Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,556 members, 7,955,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:00 PM

Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) (25472 Views)

Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1960s, '70s And '80s (Videos And Memories) / Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos and Memories). / Pictures From Celebrations Of Buharis Victory From All Over Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by OrdinaryNigeria(m): 6:37am On Oct 01, 2021
Best thread in a while

3 Likes

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Bunmhi(f): 6:37am On Oct 01, 2021
I pray the Lord will return the lost Glory and honor of this country.

1 Like

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Crucialgem(m): 6:44am On Oct 01, 2021
The intense love I have for this country ehnnn I can't explain. I woke up singing the song of unity for our great Nigerian. Happy independence day fellow Nigerians. Nigeria will be great again. This I have seen and this I know it will happen

1 Like

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Ligxy(f): 6:55am On Oct 01, 2021
naptu2:
1961 Independence Day Parade video

Finally Sir Abubakar and Dr Azikiwe watch as first the troops and later the school children march past the saluting dais (there's a cheeky school boy that sticks out his tongue at the camera).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Kk2G3tzIM

That cheeky school boy will be a grandpa now, with cheeky grandchildren.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by wildikeman(m): 6:56am On Oct 01, 2021
NoFucksToGive:
Useless thread of a failed nation

Mediocrity

I swear... Me i am going about my business o. Like any other day. My independence is when I leave or when all these leaders since after the civil war era dies.

If them born anybody mama well to just holla happy Independence Day to me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by lomprico(m): 6:57am On Oct 01, 2021
Buhari has fuccked the country beyond repair. I rather be under colonialism than what we have today.

we should be mourning nigeria not celebrating her.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by NoFucksToGive: 6:59am On Oct 01, 2021
wildikeman:

I swear... Me i am going about my business o. Like any other day. My independence is when I leave or when all these leaders since after the civil war era dies.

If them born anybody mama well to just holla happy Independence Day to me

I slapped my neighbor's 9 year old for saying happy independence unku

I slapped the independence out of her mouth and she ran crying I just left there quickly

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by do4luv14(m): 7:03am On Oct 01, 2021
InHeaven:
What more can we say!
Despite odds, God bless The Federal Republic of Nigeria.
May odds be in our favour.

Amen

1 Like

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Truekay: 7:08am On Oct 01, 2021
Nice
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by wildikeman(m): 7:09am On Oct 01, 2021
NoFucksToGive:

I slapped my neighbor's 9 yesr old for day happy independence unku

I slapped the independence out of her mouth and she ran crying I just left there quickly

A bottle of cold freshly brewed beer for you my good sir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Omoluabi1stborn: 7:12am On Oct 01, 2021
naptu2:

I wrote the first post from memory in 2019. Those are things that I witnessed during various Independence Day celebrations.

Omo, u be big baddy ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Lifebenzy: 7:13am On Oct 01, 2021
The British fuckup big time.. they should have held us for another 50 years.. that independence was a big wickedness.. now this generation is suffering because of that.. what a mess

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Simdyofficial(f): 7:16am On Oct 01, 2021
Beast happy blood suckers day

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Timfreds(m): 7:30am On Oct 01, 2021
The full downward collapse of Nigeria started from Babangida. IBB initiated and supervised the fall of the country. Buhari came and finally killed and he's buring it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by ExposingdMatrix: 7:32am On Oct 01, 2021
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by rummmy: 7:39am On Oct 01, 2021
Celebrating backwardness

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Timfreds(m): 7:43am On Oct 01, 2021
"Nigeria is 25" is still ringing in my head till now. One Independence celebration we cannot easily forget. Great expectations back then. But unfortunately the same IBB started the killing of the country. Now we have no Independence to celebrate.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Vistra40: 7:45am On Oct 01, 2021
mu2sa2:
The founding fathers did their best for Nigeria. But alas! the solid foundation so selflessly laid is what criminal politicians, ipob, boko haram, esn, domestic terrorists aka militants, and other undesirable elements are bent at destroying.
May God continue to bless our dear native land of Nigeria and shame, decimate, annihilate, pulverise ALL her enemies and detractors.

Bro, let’s leave the entire country. What have you done for your immediate constituency or locality?
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Ninokingz1(m): 7:50am On Oct 01, 2021
God bless Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Nigeria shall RISE AGAIN.

Happy Independence patriots.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by pegix(m): 7:56am On Oct 01, 2021
ola4gud:
Today is my birthday
more life my G......nor go reason naija matter today ....
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by gidgiddy: 8:05am On Oct 01, 2021
NoFucksToGive:
Useless thread of a failed nation

Mediocrity

Correction, failed country, Nigeria is no nation
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by ukaface(f): 8:06am On Oct 01, 2021
Failed country.
From president down to the common man, every One no just make sense.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Innovate07: 8:07am On Oct 01, 2021
Crucialgem:
The intense love I have for this country ehnnn I can't explain. I woke up singing the song of unity for our great Nigerian. Happy independence day fellow Nigerians. Nigeria will be great again. This I have seen and this I know it will happen

May this same love and good wishes you have for Nigeria be your portion in life.
May this land flourish again and may God keep us alive to enjoy it
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Gee64: 8:21am On Oct 01, 2021
Celebrating Nigeria's Independence with empty stomach.
For goodness sake, let's all stop promoting scam and criminality. It's giving us as a nation a bad name globally. We are the cause of the problem in Nigeria. Even the government we are condemning today, we fraudulently voted the politicians into office. We created graduate unemployment because most of the said graduates are unemployable. Imagine a graduate mathematics teacher who couldn't solve a simple JS3 mathematics simultaneous equation. And there was this Teacher of English whom I asked, "What subject do you teach?" Her reply was, "I teaches English".

Let's stop being fraudulent, selfish and tribalistic if we must move the nation forward!

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Cantonese: 8:30am On Oct 01, 2021
Those were the days were we practiced unity in diversity. Inspite of the ambitions and aspirations of the political leaders, we had good people with integrity, openness and a lot of shared values. We had Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Chief Nnamdi Aikiwe and Mallam Aminu Kano. We also had some very bad eggs among the leaders but ultimately we moved forward.

Independence celebration was always very colorful, very beautiful. Everyone prepared for it like Christmas and Ileya. Everyone shared food and drinks. Everyone looked forward to getting to TBS to see the planes flying over. Everyone scrambled to get the national flag. The planes would throw little balls bearing the national colors and all scrambled to get it. We had a happy nation even with the civil war behind us.

Nigerians were happy in the 60s, 70s and 80s. It did not matter where you came from. Inter tribal and inter religious marriages were promoted. When it was Christmas everyone shared the joyful mood. When it was Ileya, ram was shared happily among all.

This baba planned a coup with IBB, Abacha and the rest, executed it on the 31st of December 1983 and Nigeria never remained the same again since then.
They started what was called “low key celebration”. While Nigerians were made to believe that the economy was bad, they were busy looting the treasury. Rather than talk about the 39 years wasted by the military, in which baba played active roles as a war veteran, military governor, minister of petroleum of chairman of PTF, we are told that PDP embezzled the purse for 16 years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by lanreonplanet(m): 8:35am On Oct 01, 2021
I still remember part of the 1985 independence song " Nigeria is 25... Arise and salute the nation... enjoy the celebration, people united will never fall. ..the sun shine and rain fall..."
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Gee64: 8:37am On Oct 01, 2021
He is not alone in government. We are all to blame for the woes we are all facing today. For us to go back to the status quo, we must all reorder our priorities as individuals and as a nation.
Cantonese:
Those were the days were we practiced unity in diversity. Inspite of the ambitions and aspirations of the political leaders, we had good people with integrity, openness and a lot of shared values. We had Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Chief Nnamdi Aikiwe and Mallam Aminu Kano. We also had some very bad eggs among the leaders but ultimately we moved forward.

Independence celebration was always very colorful, very beautiful. Everyone prepared for it like Christmas and Ileya. Everyone shared food and drinks. Everyone looked forward to getting to TBS to see the planes flying over. Everyone scrambled to get the national flag. The planes would throw little balls bearing the national colors and all scrambled to get it. We had a happy nation even with the civil war behind us.

Nigerians were happy in the 60s, 70s and 80s. It did not matter where you came from. Inter tribal and inter religious marriages were promoted. When it was Christmas everyone shared the joyful mood. When it was Ileya, ram was shared happily among all.

This baba planned a coup with IBB and the rest, executed it on the 31st of December 1983 and Nigeria never remained the same again since then.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by seraphvictoria(f): 8:39am On Oct 01, 2021
If only we can let go of the personal gains we stand to earn and think of the collective good. If only we can realize that we stand to gain more when the country is better than when it is in ruins. Then we can make effort to make Nigeria better.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by Crucialgem(m): 9:05am On Oct 01, 2021
Innovate07:

May this same love and good wishes you have for Nigeria be your portion in life.
May this land flourish again and may God keep us alive to enjoy it

I extend this love and well wishes to whosoever person that have this same thought as mine
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by naptu2: 9:49am On Oct 01, 2021
naptu2:
I can't believe that I've finally found a video of the doyen of stand up comedy in Nigeria. I don't mind the fact that the audio quality is poor, I'm just happy to see him in action again.

No event was complete without him. President Babangida was so eager to get him to MC the "Command Performance" event of the 1985 Independence Day celebrations, that he sent people all over Lagos to search for him and when he discovered that JC had gone to his village, hessent the presidential jet to bring him back to Lagos.

Many will also remember him from Radio Nigeria 1 and NTA's Things Fall Apart and the Bar Beach Show.

Both Babangida and Chief MKO Abiola contributed money to pay for his medical expenses (Abiola deposited £25,000 at the hospital in London), but John Chukwu eventually died in November 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWmRVB-wbHU

^ Fashion shows were very popular in Nigeria in the late 1980s and early 1990s and that was John Chukwu's stand up comedy routine at a fashion show (I've seen another similar video on YouTube).

naptu2:
Wow! And I've found another one.

I obviously don't need to introduce John Chukwu, so I' ll introduce Collins Onomoh instead. Collins Onomoh is the guy that played the part of Odili (the taxi driver from Bendel State) in Second Chance (NTA c1985-1989).

This is Bandwagon Comedy Hour (Radio Nigeria 2, AM/FM Stereo). It was broadcast in 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91l344a1TW4

naptu2:
Memories. The Nigerian Music Awards.

Hosts: John Chukwu (king of stand up comedy) and Julie Coker (broadcaster and former beauty queen).

Venue: National Theatre (all but one). Nicon Noga Hilton (1).

Remember Charlie Boy towing guests on to the stage with his motorcycle? The guests were seated on a couch, which was towed by Charlie Boy's motorcycle.

Most famous gaffe: Sir Shina Peters said, "I want to wish King Sunny Ade soonest recover".

Foreign awardee: Mariam Makeba (South Africa).

Chief host: Chief Tony Okoroji

Best new artist : Sir Shina Peters.

Lifetime achievement awards: Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, Dan Maria Jos.

Fela never attended the event. Femi always received his award on his behalf, but there was a year in which he attended the pre-award ceremony at the O-Jay's restaurant. Journalists swarmed round him and asked him if he would attend that year's event. He said that he might, but he didn't. (Remember that he didn't even attend his daughter's wedding. He said that he forgot the date).

Special guest of honour: President Babangida (always represented by Admiral Aikhomu or the minister of information ).

naptu2:

John Chukwu

John Chukwu was Nigeria’s most famous comedian in the 1980s. He was a stand-up comedian, had a radio comedy show (Band Wagon Comedy Hour), a TV comedy show (Laff Mattaz), and a night club. He compered many major events in Nigeria, like the first Nigerian Music Awards, which he hosted with Julie Coker. In 1985 President Babangida had to send the presidential jet to pick him up from his home state so that he could MC the Command Performance to mark Nigeria’s 25th anniversary.

John Chukwu fell ill in 1990 and his family reached out to Chief MKO Abiola and President Babangida. MKO contacted a hospital in the UK and arranged for John Chukwu to be treated there. President Babangida also pledged some money towards his treatment. Unfortunately John Chukwu died before he could be flown out of the country.

naptu2:
I was arguing with myself earlier today and if you had seen me you might have thought that I was mad.

What was I arguing about? Well, I posted a video of the New Village Headmaster earlier today and I heard a voice as I was watching it and my mind immediately exclaimed, "That's John Chukwu's voice"! However, another part of my mind said, "John Chukwu didn't act in Village Headmaster", yet the first part insisted, "That's John Chukwu's voice" and the face actually did look like John Chukwu.

Who was John Chukwu?

Well, think of him as the Ali Baba of the 1980s. He was the most popular stand up comedian at the time, but he wasn't just any other stand up comedian. He had a comedy show on Radio Nigeria 2 called Comedy Bandwagon and another show on NTA 2 Channel 5 called Laff Mattaz. He also owned a nightclub called Klass Night Club.

John Chukwu was the number one stand up comedian of the 1980s. He co-hosted the first ever Nigerian Music Awards (NMA) with Julie Coker. He was the host of many fashion shows and he also hosted many state events. When Nigeria celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1985, President Babangida had to send the presidential jet to pick John Chukwu, who had gone to his village on holiday, so that he could host the command performance.

John Chukwu fell ill in 1990 and his family reached out to Chief MKO Abiola and President Babangida. MKO contacted a hospital in the UK and arranged for John Chukwu to be treated there. President Babangida also pledged some money towards his treatment. Unfortunately John Chukwu died before he could be flown out of the country.

So how could I forget that John Chukwu acted in the Village Headmaster? It’s strange to me.

John Chukwu played the role of Uche. You can see him with Okoro and Dagbolu at the 9:50 minute mark.

naptu2:
You can see the great Jimmy Johnson acting as Okoro at the 9:50 minute mark in this video. (You can also see Chief Dagbolu).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSl5Nt10wh8

It is fitting that Ali Baba was the one that mentioned John Chukwu's name because, in my view, Ali Baba succeeded John Chukwu as the pre-eminent comedian in Nigeria. This was at the Lagos at 50 celebrations in 2017 and comedians were paying tributes to their departed colleagues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8baqt2GMh0

naptu2:
I wish the audio was much better. The first video is the introduction and the second video is the joke.

I've been typing out what he said and then deleting it. I've done that 4 times. I think it's better that I leave you to watch these two very short videos yourself. I also previously wrote what some people said in the 1980s, but I also deleted that because I think it's better to leave you to make up your own mind, rather than being influenced by what those people said in the '80s.

But I'll give a little explanation about the first video. What is now known as the Eko Hotel was once known as the Eko Holiday Inn (in the mid-1980s) and then it became the L'Hotel Eko Le Meridien in the late 1980s. Apparently this event occurred in the late 1980s, after the name was changed.

Watch these two very short videos, especially the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz5XEl4Cu3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSMIbgZCnQ

naptu2:
When I get to Ibadan they call me John Suuku. I don't mind. But I have a reply. When they say John Suuku, I reply, "John Oniku Chukwu", because suuku means cry and die.
Re: Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos And Memories) by IbileIfe: 10:24am On Oct 01, 2021
OP,
You have made my eyes wet with tears with the memories of the past celebrations of October 1 Independence Day anniversary of NIGERIA.
I miss the Independence Day parades at the Tafawa Balewa Square in Onikan on the Lagos Island.
I miss my beloved parents.
Sunday Eke and Mrs. Gladys Unuamaighiuwa Eke.
I miss Lagos of 1970s and 1980s.
I miss growing up in Obalende on the Lagos Island.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

IPOB Bans Nigerian National Anthems In South-East Schools / Hundreds Of APC Members In Nasarawa Defect To PDP, Burn Brooms / ICC Accepts Petition Against Onanuga, Others Over Alleged Incitement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.