Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,294 members, 7,815,510 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) (4126 Views)

MTN Subscribers Lament Service Outage, MTN Apologizes / Facebook Outage Likely Caused By Internal Mistake; outside hack less likely / See How This Katsina Man Charges His Phone Due To Power Outage. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by TMKsouth: 5:06pm On Oct 06, 2021
New African social media apps in the pipeline

South Africa’s new communications minister said this week’s outage of Facebook apps and services is a reminder the government can do more to support the development of local social-media platforms.

The creation of Naspers-backed messenger service Mxit (pronounced "mix it" ) was evidence local companies can produce successful technology with the right backing, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni said in a Q&A with reporters on Tuesday. Mxit had 7.4 million monthly active subscribers in 2013 (created in 2003), according to consultancy World Wide Worx, but collapsed two years later under competition from the likes of Facebook’s WhatsApp.

"South Africa needs to support young people and citizens to develop social media platforms that we use," said the minister. "We cannot be dependent on the West for our technological environment, we must drive this ourselves as a country."

Facebook services including WhatsApp and Instagram were down for about six hours on Monday, shutting out many of its 2.7 billion global users. The incident has led to worldwide introspection about the extent businesses and individuals rely on the $1 trillion company, - alongside fresh criticism that it has too much power.

South Africa is working with state-owned IT firm Sita about how government can support local social-network initiatives, Ntshavheni said. The Department of Science and Innovation is another institution that could help out, she said.

ps. Nairaland has not specifically been singled out as the competition, but u get the idea wink

1 Share

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by TMKsouth: 5:07pm On Oct 06, 2021
SA social networks have shown potential to be big players on the continent. At its height, Mxit had 7.4 million monthly active subscribers across the world until closing shop in 2015.

Other globally competitive apps from SA included 2go which had over 50 million users (with a fifth of that in Nigeria alone) but have since collapsed under stiff competition from Western startups.

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by sunshineV(f): 5:19pm On Oct 06, 2021
finally, nigerians girls will rest from alfa mails.

4 Likes

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Tokskob2008: 5:36pm On Oct 06, 2021
sunshineV:
finally, nigerians girls will rest from alfa mails.
So you think it's only in Nigeria we have Alfa males
Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by TMKsouth: 7:08pm On Oct 06, 2021

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Dalil8: 7:22pm On Oct 06, 2021
Never heard of them before.

How exactly is it gonna rival Facebook?

1 Like

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by TMKsouth: 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2021
Dalil8:

Mxit spin-offs like 2go played that role. Obviously Facebook is now more evolved.

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by illicit(m): 7:53pm On Oct 06, 2021
2go grin

1 Like

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Mastakija(m): 7:55pm On Oct 06, 2021
You guys will just keep doing apps upabdan without maintaining it
U started 2go, where is 2go now
Mxit where is mxit uh?
Mxit dat u claim then had over 7million subscribers
what later happened? the thing crashed after 2years or so
Look at Ayoba
Ayoba dat Mtn will just b disturbing someone with sms to download
ive never seen an app as useless as dat Ayoba

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Nobody: 8:03pm On Oct 06, 2021
Dalil8:

small pikin like u. Ebuddy, 2go, kobrawap, mjoy etc.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by TMKsouth: 8:10pm On Oct 06, 2021
Mastakija:
You guys will just keep doing apps upabdan without maintaining it
U started 2go, where is 2go now
Mxit where is mxit uh?
Mxit dat u claim then had over 7million subscribers
what later happened? the thing crashed after 2years or so
Look at Ayoba
Ayoba dat Mtn will just b disturbing someone with sms to download
ive never seen an app as useless as dat Ayoba

LOL grin, sorry bout that. I also don't know what Ayoba is all about - never tried it out before but I do get the pop-ups.

Mxit lasted for over a decade - not 2 years. It was created in 2003. The report was highlighting it's maximum count of users which was in 2013. As much as there was competition from Western apps, Mxit had also become increasingly notorious for sexual predation and paedophilia. That bogged it down.

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by CSTRR: 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2021
This guy is a very patriotic south African.

Unfortunately, your social apps can't fly.

You guys can't write two sentences without including Zulu or xhosa in between.

9 Likes

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by TMKsouth: 9:07pm On Oct 06, 2021
CSTRR:
This guy is a very patriotic south African.

Unfortunately, your social apps can't fly.

You guys can't write two sentences without including Zulu or xhosa in between.

Lol cheesy, you mean like the posts below? I've been on NL for 3 years despite the excessive use of pidgin. So you'll survive SA forums as well.

2 Likes

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by mytime24(f): 9:14pm On Oct 06, 2021
That logo look like MI logo frm xaomi

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Lamasta(m): 9:48pm On Oct 06, 2021
And you are using Nairaland to tell us

4 Likes

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by BigYash: 11:00pm On Oct 06, 2021
If only Seun will upgrade nairaland .. No ,nigga just relax ,allowing his mods to be scattering the forum. If them woo girl she no gree,them fit give am bann to end 2060.If you yab politician wen them like,you fit get bann from now till 4040..
The day Seun managed to change the font,he almost blind people eyes here..
C.E.O work on this site,try do some upgrade. m happy there are no hackers in Nigeria.. Cux e for no reach them put for sale cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by fuckingAyaya(m): 11:08pm On Oct 06, 2021
Seun now

1 Like

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by TMKsouth: 11:25pm On Oct 06, 2021
Lamasta:
And you are using Nairaland to tell us

Foretold is forearmed. Or would you rather not know undecided.

And u know SA companies like expanding into Africa. Unlike some NL users who tell me everyday to go back to "Randland". How will this forum ever grow?

1 Like

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by UndauntedYOCA(f): 11:38pm On Oct 06, 2021
That'd be nice! I hope it will be properly maintained and that it stands the test of time and not crash. Anticipating!
I never did 2go though.

1 Like

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Gadafii: 1:23am On Oct 07, 2021
Make them go rebrand their 2go for their country people cheesy
Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Gadafii: 1:26am On Oct 07, 2021
TMKsouth:

Foretold is forearmed. Or would you rather not know undecided.

And u know SA companies like expanding into Africa. Unlike some NL users who tell me everyday to go back to "Randland". How will this forum ever grow?
don't your country people tell nigerians living in South Africa to go back home, don't they chase nigerians down the streets and club them to death, don't they loot Nigerian shops in South Africa, don't your country people accuse Nigerians and other Africans of taking away the little jobs available
Very ungrateful lots, with what Nigeria had done for your country, una supposed dey pay homage to us, bringing sacrifices to say Thank you for giving us voice and choice when you fought the apartheid system.

Oga go back to randland if possible, mtcheeww

3 Likes

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by TMKsouth: 1:37am On Oct 07, 2021
Gadafii:
don't your country people tell nigerians living in South Africa to go back home, don't they chase nigerians down the streets and club them to death, don't they loot Nigerian shops in South Africa, don't your country people accuse Nigerians and other Africans of taking away the little jobs available
Very ungrateful lots, with what Nigeria had done for your country, una supposed dey pay homage to us, bringing sacrifices to say Thank you for giving us voice and choice when you fought the apartheid system.

Oga go back to randland if possible, mtcheeww

Victimhood. Ask yourself first why Nigerians have a terrible reputation in SA. Anyway, not going there today. Show me reports of Nigerian professionals or students "clubbed to death in SA". There are NONE. We actually invite and welcome people with critical skills - that's your reward for "what Nigeria had done for my country".

These others below are definitely not welcome (although I don't condone violence & speak against it), just as they wouldn't be tolerated in any other country around the world.

Same people using MTN and DSTV are telling me to go to Randland undecided

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Gadafii: 2:16am On Oct 07, 2021
TMKsouth:

Victimhood. Ask yourself first why Nigerians have a terrible reputation in SA. Anyway, not going there today. Show me reports of Nigerian professionals or students "clubbed to death in SA". There are NONE. We actually invite and welcome people with critical skills - that's your reward for "what Nigeria had done for my country".

These others below are definitely not welcome (although I don't condone violence & speak against it), just as they wouldn't be tolerated in any other country around the world.

Same people using MTN and DSTV are telling me to go to Randland undecided

chief, you guys have looting and arsonist Spirit in your DNA, you blame everyone else but ur selves, you guys have terrible reputation amongst your selves, you don't miss the slightest opportunity to loot and people's shops, why

We saw a nigga the other day loading his Benz with looted grocery during the protest, I guess he's a Nigerian too, right.

We know MTN is a fraudster, same for DStv cheesy

As for your information, you guys can never have a platform as big and diverse as nairaland, you can go revamp your 2go shiit, but nairaland is the biggest platform.

If Facebook and other social media shut down,and MTN or DStv decided to go, we got other platforms to latch on to. But what are you guys going to do, you will be bored to death without nairaland in ur lives

6 Likes

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Phiniter(m): 4:23am On Oct 07, 2021
It'll be difficult for any company to achieve what Nairaland have achieved so far...

MySpace came and went, Nairaland dey
2go came and went same thing,
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram came, Nairaland still dey...

anyway good luck creating your own Randland Abi Una go name am Randland.

3 Likes

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by themes009(m): 4:36am On Oct 07, 2021
This op is from SA, trying to advertise their crab as usual. But anyway thank you.. We prefer our dear nairaland
Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by elmessiahs(m): 6:10am On Oct 07, 2021
Nairaland for live
Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Raydos: 6:53am On Oct 07, 2021
Fine, If they're not gonna destroy everything again in another protest/looting

1 Like

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by chiefbuchiV12(m): 7:35am On Oct 07, 2021
Instead of starting new apps why not just reintroduce 2go and Mxit with more up to date functions and better interface

2 Likes

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by kilmot: 8:06am On Oct 07, 2021
cool

1 Like

Re: SA Working On Social Forums To Rival Nairaland, Following Facebook Outage (PIX) by Robisky001(m): 8:36am On Oct 07, 2021
Brb

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unable To Complete BBM Setup Android Smartphone / Help.. I Cant Open My New Tecno W3 / Tecno Spark K7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.