Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help (5605 Views)

Nigerian Student Hid Food Under Table To Eat While Lecture Was Ongoing / Governor Akeredolu Rehabilitates OAUSTECH Abandoned For 8 Years (Photos) / UTME: Candidate Who Hid Phone In Her Pant, Arrested (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Seeksnigeria: 4:10pm On Oct 09, 2021
Update from

Eight years ago, Daniel Ricky Oikhena stirred an uproar in Nigeria as a 13-year- old boy who hid in the tyre compartment of a Lagos bound airplane from Benin City, Edo state and was not discovered until the plane landed in Lagos.

He said he was motivated by adventure and his desire to lift his family from poverty, thinking the flight was going abroad.

Some legal practitioners then said in the eyes of the law the boy could not be charged or prosecuted because he was a juvenile and they described him as one that needed to be trained just like in other developed climes, Siggy learnt.

A lawyer, Olayiwola Afolabi said then that “First and foremost you cannot blame the boy because he is a juvenile, you cannot charge him to court because he was not caught with any arms, and the boy never meant any harm.

“To me, the boy is a genius, and needs to be trained.”

With the widespread publicity that the act attracted, state governments like those of Lagos and Osun volunteered to take over his upbringing but his state government, Edo quickly announced a scholarship for Daniel and rehabilitation of his mother who then had lost her salon shop to fire.

Eight years after, Daniel now 21 years old and a 100 level student of Business Administration, Department of Education of the state-owned Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma expressed mixed feelings when he said he was lacking proper care and that all the expectations from government had not been met although government was responsible for where he is today.

Talking about what motivation his action in 2013, he said ”What motivated me was because the situation my family was in then was very bad.

“Things were very tough for us and one thing about me is that I love exploring what is strange to me, I love adventure.

“I love moving around trying to know what is going on so I used to go to the airport everyday to watch the security.

“To watch the movement of the planes, how they land and how they take off, I studied everything before I did what I did.”

He said his thought was that the plane was going abroad and believed that he would achieve his dreams and also shared his experience while in the tyre compartment of the plane “The truth is that I thought the plane was going outside the country.

“I didn’t know it was Lagos but I just wanted to do something for my family.

“When the plane took off, I wasn’t afraid, I was not scared but the problem I had was the sound which was very much and it did a lot of damage to my ear that even now, I still feel some sounds.

“Everything was going as planned until I landed in Lagos and I was caught. I was in JSS 3. I just wanted to travel abroad and do something to help my family.”

He said “After that, I was brought back to Benin, it was the former governor, Comrade Adams Aliyu Oshiomhole who promised he would take care of all my needs, that the government would give me allowance, take care of my school fees, put me in scholarship and that I won’t have any problem, that he will also take care of my mum because during that time, my mum’s shop got burnt.

“He promised to take care of my mum and that everything will be okay for us.

“Other states were also concerned about me but because of the promise by my state government.

“I believe they backed out because states like Osun and Lagos indicated interest in me but I believe they stepped down because of the position of the Edo state government.

“I am very grateful for the scholarship the government gave to me but it is not enough. Things are still very hard for me and my family.

“I still need help in any way because things are still very difficult but I remain grateful for the scholarship I am now enjoying but things are still hard.”

On how he copes at school, Oikhena said “It is my mum that still tries to support me in her little way.

“I learnt a trade, I am a hair stylist so sometimes I help people do their hair in school and they will pay me.

“That is where I get little extra money for transport and other things but it is not just enough.

“I am appealing to anyone out there that can be of assistance to me, I need all assistance,” he said, revealing that the scholarship only takes care of his school fees.

“The school environment is fine but I don’t have money, sometimes to buy books. I would not have the money to do any other things in the faculty, there is no money.

“I need allowances to take care of myself, sometimes I wear one shirt four times in a week, things are very hard.

“Feeding is a challenge that I have to get a routine for eating; sometimes I eat once a day and sometimes no food.

“My mum is the one still taking care of us so I don’t want to overburden her with my own problems.”

https:///8-years-after-boy-who-hid-in-plane-engine-from-edo-to-lagos-cries-for-help/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Seeksnigeria: 4:11pm On Oct 09, 2021
embarassed cry

1 Like

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Davash222(m): 4:12pm On Oct 09, 2021
. The truth is that I thought the plane was going outside the country. “I didn’t know it was Lagos
cheesy cheesy

Imagine he slept off during the flight, then he woke up, thinking he's in New Jersey only to start hearing Owo mi da cheesy

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by CheerfulGiver: 4:23pm On Oct 09, 2021
Ehn look for another plane so that the present govt will use you chase clout again

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Totilopussylick(m): 4:41pm On Oct 09, 2021
Problem no de finish angry

3 Likes

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Magnoliaa(f): 4:49pm On Oct 09, 2021
Lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by muller101(m): 5:04pm On Oct 09, 2021
Slawormiir Dem their people grin

6 Likes

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by arthurwillia(m): 5:18pm On Oct 09, 2021
Davash222:

cheesy cheesy

Imagine he slept off during the flight, then he woke up, thinking he's in New Jersey only to start hearing Owo mi da cheesy

Funny but unrealistic
Rest

3 Likes

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by chatinent: 5:20pm On Oct 09, 2021
Lol.

He should double his hustle...targetting planes en route to London. Any way to escape from Nigeria is not bad

By the way, look how Oshiomhole was laughing like sb saying “boy, you are more criminally minded than me o. I couldn't believe it.”

Tueh! See face like wetin dem use wrap okpa. Oshiomhole could scare an adult at night. Where all these worwor people dey see fine fine ladies marry self. Beauty and the beast, Lara and the Oshiomhole. Na still God create this one?

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by respect80(m): 5:46pm On Oct 09, 2021
Look for another plane and pull the same stunt but this time be sure it's getting you out of the country.

Goodluck
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 5:54pm On Oct 09, 2021
Wahala no dey finish
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by eventainment(m): 5:56pm On Oct 09, 2021
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Ofadaman(m): 6:00pm On Oct 09, 2021
Wetin weevil no dey see for beans.
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 09, 2021
chatinent:
Lol.

He should double his hustle...targetting planes en route to London. Any way to escape from Nigeria is not bad

By the way, look how Oshiomhole was laughing like sb saying “boy, you are more criminally minded than me o. I couldn't believe it.”

Tueh! See face like wetin dem use wrap okpa. Oshiomhole could scare an adult at night. Where all these worwor people dey see fine fine ladies marry self. Beauty and the beast, Lara and the Oshiomhole. Na still God create this one?
take it easy

6 Likes

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by siofra(f): 6:28pm On Oct 09, 2021
So Oshiomhole promised to change his life but didn't....

Nigerian politicians, no be today dem start this their promise and fail.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by chatinent: 6:41pm On Oct 09, 2021
Lollittaa:

take it easy
Ok, love.
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by ahmthankgod(m): 6:43pm On Oct 09, 2021
Kaii... Una, his asking for a positive answer, you guy are imagining negative things
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Teerach: 6:46pm On Oct 09, 2021
Lol
Look well next time boy, and be sure it's leaving the country else the next one you go enter go land you for Borno.

1 Like

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 09, 2021
Davash222:

cheesy cheesy

So funny I forgot to laff
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by donprincebigt(m): 7:25pm On Oct 09, 2021
Davash222:

cheesy cheesy

Like seriously from frying pan to fire
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Charmingrascal(m): 7:44pm On Oct 09, 2021
Shebi na government born you.

Do you know how many young lads are hustling to get education without the opportunity?
He is already in the University, he has a handwork, he still expecting the government to be paying his bills.
Because you stowed away and you were pardoned for being a minor you still want to blackmail the government now that you are grown.
No be only you government promise and fail na everybody for this country.

8 Likes

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by YourFavorite21(m): 8:17pm On Oct 09, 2021
Fear no go gree me try am, what if I suffocate, or maybe I sleep off and fall down, na die o grin
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by dominique(f): 9:06pm On Oct 09, 2021
What manner of disgusting entitlement mentality is this? So the government should fund his education because he stowed away on a plane years ago? He should be thankful that he survived to tell the story. Oga, you don't deserve any scholarship for breaking the laws and risking your life. Go and hustle for your fees or open a GoFundMe. Ma this kain mumu thing oyinbo people like to contribute towards

7 Likes

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Treasure17(m): 9:42pm On Oct 09, 2021
Davash222:

cheesy cheesy

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by crackhouse(m): 9:47pm On Oct 09, 2021
Is he expecting the govt to take care of him forever? He should be happy that they didn't charge him to court.
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Collins4u1(m): 10:10pm On Oct 09, 2021
Davash222:

cheesy cheesy

Hahahahahahahahahah hahahahahahahahahah
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by UltimateStarman: 11:14pm On Oct 09, 2021
Seeksnigeria:
Update from

Eight years ago, Daniel Ricky Oikhena stirred an uproar in Nigeria as a 13-year- old boy who hid in the tyre compartment of a Lagos bound airplane from Benin City, Edo state and was not discovered until the plane landed in Lagos.

He said he was motivated by adventure and his desire to lift his family from poverty, thinking the flight was going abroad.

Some legal practitioners then said in the eyes of the law the boy could not be charged or prosecuted because he was a juvenile and they described him as one that needed to be trained just like in other developed climes, Siggy learnt.

A lawyer, Olayiwola Afolabi said then that “First and foremost you cannot blame the boy because he is a juvenile, you cannot charge him to court because he was not caught with any arms, and the boy never meant any harm.

“To me, the boy is a genius, and needs to be trained.”

With the widespread publicity that the act attracted, state governments like those of Lagos and Osun volunteered to take over his upbringing but his state government, Edo quickly announced a scholarship for Daniel and rehabilitation of his mother who then had lost her salon shop to fire.

Eight years after, Daniel now 21 years old and a 100 level student of Business Administration, Department of Education of the state-owned Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma expressed mixed feelings when he said he was lacking proper care and that all the expectations from government had not been met although government was responsible for where he is today.

Talking about what motivation his action in 2013, he said ”What motivated me was because the situation my family was in then was very bad.

“Things were very tough for us and one thing about me is that I love exploring what is strange to me, I love adventure.

“I love moving around trying to know what is going on so I used to go to the airport everyday to watch the security.

“To watch the movement of the planes, how they land and how they take off, I studied everything before I did what I did.”

He said his thought was that the plane was going abroad and believed that he would achieve his dreams and also shared his experience while in the tyre compartment of the plane “The truth is that I thought the plane was going outside the country.

“I didn’t know it was Lagos but I just wanted to do something for my family.

“When the plane took off, I wasn’t afraid, I was not scared but the problem I had was the sound which was very much and it did a lot of damage to my ear that even now, I still feel some sounds.

“Everything was going as planned until I landed in Lagos and I was caught. I was in JSS 3. I just wanted to travel abroad and do something to help my family.”

He said “After that, I was brought back to Benin, it was the former governor, Comrade Adams Aliyu Oshiomhole who promised he would take care of all my needs, that the government would give me allowance, take care of my school fees, put me in scholarship and that I won’t have any problem, that he will also take care of my mum because during that time, my mum’s shop got burnt.

“He promised to take care of my mum and that everything will be okay for us.

“Other states were also concerned about me but because of the promise by my state government.

“I believe they backed out because states like Osun and Lagos indicated interest in me but I believe they stepped down because of the position of the Edo state government.

“I am very grateful for the scholarship the government gave to me but it is not enough. Things are still very hard for me and my family.

“I still need help in any way because things are still very difficult but I remain grateful for the scholarship I am now enjoying but things are still hard.”

On how he copes at school, Oikhena said “It is my mum that still tries to support me in her little way.

“I learnt a trade, I am a hair stylist so sometimes I help people do their hair in school and they will pay me.

“That is where I get little extra money for transport and other things but it is not just enough.

“I am appealing to anyone out there that can be of assistance to me, I need all assistance,” he said, revealing that the scholarship only takes care of his school fees.

“The school environment is fine but I don’t have money, sometimes to buy books. I would not have the money to do any other things in the faculty, there is no money.

“I need allowances to take care of myself, sometimes I wear one shirt four times in a week, things are very hard.

“Feeding is a challenge that I have to get a routine for eating; sometimes I eat once a day and sometimes no food.

“My mum is the one still taking care of us so I don’t want to overburden her with my own problems.”

https:///8-years-after-boy-who-hid-in-plane-engine-from-edo-to-lagos-cries-for-help/
the boy is blessed
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 09, 2021
Terrorist behavior.
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by beautyhd: 1:03am On Oct 10, 2021
He's lucky hes still on scholarship.
He still does hair to make up, he's damn lucky.

Some peeps have no skill, are not on scholarship and from poorer homes and yet surviving.

The surviving instinct in him was killed years ago when the government started helping him or declared interest in helping him then he got lazy.

He should be 21 now and hence a full grown man. No body is gonna pity you, double your hustle cos country get as e be now.

1 Like

Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by fkj950ax(m): 1:19am On Oct 10, 2021
If I am the government responsible for his scholarship and I come across this interview, I will cancel the scholarship.
Re: 8 Years After, Boy Who Hid In Plane Engine From Edo To Lagos Cries For Help by flyingdutchman(m): 6:52am On Oct 10, 2021
Lucky you were a kid at the time, you would have been sent to prison. Did he really expect the government to reward him for his childish misadventure that would have led to his death Does he expect us to sponsor him, and encourage others to attempt this dangerous stunt? Nigerians and entitlement!!!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Experiences Of Nigerians Studying In UK (london) / Twitter User Who Posted The Trending BABCOCK Sex Tape Issues Public Apology / What’s The Most Useless Fact You Know? Pictures Attached

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.