out of the public life
Yet our presidents go to Church/mosque, they quote the Bibilical/Quranic verses when they addressed us, invoke GOD in their dealings, wanted to appoint number four citizen based on what religion number 1, 2 and 3 citizens profess, citizen rally round their own at every opportunity, people brought out religion to explain political issues etc.

4. Very good to know you are living in an Islamic country that you agreed to be one of the most peaceful country in the world. I want to believe you are telling us, especially the bigots, that nothing in Islam encourage violence and crises as we witness in North but not in the South that also has Muslims population.

On a lighter mode, what Islam country is that? wink
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by joecrack(m): 9:46am On May 29, 2011
vedaxcool:

if you could read and understand properly you would be able to see that chagrin hardly answered the issues.
on the contrary sir,he stated and answered the issues.i strongly think you should channel ur energy or grieviances in educating and enlightening ur almajiri folks,cuz when next they provoke attacks on the kaje guys or xtian southerners,retaliation is inevitable and sad as it sounds innocent hausa muslims would be hacked to death,properties burnt all because of misguided acts perpetrated by almajiris who've got no iota of respite for human life.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by chamber2(m): 10:16am On May 29, 2011
I still maintain that no one hates Muslims as individuals, but when a few individuals use Islam as an instrument of destruction then people will be forced to have a self imposed fear/resentment for Islam and Muslims.

Well, I don't know how "Islamic community allows Islam to be used as a tool in the hands of a few untamed miscreants" in a country people described as secular. Explain this further, I don't understand.

Yes of course, they seem not to have taken any drastic step towards ensuring that people don't engage in violent acts in the name of Islam.Take the case of the al majiris for instance, this is a typical case of neglect and nonchalance by the Islamic religious leaders.Don't blame the society on this, most Islamic countries also have a system of religious education where the use of force is not encouraged.Who operates this al majiri style of education that have left the youths and young backward?Are the northern Islamic leaders not aware of the harm that is done on this young guys and the possible danger they impose on the society?I still consider religion as an opium of the people and religious leaders as guiders of the moral being.If they fail, the entire society have failed.In an overtly religious country like Nigeria, religious leaders have a great deal of role to play.

On a lighter mode, what Islam country is that?

Hmmm, you want to know? I mean, i have been in this country for a few years now and I am yet to hear even the sound of the gun which is typical of the Nigerian society.I am yet to hear that a Muslim killed or caused trouble somewhere.The Muslims here go about their daily activities so peacefully and orderly.That is why i think our Islamic leaders have not done much to install the principles and teachings of Islam in their followers
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by Odunnu: 1:34pm On May 29, 2011
Wondering who starts the riots and if they expect the other group to just wait and be killed.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by joecrack(m): 2:43pm On May 29, 2011
Odunnu:

Wondering who starts the riots and if they expect the other group to just wait and be killed.

i tire ooh
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 29, 2011
Nawa o! What of the carnage hausa-muslims caused in Kafanchan? Here, they struck first and inflicted maximum damage! It was later that the Zonkwa and others rose and said no! Now the hausa-muslims are crying.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by naijangel7(f): 3:50pm On May 29, 2011
vedaxcool:

^^^^

please educate us, sir. The whole world (except muslims like you) sees islamic radicalism for what it is.
Re: After Massacres, Anger In Nigeria's North by namfav(m): 4:11pm On May 29, 2011
chamber2:

I still maintain that no one hates Muslims as individuals, but when a few individuals use Islam as an instrument of destruction then people will be forced to have a self imposed fear/resentment for Islam and Muslims.

Yes of course, they seem not to have taken any drastic step towards ensuring that people don't engage in violent acts in the name of Islam.Take the case of the al majiris for instance, this is a typical case of neglect and nonchalance by the Islamic religious leaders.Don't blame the society on this, most Islamic countries also have a system of religious education where the use of force is not encouraged.Who operates this al majiri style of education that have left the youths and young backward?Are the northern Islamic leaders not aware of the harm that is done on this young guys and the possible danger they impose on the society?I still consider religion as an opium of the people and religious leaders as guiders of the moral being.If they fail, the entire society have failed.In an overtly religious country like Nigeria, religious leaders have a great deal of role to play.

Hmmm, you want to know? I mean, i have been in this country for a few years now and I am yet to hear even the sound of the gun which is typical of the Nigerian society.I am yet to hear that a Muslim killed or caused trouble somewhere.The Muslims here go about their daily activities so peacefully and orderly.That is why i think our Islamic leaders have not done much to install the principles and teachings of Islam in their followers

it's no ones fault that you guys attribute the actions of certain individuals to a whole religion, you will never find us talking about christianity but you want us to stomach your comments, it's near to impossible to tell more than 10 million people to behave in a certain way towards injustice in this country, it is just impossible, if you think you can make this a muslim issue then you are just making things worse, our leaders (tribal, religious, political) are not baby sitters and no one is acting like a baby if you consider what has been going in, let the government give justice to the northerners and in the aftermath of the riots which alot of innocent northerns were tortured, killed by the authorities with direct orders from jonatha

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rivers Assembly To Embark On Linguistics & Communication Studies / R-E-V-E-A-L-E-D: Yoruba/hausa-fulani Deal That May Topple PDP In 2015 / Exploration Of Crude Oil First Started In Oloibiri, Owerri Or Around Ondo State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.