Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,449 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA (21960 Views)

Tinubu Orders Withdrawal Of 24-Year-Old Kashim’s Nomination As FERMA Chairman / Tinubu Approves Appointment And Management Team Of FERMA / N300 Million Road Rehabilitation: FERMA Abandons Kogi Road In Ruins (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by Mrkumareze(m): 10:21am On Sep 30, 2021
FERMA that uses firewood, drum and head pan to construct road in my area. I haven't seen a useless agency like FERMA...
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by Nobody: 10:22am On Sep 30, 2021
treesun:

Must everything be politics. FERMA has made road worse.
How did FERMA make road worst?
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by Fryzi(m): 10:22am On Sep 30, 2021
Whatever that will reduce corruption & grow Nigeria is welcome.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by rickyrex(m): 10:22am On Sep 30, 2021
Una wan scrap where some aboki dey take chop... Buhari go fight una oh
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by Nobody: 10:22am On Sep 30, 2021
Mrkumareze:
FERMA that uses firewood, drum and head pan to construct road in my area. I haven't seen a useless agency like FERMA...
LWKM grin
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by Mayng01(m): 10:24am On Sep 30, 2021
Good move. They are useless
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by greatiyk4u(m): 10:25am On Sep 30, 2021
Overstayed its usefulness
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by adabaraabdul: 10:26am On Sep 30, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

Please which of the negatives above is caused by FERMA and those roads you just mentioned are way better than roads like the Ota tollgate or Agbara- Badagry without tolls.

I am not having this convo for the usual negative mindset and lamentations as if everything is the fault of government. Those digging roads without authorization and those burning stuffs on roads etc are part of the problems as much as those who don't suggest probable solutions to our problems yet keep blaming government all the time.

It's your responsibility to suggest ways too and if you can't, you are not helping anyone with the 'lament and go' approach.
FERMA didn't spoil those roads or make the roads worse like you alluded to. I just feel that with the return of tolls, FERMA now becomes underutilized and will serve us better to have agencies with a new mandate that even extends to some rural roads at least in each of the 774 LGAs.
one has to be patient with alot of people here on nairaland. I dont understand th rational behind him or her saying FERMA worsen the roads in Nigeria. You have highlighted the various challenges Ferma is facing as a Government agency, improvements and positive interactions is all we should seek for here.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by treesun: 10:27am On Sep 30, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

Please which of the negatives above is caused by FERMA and those roads you just mentioned are way better than roads like the Ota tollgate or Agbara- Badagry without tolls.

I am not having this convo for the usual negative mindset and lamentations as if everything is the fault of government. Those digging roads without authorization and those burning stuffs on roads etc are part of the problems as much as those who don't suggest probable solutions to our problems yet keep blaming government all the time.

It's your responsibility to suggest ways too and if you can't, you are not helping anyone with the 'lament and go' approach.
FERMA didn't spoil those roads or make the roads worse like you alluded to. I just feel that with the return of tolls, FERMA now becomes underutilized and will serve us better to have agencies with a new mandate that even extends to some rural roads at least in each of the 774 LGAs.

Those digging roads, especially those laying fibre lines pay governments and government will not fix after collecting.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by adabaraabdul: 10:28am On Sep 30, 2021
DubaiLandLord2:
LWKM grin
this is direct labour intervention. There are various classes of intervention. You did not sound very enlightened with your post.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by treesun: 10:30am On Sep 30, 2021
adabaraabdul:
one has to be patient with alot of people here on nairaland. I dont understand th rational behind him or her saying FERMA worsen the roads in Nigeria. You have highlighted the various challenges Ferma is facing as a Government agency, improvements and positive interactions is all we should seek for here.

Travel round and don't just stay in your localities, in most place, FERMA will dig, do a portion, erect big sign posts and leave their equipment on the road. After months remove the equipment and those big pay loaders would have indented the road creating crevices.
Please I am not a politician and don't do politics. Investigate. Yesterday FERMA started fixing the Iwo, Osun road.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by adabaraabdul: 10:30am On Sep 30, 2021
[quote author=Shoodboi post=106306237]For those who find the move suspicious, or are wondering what's happening, what they're saying is that:

The Senate just passed a bill scrapping FERMA (the agency responsible for repairing federal roads) and hoping to replace it with a new agency that will no longer repair roads but instead, offer contracts for the repair of the roads to politicians who will do their repairs on the roads and mount tollgates on them, as Tinubu did at Lekki.

Most of the road contracts are handled by contractors. The difference is just the tolls coming on board. I think I need to study the bill more to understand better.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 30, 2021
adabaraabdul:
this is direct labour intervention. There are various classes of intervention. You did not sound very enlightened with your post.
Are you sure you're okay at all?

Or you just wanna be fool!sh this morning? sad

Person write comment, the comment dey funny to me, you quote me dey write nonsense I no even understand undecided
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by FreeStuffsNG: 10:33am On Sep 30, 2021
allthingsgood:

This is an executive bill i.e it was sent by Ministry of Transportation. Its only sponsored by a member
Oh I see. Thank you sir.
I was just puzzled seeing the contract part as part of the proposed mandate of the agency. Why continue to award contract on federal roads being tolled ri bakan, although I get the PPP arrangement though. Regards.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by mastercee(m): 10:33am On Sep 30, 2021
unitysheart:

One of the best roads in the country is the Lekki Epe Highway. And it is state road, not federal.

Lekki - Epe Highway is one of the best roads in Nigeria? I humbly put it to you that you don't know what you are saying sir
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by PARADIZEPRIEST: 10:33am On Sep 30, 2021
SCRAP FERMA LET EACH STATE GOVR BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTRUSTION OF TRAVEL CARRIGE WAYS AND EXPRESSWAYS angry JUST LIKE AMBODE WAS BUILDING QUALITATIVE STREAMS OF ROADS.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by clark0: 10:34am On Sep 30, 2021
FERMA is one of the most useless agency within the federal govt parastatal. The staffs hardly go to work and in the process receive free salaries. FERMA in benin city can’t even weed the grasses in their office. With their mediocre jobs being done on federal roads across the state. It’s only overdue to scrap the useless damn company.. if you doubt what I say, go to FERMA at sapele road before limit junction (Benin City) and see the rot there cry

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by treesun: 10:39am On Sep 30, 2021
Mrkumareze:

God bless you! You have seen them in action, something is wrong with us in Nigeria. Roads that are meant to be constructed in precise manner, yet we use crude means. Reasons for many of the accidents!

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by Lisaint(m): 10:43am On Sep 30, 2021
They wan scrap FERMA abi they just change their name to something else?
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by RichAbujaGuy: 10:45am On Sep 30, 2021
Sounds like consolidation progress to me. Great to see the Senate PDP & APC working together for improvement.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by panpan(m): 11:12am On Sep 30, 2021
The purpose of the bill is to allow private firms to set up toll gates.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by treesun: 11:32am On Sep 30, 2021
panpan:
The purpose of the bill is to allow private firms to set up toll gates.

Toll gates that we cause hold ups, imagine tolls at Ogere and Ibadan again, some of us grew up in that era. Time wasting. There must be alternate roads.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by Psalmistproject: 11:45am On Sep 30, 2021
One of the best bills.
Let all assents and implementation follow asap!
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by drololaaof: 11:51am On Sep 30, 2021
There is no road that were maintained or repaired by FERMA that last long before you wink an eye you start to see port holes on the road, some of the roads they repaired were undulating . Can site many examples . They have out used their use fulness or they have been overpolticized
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by ofiko123(m): 12:04pm On Sep 30, 2021
Nice one..kudos to the Nigerian senate..
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by lexy2014: 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2021
treesun:

Must everything be politics. FERMA has made road worse.

How did FERMA make roads worse?
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by MYGODISGREAT(m): 1:50pm On Sep 30, 2021
Skip to content

Vanguard News

Menu
HOME
LATEST NEWS
SPORTS
ENTERTAINMENT
VIDEOS
RELATIONSHIPS
POLITICS
FORUM

POSTED INNEWS
Why Buhari declined assent to Fed Roads Authority, Transport Commission Bills
December 20, 2018
Print
By Henry Umoru
ABUJA— PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has written the Senate, declining assent to Federal Roads Authority (Establishment) Bill and National Transport Commissions Bill 2018.

In a letter addressed to the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, and read by him, yesterday, at plenary, President Buhari said he refused to sign the Federal Roads Authority Bill into law because it would make the technical supervisory ministry, Transportation Ministry redundant.

On reasons for his declining assent to Federal Roads Authority (Establishment) Bill 2018, which was passed by the National Assembly, President Buhari in a letter dated December 12, 2018, said: “The establishment of the road sector regulator as a separate and distinctive body in Part 6 of the bill is capable of rendering the entire technical workforce of the supervisory ministry redundant.”

President Buhari attends Extra Ordinary Meeting of Lake Chad Basin in Abuja on 15th Dec 2018
“The supervisory power of the ministry over the road sector would be taken over by the road sector regulator and will leave the ministry without the power to exercise its supervisory role.

“I am declining assent because, one, safety regulatory provisions enshrined in some sections of the bill, which are technical in nature fall within the purview of central legislations implemented by agencies such as Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA; Nigerian Ports Authority, NPA; National Inland Waterways Authority, NIWA, and therefore, should be expunged from the bill.

“Two, the percentage of the amount to be retained by the agency from royalties collected under section 19 (2)(d) should be reduced from 10 to five per cent.”

Section 12 (9)(2)(d) stipulates that a portion of the proceeds from royalties collected by the authority empowered to collect royalties from transport service providers should not exceed 10 per cent which is collected by service providers and concensionaries.

“Three, section 19 (2)(f) which stipulates charge of three per cent freight tariff stabilisation fee on all imports due and exports out of Nigeria including wet and dry cargoes should be amended and reduced from three per cent to one per cent as this is what is currently contained in the Nigerian Shippers Council, NSC, legislation.”

RELATED NEWS
Buhari declines assent to 2 transport bills

December 19, 2018
In "News"
How Buhari rejected 40 bills

Buhari
May 11, 2019
In "News"
The Ajaokuta jinx and the 34 bills rejected by Buhari

Ajaokuta, Nigeria, Russia
April 14, 2019
In "Special Report"
Disclaimer
Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.

EPAPER
Vanguard Newspaper 27 September 2021

Todays Paper

download now
ALLURE
SWEET CRUDE
EDUCATION
ENVIRONMENT
MOTORING
METRO
INTERVIEW
LABOUR
LAW & HUMAN RIGHTS
BUS STOP PARLIAMENT
CRIME GUARD
CRIME ALERT
HOMES & PROPERTY
INVESTORS FORUM
INSURANCE AND YOU
FEATURES
WORSHIP
CONFERENCE HALL
LIFESTYLE
HEALTH
TRAVEL & TOURISM
HUMAN ANGLE
IS IT BEYOND PARDON?
THE ARTS
TUMMY TALK
WOMAN
MONDAY
SPORTS BASSEY
PEOPLE & POLITICS
RATIONAL PERSPECTIVES
SOBOWALE ON BUSINESS
BROKEN LINKS
OWEI LAKEMFA
TUESDAY
FEMI ARIBISALA
DISPATCHES FROM AMERICA
WEDNESDAY
TALKING POINT
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD
TIP OF A NEW DAWN
THURSDAY
PEOPLE & POLITICS
IS’HAQ MODIBBO KAWU
THE HUB
FRIDAY
SWEET AND SOUR
LIPSTICK
OWEI LAKEMFA
SATURDAY
THE PASSING SCENE
MY WORLD
FRANK & FAIR
MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
OIL & GAS SUMMITEER
BITS AND PIECES
SUNDAY
FRANKLY SPEAKING
SUNDAY PERSPECTIVES
NIGERIA TODAY
THE ORBIT
OUTSIDE LOOKING IN
JOYFUL HOMES
ARTICLE OF FAITH
© 2021 Vanguard Media Limited, Nigeria.
HomeAbout UsAdvertise With UsContact usPrivacy Policy
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by MYGODISGREAT(m): 1:53pm On Sep 30, 2021
Site icon Nairametrics
Senate: New bill to take away road ownership and repairs from FG
Titobioluwa Okunade Titobioluwa Okunade
2 years ago

The Nigerian Senate is to set take away the ownership and responsibility of road construction, rehabilitation and maintenance from the Federal Government with a newly introduced bill.

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA), Senator Gershom Bassey, disclosed this in an interview in Abuja on Sunday. He added that if passed and signed into law by the President, the responsibility of road construction, rehabilitation and maintenance would be the duty of foreign and local investors.

According to Gershom Bassey, the PDP Senator representing Cross River South Senatorial District, the legislation was a no brainer as it was clear that the Federal Government was experiencing serious challenges carrying out this duty. Over the years, roads all over the country had gone terribly worse due to lack of maintenance by the various Governments, who are in charge.

State governments own most bad roads - Finance Minister says, FMWH Director explains why Nigerian roads may remain bad for long

Meanwhile, Mr Bassey, while speaking on the amendment of the Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA) Act, said the Act stipulates that the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency to remit 5% of its pump price template to FERMA, Punch reported.

However, the Senate disclosed that since 2007 till date, the accumulated sum, which has not been remitted by the PPPRA, is about N870 billion. He added that the lawmakers were fully convinced the Federal Government was incapable of fixing roads across the country with the funds from the yearly budget.

[READ MORE: Senate to probe PPPRA over unremited N800 billion FERMA fund]

“The PPPRA has not remitted any amount to FERMA or to the state agencies since the law was signed. The last figure we had when we started our investigation was that the unremitted funds had accumulated to N870bn which is due to both FERMA and the states’ road agencies.

“We must find a solution. The new legislation that the Senate is working on now seeks to move road construction and maintenance of the federal budget and let the private sector come in. There is no rocket science here. This idea has been working in other parts of the world and it cannot be different in Nigeria.

“Money will automatically flow into our roads because the private sector will be willing and ready to invest since they know it’s a thriving business and they would recoup their money,” Gershom Bassey said.

The proposed bill is expected to draw a framework for the private sector to come through the creation of the Federal Road Authority (FRA) which would absorb FERMA. The Federal Road Authority would be funded through an infrastructure fund and will own all roads in the country, with its only priority being to deliver good roads all over the country.

Categories: Business, Economy & Politics
Tags: Senator Gershom Bassey
Leave a Comment
Nairametrics
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by Elioandrew: 2:00pm On Sep 30, 2021
FERMA, the most useless agency in Nigeria. #FermaMustGo.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 30, 2021
adabaraabdul:

It is you who needs to study the bill more to understand it better.

Under FERMA, contractors receive a one-off payment for constructing roads. They don't toll. But under this new arrangement, contractors will no longer receive payment for building roads but will be allowed to toll it instead.

So what point are you trying to make?
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Scrap FERMA by COMPAQ(m): 3:14pm On Sep 30, 2021
unitysheart:

One of the best roads in the country is the Lekki Epe Highway. And it is state road, not federal.

Lekki Epe is still as good as it it today because of the toll collected. At least they typically do not allow small potholes to degenerate before fixing them. If not for the toll, Lekki Epe would have fallen apart by now considering the high volume of traffic on that road.

It's because they toll it, that's why LASG at least tries to respond to it very quickly. that is the responsibility that tolling brings.

I would rather drive on a smooth and perfectly managed Lagos- Benin, or Ibadan Ilorin expressway and pay toll, than not pay toll and drive on a death trap.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peter Obi Storms Nnewi In Anambra State, To Celebrate 59th Ofala Festival(Video) / Police Refuse To Bring Sowore, Others For Ruling On Bail Application / Tinubu Should Bring The Likes Of Owen Omogiafo Into His Government - Ikirodah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.