Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,650 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

A Country Of Cheap University Education - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Country Of Cheap University Education (1224 Views)

Tribunal Admits Tinubu’s Chicago University Education Record, US Visa As Exhibit / El-rufai: Cameroon Shut Down Its Refinery Because Of Cheap Fuel From Nigeria / Nigeria: Country Of Backward North, Developing South – El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Country Of Cheap University Education by Oyindamolah: 1:30pm On Oct 03, 2021
NIGERIA: A COUNTRY OF CHEAP TERTIARY EDUCATION

I was surprised when my claim that Nigeria offers one of the cheapest tertiary education in the world was met with disdain. What worried me most was the fact that the disdain came from people who enjoyed and still enjoying the highly subsidized tertiary education.

Some people who agreed were quick to label the Education substandard just to ridicule the country. No matter what we feel about the country, the fact that we all enjoyed cheap tertiary education can not be controverted. The fact speaks for itself.

I gained admission to the then Ondo State University, Ado Ekiti in 1996/97 session. My tuition fee was N5,150. It was one of the most expensive in the country then. I paid N4,850, N4,350 and N3,850 in second, third and final year respectively.

I paid a total of N18,200 in 4 years for a University degree.

At that time, my counterparts in Obafemi Awolowo University were paying N500 as tuition. You heard me right, five hundred naira. This token gave them access to the university health care as well as the library. N90 (Ninety Naira) was their hostel fees for a session. My mates got a University degree from OAU Ife with less than N4,000 . It may interest you to know that medical students in the school paid the same ridiculous amount .

This is not a story of Lord Lugard Era. A Youth Corper allowee at that time was N3,750. Which means, a corper can sponsor someone in the University without blinking an eyelid .

By the time I started my youth service in 2002, a youth corper allowee has been increased to N7,500. This means that my 3 months corper allowee was by far higher than what I paid in 4 years as school fees in a state university.

We are quick to compare Nigeria with the US, Canada, UK and other "saner climes". Someone even said Nigeria does not have students loan. The loan system was instituted in these countries because an average citizen can not afford tertiary education. It may interest you to know that Obama was already the President before he finished paying his student loan. I don't think any bank will give you a loan to pay the ridiculous amount we pay as fees in Nigerian Universities. Till date the average tuition in public universities in Nigeria is N50,000.

Nigeria, arguably, has the highest number of University graduates per square kilometre in the world . Thanks to the highly subsidized education we all enjoyed.

In saner climes, no middle income earner can sponsor a child in the University without resorting to loans that will take the student years to clear. You need as high as $80,000 to study medicine and $60,000 to study law. This did not include hostel accommodation. You will pay as high as $14,000 per session for hostel accommodation. I am using Canada as a case study. Note that education is cheaper in Canada than US . A middle income earner in Nigeria will sponsor a child in a public university without any problem. Infact, a youth corper can afford to send his sibling to a university and afford the fees.

As per the quality, UK has poached 7,000 Nurses from Nigeria within the last 12 months. Saudi Arabia, Canada and UK are scrambling to poach all our Doctors that were trained cheaply by our Government. I don't think these countries will come to pack our "low quality" graduates to fill their " high quality" health institutions.

We believe it is low quality because we got it cheaply. Skilled workers trained by our universities are currently running the show in Canada, UK and US.

I was present in a forum where Mr Babalola, a leading immigration lawyer in Toronto, was delivering a paper. The first thing he did was to thank Nigeria for the cheap education given to him. Babalola studied law at the University of Ibadan. He knew he would have paid through his nose to get a Law degree in Canada.

I deliberately posted this tertiary education claim on our independence day because some people said there is nothing to celebrate in Nigeria. If an ungrateful person gets to Paradise, he will find nothing to celebrate there. It is simply a matter of perspective. You don't value what you have until you lose it.

No country is completely good or completely bad. It depends on what you want to see. I have met Canadians who did not see anything good in their country. Someone said good people will always see the good in people. In the same vein, I believe good citizens will always see the good in their country.

Adeola Daramola
October 02, 2021

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by OmovuduTheBeast(f): 1:45pm On Oct 03, 2021
Another cheap paid agent on the loose
How much were you paid for this post?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by jumper524(m): 2:22pm On Oct 03, 2021
OmovuduTheBeast:
do you enjoy raining insults and suffering or you prefer to analyze the problems and look for solutions.
Everywhere in the world, the cheaper things are, the lower the value. Even in Nigeria, compare public schools to unity schools and you'll see the difference.
How on earth do you explain your 50k school fees giving you high quality education plus access to school facilities and steady light in uni environment being able to run the university as well as pay lecturers well?
Typical Nigerian just want to offer less and demand extensively. Go and ask how it's done in saner climes where they have to pay about 30 to 45% of their earnings as tax and still have to pay multiple insurance companies to get a stable life before going on to use the rest for personal use.
Uma dey do am for Naija here? How often do you pay tax? I'm sure even your family members with cars have expired drivers license yet you enjoy massive subsidies on fuel and education and you have the guts to open your gutter to call someone educating you paid.
Gerrout jare.

8 Likes

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by OmovuduTheBeast(f): 2:38pm On Oct 03, 2021
jumper524:
do you enjoy raining insults and suffering or you prefer to analyze the problems and look for solutions.
Everywhere in the world, the cheaper things are, the lower the value. Even in Nigeria, compare public schools to unity schools and you'll see the difference.
How on earth do you explain your 50k school fees giving you high quality education plus access to school facilities and steady light in uni environment being able to run the university as well as pay lecturers well?
Typical Nigerian just want to offer less and demand extensively. Go and ask how it's done in saner climes where they have to pay about 30 to 45% of their earnings as tax and still have to pay multiple insurance companies to get a stable life before going on to use the rest for personal use.
Uma dey do am for Naija here? How often do you pay tax? I'm sure even your family members with cars have expired drivers license yet you enjoy massive subsidies on fuel and education and you have the guts to open your gutter to call someone educating you paid.
Gerrout jare.

WHO IS THIS HUNGRY FRUSTRATED CHILD RANTING LIKE A MAD DOG

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Zandena(f): 2:45pm On Oct 03, 2021
You have said it all. IPOB pigs would lose sleep tonight because it exposes their lies and campaigns of columny against Nigeria.
Let them ask El-Rufai and nuhu Ribadu and even Adamu Muazu (former governor of Bauchi state) how they were suffocated in US on exile during Yar'adua era which lasted for just 2-3 years!
Nigeria always!
Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 03, 2021
It is true, and it is one of the reasons why our universities are badly equipped...the money raised from fees aren't enough to pay for improvements.

But tell Nigerians that, and they will accuse you of 'wanting them to suffer'. I think the problem with Nigeria is we want what Canada , the US, and the UK have without paying the amount of money that those countries pay for their good education.

And let's be honest. Getting a degree in Nigeria means improving your income level quick quick. (I know a guy who went to university from a poor home. Graduated, got a good job, and now has a family...plus he owns his own house. If he did not go to university...). To tell a poor Nigerian that he or she would have to pay higher...when things are hard...is like telling someone who is burdened to carry more burdens.

I am not a Buhari supporter, or a GEJ supporter, or any supporter of our polticians. But the thing is, if we want high quality education, we have to remove the subsides on education and pay well for it. And if we want high quality jobs, we have to remove subsides on power, and petroleum to get increased investments , and more jobs.

But no, we want cheap cheap.

4 Likes

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Oyindamolah: 6:57pm On Oct 03, 2021
undecided
OmovuduTheBeast:

1 Like

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Oyindamolah: 3:02am On Dec 05, 2021
wink wink wink wink
It is true, and it is one of the reasons why our universities are badly equipped...the money raised from fees aren't enough to pay for improvements.

But tell Nigerians that, and they will accuse you of 'wanting them to suffer'. I think the problem with Nigeria is we want what Canada , the US, and the UK have without paying the amount of money that those countries pay for their good education.

And let's be honest. Getting a degree in Nigeria means improving your income level quick quick. (I know a guy who went to university from a poor home. Graduated, got a good job, and now has a family...plus he owns his own house. If he did not go to university...). To tell a poor Nigerian that he or she would have to pay higher...when things are hard...is like telling someone who is burdened to carry more burdens.

I am not a Buhari supporter, or a GEJ supporter, or any supporter of our polticians. But the thing is, if we want high quality education, we have to remove the subsides on education and pay well for it. And if we want high quality jobs, we have to remove subsides on power, and petroleum to get increased investments , and more jobs.

But no, we want cheap cheap.
Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Nobody: 3:15am On Dec 05, 2021
OmovuduTheBeast:

WHO IS THIS HUNGRY FRUSTRATED CHILD RANTING LIKE A MAD DOG

You are the frustrated mad dog. The person you quoted is making a lot of sense. If the discussion is higher than your level of intellect, politely step aside and let people who are capable of higher level of reasoning contribute critically to this discussion.

5 Likes

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by JeffreyJunior: 4:41am On Dec 05, 2021
Yes it's true that tertiary education in Nigeria is one of the cheapest and I must commend the standards too judging by what I see every other place I've been to.

The main issue that should be discussed is the value of such degrees outside Nigeria. The quality of the said tertiary education in the eyes of people of other countries.

I've met with graduates of some universities in South Africa who can't come close to what a Nigerian graduate can do but their schools are more recognized than our Nigerian schools.

In HRConnect, a web that holds US federal employee profiles, only four Nigerian universities, UNN, Unilag, Unibadan and ABU Zaria are recognized. The rest don't exist as far as the web is concerned. So if you have a Nigerian degree certificate outside these four universities as a US federal employee, you are simply a high school diploma holder until you go back to school to start all over again whereas your mates with South African degrees certs are recognized and have higher chances of growth.

That our cost of education is low and that our standard of education is high won't change a thing until our leaders put the country in the big map.

As far as I'm concerned, the cost of tertiary education in Nigeria of today is commensurate with the country's present status in the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Nigeriadondie: 5:29am On Dec 05, 2021
Are you aware that in Nordic countries, tertiary education is free
Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by louqas: 5:30am On Dec 05, 2021
Oyindamolah:

I was surprised when my claim that Nigeria offers one of the cheapest tertiary education in the world was met with disdain. What worried me most was the fact that the disdain came from people who enjoyed and still enjoying the highly subsidized tertiary education.

Some people who agreed were quick to label the Education substandard just to ridicule the country. No matter what we feel about the country, the fact that we all enjoyed cheap tertiary education can not be controverted. The fact speaks for itself.

I gained admission to the then Ondo State University, Ado Ekiti in 1996/97 session. My tuition fee was N5,150. It was one of the most expensive in the country then. I paid N4,850, N4,350 and N3,850 in second, third and final year respectively.

At that time, my counterparts in Obafemi Awolowo University were paying N500 as tuition. You heard me right, five hundred naira. This token gave them access to the university health care as well as the library. N90 (Ninety Naira) was their hostel fees for a session. My mates got a University degree from OAU Ife with less than N4,000 . It may interest you to know that medical students in the school paid the same ridiculous amount .

This is not a story of Lord Lugard Era. A Youth Corper allowee at that time was N3,750. Which means, a corper can sponsor someone in the University without blinking an eyelid .

By the time I started my youth service in 2002, a youth corper allowee has been increased to N7,500. This means that my 3 months corper allowee was by far higher than what I paid in 4 years as school fees in a state university.

We are quick to compare Nigeria with the US, Canada, UK and other "saner climes". Someone even said Nigeria does not have students loan. The loan system was instituted in these countries because an average citizen can not afford tertiary education. It may interest you to know that Obama was already the President before he finished paying his student loan. I don't think any bank will give you a loan to pay the ridiculous amount we pay as fees in Nigerian Universities. Till date the average tuition in public universities in Nigeria is N50,000.

Nigeria, arguably, has the highest number of University graduates per square kilometre in the world . Thanks to the highly subsidized education we all enjoyed.

In saner climes, no middle income earner can sponsor a child in the University without resorting to loans that will take the student years to clear. You need as high as $80,000 to study medicine and $60,000 to study law. This did not include hostel accommodation. You will pay as high as $14,000 per session for hostel accommodation. I am using Canada as a case study. Note that education is cheaper in Canada than US . A middle income earner in Nigeria will sponsor a child in a public university without any problem. Infact, a youth corper can afford to send his sibling to a university and afford the fees.

As per the quality, UK has poached 7,000 Nurses from Nigeria within the last 12 months. Saudi Arabia, Canada and UK are scrambling to poach all our Doctors that were trained cheaply by our Government. I don't think these countries will come to pack our "low quality" graduates to fill their " high quality" health institutions.

We believe it is low quality because we got it cheaply. Skilled workers trained by our universities are currently running the show in Canada, UK and US.

I was present in a forum where Mr Babalola, a leading immigration lawyer in Toronto, was delivering a paper. The first thing he did was to thank Nigeria for the cheap education given to him. Babalola studied law at the University of Ibadan. He knew he would have paid through his nose to get a Law degree in Canada.

I deliberately posted this tertiary education claim on our independence day because some people said there is nothing to celebrate in Nigeria. If an ungrateful person gets to Paradise, he will find nothing to celebrate there. It is simply a matter of perspective. You don't value what you have until you lose it.

No country is completely good or completely bad. It depends on what you want to see. I have met Canadians who did not see anything good in their country. Someone said good people will always see the good in people. In the same vein, I believe good citizens will always see the good in their country.

Adeola Daramola
October 02, 2021

The most annoying are those ungrateful medical doctors that get our cheap subsidized medical education and then jump on the next plane to go practice medicine in countries where they couldnt afford to attend medical school. They endured the bad conditions in order to get cheap education and instead of giving back to the society that made them they instead run to countries that didnt give a damn about their education.....very ungrateful lot....FG should make laws that will make them work at least 10 years in Nigeria before they can go practice elasewhere

2 Likes

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Ovamboland(m): 8:10am On Dec 05, 2021
OmovuduTheBeast:

Common sense is scarce and far from you.
Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 05, 2021
jumper524:
Gerrout jare.
What is the national minimum wage in Nigeria?
Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 05, 2021
kingawothefirst:

You are the frustrated mad dog. The person you quoted is making a lot of sense. If the discussion is higher than your level of intellect, politely step aside and let people who are capable of higher level of reasoning contribute critically to this discussion.

Do you know in some European countries, education is totally free?

2 Likes

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Ovamboland(m): 8:48am On Dec 05, 2021
Oyindamolah:

Adeola Daramola
October 02, 2021

In reality that investment is paying off in the number of highly trained Nigerian professionals working at home and abroad. I'm sure up to 70-80% of Nigerians in diaspora used certificate obtained in Nigeria as building block or foundation to water degrees they got abroad that has made them the most successfully migrant group in the USA. The returns is in the value of remittance they send to their families not to the government but the advantage is in passing so much forex through the economy. Already this remittance rivals oil forex earnings.

What I see lacking is inadequate focus and strategy on the value of acquisition of knowledge to solve local problems.

For example we have a problem of local productivity challenge in real sector, in agriculture, manufacturing and mining. We need to incentivise studies in those areas, bring in foreign knowledge working side by side with local talents. We should be willing to bring back diaspora nigerians and pay them as we would foreign experts.

I have met PTDF graduates trained in foreign countries in specialized knowledge but were abandoned on return with no job or attachment to any company that needs the knowledge.

And the PTDF staff were more interested in the next batch of trainees that they would visit regularly to collect estacode, than worry about the fate of graduates.

We need a new strategy for our investment in education. Overall I think it's a positive that tertiary education is made available to broader section of Nigerians as it has helped to improve social mobility than any other investment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Ovamboland(m): 8:52am On Dec 05, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:

Do you know in some European countries, education is totally free?

Those countries will collect between 40-50% of whatever you earn. Should we try it in Nigeria?

And don't be deceived only certain courses are tuition free, not all courses
Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Validated: 9:16am On Dec 05, 2021
Oyindamolah:

Adeola Daramola
October 02, 2021

Oga, Canada DOES NOT recognise Nigeria trained doctors. For a Nigerian trained doctor to practise, s/he must go back to class. I do not know much about nurses.

2 Likes

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by poiZon: 9:22am On Dec 05, 2021
Oyindamolah:

Adeola Daramola
October 02, 2021
You enjoyed this cheap tuition back then, now you r blackmailing citizens for still complaining about the cheap tuition?
During ur days, the tuition wasn't even important, once you have your admission sorted out, you can go through school till ur finals without paying any kobo, cos they know before u r enlisted for service you have to clear yourself before u can proceed.
Its so appalling when i see people complain about things they benefiited from and try to cajole the govt to fix the standard they once enjoyed.
For your info, Nigerian tertiary institutions isnt cheap, if u compare our per capita income to what we pay as tuition with canada, US and other first world countries then you will know we r being ripped too much by our administrators.

2 Likes

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Ovamboland(m): 10:49am On Dec 05, 2021
Validated:

Oga, Canada DOES NOT recognise Nigeria trained doctors. For a Nigerian trained doctor to practise, s/he must go back to class. I do not know much about nurses.

False, max you take qualifying exam of a year or two before you can practice.

Why are they not taking their own untrained citizens, give them 2 years qualifying training and turn them to doctors? If you think the 6 years of subsidized medical training you got here is trash.
Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Ovamboland(m): 10:56am On Dec 05, 2021
poiZon:

You enjoyed this cheap tuition back then, now you r blackmailing citizens for still complaining about the cheap tuition?
During ur days, the tuition wasn't even important, once you have your admission sorted out, you can go through school till ur finals without paying any kobo, cos they know before u r enlisted for service you have to clear yourself before u can proceed.
Its so appalling when i see people complain about things they benefiited from and try to cajole the govt to fix the standard they once enjoyed.
For your info, Nigerian tertiary institutions isnt cheap, if u compare our per capita income to what we pay as tuition with canada, US and other first world countries then you will know we r being ripped too much by our administrators.

In those times, about 120,000 people apply for the few available university slots, at the most 30-40% get admission. Now over 1.2m apply and up to 120,000 gain admission.

Has the number of universities increased by ten fold? And has govt income increased by 10 fold to expect govt to continue to shoulder the cost of subsidy?

What happens in 10 years when the cost of subsidy goes up another 5 or 10 times ? What happens?

Tertiary education in Nigeria isn't cheap? I want to belive youre only kidding
Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by poiZon: 12:54pm On Dec 05, 2021
Ovamboland:

In those times, about 120,000 people apply for the few available university slots, at the most 30-40% get admission. Now over 1.2m apply and up to 120,000 gain admission.

Has the number of universities increased by ten fold? And has govt income increased by 10 fold to expect govt to continue to shoulder the cost of subsidy?

What happens in 10 years when the cost of subsidy goes up another 5 or 10 times ? What happens?

Tertiary education in Nigeria isn't cheap? I want to belive youre only kidding
10 years ago the cost of building a faculty was cheaper than now, minimum wage was small, everything was damn small, we had smaller population back then, but the problem we had 10years ago was those who were enjoying then are the ones making us suffer now.
They never planned for today, now they want us to pay the price of their failure and foolishness.
US founding fathers knew there will be population explosion, they planned towards it, that's why u can't hear anyone in the US blaming the present for the failure of the past.
No one is complaining about the cost of education, cos everything has been made possible if you are willing to.
I wouldn't mind getting a loan to study pharmacy or nursing in US knowing fully well after my studies i will repay back cos there will be job waiting for me.
No bank in nigeria will offer a student loan even at the subsidized tuition cos they know education in Nigeria is probability venture.
Why should i pay for the failures of my fathers?
Just like today buhari is going on borrowing spree with nothing to show for and our children will now pay for what they never bargain for.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by christejames(m): 1:18pm On Dec 05, 2021
Well, to be fair to Nigerian govts most especially the Federal Government, the cost of education in this country is far one of the cheapest in the world, even tuition fees in Ghana at the other side is expensive to ours.

We just want better infrastructures in the precincts of our campuses, you might suggest jacking up the tuition fee but this is Nigeria that is financially and humanly blessed compared to some of those countries.
Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by bet9ja(m): 8:39pm On Dec 05, 2021
JeffreyJunior:
Yes it's true that tertiary education in Nigeria is one of the cheapest and I must commend the standards too judging by what I see every other place I've been to.

The main issue that should be discussed is the value of such degrees outside Nigeria. The quality of the said tertiary education in the eyes of people of other countries.

I've met with graduates of some universities in South Africa who can't come close to what a Nigerian graduate can do but their schools are more recognized than our Nigerian schools.

In HRConnect, a web that holds US federal employee profiles, only four Nigerian universities, UNN, Unilag, Unibadan and ABU Zaria are recognized. The rest don't exist as far as the web is concerned. So if you have a Nigerian degree certificate outside these four universities as a US federal employee, you are simply a high school diploma holder until you go back to school to start all over again whereas your mates with South African degrees certs are recognized and have higher chances of growth.

That our cost of education is low and that our standard of education is high won't change a thing until our leaders put the country in the big map.

As far as I'm concerned, the cost of tertiary education in Nigeria of today is commensurate with the country's present status in the world.

I disagree with the bolded sentence above. I studied at the University Of South Africa immediately i finished my N3 program at the Brooklyn City College, Pretoria. Hence i can tell you little about South Africa Universities and Educational system at large. As a matter of facts, I also wonder why UNISA didn't make it to the top 5 University in Africa due to my academic experience. HRConnect is not crazy for recognising only 4 Varsities in Nigeria. Have you wonder why we keep producing unproductive graduates, If i may assist, the failure is directly proportional to the outdated syllabus being taught by the Nigeria Universities.

For example, I major in computer science, UNISA stated with Introduction to C++ to Advance C++ where we use Qt to build application. Introduction to Python / Advance Python, ETC. I have been productive after my year 1 modules. In fact, based on my strong foundation in C++, i decided to learn C#/ ASP.NET MVC and Core Java /Spring Boot - Microservices - simultaneously.

Haven't completed my first year with UNISA, I could confidently drop out of UNISA just like Mack -Facebook Founder- did, and focus on building a career in Software Development. I pray my Nigeria University counterparts say the same.

However, I learnt PASCAL, FORTRAN and COBOL is the chosen SC programming Language in Nigeria Varsities, and these abnormalities are seen across all courses offered by our Universities.

That being said, the recent SEX for grades documentary by the Media is a major blow to the Nigeria Universities. Also, one should not shy away from the exploitation of students through hands-out by the Lecturers and Profs. Many Nigeria Universities are found guilty of this and the Occident find it weird and abnormal.

Let me stop here. I can go on and on and list you many reasons the Nigeria Universities should not be listed amongst her peers.

5 Likes

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Oyindamolah: 7:10am On Dec 12, 2021
undecided
poiZon:

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by flokii: 7:24am On Dec 12, 2021
@OP You do realize tertiary education in Nigeria at a point in time was literally free right? all those politicians coming up with cheap tertiary education stories today didn't pay a kobo to study in Nigeria unis, they even had canteens where they ate free foods when things were still working and corruption wasn't this bad.

Even the so called founders of private universities today studied free-of-charge in federal tertiary institutions in Nigeria.. the same institutions they are trying to kill so they can get more patronage for those who can "afford" education.

Most sectors in Nigeria have been subsidized because of the standard of living of Nigerians and the purchasing power of most households, so saying education should be expensive bla bla bla is a dishonest narrative from politicians to further keep the masses poor, uneducated and uninformed so that they (politicians) won't be challenged on their bad governance. I don't buy into it.

1 Like

Re: A Country Of Cheap University Education by Oyindamolah: 7:52am On Dec 12, 2021
flokii:
@OP You do realize tertiary education in Nigeria at a point in time was literally free right? all those politicians coming up with cheap tertiary education stories today didn't pay a kobo to study in Nigeria unis, they even had canteens where they ate free foods when things were still working and corruption wasn't this bad.

Even the so called founders of private universities today studied free-of-charge in federal tertiary institutions in Nigeria.. the same institutions they are trying to kill so they can get more patronage for those who can "afford" education.

Most sectors in Nigeria have been subsidized because of the standard of living of Nigerians and the purchasing power of most households, so saying education should be expensive bla bla bla is a dishonest narrative from politicians to further keep the masses poor, uneducated and uninformed so that they (politicians) won't be challenged on their bad governance. I don't buy into it.
Education is cheap in Nigeria hence the reason for most Nigerians going to Ghana and Benin republic for university education.

(1) (Reply)

APC: The Dangerous Coronation Of Abdullahi Adamu By Emmanuel Aziken / Fashola Vs Peter Obi; Who Would Make A Better President? / Tinubu Is Not Fit To Rule- Dr. Onu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 202
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.