Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today (1471 Views)

The Moment Emirates Arrives Abuja International Airport New Terminal (video) / Latest Pictures Of Abuja International Airport - Shared By Dr. Joe Abah / Cows Storm Abuja International Airport, Cause Traffic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by balmofgilead: 3:18pm On Oct 03, 2021
My flight from the UK into Abuja was partially smooth seeing as it had rained and the flight was a bit shaky. Thanks to God we arrived safely, disembarked from the plane and entered into the newly renovated Abuja airport. I came in with my fiance who is cameroonian and he was already filled with praise for how beautiful the Abuja airport is. In my mind I was like lets not be hasty with our compliments. Is it not my beloved country Nigeria again?

We lined up at the border control and as expected begging ensued. The official who was clearing me held my passport, telling me that he was soon going home and that my fiance should come and release me o. I was weak. Forced bribery in daylight. We went further to baggage claim begging continued. We proceeded to final exit, and we were ready for more begging and we were not disappointed.

Meanwhile the redundancy of most Nigerian procedures was once again made manifest in the fact that we earlier filled what is called a passenger health declaration and screening form online only to be told again to fill it manually. Deep sigh. Also, the Nigerian policy of paying and re-taking another covid test 7 days into your stay, could not be more of an inconvenience to travellers, only to be topped with the mandate that the covid test must be paid for upon entry.

The Nigerian hospital we had booked the 7 day covid test told us that we could pay when we come to take the test at the hospital only for the airport health officials to insist that we pay before we were allowed to pass through. That's how at 5am we started calling family members to help us with payments using a Nigerian card. Thankfully the payment on the NITP website was relatively easy I must say.

Ok, I now said let me use the toilet in our beautiful airport and like i said earlier let us not compliment too fast. The two toilet cubicles in that section of the airport was not flushing and was messed up with the unimaginable. I shook my head. Going to wash my hands, water was also not coming through. Hand sanitizer, nowhere to be found and we want to kick Covid. I laugh in Chinese.

Are the elevators and escalators in this renovated airport working, you ask? What do you think? Na so so trolley we dey push up and down. The saying what is worth doing is worth doing well could not be more befitting for the renovation at the Abuja airport. The staff of FAAN should also be rehabilitated. No more begging naw!! Professionalism should be the watch word. Let's become serious, so that the world can take us seriously. Thank you.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by staga: 3:59pm On Oct 03, 2021
balmofgilead:
My flight from the UK into Abuja was partially smooth seeing as it had rained and the flight was a bit shaky. Thanks to God we arrived safely, disembarked from the plane and entered into the newly renovated Abuja airport. I came in with my fiance who is cameroonian and he was already filled with praise for how beautiful the Abuja airport is. In my mind I was like lets not be hasty with our compliments. Is it not my beloved country Nigeria again?

We lined up at the border control and as expected begging ensued. The official who was clearing me held my passport, telling me that he was soon going home and that my fiance should come and release me o. I was weak. Forced bribery in daylight. We went further to baggage claim begging continued. We proceeded to final exit, and we were ready for more begging and we were not disappointed.

Meanwhile the redundancy of most Nigerian procedures was once again made manifest in the fact that we earlier filled what is called a passenger health declaration and screening form online only to be told again to fill it manually. Deep sigh. Also, the Nigerian policy of paying and re-taking another covid test 7 days into your stay, could not be more of an inconvenience to travellers, only to be topped with the mandate that the covid test must be paid for upon entry.

The Nigerian hospital we had booked the 7 day covid test told us that we could pay when we come to take the test at the hospital only for the airport health officials to insist that we pay before we were allowed to pass through. That's how at 5am we started calling family members to help us with payments using a Nigerian card. Thankfully the payment on the NITP website was relatively easy I must say.

Ok, I now said let me use the toilet in our beautiful airport and like i said earlier let us not compliment too fast. The two toilet cubicles in that section of the airport was not flushing and was messed up with the unimaginable. I shook my head. Going to wash my hands, water was also not coming through. Hand sanitizer, nowhere to be found and we want to kick Covid. I laugh in Chinese.

Are the elevators and escalators in this renovated airport working, you ask? What do you think? Na so so trolley we dey push up and down. The saying what is worth doing is worth doing well could not be more befitting for the renovation at the Abuja airport. The staff of FAAN should also be rehabilitated. No more begging naw!! Professionalism should be the watch word. Let's become serious, so that the world can take us seriously. Thank you.

Madam, do not be so hard on Nigeria. Granted, the number of sanitizing points have diminished but they are still there.

I passed through London Heathrow recently and there was nothing like social distance anywhere. I was not even impressed with the standard of the toilets. Imagine brushing in the morning and hearing Asians and Caucasians grunting all around as they are pooing. Not fun as well.
I am sure you must have also heard of the glitch that occurred which did not allow for scanning of the boarding passes. I can tell you that the Blaise Diagne airport toilets are far better than LHR and ABV.

The only problem we have in ABV is the beggarly attitude of the screening staff, porters and attendants.
The immigration and DSS guys there are very professional. I have never been asked for money or for gifts at any point by them.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by Originalsly: 4:22pm On Oct 03, 2021
staga:

Madam, do not be so hard on Nigeria. Granted, the number of sanitizing points have diminished but they are still there.

I passed through London Heathrow recently and there was nothing like social distance anywhere. I was not even impressed with the standard of the toilets. Imagine brushing in the morning and hearing Asians and Caucasians grunting all around as they are pooing. Not fun as well.
I am sure you must have also heard of the glitch that occurred which did not allow for scanning of the boarding passes. I can tell you that the Blaise Diagne airport toilets are far better than LHR and ABV.

The only problem we have in ABV is the beggarly attitude of the screening staff, porters and attendants.
The immigration and DSS guys there are very professional. I have never been asked for money or for gifts at any point by them.

Why would you try to defend? ... plain and simple....just renovated and all these basic amenities not in place? How can two toilets be enough?... and no running water? Would you be able to brush in such an environment? It is this attitude of accepting and excusing mediocrity that cause us to not progress but we are quick to declare these facilities world class .... in line with international best practices.
Plain and simple ... it is disgraceful and should be a big embarrassment to any Nigerian... bigger for the one returning with a non national. We may not he able to change anything... but we should not embrace nor make excuses.

8 Likes

Re: My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by Cousin9999: 4:34pm On Oct 03, 2021
Hmmm

Re: My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by Tinyemeka(m): 4:40pm On Oct 03, 2021
staga:

Your points appear moot.
OP complained about non-flushing toilets and dry taps in our airport restrooms.

The glitch was temporary and has already been resolved.

Have the broken toilets at our airports been restored?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by staga: 9:54pm On Oct 03, 2021
Tinyemeka:

Your points appear moot.
OP complained about non-flushing toilets and dry taps in our airport restrooms.

The glitch was temporary and has already been resolved.

Have the broken toilets at our airports been restored?

Now listen. I don't want to stretch this talk. I travel a lot through ABV. That woman is exaggerating. There are definitely more than two toilets there. If two were not flushing, she could have used others. On my last foreign travel, one of the toilets in LHR Terminal 5 was not flushing.

I no wan talk too much. Many of you think the grass is very green abroad. Perish that thought. Even China that generates 1200 GIGAWATTS of electricity is currently having blackouts.
Re: My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by Cousin9999: 9:58pm On Oct 03, 2021
Film them begging, and put it online.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by Cousin9999: 10:03pm On Oct 03, 2021
staga:

Imagine brushing in the morning and hearing Asians and Caucasians grunting all around as they are pooing.

[img]https://c./EO7qqC1bu_IAAAAM/ayy-lmao.gif[/img]
Re: My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by oluayebenz: 5:54am On Oct 04, 2021
Only 2 toilets at Abuja Airport, thats definitely not true sad
Re: My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by Nonexisting1: 6:29am On Oct 04, 2021
Welcome back to the jungle. I hope you left your common sense at Heathrow airport before landing. The animal with common sense in a jungle is the only "animal" in the jungle.
Re: My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today by AlphaStyles(m): 12:51pm On Oct 23, 2021
this is nigeria lol

(1) (Reply)

Is Portugal A Good Country To Hustle? / What Are Your Regrets Since You Moved Abroad? / Is Tax Clearance Compulsory For Uk Visa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.