Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,909 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development (1712 Views)

Recommend Data Analysis Or Data Science Training Centre In Lagos / Data Analysis Or Data Science / Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by yerobiukini(m): 1:51pm On Oct 07, 2021
Thanks for coming in and your opinion is highly appreciated.

I am a freshman in the University of Ilorin currently studying Agriculture (economics minor) but along the line, I developed interest in techy jobs. After embarking on research, I am stuck choosing between Data Science (with specialty in machine and deep learning), Business intelligence analysis and software development.

I seek advice from expert in the house as to which one should I go for considering the following criteria:

- There is tendency I go into academics (I felt data science will enhance my research prowess)

- learning curve

- Future potential in terms of Job security, and financial gains

PS: You can also contribute base on criteria you deem important

Gracias
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by ahmthankgod(m): 2:04pm On Oct 07, 2021
yerobiukini:

I am a freshman in the University of Ilorin currently studying Agriculture (economics minor) but along the line, I developed interest in techy jobs. After embarking on research, I am stuck choosing between Data Science (with specialty in machine and deep learning), Business intelligence analysis and software development.

I seek advice from expert in the house as to which one should I go for considering the following criteria:

- There is tendency I go into academics (I felt data science will enhance my research prowess)

- learning curve

- Future potential in terms of Job security, and financial gain

Gracias
I chose software development because it is more in demand and i love coding and its function. But for you i recommend you learn both for atleast a week or twice to know which one you feel comfortable with.
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:56pm On Oct 07, 2021
Omho you are still a freshman. If your parents are still feeding you and money isnt a problem learn C++ and learn data structures and algorithms. Enter leetcode solve questions everyday. By the time you graduate, you will get a job that will be paying at least 70k USD remote or relocation. But if you are very poor and need money learn what everyone is learning.

7 Likes

Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by airsaylongcome: 3:00pm On Oct 07, 2021
What techy jobs did you say you developed interest in?
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by yerobiukini(m): 3:15pm On Oct 07, 2021
ahmthankgod:
I chose software development because it is more in demand and i love coding and its function. But for you i recommend you learn both for atleast a week or twice to know which one you feel comfortable with.
Thanks so much bro
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by yerobiukini(m): 3:16pm On Oct 07, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Omho you are still a freshman. If your parents are still feeding you and money isnt a problem learn C++ and learn data structures and algorithms. Enter leetcode solve questions everyday. By the time you graduate, you will get a job that will be paying at least 70k USD remote or relocation. But if you are very poor and need money learn what everyone is learning.
My parent nah ajeh pako
Kindly suggest wetin evrybodi dey learn

2 Likes

Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by yerobiukini(m): 3:19pm On Oct 07, 2021
airsaylongcome:
What techy jobs did you say you developed interest in?
They are listed in the topic
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:22pm On Oct 07, 2021
yerobiukini:

My parent nah ajeh pako
Kindly suggest wetin evrybodi dey learn
If your parents are struggling financially then learn web development HTML CSS JavaScript react, php WordPress and Shopify. You can start freelancing in school or get a part time remote job.

6 Likes

Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by airsaylongcome: 3:25pm On Oct 07, 2021
yerobiukini:

They are listed in the topic

So you suddenly developed interest in these? What's the back story? Why didn't you develop interest in say accounting? Or mechanical engineering? Or medicine? Or fashion design?
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by ahmthankgod(m): 3:28pm On Oct 07, 2021
yerobiukini:
Thanks so much bro
Anytime
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by kennethfranc(m): 4:29pm On Oct 07, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

If your parents are struggling financially then learn web development HTML CSS JavaScript react, php WordPress and Shopify. You can start freelancing in school or get a part time remote job.
Good day sir
I sent you a mail
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by Avast(m): 5:51pm On Oct 07, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Boss I hear people say learn C before C++, how true is this?
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:56pm On Oct 07, 2021
Avast:

Boss I hear people say learn C before C++, how true is this?
You guys all want to follow that path cause of big dollar. If your people no hold bar na you know o lipsrsealed
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by Avast(m): 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

You guys all want to follow that path cause of big dollar. If your people no hold bar na you know o lipsrsealed

It is not that boss.

I am working already and I have free access to electricity, data and I don't want to waste that opportunity.
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by airsaylongcome: 10:14pm On Oct 07, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Why do you think that? Some of us are only used to the disciplined programming that comes with strongly-typed languages like C++ and Java. As easy as PHP is I haven't ever been able to successfully learn it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by yerobiukini(m): 7:20pm On Oct 08, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Thanks so much I really appreciate your opinion
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by Sheriman(m): 8:20pm On Oct 08, 2021
Focus on one field you like and work your ass out on it to become good at it. My Advice!!

3 Likes

Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by Excel70: 4:15am On Oct 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Why Shopify and not Salesforce?
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:49am On Oct 09, 2021
Excel70:

Why Shopify and not Salesforce?
Salesforce requires money to get the certificates and his parents are poor. I got into Jamstack first to raise money for salesforce and not salesforce before others. It's condition. Salesforce cert price range from 200 to 6000 USD.

3 Likes

Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by airsaylongcome: 7:04am On Oct 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Salesforce requires money to get the certificates and his parents are poor. I got into Jamstack first to raise money for salesforce and not salesforce before others. It's condition. Salesforce cert price range from 200 to 6000 USD.

Tensa,
What's the entry pay range for this Salesforce?
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:55am On Oct 09, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Tensa,
What's the entry pay range for this Salesforce?
I have entry pay roles at like 4k USD. There are also remote six figure roles at faang companies. I met an architect on Reddit who gets paid 400k USD a year. I am just not serious on getting a job yet cause I really love my current workplace.

2 Likes

Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by airsaylongcome: 8:08am On Oct 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I have entry pay roles at like 4k USD. There are also remote six figure roles at faang companies. I met an architect on Reddit who gets paid 400k USD a year. I am just not serious on getting a job yet cause I really love my current workplace.

Architect would be a very experienced role. That 4k is it monthly? I've got a cousin I'm thinking of investing in her training to get her into one of these roles. She studied mathematics.
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:12am On Oct 09, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Architect would be a very experienced role. That 4k is it monthly? I've got a cousin I'm thinking of investing in her training to get her into one of these roles. She studied mathematics.
Yeah train her. I advice she goes for the developer path as developers are much more in demand. She would learn normal HTML CSS, JavaScript and java before she learns salesforce Development at its core. It's longer but much more rewarding.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 09, 2021
yerobiukini:

- learning curve

- Future potential in terms of Job security, and financial gains

PS: You can also contribute base on criteria you deem important

Gracias
Do not let anyone scatter your head. Focus on any language if you want to start. This is what I tell everyone. Just know the inside out of programming. You can switch to any later. The reason I am saying this is cos you dont know what you want to do.

If you really want to go data science route, dont go C++ route, go python. And you can still use it for other things too. Machine learning and deep learning also,...go python route. Then you can talk of R later. You may actually start with R, but there are less people doing it so when you start with that, you get hooked with no one to assist you.

The truth is that you know coding by yourself. There is nothing anyone can really do to teach you. It's an intuitive thing. You need to train yourself to think like a programmer. You can do web related stuff also with Python and then use other stuff. It really depends on you.

Just start. And if its C++ you decide, do it well. Whatever ever you do, give yourself like 1 year to be really good with it.

Coming to Nairaland and asking this question means you dont know what you want to do yet, and I know you will get more confused.

Since you dont know what to do yet, pick any language you can easily lay hands on. Python, Java, C++, C, any. But the easiest of all is python. Just learn the language well even you dont know what to use it to do. Make sure you know it well. Then after, you can think of moving to the next step. Else, you will get yourself confused more. But you lay emphasis more on Data Science. So, go for Python.

Goodluck!

3 Likes

Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by mentro: 4:08pm On Oct 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

How do you get these jobs?? Meanwhile I'm preparing for AWS, how can I position for entry level jobs??
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by MasterGramnet(m): 4:49pm On Oct 09, 2021
You are still a fresher, things might have change by the time you graduate, programming languages comes in season of reign, there was a time Web dev was on high demand, it went down, replaced by Software dev, then Mobile Apps dev, then Data Science(for these reason, people jumped into python programming) and is gradually going down, though you can create any of the mentioned with many different programming languages but the major problem is job's offer requirements(the language they want you to use).
For web dev, you can start with 1. html then 2. css and 3. js
For others, just choose a language, the most in demands are, c, c++, c#, java, python,etc.
I can help you to learn, you can check my signature for contact. But not for free.

1 Like

Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by Saverin: 8:29am On Nov 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah train her. I advice she goes for the developer path as developers are much more in demand. She would learn normal HTML CSS, JavaScript and java before she learns salesforce Development at its core. It's longer but much more rewarding.

I want to follow this path too. I have read most of your thread.

Can you point to resources on Salesforce development training?

I need guidance
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:39am On Nov 30, 2021
Saverin:

I want to follow this path too. I have read most of your thread.

Can you point to resources on Salesforce development training?

I need guidance
Trailhead is your resource. Google it.
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by Saverin: 9:40am On Nov 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Thank you. I appreciate
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by Saverin: 10:08am On Nov 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Pls what's the cost of doing certification in this ecosystem?
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by LikeAking: 10:26am On Nov 30, 2021
Ok!
Re: Help A Confused Soul: Data Science, BI Analysis Or Software Development by Raalsalghul: 11:03am On Nov 30, 2021
Avoid Data Science if you are still in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

I Just Deployed My First App / Jamb Website Is Very Bad / Visual Basic: Any Good Websites That Makes Visual Basics Easy To Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.