Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,793 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? - Autos (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? (20124 Views)

Save Time, Money & Sweat Buying Or Selling Cars And Properties / How Selling Cars Helped Me Relocate Out Of Nigeria / Join The Fastest Growing Car Dealers Group On Whatsapp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 8:56am On Oct 06, 2021
TPound:
February 2019..
I sold a car to a man who claims to work at a military establishment. He bought a car worth 1.4m from me and paid 1m. Asked me to follow him to his work place so as to get the balance but being busy, I designated my boy to follow him.
Few hours later, my boy called and was hysterical. The man asked him to come down to check what was bring out smoke from underneath at which there was none.
Immediately he alighted, the man zoomed off with his phone in the car.
He had to use a passerby's phone to call me.
I went to pick him up and we went to the place where he claimed to be working but there was no such person working there.
I was pained as there was nothing to be used to track him. He left with all the documents and receipts...
Ever had such experience, please share as there are lessons to be learnt from such.
Hmmmm it is well o!
A church member shared a similar experience, in his own case one of his boys was with the supposed buyer who said he needed to test drive as they were going he told the boy that there was a strange sound from the car that he should alight & check, immediately the boy alighted he zoomed off.
His Boss was following in another car from behind he noticed that the criminal has zoomed off with his vehicle so he increased his speed in the process his (the Boss) car somasulted. That was how the criminal escaped with the vehicle without paying a dime.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Lawan112(m): 8:58am On Oct 06, 2021
pay cash before move! this how car business is
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by MorningStar233: 9:04am On Oct 06, 2021
Gandollaar:
See question? Ewu!

Why the insult?
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by felixawe(m): 9:04am On Oct 06, 2021
You loseguard, car business is very risky.
You don't trust anyone
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 9:08am On Oct 06, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Import your car yourself for stories like this. I cannot buy a car used for kidnapping or robbery and I will be arrested. This is the main reason I cannot buy car in Nigeria. No matter how expensive it is to import a used car, that the route I will always take.
Madam, importing it is not 100% entirely safe either what if the one u imported was a stolen one nko. If buying a car, imported, Nigerian used etc the best thing to do is simply doing your due diligence, like police report etc so that if yawa gas u are atleast covered.
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 9:10am On Oct 06, 2021
elmessiahs:
Cash for hand back for ground
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by felixawe(m): 9:11am On Oct 06, 2021
You dull, you don't allow customer to drive when he hasn't paid 100%. You no supposed put the car particulars wether photocopy or original in the vehicle.
You have no business following customers to his destination, car business is very risky.
Most customers even tho they are known to you, and you failed to give them the documents, they will go prepare a new ones & forget about you, it happened to my friend years ago.

Don't ever trust (allow) anyone drive your car, just too risky.
Consider all customers to be thieves, even tho na clergy don't trust them.

6 Likes

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by TPound(m): 9:13am On Oct 06, 2021
Nackzy:
OP, i think you can report it as a stolen car to the police flag the chassis No. Also i don't know your location but i will love to chat you up on WhatsApp i need a car by December or January, can i get more details from you thanks

You can do that
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by TPound(m): 9:14am On Oct 06, 2021
felixawe:
You dull, you don't allow customer to drive when he hasn't paid 100%. You no supposed put the car particulars wether photocopy or original in the vehicle.
You have no business following customers to his destination, car business is very risky.
Most customers even tho they are known to you, and you failed to give them the documents, they will go prepare a new ones & forget about you, it happened to my friend years ago.

Don't ever trust (allow) anyone drive your car, just too risky.
Consider all customers to be thieves, even tho na clergy don't trust them.

Thanks... Like we all know, knowledge is not limited. We learn everyday

2 Likes

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 9:35am On Oct 06, 2021
meekparagon:
My own happens last week, there was this particular dealer who posted his car here in nairaland for sale, so it happened that I have a buyer for the vehicle, I call him and we agreed that he would settle me from the 100k that he tops on the deal.

Not knowing that the owner of the vehicle gave him the vehicle to sale for 1.2m, this guy told me that the owner needs 1.6 +100k for sellers that's 1.7M.

I have to contact my buyer all the way from oyo to buy the vehicle.

After seeing the vehicle, he later paid 1.710m to the guy acc.

This guy gave the owner of the car 1m.
Claiming that his pastor brother that paid for the vehicle, since the owner is also a pastor. He accepted the money 1m.

This guy took 710k to his pocket.

Few hours later, he call me that my buyer has paid for the vehicle ooo that I s forward him my account number. Immediately I forward this guy my account details. This guy blocked all my contacts including in whatsapp where we negotiate every.

I was like going mad.

I have to call him with another number, this was asking me, (guy are you the one that sold the car, what was your efforts, you only help me in br buyer and nothing else. So please stop bothering me) I was shock seeing such write up from human being.

Please how can I track this guy, he just posted another vehicle for sale on his page.
If you can help me out. Contact me with 08170505328
Humanbeings wicked o!
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 06, 2021
Zico777:

Madam, importing it is not 100% entirely safe either what if the one u imported was a stolen one nko. If buying a car, imported, Nigerian used etc the best thing to do is simply doing your due diligence, like police report etc so that if yawa gas u are atleast covered.
There is a way to check the vehicle from abroad. They have a database that is almost accurate. You can see the history of the car.

Someone has replied me that buying from a reputable car dealer is also ok which I agree with. Yes, that can be ok. But trust me, importing yourself is the key.

Eviana and Khia, you are both coming to this Nigeria to work. I assure you both cos we will build this Nigeria you are interested in together. We will get both of you Nigerian passports. I am ready to do this and engage people to work on our behalf.

Nigeria will be great again. This I am so passionate about. I swear.

1 Like

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by femi4: 9:45am On Oct 06, 2021
TPound:
February 2019..
I sold a car to a man who claims to work at a military establishment. He bought a car worth 1.4m from me and paid 1m. Asked me to follow him to his work place so as to get the balance but being busy, I designated my boy to follow him.
Few hours later, my boy called and was hysterical. The man asked him to come down to check what was bring out smoke from underneath at which there was none.
I went to pick him up and we went to the place where he claimed to be working but there was no such person working there.
I was pained as there was nothing to be used to track him. He left with all the documents and receipts...
Ever had such experience, please share as there are lessons to be learnt from such.
Next time, tell him to come back when his money is complete.

In biz....Avoid being a desperate seller/buyer

6 Likes

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Dbarrzx: 9:50am On Oct 06, 2021
Come and beat me I dey my house...so for flat tyres and battery issues after a month, it was still due to "useless" car I sold?
bigcee:

You sold a useless car to an innocent man and you expect him not to complain. You need serious beating.

1 Like

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by elmessiahs(m): 9:54am On Oct 06, 2021
Zico777:

Why
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Awesome01(m): 9:57am On Oct 06, 2021
Almost every body in Nigeria is wicked, selfish and greedy.

From importer to Agents to dealers to buyers, everybody wants to cheat the other person.

Seller cheats both the owner and the buyer. Buyer cheats seller, Owner cheats buyer by selling bad vehicle with lies. The circle goes on and on. Law of the jungle, eat or be eaten. Na wa o..

Let us change this mindset of cheating, because if u gain from one, you'll lose on others. Where ur smartness stops is where someone else's begin.

10 Likes

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Kelvin30286063(m): 10:08am On Oct 06, 2021
adonainana:

Tokunbo means foreign used cars that have come from ashore, some can have a faulty engines some are accidented but later repaired. So far it has a car has not been used in Nigeria before it is a tokunbo car

It cant be his fault for selling bad cars or accidented cars
This is the silliest part of your comment. It can't be his fault for selling accidented car. Something they buy intentionally on auction websites because it's cheaper. grin they know anyone that buys it after it's been repaired won't know and they will keep having problems with the car but they don't care. As long as they make profit.

4 Likes

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 10:10am On Oct 06, 2021
Giltexo:
Such a person must have planned everything before he embarked on such act ..he can never use his true identity. Damn
B4 nko
Him go don rehearse well well!
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 10:11am On Oct 06, 2021
elmessiahs:

Why
No mind me jare na rehearse I bin dey rehearse o!
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 10:12am On Oct 06, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

There is a way to check the vehicle from abroad. They have a database that is almost accurate. You can see the history of the car.

Someone has replied me that buying from a reputable car dealer is also ok which I agree with. Yes, that can be ok. But trust me, importing yourself is the key.

Eviana and Khia, you are both coming to this Nigeria to work. I assure you both cos we will build this Nigeria you are interested in together. We will get both of you Nigerian passports. I am ready to do this and engage people to work on our behalf.

Nigeria will be great again. This I am so passionate about. I swear.
Good one!
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by elmessiahs(m): 10:15am On Oct 06, 2021
Zico777:

No mind me jare na rehearse I bin dey rehearse o!
Wetin you come dey rehearse kwanu, me won learn. Oya teach a brother
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by ozo13(m): 10:18am On Oct 06, 2021
Muzikluva:

VIN number is there for you to confirm if the car was accidented or not!!! Why are Nigerians like this?! Even the accidented cars are good after fixing them except if it was a front impact!
how can i use the VIN to check if its an accident car.thanks
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by sjx566: 10:40am On Oct 06, 2021
URGENTLY NEEDED!
2005-TOYOTA CAMRY
2005-TOYOTA COROLLA
BUDGET-N1,300,000
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by obakorex: 10:57am On Oct 06, 2021
meekparagon:
My own happens last week, there was this particular dealer who posted his car here in nairaland for sale, so it happened that I have a buyer for the vehicle, I call him and we agreed that he would settle me from the 100k that he tops on the deal.

Not knowing that the owner of the vehicle gave him the vehicle to sale for 1.2m, this guy told me that the owner needs 1.6 +100k for sellers that's 1.7M.

I have to contact my buyer all the way from oyo to buy the vehicle.

After seeing the vehicle, he later paid 1.710m to the guy acc.

This guy gave the owner of the car 1m.
Claiming that his pastor brother that paid for the vehicle, since the owner is also a pastor. He accepted the money 1m.

This guy took 710k to his pocket.

Few hours later, he call me that my buyer has paid for the vehicle ooo that I s forward him my account number. Immediately I forward this guy my account details. This guy blocked all my contacts including in whatsapp where we negotiate every.

I was like going mad.

I have to call him with another number, this was asking me, (guy are you the one that sold the car, what was your efforts, you only help me in br buyer and nothing else. So please stop bothering me) I was shock seeing such write up from human being.

Please how can I track this guy, he just posted another vehicle for sale on his page.
If you can help me out. Contact me with 08170505328

This is what I hate about dealing with someone, agreement should be agreement, he should have pay u ur own share, and continue doing business together, now u can't do business with such a person again.

I beg I need neat, clean, well okay korope, incase u see one .I stay in Ikorodu Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 10:59am On Oct 06, 2021
elmessiahs:

Wetin you come dey rehearse kwanu, me won learn. Oya teach a brother
Na how to cancel comments on NL o, unfortunately na your comment I come take learn grin
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 11:14am On Oct 06, 2021
skj1377:
Tell him to forget about the past And that you have another buyer. Let someone call him and pose as buyer. Tell him to pay 50% of your commission in advance. Once he pays block him at least you have recovered half .
Easier said than done
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 11:17am On Oct 06, 2021
Solatium:

What sort of questions is this,get someone to pretend as a buyer for the new car posted,arrange meeting and hold him
This suggestion is much more practical
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Stjims: 11:22am On Oct 06, 2021
TPound:
February 2019..
Be thankful to God. Cause you would've be in more trouble if your boy isn't back alive.
We all should learn from that.

3 Likes

Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 11:30am On Oct 06, 2021
adeowo84:
Hmm... people are out to defraud their fellow, i had an experience early this year, my cousin introduce me to a man from our hometown who have a Toyota Camry 04 tokunbo. We agreed to HP and I gave him 250k initial payment, and as at March this year have paid well over 1.5m( cos I run d car for Uber). One day this man called me and said he has a friend coming from abroad and will like to have a car to hire during his stay in Naija and does not want anyone to drive him. I sense foul play and send text to d man that if his friend can deposit 2 million in my account, I will release the car. That's d last I heard about the matter.
I love that!
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 11:34am On Oct 06, 2021
grin
Dbarrzx:
1. I sold a car to a car dealer and he needed to balance me 30k but he has less fund in his account. He came from Ilorin to meet me in Lagos. I pitied him and allowed him to go with the car and photocopies of the papers and I kept original. With the agreement that once he transfer the balance I will waybill the original papers to him. This guy did not send my balance and I decided to keep the papers too.
2. Sold another to a guy that came from PH. He sent someone to pick the car. When the car eventually got to him he was disturbing me. -You never told me this and that about the car. After two month he will still call and tell me that "he drove the car to church and the tyre went flat along the road and many other issues that will come along with normal car usage...." Guy, I got mad and told him not to call me again. It was a very tough period for me.
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Zico777(m): 11:39am On Oct 06, 2021
nams77:

Sense no go kee you my brother grin
No sense there
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by Nezzjnr: 11:42am On Oct 06, 2021
Corporate2020:
Car dealers or Yahoo boys?
Yahoo boys are into Car sales also??
Re: Car Dealers, What Is Your Worst Experience Selling Cars? by freemi(m): 11:46am On Oct 06, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

You can bid abroad for a clean vehicle esp in the US. Then, use a trusted person to pick it up and take it to a mechanic there to get it checked again, and buy parts inside the vehicle. Ship it to Nigeria yourself. This is how sellers do it, the only difference is that while you know the history of the car and get a clean one, they buy faulty vehicles at very cheap price, and then repair it there before shipping to Nigeria. If you have a good person there also, you can buy a car involved in accident that is very minor and repair it. But I always prefer clean vehicles. Then, go and get an agent to clear it at the port. That is it. Not too hard, but you need someone there. It is why traveling is good. Get visas of some of these countries and go do business. Such aren't businesses there cos you are buying vehicles and sending them home. For you, it is business, but its ordinary purchase allowed under visiting Visa there.

Goodluck!
thanks bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Keke Napep Spare Parts tricycle in nigeria / Toyota Highlander 2005 For Sale / Boeing 747 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.