Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,216 members, 7,822,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

How Do I Start The Conversation,do I Say I'm Sorry Or Good Evening? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Do I Start The Conversation,do I Say I'm Sorry Or Good Evening? (312 Views)

I'm Sorry For Men Because They Can't Have Babies - Chimamanda Adichie / When I Say Pvc, Lying Hips And The Y The X / Chimamanda Adichie: 'I Am Sorry For Men, They Can't Have Motherhood' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Start The Conversation,do I Say I'm Sorry Or Good Evening? by crafteck(m): 11:47pm On Sep 30, 2021
Let me push gaming to one side and practice my imaginative writing skills.I dont know where to post and get reviews for improvement

How do I start the conversation,do i say I'm sorry or good evening?
Its meant to be a simple question,but not every simple thing turns out simple once emotions are involved,
memories tore through my mind of years past as i walked to flat 302B,chike was as shy as they come,found it hard to talk to ladies,we grew up in the same barrack in oshodi,Lagos but never knew each other till we met at NDA Kaduna.
I am segun Jagunlabi,in our first year,i met him in the lobby where we eat our lunch ,he had accidentally bashed into a lady a few minutes earlier,he apologized and left I saw everything but kept quiet, he brought his food and sat next to me on a long food table that seats 15 men on each side.I started the chat with him "..O boi..na the general pikin you jam...u be super star,na the finest malawi for this jungle,she no dey follow anybody talk",he grinned "omooo,na mistake o...make dem no give me 500 press up punishment",we laughed and so the friendship began.
A week later,While we were doing our evening exercise,he ran towards me,i felt he had something serious to say,"O boy,na that babe be that,how do i start the conversation,do i say I'm sorry or good evening?"
I guess he is new to the social world,i warned him to leave her,if he wants to live long enough,to lose his virginity,we laughed and I hoped he would desist.
He had lost his dad about 5 year earlier,things have not been easy for the family since then,even retirees have not gotten their pensions talkless of dead soldier,he's mum has had to help lots of families with domestic work to get by,i have no idea why he still wanted to serve as a soldier but he was determined,he woke earlier than others and carried out his daily duties with happiness always,no complaints.
Several breaks that we had i usually spent days at his house,the guy was very funny,even though they didn't have much,they were satisfied,i couldn't complain about their living conditions because i know what they are going through and their mum will never allow me assist financially,i had tried about 5 times,she would always say,"Segun,just protect my boy for me,you know you are taller than him",she often wondered why we didn't go into normal jobs like computer engineering or banking and Chike was always quick to clear her that if he touched keyboard,he would do yahoo(internet scam).Chike was stronger and faster than me so I wondered why she felt I should protect him,he had a sixth sense and always knew seconds before trouble would come.
Fast forward to a few months ago,we had been deployed to 7 Division of Nigerian Army, headquartered in Maiduguri which became operational on 22 August 2013 to carry out high tempo counter terrorist operations in its Area of Operational Responsibility. As part of this effort, troops of the formation have conducted operations to pre-empt, dislocate and disrupt the insurgent’s activities in the North-East. In the process, insurgent camps located at Kitumari, Alkaderi, Kurunmati, Abali, Gajiram and Iza within the Sambisa Forest have been destroyed.
Chike stood out,was never afraid of being the first to go in and last to go out,he had two statements he always made..
"No be we get our lifes,any body fit get emergency checkout anytime"
"I hope to get to the top but more than that,i pray the people we came here to die for understand our plight and fight for us too,no be every fight gun de win"
I believe the latter had to do with government policies and how civilians have failed to speak up about the politics and policies that involve lives of soldiers and their families off the battlefield.
On thursday,we woke early to patrol the Iza area,it was a boring day since chike and i were in 2 different armoured personnel carriers(APC),there were 12 soldiers in each and 3 vehicles in all,he was in the one in front,his girlfriend as we call her was with him,she was driving the first vehicle,here eyes were the best because she could spot anything from anywhere,we felt they both had super powers,hers must be from benin.The first Apc came to a fast halt, the others followed suit,it was a bright day and the bushes were low so we were sure there was no enemy around,we were all perfectly silent and ready for action.
Chike got down through the back,bent and moved fast to the front of the first Apc,he was suddenly still,he brought out his dogtag,and threw it to his girlfriend.We knew there was great danger,he signalled us to drive back without getting down from the vehicle,we stopped about 10 meters behind him,he signalled his girlfriend who then ordered us to face all directions,then the shooting began,we were surrounded by the insurgents,about 60 of them,we shot from the vehicles,4 minutes into the onslaught i looked in chike's direction,i expected him to be flat on the floor,to avoid being an easy target,but he only bent and made very slight movements while shooting,then i realized what was going on,i got down from the vehicle but before i could make a run towards him,he moved his right leg.
All went dark,it wasnt night,it wasn't because of the bomb,i wasn't because of the few insurgents left as we had been able to kill most of them,it was because a part of me had just gone,a family,a friend,a brother.He gave 35 of us a fighting chance,the explosive gone off under any vehicle,there would have been deaths ,injuries and we would have been too disoriented to respond or protect ourselves on time,not all heroes wear cape and tights.
Now back to the question as I hold Chike's star,dog tag and items and I approach flat 302B one more time.
How do I start the conversation,do i say I'm sorry or good evening?

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Ana Congratulates Cheluchi Onyemelukwe-onuobia And Uchechukwu Umez Uwazurike / Vacancy: Creative Writing Intern / Assignment Paper By Praises Chidera Obiora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.