Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,922 members, 7,817,702 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Japa Gone Bad - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Japa Gone Bad (3106 Views)

Wedding Night Gone Wrong E7 - The Call / MY CAMPUS LIFE: A Love Gone Wrong {18+ AN EMOTIONAL STORY TO READ} / NADIA AND ETHAN (marriage Contract Gone Wrong) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 3:51pm On Sep 29, 2021
Hello fam. So I've been away for a while after the frustration of not being able to complete my Thriller 'MILLION DOLLAR DAY' on this platform, probably due to breaking a rule I still don't know about till date. (Those interested in knowing what happened to the young lad who found millions of dollars mysteriously in his bank account, can go on okadabooks and search for the book. It's there, complete!)

But I'm here again today with another one titled 'JAPA GONE BAD'. Hopefully, I don't get restricted from completing another story again.

SYNOPSIS of JAPA GONE BAD: After leaving his home country to embark on a torturous journey across the desert in search of greener pastures in Europe, Sulaimon's life takes a dangerous turn when he ends up in war-torn Syria instead.

Let's get to it!

©copyright2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 4:03pm On Sep 29, 2021
CHAPTER 1

Sulaimon avoided his mother's gaze. He couldn’t look her in the eyes with the sadness written all over it. She had dropped the tray of beans she was picking and stared at him.

“Sule,” she said, with a voice that sounded like it was going to break into tears any moment. “I know we are poor and struggling to feed ourselves, and I will support anything that will make our lives better. But you know what I will not do? Is to let my first and only son go kill himself, all in the name of looking for greener pastures. I will not do that. I will not let that happen!" She stiffened a tear. "I lost your father years ago, I will not lose you too now.”

Sulaimon sighed and raised his head to finally look at his mother. “Maami, I know this is very hard for you, but there is nothing left for me in this country. Since father died I’ve had to drop out of school to work and support you and my sisters but things are not going according to plan or getting any better. I need to go out there and make it so that I can support you.”

"At least you have a small job and we are able to feed ourselves and are healthy. That is enough for me Sulaimon. We should thank God. Besides, why risk your life when you can make a clean paper and travel? Don’t you hear stories of people that have drowned in the sea trying to cross over to Europe in search of a better life?”

Sulaimon groaned. “Maami it’s not that easy jor. How much do I have to save and how long do I have to wait for the so-called clean ones? It's just too much. This one is faster." Sulaimon held his mother's hand and looked her in the eyes. "Maami, we’ve got everything planned out well. There is nothing to be afraid of. And besides Tayo is going with me, everything will be fine.”

His mother peeled her hand away. “No! Sulaimon, I said no! I don’t want to hear anything about this again. I will not sit down and watch as my son go and kill himself. You hear me?”

Sulaimon looked at her for a moment. How couldn't she understand that he was doing it for her? For the family? He was tired of the whole thing. There was no hope for him here, not anymore. And no, no one was going to stop him from achieving his dreams elsewhere. Not even his mother.

He sighed and shrugged. “It's alright maami, I understand. I won’t bring up this issue again.”

Sulaimon stood up, a mixed feeling of guilt and relief churning his gut. He wasn’t asking for her approval in the first place. He had made up his mind and only wanted to let her know about the journey to ease her mind when she couldn't find him.

“Erm, ehen Mr man. Where are you going?” She called, looking at him with a suspicious gleam.

Sulaimon almost burst out laughing. You think you'll know when I leave? He thought. “I'm just going to Tayo’s house. I will be right back.” He replied.

“Better don’t play with me. I will be waiting for you in this house.”

“I am not running away maami.” Sulaimon said and stepped out of the house.

Tayo was already sitting on a stone waiting for his friend. “What was that about?" He asked.

“Shush, lower your voice.” Sulaimon placed his index finger across his lips. “I was coming to your place. What are you doing sitting here, shouldn’t you be preparing for the journey?"

“I'm done with my packing. You told your mother? I heard her voice.”

Sulaimon sat beside Tayo. “Yes, I did. But as expected she is against it.”

Tayo shook his head. “My mum was understanding but my father, all hell would be let loose if I tell him. My mother said that I shouldn't worry that she was going to tell him after I had left.”

“Mine wasn’t at all. All that she could imagine was that I was going to kill myself. That I was going to leave them like my father. I don’t know why they can’t see the positive side of this. And when we finally succeed and start bringing back home goodies they forget that they once stopped us from going. Look at Chisom’s mother, when he started sending back money she was spreading the news forgetting that she once threatened hell when he was going.”

“That’s true, but you should understand your mother’s worry though. You are the first child and only son.”

“That is more reason why I should go and better my life in Europe. This country has got nothing to offer me, we hustle every day and there is nothing to show for it. My mates are riding Range Rovers, Mercedes Benz and other flashy cars while I jump on bus every day. For how long will I keep waiting for my turn?”

“Abegi," Tayo jokingly nudged his friend's shoulder. "you that I know would have waited for as long as it took. You're too scared to take risks. All this ginger you have now is because of me. You are just lucky I am going with you and for the connection Mr. Pam has with one of the smugglers to take us across at a very cheap rate.”

“Ok Mr. connect, I know I had to persuade you to help me. Let’s not discourage each other now.” Sulaimon said.

"Lets see how it goes though. I hope we're lucky this time around."

"I hope so too."

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 4:55pm On Sep 29, 2021
Chapter 1 is up guys. I hope y'all are liking it already. grin

Lemme also call some readers I hope would join this thrilling ride. Fingers crossed*
@Kaymercury @Divepen1 @EkopsparoAyara @centitan @moura7 @StubbornGENIUS @Nostradamus @dimssy @Tonyspecial @oluwatosin70 @YoungBruzzy @sleekhoyeen

Kindly invite others too guys. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by gstelly: 9:07am On Sep 30, 2021
Following Ann2012

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Ann2012(f): 8:38pm On Sep 30, 2021
gstelly:
Following Ann2012

I dey with you

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 8:10pm On Oct 02, 2021
CHAPTER 2

Sulaimon tiptoed out of the house careful not to wake his mother or sisters. He glanced at his wrist watch. It was 2:20 A.M. He raised his head to the sky. The stars were in their millions up there shining down onto earth their brightness as he rushed down towards Tayo’s house. Getting close, Tayo stepped out carrying a backpack and another on his back. Sulaimon collected the one in his hands and they walked as fast as they could.

“I just hope the bus haven’t left us behind.” Sulaimon said.

“I don’t think so. Mr. Pam said the bus leaves the park by 3:00 A.M and this is 2:24 A.M, so I think we still have about thirty-six minutes left.” Tayo said looking at his wrist watch. “How far? Anybody woke up?” He asked Sulaimon.

“No. How about you?”

“My mum actually woke me up. I had a sumptuous meal and she packed another one for me in a food flask.” Tayo said with a beaming smile on his face.

“Wow nice. Let me get ready to fill my stomach then.” Sulaimon said rubbing his stomach.

“See you, who told you I'm going to share with you?”

“You mean, you are going to be stingy to your best friend?”

“Ok two spoons should be enough.”

“That two spoons would be equivalent to half the food then.” Sulaimon said. They both laughed.

“But Sulaimon, don’t you feel somehow? We have never left home to go on a journey alone like this before.” Tayo said.

“Hmm, I feel somehow too but, what can we do about it? All those that went there and made it do not have two heads. If they can do it, so can we.”

“Hmm you and your ‘what can we do about it?’ as if they are chasing us from home.”

“You don’t know they are chasing us?”

“See this one. Who is chasing us?”

“Poverty. Poverty is chasing us with a whip even. Maybe you don’t feel it as much as I do, but it is there. I want to go and enjoy too. Let me go to Europe and make it. After spending like ten years there and we come back home we’ll be referred to as big men and our…”

Tayo turned to his friend in surprise. “You and who is spending ten years? I am not spending any ten years there o. Once I make enough money I am coming back home to my family.”

“Mr. Family, as if you are the only one that have a family. Do you think it will be easy to make it there at once? Or you think I won’t be missing my family too?”

“I don’t know, but I am talking about myself. I know things aren’t easy for us back here but, I can’t just stay away from home for ten years. What if something happens and I’ll probably…”

“Tayo it's ok abeg, we are here.” Sulaimon interrupted as they got to the park

They walked to a bus that was already packed with people, some of them little more than boys and girls. Mr. Pam was standing outside the bus.

“Ehen Oga polo, see them here o.” Mr. Pam said to the driver who was smoking a cigarette.

“Good morning Mr. Pam” Sulaimon and Tayo greeted simultaneously.

“Good morning, hope you are both ready.”

“Yes.” Tayo replied.

“So, how far?” Mr. Pam gestured with his hand.

“But Mr. Pam, I thought we had an agreement. We told you we were going to pay you the balance after getting to Libya.”

“Erm yes that was the agreement we had but things changed. The driver said he wants the full money now.”

“But Mr. Pam how can he…”

“See young man, if you wan pay the money pay. If you no wan pay just tell us make we dey go. Morning go soon come, I no wan waste time.” Oga Polo said angrily.

“Oga Polo easy abeg. I will talk to them. Look Tayo, if you have the money just pay so that we can start moving.” Mr. Pam appealed.

“Wait o," Tayo raised his voice. "What are you both trying to…”

“Tayo it’s ok. Let’s just give them the money. We shouldn’t waste precious time arguing.” Sulaimon said.

“Here!" Tayo brought out the money and shoved it in Mr Pam's hands. "Another Four Hundred Thousand Naira. That makes our full payment Eight Hundred Thousand Naira.”

“Ehenn, now you are talking. Oya make una enter sharp sharp. Oga Polo they’ve paid complete, we are set to go.” Mr. Pam said with a chuckle, showing his brown teeth. Mahmoud and Tayo climbed onto the bus and soon, they were on their way to Libya.

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 8:12pm On Oct 02, 2021
gstelly:
Following Ann2012

Thank you. Kindly call in others too.
Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 8:13pm On Oct 02, 2021
Ann2012:

I dey with you
Thank you. Kindly call others to join too.
Re: Japa Gone Bad by Nostradamus: 9:16am On Oct 06, 2021
Ayam in.

This seem interesting grin

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 6:44pm On Oct 07, 2021
Nostradamus:
Ayam in.

This seem interesting grin
Thank you and welcome. Kindly invite others too. smiley
Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 8:13pm On Oct 07, 2021
CHAPTER 3

Two days later, the bus pulled into a large compound in Agadez, Niger Republic. It was filled with people; some sitting round a fire, some peeping out from the window of a mud house that was standing at the other end of the compound, while others were hurriedly picking their belongings and running towards the bus that had just arrived. Those inside were quickly climbing down except for the confused Sulaimon and Tayo.

“What is going on Mr. Pam? Why are these people coming down from the bus and those ones rushing towards us?” Tayo asked.

“Both of you should come down quick.” Mr Pam said.

“They asked you a question and you are telling us to come down. Is this the Libya we are to stop?” Sulaimon was angry.

“Look, I am not the owner of this bus. If you want to shout go ahead and do that with the driver. He said this is his final bus stop. He doesn’t go to Libya.” Mr. Pam replied hotly.

Sulaimon dropped from the bus and went to the passenger side where Mr. Pam was sitting. “Then you should have told us earlier. Is this the agreement we had? We paid you money to take us to Libya not Niger republic. How can we pay you Eight Hundred Thousand Naira to bring us to Niger? There is no way…”

“See! Look!! Don’t get me angry o! I am not your mate that you will be shouting at me like this. You think I will be here doing this if not for the situation I find myse…”

“What is our concern with that? Did you tell us about your life when we were paying you the money? How can you tell us that the man is not going to Libya after that is what we paid you for?” Tayo interrupted as he also dropped from the bus.

“Hey!! I no want any trouble here. This is where I am stopping, I no dey go any Libya.” Oga Polo interjected.

“If you knew you would not reach Libya why collect our money? Let me tell you something. I don’t care if you are my great uncle from the eleventh century, there is just no way that I will pay you Eight Hundred Thousand naira and you will drop me here.” Sulaimon banged on the bonnet of the bus.

Oga Polo and Mr. Pam dropped from the bus. “See if you spoil my bus…”

“Oga keep quiet! You think we are fools, right? See! Pam or whatever your name is, both of you had better warn yourselves and take us to Libya or refund our money now!” Tayo cut in, now flexing his muscles like a street boy.

“Na me this boy dey disrespect like this.” Mr. Pam said hitting Tayo in the chest.

Tayo in turn, punched him.

The place was soon rowdy as people gathered to separate them.

“Stop! Stop!! Stop!!! Come down, come down your mind all of you. No fight here. What e happen?” A man asked. He had a big brown turban wrapped around his head.

“It is this big for nothing men that would not respect their selves. They collected money to take us to Libya instead they brought us here and expect us not to ask questions.” Sulaimon said picking his backpack from the ground.

“See this boy o. Na me you dey call big for nothing.”  Mr. Pam struggled to reach Sulaimon to land a slap but was prevented.

“Hey stop fight now I say. Is it true what boy say? This no Libya, this Niger. Why collect money to go Libya and bring them here?” The turban man asked.

“Look no be me do talk with the children, na Pam. Na with Pam dem get problem no be me.” Oga Polo replied.

“Which kin talk be dat na Oga Polo, no be me and you do the business? You con dey run your mouth like this.” Mr. Pam looked hurt by that.

The man in turban interrupted as Mr. Pam and Oga Polo started arguing. “Kai! The two of you give money back to this children now before I seize your bus and carry you go prison. You know prison? Bad prison I take you.”

“Oya Oga Polo give them their money. I don’t want any trouble again.”

“After all the talk wey this children talk. Why we go just…”

“You wan go prison Oga Polo? You know wetin this people dey call prison for here? Give the children their money I take God beg you. I no want wahala.” Mr. Pam pleaded.

Oga Polo hissed and dragged his feet to the bus. After shifting his weight countless times within the bus as though looking for something missing, he reluctantly brought out the money and hand it to Sulaimon. “Oya take. Two Hundred Thousand Naira.”

"Fair enough." Sulaimon said.

“Is complete?” The man in turban asked.

Sulaimon counted the money.

“Yes, it is complete. Thank you.”

With a death stare, Mr. Pam and Oga Polo climbed back unto the bus.

“As if I tell you say I want your thank you." Oga Polo said.

“He wasn’t thanking you. He was thanking this man here.” Tayo cut in.

“Okay. Now, you go with your bus and no come back. I warn you.” The man in turban said to Mr Pam and Oga Polo. The duo nodded. The man then waved his hands for everyone that had gathered to disperse. Afterwards, he turned to Sulaimon. “Where the money?” He asked.

“It is safe with me.” Sulaimon answered.

“Okay bring it. I tell children to bring food and water for you. After you rest, in the night you go to Libya with that motor.” The man pointed towards a black Hilux truck packed beside the mud house.

After making an imperceptible eye communication with Tayo, Sulaimon nodded his head with a smile. “Okay, thank you very much sir for your help.” He then gave the man the money.

“Very good. Go and sit down. Children bring food quick.” The man said and disappeared into the mud house.

Tayo sighed as he and Sulaimon sat under a tree in the compound. “I hope this man is not another 419, because we would be so stranded and helpless if he is.”

“Let's just pray he isn’t.” Sulaimon said.

As night fell, a smuggler gave a signal and everybody ran towards the Hilux. Sulaimon and Tayo rushed into the passenger side of the truck, while others scrambled onto the back jostling for a place on the 1,200-km journey to Libya. Twenty-one people were packed into the truck for the three-day ride. Those on the edge sat astride a long wooden stick, to prevent them from falling off during the night into the desert.

Minutes later the Hilux rolled out of the metal gates of the compound and snaked through the sandy backstreets of Agadez. It drove unhindered past a police checkpoint on the outskirts of the town and into the blackness of the vast desert.

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Tonyspecial(m): 3:33pm On Oct 13, 2021
Elfaris:
Chapter 1 is up guys. I hope y'all are liking it already. grin

Lemme also call some readers I hope would join this thrilling ride. Fingers crossed*
@Kaymercury @Divepen1 @EkopsparoAyara @centitan @moura7 @StubbornGENIUS @Nostradamus @dimssy @Tonyspecial @oluwatosin70 @YoungBruzzy @sleekhoyeen

Kindly invite others too guys. Thanks.
Did i come late?

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by PraisesPblaze(m): 3:39pm On Oct 13, 2021
I have arrived.
OP, do the needful

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 5:36am On Oct 14, 2021
Tonyspecial:
Did i come late?
Not at all, you're highly welcome. wink
Kindly invite others too

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 5:37am On Oct 14, 2021
PraisesPblaze:
I have arrived.
OP, do the needful
Sure, dropping another chapter today. You're welcome. wink
Don't forget to invite others too.
Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 5:43am On Oct 14, 2021
CHAPTER 4

Two days into the ride as the truck passed through a valley, armed masked men ran out from a cave and stood on the way. Some were holding Ak-47 rifles while others were holding sticks and machetes. They started shouting and waving for the truck to stop.

Sighting them from afar and knowing the danger they posed, the driver started shouting for everyone to take cover.

“Everybody bend down now!” The driver shouted. He stepped his foot on the gas further and sped towards the armed men.

“Duck now!” Tayo shouted as he pulled Sulaimon down.

Noticing that the truck was not slowing down, the bandits wielding AK-47 rifles opened fire and rained bullets unto the coming truck. Sulaimon found himself screaming as the windshield was shattered by bullets. Few seconds later he could hear the bandits shouting and the gunshots a distance behind them as the car sped on with the horn now blowing non-stop.

“Tayo are you alright?”

“Yes, i'm fine.”

Why is this man still blowing the horn? Won't this even draw attention if there are other bandits ahead? Sulaimon wondered. He raised his head and saw the driver resting against the steering wheel unmoving. Sulaimon nudged him and to his shock, saw the blood gushing out from the driver's chest. The driver had been shot and the truck was moving uncontrolled.

“Tayo the driver is dead.” Sulaimon shouted just as he looked ahead to see a huge stone in front of them.

He grabbed the wheel and swerved the truck the other way to avoid hitting the stone. The truck swerved but quickly rolled over and came to a crashing halt.

After regaining consciousness, Sulaimon and Tayo crawled out. Some of the passengers had fallen off some meters behind while others were trapped under the truck.

“Are you alright?” Tayo asked Sulaimon.

“My head hurts. I must have hit it on something. Some people are trapped, let’s go help them.”

“No! Run, now!” Tayo shouted.

“What?” Sulaimon was confused further.

Tayo pointed behind them and Sulaimon saw it. The bandits were running towards the truck.

“Our backpacks. They are still in the truck. Sulaimon said.

“Leave them! They're coming.” Tayo shouted.

They both ran, as fast as their legs could take them until they could no longer see the truck or bandits behind them.

“Stop. Stop, please. I'm tired, let’s rest here a little.” Tayo said panting and fell to the ground.

“What if those men are still following us? Come on let’s keep moving.” Sulaimon urged.

“I am tired Sulaimon. Where are we even running to?”

Sulaimon looked around and saw nothing but the vast desert at all ends. “Oh my God. What are we going to do now Tayo?”

“I have no idea. I really don’t know what to do right now.”

After a while, Sulaimon sat beside Tayo. “Let’s go back.” He said.

“What are you saying, go back where?”

“Let’s run back to the bandits. I think that’s our only chance of survival.”

“Sulaimon do you know what you are saying? Those people are wielding AK-47 rifles. They tried to kill us.”

“I know but, how are you even sure they tried to kill us? They only opened fire when they realized that our driver wasn’t stopping.”

“So you are saying that they had those guns and machetes just for fun eh?”

“That’s not what I'm saying but…do you have any better idea? There’s no way we can survive out here without food and water. I didn’t come all this way just to die. At least, maybe if we go back to them, the highest they could do is take us hostage. But they’ll still be feeding us until we can escape.”

“Just listen to yourself Sulaimon. What makes you think they’ll not shoot us if we go back?”

“And what better idea do you…”

“Shush…do you hear that?” Tayo interrupted.

Sulaimon fell silent and listened.

“That sounds like a moving vehicle. That’s a truck!” Sulaimon shouted.

“Hurry! You go that way, I’ll check this end.”

“Heyyy!!! Tayo this way! The truck is this way. Hurry!!!” Sulaimon shouted as he ran towards the direction of the truck.

“Stop!!!” They both shouted as they chased after the truck, waiving their hands relentlessly.

They gor closer to the moving truck but the vehicle wasn't stopping. Sulaimon noticed that the driver could not see them running after the truck as his side mirror was damaged.

“Heyy tell the driver to stop please.” Sulaimon shouted to the people who were sitting at the back of the truck.

Nobody answered as they watched on. Finally, a man stretched his hands. The truck was slowed passing through a bend. Sulaimon and Tayo grabbed that window of opportunity and ran alongside the truck. When he was running as fast as the truck, he reached up with one hand and gripped a rung of the truck and pulled himself off the ground. He seized the rung with his other hand to brace himself. He was then pulled into the truck by the man that had stretched out his hands.

“Quick grab my hands!” Sulaimon shouted as he stretched his hands towards Tayo who was running beside the truck now. Tayo increased his pace, grabbed Sulaimon's hand and lifted himself off the ground.

They were now both on the truck.

With a smile of appreciation, Sulaimon turned to the man that had just helped them. “You speak English?” He asked

“Small English I speak.”

“Ok. Thank you very much for your help. Where is this truck going please?”

“We going to Libya." The man said. "Take water” He handed a small bottle of water to Sulaimon and another to Tayo.

“Ohh thank you so much.” Sulaimon, said gulping down water as the truck rattled endlessly to Libya.

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by PraisesPblaze(m): 2:41pm On Oct 14, 2021
Wow...
Lovely storyline bro.
Continue.

kindly join this train to the western world.
@Dodoatirice
@Therock55555
@frank25

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Tonyspecial(m): 3:00pm On Oct 14, 2021
Is good to take risk but very foolish to take an uninformed risk

ride on OP

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by sulorog(m): 5:54pm On Oct 14, 2021
Op, make sure you finish this story, don't run away oooo!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 7:42am On Oct 15, 2021
PraisesPblaze:
Wow...
Lovely storyline bro.
Continue.

kindly join this train to the western world.
@Dodoatirice
@Therock55555
@frank25
Thank you.
Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 7:42am On Oct 15, 2021
Tonyspecial:
Is good to take risk but very foolish to take an uninformed risk

ride on OP
So true. Thanks
Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 7:43am On Oct 15, 2021
sulorog:
Op, make sure you finish this story, don't run away oooo!!!!!

Lol, I won't as long as I'm not banned from posting like what happened in my previous story. I'll finish this one. Thanks and invite others.
Re: Japa Gone Bad by PraisesPblaze(m): 9:01am On Oct 15, 2021
Elfaris:

Thank you.
Welcome bro.
Any update today?

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 2:18pm On Oct 15, 2021
PraisesPblaze:
Welcome bro.
Any update today?

Tomorrow God willing.
Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 9:47am On Oct 16, 2021
CHAPTER 5

They got to Sabha in southern Libya the next day and spent another day on the road to Tripoli. After several days in a camp and paying thousands of dinars, they finally boarded a wide boat heading to Lampedusa, Italy. As usual, hundreds of migrants fleeing Africa and the middle east were in their numbers on the boat.

“Finally. Italy here I come. New life here I come.” Sulaimon said with joy as the boat started its journey on the Mediterranean Sea.

“Just pray that the sea is calm and we get there safely.” Tayo said calmly.

“It would be calm, don't worry." Sulaimon replied.

“Are you a weather man? Or can you now control the weather?”

"Calm down guy. I don’t know why you have been acting so moody lately Tayo. What is wrong? You don’t seem as excited as you should be about this journey.”

Tayo simply let out a sigh. “I am fine bro. I'm just tired and looking forward to a new life over there.”

Sulaimon tapped his back. “Don't worry bro. We got each other. I believe everything would be fine. I have that feeling.” Sulaimon said.

“Hopefully.” Tayo nodded in agreement.

Everything was calm as they set sail. With Europe on their minds, everyone was confident of the good life that lay ahead. Everyone began growing in confidence. Then some minutes into the journey, every prediction crumbled like a pack of cards. The boat developed a fault. Then a big crack materialized right at a very important part of the boat. It began to let in water, first in small quantities and then in very massive proportions. Before anyone could realize what was amiss, sea water had penetrated and overpowered the hapless craft. Then it began to sink. Fear gripped everyone. Danger and death stared everyone in the face as the end drew near. At that point, everyone burst out into prayers in various tongues.

“Tayo! Water!!” Sulaimon screamed out as the water overshadowed the boat and it sank, leaving everybody at the mercy of the deep, blue sea.

“I am here.” Tayo said tapping behind Sulaimon.

“What are we going to do now? I can’t swim o.” Sulaimon cried out.

“I too cannot swim. Quick! Grab on to this.” Tayo said handing an empty jerry-can to Sulaimon as he held firmly onto another.

After a while, the whole place was calm and quiet. There was just a few of them left as many of the passengers had drowned. Sulaimon and Tayo firmly held on to the jerry-cans until Tayo’s own started to leak and let in water.

“Oh God! Water is coming into my keg Sulaimon.” Tayo said, deep fear in his eyes. He started to go down.

“Leave that one. Come towards mine, let’s hold on to it together.” Sulaimon said stretching his hands out to Tayo.

Tayo let go off his keg and tried swimming towards Sulaimon. But the harder he struggled to remain on sea, the faster he sank.

“Tayo! Tayo!! Hold on!” Sulaimon cried out as Tayo drowned. Soon, his friend was nowhere to be found. “Tayo!! Tayo!!! Tayoo!!!!” Sulaimon kept shouting for his friend till he lost his voice.

About an hour later, Sulaimon and a few others who could swim and were able to suspend and sustain themselves on the water, saw a boat. They started calling out for the boat to come help them. Luck seemed to smile on them as the boat approached. But as Sulaimon and the few others were helped aboard the boat, he was hit with a hard object and blacked-out.

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by PraisesPblaze(m): 10:00am On Oct 16, 2021
Damn...!? Tayo.
Next update bro

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 11:45am On Oct 16, 2021
PraisesPblaze:
Damn...!? Tayo.
Next update bro
Soon.
Re: Japa Gone Bad by sulorog(m): 2:37pm On Oct 16, 2021
Nice one, but this update is too short oooooo!!!!! More !!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Japa Gone Bad by Elfaris(m): 9:04am On Oct 18, 2021
CHAPTER 6

Sulaimon woke up with a banging headache. Lying on the floor opposite him next to tires and kit was a human form, unmoving. He crawled closer and laid his hands on its neck. The body was warm enough not to be dead. Sulaimon craned his neck for a window, there was none. For all he knew he could be deep underground, in some random room in an isolated prison or in someone’s personal cell. Above, the only source of light apart from the sun rays coming in from the unusually wide keyhole of the grey door was an old-fashioned bulb on a bare white wire and its switch was nowhere to be seen. He could hear some voice outside the door as he moved closer and peeped through the key hole. There was a man sitting in front of a pickup truck mounted with a huge gun. Sulaimon carefully turned the handle to open the door but it was locked. The man noticed the door handle moving, he got up and ran toward the door as he shouted in a language Sulaimon guessed instantly was Arabic. Other men came out from another room running towards the door with guns as they inserted the key and opened the door. Sulaimon stepped back, his heart pounding in his chest. The men rushed in and blindfolded him and dragged him out of the room. Sulaimon could hear voices laughing and shouting in excitement as he was being led. Few minutes later, he was pushed to the ground and the blindfold taken off. The sudden flush of light temporarily blinded him. After his pupils readjusted, he looked around and saw that he was lined up with other men in a town square. Old men, women and some children were standing there and staring at them with expressions on their face that showed that they were scared. Most of the buildings were either completely destroyed or damaged. The cars were all burnt to ashes except the ones mounted with guns and masked men standing on them. A man with a long unkempt beard walked towards them and spoke in Arabic. Four men replied him and were ordered to form another line. The bearded man pointed to one of his gunmen who came forward as he spoke to him.

“Who among you understand English?” the gunman asked.

Sulaimon hesitated as three men responded and were ordered to join the first men.

“I understand English too.” Sulaimon finally said with a jitter.

“Then get your ass up and join them there!” The gunman shouted and used the nozzle of his rifle to hit Sulaimon on the face.

Pain, this is called pain. Sulaimon's mind told him as the lad held his face and tears flowed. Who send me bayi?

Sulaimon staggered to the other line as the six men left in the first line were ordered and pushed to a wall behind a building. Sensing the danger, they started crying and pleading in the if different native tongues but it all fell on deaf ears. Soon, bullets rained on them. Sulaimon could feel sweat drench his skin and the taste of blood in his mouth. Fear tortured his guts, churning his stomach in tense cramps as his eyes widened in shock. The bearded man walked to the line Sulaimon and the others were standing and started speaking in Arabic occasionally pointing at them. After speaking, he pushed forward the gunman.

“For those of you who foolishly wanted to end your life on the sea, you have been giving the opportunity to end it fighting for a greater course. You left your families in great pain to chase after your selfish goals. Instead of thinking about what you had, you focused on what you didn’t have. Now you have the opportunity to redeem yourselves. All of you here have been chosen to fight for the great caliphate. You will be trained thoroughly to make you strong soldiers of the caliphate after which you will be deployed to go and join other forces in fighting against the enemies of the caliphate. Anyone of you who tries anything stupid will not have himself to blame as he would be killed instantly. Am I clear?” The gunman shouted.

“Yes!” Sulaimon and the others replied.

“Very good. Now you will all be taken to…” The man noticed someone raising his hand. “Yes?”

Sulaimon swallowed a gulp. “Excuse me sir. Please, where are we and what are we fighting for?” He asked.

The man approached him. “You're young, but it looks like you won’t last long here. I would take this as the action of a novice and won't take any disciplinary action. But the next time I or any other leader is speaking and you interrupt, your head would hang on a spike. Do I make myself clear?"

“Yes sir! Sorry sir!” Sulaimon replied.

The gunman continued. "For those of you who do not already know, you are now in Syria and we are fighting the enemies of the…”

Sulaimon was already drowning in his thoughts the moment he heard Syria. He no longer cared what the gunman was saying as he wondered how he got to Syria all the way from Libya heading to Italy. It's over. He thought.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Gone Bad by PraisesPblaze(m): 9:29am On Oct 18, 2021
Too sad....
Well, still watching

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by Tonyspecial(m): 5:05pm On Oct 20, 2021
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Japa Gone Bad by sulorog(m): 9:49am On Oct 21, 2021
Nice one, more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Have You Been Thrilled By Dan Brown's Books / Test Your Creativity / Writers/bloggers Needed Immediately For Online Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.