Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' (2957 Views)

This FOOLISH Comment Got 1,000 Likes On Nairaland - My Response To Crush It / You Can't Be Wearing Igala Neck Bead And You Will Be Nominated For 4 Eviction / Africa As A Dinner To The Whites! We Are Still Under The Colonial Masters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 8:49pm On Oct 01, 2021
McTominay:

Keep quiet! If not for the white folks we would still be putting on leaves.

This alone is the start of your miseducation.

This statement is symptomatic of how DISGRACEFULLY IGNORANT you and so many Nigerians are about your history.

Are you aware that the entire southern and northern Nigeria was a vast textile manufacturing hub before the whites invaded?

And that the colonialists destroyed the industry so we could buy textiles from Europe instead?

Are you aware that We exported soap to Europe before colonisation, because THEY had no soap industry?

Are you aware that Italy had to BAN imported Nigerian SOAP in the 1800s in order to protect the young Italian soap manufacturing industry?

Are you aware that BENIN CITY had street lights and underground drainage a full 300 years before London?

Are you aware that the Benin Empire exchanged ambassadors with Portugal as early as the late 1490s?

Are you aware that in BENIN today sits the largest structure ever constructed by man, the Benin Earthworks and Military Ramparts?

Described by the Guinness Book of Records as "the world's largest earthworks carried out prior to the mechanical era"?

According to estimates by the New Scientist’s Fred Pearce, Benin City’s walls were at one point “four times longer than the Great Wall of China, and consumed a hundred times more material than the Great Pyramid of Cheops”.

Pearce writes that these walls “extended for some 16,000 km in all, in a mosaic of more than 500 interconnected settlement boundaries. They covered 6,500 sq km and were all dug by the Edo people … They took an estimated 150 million hours to construct, and are perhaps the largest single archaeological phenomenon on the planet”.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace

Are you aware that BENIN CITY, which was essentially the capital of ancient southern Nigeria, was described by European visitors from the 1500s as one of the most beautiful cities in the entire world?

A city where crime was non-existent, and people saw no need to build front doors to their houses?

''Indeed, they classified Benin City as one of the most beautiful and best planned cities in the world.

In 1691, the Portuguese ship captain Lourenco Pinto observed: “Great Benin, where the king resides, is larger than Lisbon; all the streets run straight and as far as the eye can see. The houses are large, especially that of the king, which is richly decorated and has fine columns. The city is wealthy and industrious. It is so well governed that theft is unknown and the people live in such security that they have no doors to their houses.”

In contrast, London at the same time is described by Bruce Holsinger, professor of English at the University of Virginia, as being a city of “thievery, prostitution, murder, bribery and a thriving black market made the medieval city ripe for exploitation by those with a skill for the quick blade or picking a pocket”.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace

You see, until you NIGERIANS are mentally decolonised and RECONNECTED WITH YOUR HISTORY, and remember who you really are, rather than who the colonialists told you you were, you will continue to wallow in ignorance, self hate, pessimism, racial inferiority complex, and moral debasement.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Homeboiy: 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2021
But the Benin city now na another thing

Backwards

7 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by chatinent: 8:53pm On Oct 01, 2021
An iota of truth in it tho.

1 Like

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 8:54pm On Oct 01, 2021
Homeboiy:
But the Benin city now na another thing

Backwards

The Benin City we are discussing was invaded, attacked, burnt down and looted by the British in 1897.

21 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Lifestone(m): 8:54pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

This statement is symptomatic of how DISGRACEFULLY IGNORANT you and so many Nigerians are about your history.

Are you aware that the entire southern and northern Nigeria was a vast textile manufacturing hub before the whites invaded?

And that the colonialists destroyed the industry so we could buy textiles from Europe instead?

Are you aware that We exported soap to Europe before colonisation, because THEY had no soap industry?

Are you aware that Italy had to BAN imported Nigerian SOAP in the 1800s in order to protect the young Italian soap manufacturing industry?

Are you aware that BENIN CITY had street lights and underground drainage a full 300 years before London?

Are you aware that the Benin Empire exchanged ambassadors with Portugal as early as the late 1490s?

Are you aware that in BENIN today sits the largest structure ever constructed by man, the Benin Earthworks and Military Ramparts?

Described by the Guinness Book of Records as "the world's largest earthworks carried out prior to the mechanical era"?

According to estimates by the New Scientist’s Fred Pearce, Benin City’s walls were at one point “four times longer than the Great Wall of China, and consumed a hundred times more material than the Great Pyramid of Cheops”.

Pearce writes that these walls “extended for some 16,000 km in all, in a mosaic of more than 500 interconnected settlement boundaries. They covered 6,500 sq km and were all dug by the Edo people … They took an estimated 150 million hours to construct, and are perhaps the largest single archaeological phenomenon on the planet”.

Are you aware that BENIN CITY, which was essentially the capital of ancient southern Nigeria, was described by European visitors from the 1500s as one of the most beautiful cities in the entire world?

A city where crime was non-existent, and people saw no need to build front doors to their houses?

''Indeed, they classified Benin City as one of the most beautiful and best planned cities in the world.

In 1691, the Portuguese ship captain Lourenco Pinto observed: “Great Benin, where the king resides, is larger than Lisbon; all the streets run straight and as far as the eye can see. The houses are large, especially that of the king, which is richly decorated and has fine columns. The city is wealthy and industrious. It is so well governed that theft is unknown and the people live in such security that they have no doors to their houses.”

In contrast, London at the same time is described by Bruce Holsinger, professor of English at the University of Virginia, as being a city of “thievery, prostitution, murder, bribery and a thriving black market made the medieval city ripe for exploitation by those with a skill for the quick blade or picking a pocket”.

You see, until you NIGERIANS are mentally decolonised and RECONNECTED WITH YOUR HISTORY, and remember who you really are, you will continue to wallow in ignorance, self hate, racial inferiority complex, and moral debasement.
I tire for these people o. They make statements out of ignorance

2 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Homeboiy: 8:56pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

The Benin City we are discussing was invaded, attacked, burnt down and looted by the British in 1897.

Evil British

Make Benin people go invade Britain back na

9 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Wawelexy(m): 8:58pm On Oct 01, 2021
The Whites learnt a lot from us, took them back to their country and developed those idea they stole from us....

Whites should be the one grateful to us...

4 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 9:00pm On Oct 01, 2021
African fractals

Benin City’s planning and design was done according to careful rules of symmetry, proportionality and repetition now known as fractal design.

The mathematician Ron Eglash, author of African Fractals – which examines the patterns underpinning architecture, art and design in many parts of Africa – notes that the city and its surrounding villages were purposely laid out to form perfect fractals, with similar shapes repeated in the rooms of each house, and the house itself, and the clusters of houses in the village in mathematically predictable patterns.

As he puts it: “When Europeans first came to Africa, they considered the architecture very disorganised and thus primitive. It never occurred to them that the Africans might have been using a form of mathematics that they hadn’t even discovered yet.”

At the centre of the city stood the king’s court, from which extended 30 very straight, broad streets, each about 120-ft wide. These main streets, which ran at right angles to each other, had underground drainage made of a sunken impluvium with an outlet to carry away storm water. Many narrower side and intersecting streets extended off them. In the middle of the streets were turf on which animals fed.

“Houses are built alongside the streets in good order, the one close to the other,” writes the 17th-century Dutch visitor Olfert Dapper. “Adorned with gables and steps … they are usually broad with long galleries inside, especially so in the case of the houses of the nobility, and divided into many rooms which are separated by walls made of red clay, very well erected.”

Dapper adds that wealthy residents kept these walls “as shiny and smooth by washing and rubbing as any wall in Holland can be made with chalk, and they are like mirrors. The upper storeys are made of the same sort of clay. Moreover, every house is provided with a well for the supply of fresh water”.

''The upper storeys''.

Meanwhile we have Nigerians proudly posting British-built storey buildings from 400 years later in the 1900s as being the ''first storey building in Nigeria.''

Lost people.

8 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by BKayy: 9:00pm On Oct 01, 2021
Oga Bini City was never the capital of any southern Nigeria.
Infact most of us don't know you people (Yoruba and others).
The Bini over blowing started with the introduction of Warrant chiefs in Igboland. They used Bini as a template for the abomination. Apart from that, we (Ndigbo) don't know you people like that and never revered you guys.
You think you know history?
I spit facts not fairly tales or lies recorded without research to deceive further.

So Mr Reflect7, when you talk about that "Southern Nigeria" be specific and try to elaborate that Ndigbo are excluded because our own history and links sways in the direction of Southern Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon and Angola.
This is something they don't want the educated idiots that call themselves Literates in Igboland to know.
We don't share much with you people (Bini, Yoruba etc)

9 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Blackdeewhy(m): 9:05pm On Oct 01, 2021
Lots of things are wrong with our history. Part of it is spellings of name. Yoruba alphabet does not have sh Rather S
Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 9:07pm On Oct 01, 2021
BKayy:
Oga Bini City was never the capital of any southern Nigeria.
Infact most of us don't know you people (Yoruba and others).
The Bini over blowing started with the introduction of Warrant chiefs in Igboland. They used Bini as a template for the abomination. Apart from that, we (Ndigbo) don't know you people like that and never revered you guys.
You think you know history?
I spit facts not fairly tales or lies recorded without research to deceive further.

All quotes made here are well sourced and referenced to respected historical sources.

None of the above is a subject of historical dispute, except in your own head.

Feel free to manufacture your own history.

5 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by BKayy: 9:19pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

All quotes made here are well sourced and referenced to respected historical sources.

None of the above is a subject of historical dispute, except in your own head.

Feel free to manufacture your own history.
You are still doing exactly the same thing you accused the "we will be wearing leaves" dude of. That is relying on the same twisted narrative he got his information from.
As a reasonable person, you should be the one to research like we did. Look for links then you can have a glimpse of the truth.
Minus Warrant Chief system, 98% of the Ndigbo won't know you people

6 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 9:21pm On Oct 01, 2021
''...in the palaces, pillars were covered with bronze plaques illustrating the victories and deeds of former kings and nobles.''

''At the height of its greatness in the 12th century – well before the start of the European Renaissance – the kings and nobles of Benin City patronised craftsmen and lavished them with gifts and wealth, in return for their depiction of the kings’ and dignitaries’ great exploits in intricate bronze sculptures.

“These works from Benin are equal to the very finest examples of European casting technique,” wrote Professor Felix von Luschan, formerly of the Berlin Ethnological Museum. “Benvenuto Celini could not have cast them better, nor could anyone else before or after him. Technically, these bronzes represent the very highest possible achievement.”''

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 9:34pm On Oct 01, 2021
BKayy:

You are still doing exactly the same thing you accused the "we will be wearing leaves" dude of. That is relying on the same twisted narrative he got his information from.
As a reasonable person, you should be the one to research like we did. Look for links then you can have a glimpse of the truth.
Minus Warrant Chief system, 98% of the Ndigbo won't know you people

First of all, let me decolonise your thinking a bit.

In this precolonial era under discussion, there was no such thing as ''Ndigbo''.

What we had were Igbo-speaking peoples.

There were no 'Yorubas'.

What we had were Yoruba-speaking peoples.

There were no 'Hausas'.

Just Hausa-speaking peoples.

What tied people together in precolonial Nigeria was not the language they spoke, but their lineage and ancestry.

An Aro man did not consider himself brothers with an Owerri man.

An Ekiti man did not consider himself of the same 'ethnic group' as an Ijebu man.

It was the COLONIALISTS who created language-based 'ethnic groups' in order to create large blocs of division that would pitch one group of natives against the other, and create ethnic rivalry, thus preventing their unification to drive away the colonialists.

So at this period under discussion, they were no ''Igbos'' as a group unified in anything.

So it makes no sense for you to claim that ''Igbos did not know Benin''.

SOME Igbo-speaking people would definitely have known about Benin.

There is no reason to think they were all stuck in their homelands and never travelled or had visitors, or engaged in trade.

6 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by SarkinYarki: 9:45pm On Oct 01, 2021
Apart from.political sycophancy ,please name one thing you have ever created

2 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by BKayy: 9:46pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

First of all, let me decolonise your thinking a bit.

In this precolonial era under discussion, there was no such thing as ''Ndigbo''.

What we had was Igbo-speaking peoples.

There were no 'Yorubas'.

What we had were Yoruba-speaking peoples.

There were no 'Hausas'.

Just Hausa speaking peoples.

What tied people together in precolonial Nigeria was not the language they spoke, but their lineage and ancestry.

An Aro man did not consider himself brothers with an Owerri man.

An Ekiti man did not consider himself of the same group as an Ijebu man.

It was the COLONIALISTS who created language-based 'ethnic groups' in order to create blocs of division that would pitch one group of natives against the other, and create ethnic rivalry, and prevent their unification to drive away the colonialists.

So at this period under discussion, they were no ''Igbos'' as a group unified in anything. So it makes no sense for you to claim that ''Igbios did not know Benin''.

SOME Igbo speaking people would definitely have known about Benin. There is no reason to think they were all stuck in their homelands and never travelled or had visitors or trade.

You see why I said that you are the same with the guy.
Please explain to us why there are communities with - Igbo attached to it at the four corners of Igboland.

Igbo-Akiri towards the border with Ẹdo people
Igbo ịdu towards the border with Ekoi
Odenigbo towards border with Idoma
Ụmụ Igbo towards the border with Ogoni
Then Amaigbo at the center of Igboland.

You see, unlike you people ancient Igbo people are philosophers and knew that a day like this will come thats why they did all these.
Unlike you people, they
-Developed their calendar system
-Direct Republican system (most advanced)
-Written constitution
-Counting
-Writing
-Metal smiting
Etc

Pay Attention here "Of all the black groups, the white avoided writing much about Igbo people because there they met what disapproves with their belief of black people. They saw advanced systems most notably the direct Republic which supercedes that of Athens"

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Idamond: 9:46pm On Oct 01, 2021
the white isn't to be blame the blacks kings should sip all the nlame for selling there self to them and also selling there people to them as slave..

1 Like

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 9:59pm On Oct 01, 2021
BKayy:

You see why I said that you are the same with the guy.
Please explain to us why there are communities with - Igbo attached to it at the four corners of Igboland.

Igbo-Akiri towards the border with Ẹdo people
Igbo ịdu towards the border with Ekoi
Odenigbo towards border with Idoma
Ụmụ Igbo towards the border with Ogoni
Then Amaigbo at the center of Igboland.

You see, unlike you people ancient Igbo people are philosophers and knew that a day like this will come thats why they did all these.
Unlike you people, they
-Developed their calendar system
-Direct Republican system (most advanced)
-Written constitution
-Counting
-Writing
-Metal smiting
Etc

Pay Attention here "Of all the black groups, the white avoided writing much about Igbo people because there they met what disapproves with their belief of black people. They saw advanced systems most notably the direct Republic which supercedes that of Athens"

You know what, I'm done with you. You're an ethnic bigot. You are not here to contribute anything but bigotry, rivalry, and hatred for other ethnIcities as the whites taught you to do.

Have you studied Benin history to know if they had a calendar, metal smithing, and mathematics, which you called ''counting''?

I mean, your ignorance stinks.

Here was an empire that you've just read accounts about above, of their great accomplishments, and in all that you read, it did not occur to your thick skull that those people surely knew how to COUNT?

Do Benin people not have words for numbers in their language like you do?

How can a people who exchanged ambassadors with Portugal as early as the 1490s, engaged in international trade, built cities according to fractal design, and built the world's largest man-made structure, not know how to count?

I'm done with you. Just get lost from here.

3 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by BKayy: 10:03pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

You know what, I'm done with you. You're an ethnic bigot. You are not here to contribute anything but bigotry, rivalry, and hatred for other ethnIcities as the whites taught you to do.

Have you studied Benin history to know if they had a calendar, metal smithing, and mathematics, which you called ''counting''?

Here was an empire that you've just read accounts about above, of their great accomplishments, and in all that you read, it did not occur to your thick skull that those people surely knew how to COUNT?

You people are nothing but a village.

The British glorified those that made it easy to be conquered.

Wasn't it 6hrs? It took 6hrs to totally bring the whole of the Bini so called empire under her imperial majesty

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 10:08pm On Oct 01, 2021
BKayy:

You people are nothing but a village.

The British glorified those that made it easy to be conquered.

Wasn't it 6hrs? It took 6hrs to totally bring the whole of the Bini so called empire under her imperial majesty

I'm no longer responding to your garbage.

You are a semi-literate high school dropout.

Go and study WAEC.

You are not even a secondary school graduate.

You are not qualified for this debate.

Kindly respect yourself and get lost.

1 Like

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 10:13pm On Oct 01, 2021
SarkinYarki:
Apart from.political sycophancy ,please name one thing you have ever created

12 Amazing African Inventions That Changed The World

1 Speech

The first words by humans were spoken by Africans.

''Using statistical methods to estimate the time required to achieve the current spread and diversity in modern languages today, Johanna Nichols — a linguist at the University of California, Berkeley — argues that vocal language must have arisen in our species at least 100,000 years ago. Using phonemic diversity, a more recent analysis offers directly linguistic support for a similar date. Estimates of this kind are independently supported by genetic, archaeological, palaeontological and much other evidence suggesting that language probably emerged somewhere in sub-Saharan Africa during the Middle Stone Age, roughly contemporaneous with the speciation of Homo sapiens.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_language

2 Writing

In 1999, Archaeology Magazine reported that the earliest Egyptian hieroglyphs date back to 3400 BCE which "...challenge the commonly held belief that early logographs, pictographic symbols representing a specific place, object, or quantity, first evolved into more complex phonetic symbols in Mesopotamia."

Who were these original Egyptians?

The Greek historian Herodotus.. described the Colchians of the Black Sea shores as "Egyptians by race" and pointed out they had "black skins and kinky hair."

Apollodorus, the Greek philosopher, described Egypt as "the country of the black-footed ones" and the Latin historian Ammianus Marcellinus said "the men of Egypt are mostly brown or black with a skinny desiccated look."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/specials/1624_story_of_africa/page88.shtml

In his book 'Egypt', British scholar Sir E.A. Wallis Budge says: "The prehistoric native of Egypt, both in the old and in the new Stone Ages, was African and there is every reason for saying that the earliest settlers came from the South." He further states: "There are many things in the manners and customs and religions of the historic Egyptians that suggests that the original home of their prehistoric ancestors was in a country in the neighborhood of Uganda and Punt [present day Somalia]."

''Greek historian Diodorus Siculus devoted an entire chapter of his world history, the Bibliotheke Historica, or Library of History (Book 3), to the Kushites ["Aithiopians"] of Meroe. Here he repeats the story of their great piety, their high favor with the gods, and adds the fascinating legend that they were.. the founders of Egyptian civilization, invented writing, and had given the Egyptians their religion and culture.''

(1st century B.C., Diodorus Siculus of Sicily, Greek historian and contemporary of Caesar Augustus, Universal History Book III. 2. 4-3. 3)

http://wysinger.homestead.com/blackegypt101.html

To summarise:

"Ancient Egypt was a Negro civilisation. The history of Black Africa will remain suspended in the air and cannot be written correctly until African historians connect it with the history of Egypt. The African historian who evades the problem of Egypt is neither modest nor objective nor unruffled. He is ignorant, cowardly and neurotic. The ancient Egyptians were Negroes. The moral fruit of their civilisation is to be counted among the assets of the Black world."

- Cheikh Anta Diop, The African Origin of Civilisation.

3 Medicine

''The earliest known surgery was performed in Egypt around 2750 BC.... The Ebers papyrus (1550 BC) is full of incantations and foul applications meant to turn away disease-causing demons, and also includes 877 prescriptions. It may also contain the earliest documented awareness of tumors..

Homer (800 BC) remarked in the Odyssey: "In Egypt, the men are more skilled in medicine than any of human kind" and "the Egyptians were skilled in medicine more than any other art". The Greek historian Herodotus visited Egypt around 440 BC and wrote extensively of his observations of their medicinal practices. Pliny the Elder also wrote favourably of them in historical review. Hippocrates (the 'father of medicine'), Herophilos, Erasistratus and later Galen studied at the temple of Amenhotep, and acknowledged the contribution of ancient Egyptian medicine to Greek medicine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_medicine

4 Architecture

The African empire of Egypt developed a vast array of diverse structures and great architectural monuments along the Nile, among the largest and most famous of which are the Great Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx of Giza

The pyramids, which were built in the Fourth Dynasty, testify to the power of the pharaonic religion and state. They were built to serve both as grave sites and also as a way to make their names last forever. The size and simple design show the high skill level of Egyptian design and engineering on a large scale. The Great Pyramid of Giza, which was probably completed c. 2580 BC, is the oldest and largest of the pyramids, and is the only surviving monument of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. The pyramid of Khafre is believed to have been completed around 2532 BC, at the end of Khafre's reign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_architecture

5 Mathematics

The invention of mathematics is placed firmly in African PRE-HISTORY.

''The oldest known possibly mathematical object is the Lebombo bone, discovered in the Lebombo mountains of Swaziland and dated to approximately 35,000 BC. It consists of 29 distinct notches cut into a baboon's fibula. Also prehistoric artifacts discovered in Africa and France, dated between 35,000 and 20,000 years old [respectively], suggest early attempts to quantify time.

The Ishango bone, found near the headwaters of the Nile river (northeastern Congo), may be as much as 20,000 years old and consists of a series of tally marks carved in three columns running the length of the bone. Common interpretations are that the Ishango bone shows either the earliest known demonstration of sequences of prime numbers or a six month lunar calendar.

Also, Predynastic Egyptians of the 5th millennium BC pictorially represented geometric designs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mathematics#Prehistoric_mathematics

''Numeral systems have been many and diverse, with the first known written numerals created by Egyptians in Middle Kingdom texts such as the Rhind Mathematical Papyrus.

The earliest uses of mathematics were in trading, land measurement, painting and weaving patterns and the recording of time. More complex mathematics did not appear until around 3000 BC, when the Egyptians and Babylonians began using arithmetic, algebra and geometry for taxation and other financial calculations, for building and construction, and for astronomy''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics

6 Mining of minerals

The oldest known mine on archaeological record is the "Lion Cave" in Swaziland, which radiocarbon dating shows to be about 43,000 years old. Much later on, the Africans of Egypt mined malachite....Quarries for turquoise and copper were also found at "Wadi Hamamat, Tura, Aswan and various other Nubian sites"..The gold mines of Nubia were among the largest and most extensive in the world, and are described by the Greek author Diodorus Siculus. He mentions that fire-setting was one method used to break down the hard rock holding the gold. One of the complexes is shown in one of earliest known maps. They crushed the ore and ground it to a fine powder before washing the powder for the gold dust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining#Prehistoric_mining

7 Iron Smelting

Iron smelting is a form of extractive metallurgy; its main use is to produce a metal from its ore. This includes production of silver, iron, copper and other base metals from their ores. Smelting uses heat and a chemical reducing agent to decompose the ore, driving off other elements as gasses or slag and leaving just the metal behind.

Early iron smelting:

''Where and how iron smelting was discovered is widely debated, and remains uncertain due to the significant lack of production finds.. [but] there is a further possibility of iron smelting and working in West Africa by 1200 BC. In addition, very early instances of carbon steel were found to be in production around 2000 years before the present in northwest Tanzania, based on complex preheating principles. These discoveries are significant for the history of metallurgy.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelting

8 Religion

Greek historian Diodorus Siculus. From his own statements we learn that he traveled in Egypt around 60 BC. His travels in Egypt probably took him as far south as the first Cataract. He wrote about the black races of inner Africa whom he called ''Ethiopians'', dwelling south of Egypt.

"They further write that it was among them that people were first taught to honor the gods and offer sacrifices and arrange processions and festivals and perform other things by which people honor the divine. For this reason their piety is famous among all men, and the sacrifices among the Ethiopians are believed to be particularly pleasing to the divinity."

9 Laws

Stephanus of Byzantium, who is said to represent the opinions of the most ancient Greeks, says:

"Ethiopia was the first established country on the earth, and the Ethiopians were the first who introduced the worship of the Gods and who established laws."

Quoted by John D. Baldwin, Prehistoric Nations, p. 62.

10 International Trade

In 1825, Arnold Hermann Heeren (1760-1842), Professor of History and Politics in the University of Gottengen and one of the ablest of the early exponents of the economic interpretation of history, published, in the fourth and revised edition of his great work Ideen Uber Die Politik, Den Verkehr Und Den Handel Der Vornehmsten Volker Der Alten Weld, a lengthy essay on the history, culture, and commerce of the ancient Ethiopians, which had profound influence on contemporary writers in the conclusion that it was among these ancient Black people of Africa and Asia that international trade was first developed.

He wrote that as a by-product of these international contacts there was an exchange of ideas and cultural practices that laid the foundations of the earliest civilizations of the ancient world. Heeren in his researches says:

"From the remotest times to the present, the Ethiopians (ancient name for blacks south of the Sahara) have been one of the most celebrated, and yet the most mysterious of nations. In the earliest traditions of nearly all the..civilized nations of antiquity, the name of this distant people is found.

..The annals of the Egyptian priests are full of them, and the nations of inner Asia, on the Euphrates and Tigris, have interwoven the fictions of the Ethiopians with their traditions of the wars and conquests of their heroes; and, at a period equally remote, they glimmer in Greek mythology. When the Greeks scarcely knew Italy and Sicily by name, the Ethiopians were celebrated in the verses of their poets, and when the faint gleam of tradition and fable gives way to the clear light of history, the lustre of the Ethiopians is not diminished. They still continue to be the objects of curiosity and admiration, and the pen of clear-sighted, cautious historians places them in the highest rank of knowledge and civilization."

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3025163?seq=2#metadata_info_tab_contents

11 Philosophy

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy#Ancient_philosophy

Philosophy in Africa has a rich and varied history, dating from pre-dynastic Egypt, continuing through the birth of Christianity and Islam. Arguably central to the ancients was the conception of "ma'at", which roughly translated refers to "justice", "truth", or simply "that which is right". One of the earliest works of political philosophy was the Maxims of Ptah-Hotep, which were taught to Egyptian schoolboys for centuries...Ancient Egyptian philosophers made extremely important contributions to Hellenistic philosophy, Christian philosophy, and Islamic philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_philosophy

''Ancient Egyptian philosophy has been credited by the ancient Greeks as being the beginning of philosophy''.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_philosophy

12 Art

The oldest art objects in the world—a series of tiny, drilled snail shells about 75,000 years old—were discovered in a South African cave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art

5 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by BKayy: 10:14pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

I'm no longer responding to your garbage.

You are a semi-literate high school dropout.

Go and study WAEC.

You are not even a secondary school graduate.

You are not qualified for this debate.

Kindly respect yourself and get lost.
The truth is bitter my friend.
Very Bitter.

4 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Jameszinchenkov: 10:18pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

How can a people who exchanged ambassadors with Portugal as early as the 1490s, engaged in international trade, built cities according to fractal design, and built the world's largest man-made structure, not know how to count?

I'm done with you. Just get lost from here.

You are so Fucking daft, Azin your Surname suppose be daftness or mumu.
You did not even get to contextualize what the guy was trying to explain.
You are here calling him an ignorant person while it is you that is boorish, Ill humored and insensitive
Bastard

5 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by illicit(m): 10:18pm On Oct 01, 2021
Blackdeewhy:
Lots of things are wrong with our history. Part of it is spellings of name. Yoruba alphabet does not have sh Rather S

It does
Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 10:46pm On Oct 01, 2021
Jameszinchenkov:

You are so Fucking daft, Azin your Surname suppose be daftness or mumu.
You did not even get to contextualize what the guy was trying to explain.
You are here calling him an ignorant person while it is you that is boorish, Ill humored and insensitive
Bastard

Another angry, ignorant thug from the East. Not interested. Bye.

This thread is for enlightened people, and those keen to learn their precolonial history.
Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Solofresh2: 10:48pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

You see, until you NIGERIANS are mentally decolonised and RECONNECTED WITH YOUR HISTORY, and remember who you really are, rather than who the colonialists told you you were, you will continue to wallow in ignorance, self hate, pessimism, racial inferiority complex, and moral debasement.
That guy must be a standard illiterate.
Do the whites wear our native attires like,Ankara and so on?

2 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by dettolgel: 10:53pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

After calling others ignorant and misinformed, you then went ahead to put up two links from guardian news paper as evidence for all the so called facts. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 10:54pm On Oct 01, 2021
Solofresh2:
That guy must be a standard illiterate.
Do the whites wear our native attires like,Ankara and so on?

I guess he thinks the whites invaded us and saw us ''wearing leaves'', and out of pity, went back home to design, and sew ankara, iro and buba, obiagu, and danshiki for us to be wearing.

Our people are generally lost.

We need serious re-orientation as a people or we are going nowhere.
Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 10:57pm On Oct 01, 2021
dettolgel:

After calling others ignorant and misinformed, you then went ahead to put up two links from guardian news paper as evidence for all the so called facts. grin grin

The UK Guardian newspaper, ie your former colonial 'master', is relating to you the truth about your history, which he hid from you before, after destroying your education system, and installing his own, which taught you you were with Tarzan in the jungle.

He's telling you the real truth now, so shut up, read, and learn.

1 Like

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by VEHINTOLAR: 11:28pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

Gibberish ! This is nothing but an attempt to glorify your Bini tribe and make them look bigger than they're actually ! Unfortunately for you, anyone can easily see through your hypocrisy here. Your trash,really,wasn't about showcasing the ingenuity of Africans as a race and why they're not inferior to the White but a failed attempt at glorifying your Bini tribe .

Benin was never the capital of southern Nigeria at any point in history and there is no documentary evidence to that effect. Do you think anybody will buy this nonsense from you ? You these Bini or whatever must really think that others don't know their histories, right ?

Now,let me burst your bubble ! Whatever civilization Bini people could lay claim to today actually came from the Yoruba people and that's traceable to Oranmiyan,a Prince from Ile Ife who became the first Oba of Benin.

So,Mr Teacher,don't teach us nonsense here,okay ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Jameszinchenkov: 11:44pm On Oct 01, 2021
Reflect7:

Another angry, ignorant thug from the East. Not interested. Bye.

This thread is for enlightened people, and those keen to learn their precolonial history.

You can’t give what you don’t have
You ain’t enlightened
Re: My Response To A Guy Who Said ''If Not For Whites We Would Be Wearing Leaves'' by Reflect7: 11:46pm On Oct 01, 2021
VEHINTOLAR:

Gibberish ! This is nothing but an attempt to glorify your Bini tribe and make them look bigger than they're actually ! Unfortunately for you, anyone can easily see through your hypocrisy here. Your trash,really,wasn't about showcasing the ingenuity of Africans as a race and why they're not inferior to the White but a failed attempt at glorifying your Bini tribe .

Benin was never the capital of southern Nigeria at any point in history and there is no documentary evidence to that effect. Do you think anybody will buy this nonsense from you ? You these Bini or whatever must really think that others don't know their histories, right ?

Now,let me burst your bubble ! Whatever civilization Bini people could lay claim to today actually came from the Yoruba people and that's traceable to Oranmiyan,a Prince from Ile Ife who became the first Oba of Benin.

So,Mr Teacher,don't teach us nonsense here,okay ?

I've so had it up to here with this primitive mentality you people display here.

I am not from Benin for starters.

You have assumed I am from there simply because I am writing about its history.

I mean, your mentality is so low and wretched.

YES, THERE ARE, AND WILL ALWAYS BE 'detribalised' Nigerians like myself who have no problem with writing glowingly about other ethnic groups and regions apart from our own.

We are not all selfish, disgusting ethnic bigots and chauvinists.

I wrote earlier that Benin City was ''essentially'' the capital of southern Nigeria.

Not 'officially', but 'essentially', meaning 'for all intents and purposes'.

And it is not even closely debatable, as Benin City was the biggest and most famous city by an absolute mile in the entire region.

Like I said. This thread is for enlightened people and those willing to learn their precolonial history as Nigerians/Africans.

It is not for ethnic bigots.

If you are here for superiority contests of Igbo versus Edo versus Yoruba etc, kindly get lost.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reason For Sudden Attacks On Peter Obi - PMB / Hanging Of Atiku's Poster In Front Of Emir Of Daura's Palace (pic) / Open War: APGA Versus Labour Party Voters In Anambra State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.