Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,238 members, 7,822,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted (17725 Views)

Final Results Of 2023 Governorship Elections So Far Across States / Osun Election: Nigerians Are Watching Closely – Saraki Tells INEC / I’ll Teach You How To Defeat Tinubu In Lagos, Saraki Tells Lagos PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by valentineuwakwe(m): 6:51am On Oct 05, 2021
Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, a former President of the Nigerian Senate, has told youths nursing the ambition to run in the 2023 presidential election to shelve the idea.

Saraki said it was already too late for such persons to stand any chance of winning an election in this country, adding that the system is too rigid.

The former Senate President said he would not even want any youth with a sound mind to contest for political offices at this point because they still possess some good values which would be corrupted before they win any election.

“You have to give up some good values that you have to be able to be competitive,” the former Kwara State Governor said at the weekend during an Independence lunch with diverse Nigerian youths in Abuja.

“It is too late to win election. I will be very honest with you. The System is too rigid against you. You are a young guy, you don’t have money or network where are you going to start from?

“I don’t even want you to [contest] because you still have some good values. I don’t want you to be corrupted because for you to win you have to give up some good values that you have to be able to be competitive.

“We don’t want that because it means your generation will be as bad as ours. Let’s keep you where you are for now for those who are not yet corrupted.

“Where I believe you can make a difference which no one can stop you is your a rights to vote. That’s the only role you can play now in reality.

“We should be asking if that is guaranteed. That is what we have been advocating for in the electoral bill and it has worked.

“I think what needs to be done now is that we must participate. Let me explain further, on the day of election, if you look at the line of people that go out to vote… if the people coming out to vote are people we can give 100 naira, the election will not stand. This means we can manipulate. But if the 500 people lining up are people like you election will hold.

“If we say we won’t come out because nothing will change …if we take that attitude, then they will win. Look at all over the world where there is big change, people that made the change are people like you. If you are not registered to vote, nothing will change. It will be who we want to be Governor, Senator that will be.

“If you make up majority of the electorate even if they try to change the result, I know you will not agree because you know your right and the world will stand with you.

“I think the target now should be how to mobilize similar mind to hold their voters card and vote. If that is the kind of voters, then the result will hold. I promise, if those are not the kind of voters, then everyone will try to manipulate the result.

“Until those of you that matter take it upon yourself and ask what kind of Governor, president, Senator you want, nothing can change.

“When you get the right kind of Governor and he knows you have the power to vote him out, you will have the chance to come into government because you would have built a pact.
The point now is, politician don’t believe you can vote them out. If they believe you can vote them out, they will do the right things.

“Their own view is 9 months to election they will share the money and win election. If they know the vote is not about sharing money they will perform well.

“End SARS did not fail, it showed that the youth can participate and the best form of participation is through voting.

“I think the world is tired of the problem and dangers Nigeria could create. There are six million Nigerians that have the right to be in the UK.

“If Afghanistan was a problem then Nigeria is a bigger problem for the UK. Even for self interest, it is in the best interest for UK to work because of the exodus that will go into those places if it doesn’t.

“The world is with us but we must put in place good governance and the right kind of voters that can do that are people like yourself. Not those who want N5000. If the guy that wants N5000 is more than you, then Nigeria is not going to change and we won’t have the right kind of leaders.”
Source: https://dailypost.ng/2021/10/05/2023-this-is-not-time-for-you-to-win-election-dont-contest-saraki-tells-nigerian-youths/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by puremaker7(m): 6:54am On Oct 05, 2021
Youth should only be active in snatching of ballot boxes abi?
Lol, opposition has turned this one to a radio station.

Take it or leave it, Buhari is the worst president in the history of Nigeria

116 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by tamdun: 6:54am On Oct 05, 2021
valentineuwakwe:

The former Senate President said he would not even want any youth with a sound mind to contest for political offices at this point because they still possess some good values which would be corrupted before they win any election.

“You have to give up some good values that you have to be able to be competitive,” the former Kwara State Governor said at the weekend during an Independence lunch with diverse Nigerian youths in Abuja.

“It is too late to win election. I will be very honest with you. The System is too rigid against you. You are a young guy, you don’t have money or network where are you going to start from?
They think the youth are tools they can use at will, they just want the youth to cheer them up and vote for them every 4yrs, this one suddenly woke up from hibernation and he's telling the youth not to participate in politics because the system is too rigid, so where do you want the change to come from?
This mofo became a governor at the age of 41 and he's telling the youth nonsense

105 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by Pappyxar: 6:55am On Oct 05, 2021
He's actually saying the truth, lets be honest is any youth ready or credible to lead the country, even with the mess the country is old people sef no go wan chook head. Youths can take various positions to build a youth network and work towards 2027...

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by omowolewa: 6:57am On Oct 05, 2021
What is the definition of Youth in Nigeria?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by Lawlab249: 6:58am On Oct 05, 2021
Ok
Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by benuejosh: 7:01am On Oct 05, 2021
Oga, you're not making sense!

22 Likes

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by criminalmindz: 7:23am On Oct 05, 2021
Lies. This is not what he said
Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by tamdun: 7:29am On Oct 05, 2021
puremaker7:
Lol, opposition has turned this one to a radio station.

Take it or leave it, Buhari is the worst president in the history of Nigeria
Election is near

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by helinues: 7:30am On Oct 05, 2021
The likes of Yahaya Bello, Saraki are not really interested in the 2023 presidency but positioin themselves for may be VP position or relevancy in their party

5 Likes

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 05, 2021
He made very valid point... voting a credible candidate is equivalent to voting oneself.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by FalseProphet1(m): 7:36am On Oct 05, 2021
I see saraki becoming very active as 2023, I see the same youths screaming "o to ge" calling him baba wa, because of the failures of APC I see him coming back to the senate.

This I have seen.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by ainas247: 7:36am On Oct 05, 2021
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by ukwenjimmy: 7:37am On Oct 05, 2021
Wicked man. You don't want youth to contest so you can be in power forever abi.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by dynicks(m): 7:37am On Oct 05, 2021
grin
Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by snoopanddre(m): 7:37am On Oct 05, 2021
Corruption himself dishing out advice. This nation is full of falsehood and fake people. None to trust again.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by IKBARUTEN11(m): 7:37am On Oct 05, 2021
Dumbest thing I have heard after FB crash

Corruption is now old-man game in Nigeria

Saraki disappointed me on this���

8 Likes

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by ATEAMS: 7:37am On Oct 05, 2021
Mmmmm
Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by excomarow(m): 7:37am On Oct 05, 2021
Thunder Fire You There... sad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by sofiscatedmoron: 7:37am On Oct 05, 2021
grin
Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by specialmati(m): 7:37am On Oct 05, 2021
cool cool cool naso I just want this country divided the men we have at the corridor of power are just against the masses
Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by Crossroad1(m): 7:38am On Oct 05, 2021
Still useless to me
Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by dapsoneh: 7:38am On Oct 05, 2021
Oloshi! Can you imagine!
So that useless people like you can continue to sabotage our future
So, why did you pass the 'youth can contest bill' while you were Senate President?
You then started taking your son on visitations from one place to the other thinking you can force him on Kwarans.
Thunder fire you and your generation

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by Commentor: 7:38am On Oct 05, 2021
Idiot.

1 Like

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by gaftsoil(m): 7:39am On Oct 05, 2021
Lol
Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by hamaworld(m): 7:39am On Oct 05, 2021
Werey

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by SirLakes: 7:39am On Oct 05, 2021
Politicians....all of them are useless and selfish grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by joey150(m): 7:40am On Oct 05, 2021
Don't be misled by the headline, read the whole thing.

He's probably correct. I don't think one good president or senator will come close to reversing the ills that have beleaguered Nigeria since our Colonial masters handed us our freedom a little over a half century ago.

The current extractive political structure we have must be infiltrated slowly but steadily with "better" candidates. As you must have inferred if you read the whole article, you can't WIN elections in present day Nigeria without distributing dollars and forming unholy alliances.

Young people both lack the money and political will to currently dislodge these demons in power. But at least, let's have a strong say in who gets elected to public offices.

Although, I would encourage younger people to contest for lower positions. Not because they may necessarily win, but because they'll better understand how the system works and participation is the first step to fixing it.

However, the easiest and most effective thing young people, and by extension every well meaning Nigerian, must do is show full participation in the Democratic process. They must be heavily involved in the election process. Once the people can significantly control who governs them, then they have won half the battle.

Also, if you really understand democracy, you know that progress doesn't start and end at the President's office. Pay attention to your local and state government elections too.

A lot of governors and local representatives are feeding fat off the people and are contributing nothing of value, but they get off easy because everybody focuses on the president - clearly, most people don't understand how democracy works.

TLDR; Vote and push for electoral reforms it's the most effective way out of our current mess.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Saraki Tells Youths Not To Contest For Elections So As Not To Be Corrupted by tmtech: 7:40am On Oct 05, 2021
These people are very funny...

You want to keep looting,ruining the futures of the youths .
These country needs a turn around ... Mehn, it is just too bad

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Policeman, Eight Shi'ites Killed In Kano Clash (Photos) / Omisore: My Focus Is Governor Oyetola’s Re-Election / If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.