Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,552 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? (7703 Views)

Olu Falae: Fulani Herdsmen Killed My Guard, Cut Out His Heart, Took Away Rifle / Olu Falae: Why Honest, Decent People Can’t Become President Of Nigeria / Olu Falae: Yoruba Is The Glue Holding Nigeria Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by ogododo: 8:57pm On Oct 09, 2021
Chief Olu Falae has said that there was nothing wrong with a government borrowing, but that the right answers must be provided for “for what purpose?” “from who?” and “what are the terms?”.

The banker, administrator and politician raised the questions in an interview with Vanguard, while commenting on the debt profile of the Federal Government.

He noted that Nigeria got into same foreign debt trap during Shagari’s era, when the government started issuing import licences far in excess of foreign earnings.

Olu Falae said: “One is not condemning borrowing. But what are you borrowing for? From whom are you borrowing? What are the terms of the borrowing?

“Now, we are taking Euro bonds. Those are commercial loans and the interest rate will be high.

“And when you borrow from abroad, there is a hidden factor that most people don’t know. It’s not just the interest rate or repayment period.

“There is what we call the currency risk. You are borrowing in dollars or pounds sterling or euro. The naira has been depreciating against the dollar almost from time immemorial.

“Not only do you pay the interest rate or the coupon rate, you have to bear the currency risk; that is the depreciation of the naira consequences for your borrowing.

“So, it is double jeopardy and the interest you are paying.

“Unless you have competent knowledgeable people doing these things, you will be in a terrible mess.”

On how to get out of the debt crisis, he said: “The only realistic external debt strategy for Nigeria is still a buy-back. If it could be done then, it can be done now.

“And when you borrow from abroad, there is a hidden factor that most people don’t know. It’s not just the interest rate or repayment period.

“There is what we call the currency risk. You are borrowing in dollars or pounds sterling or euro. The naira has been depreciating against the dollar almost from time immemorial.

“Not only do you pay the interest rate or the coupon rate, you have to bear the currency risk; that is the depreciation of the naira consequences for your borrowing.

“So, it is double jeopardy and the interest you are paying.

“Unless you have competent knowledgeable people doing these things, you will be in a terrible mess.”

On how to get out of the debt crisis, he said: “The only realistic external debt strategy for Nigeria is still a buy-back. If it could be done then, it can be done now.

“I said I could eliminate Nigeria’s external debt in six months, when I was campaigning. I just wanted to be modest. It could be done in three months.

“A buy-back is taking back from your creditors the bonds you gave to them; the piece of paper you signed.

“If you don’t want to follow those agreements, the only concession you can validly and reasonably expect is a buy-back.

“In 1988, when I was secretary to the government, Nigeria sold 10 percent of her equity in Shell BP for $1.8 billion.

“So, if we are to sell 10 percent of our equity in all the oil companies, we would able to raise some $20 billion immediately.”

Olu Falae said former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, was able to buy back the country’s debt within two years by following his recommendations.

He also said the borrowed funds should be used for priority projects, not constructing railway to Niger Republic, when many states in Nigeria don’t have rails.

Falae advised the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, to stay off retail banking.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/olu-falae-borrowing-not-bad-but-what-for-from-who-on-what-terms/amp/

13 Likes

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by nairavsdollars(f): 8:59pm On Oct 09, 2021
All these men are the problem of this country..is this not Falana's picture?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by helinues: 9:00pm On Oct 09, 2021
Toh
Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Illuminatiship(m): 9:16pm On Oct 09, 2021
God punish past and present NIGERIA politicians..

1 Like

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Bola146(f): 9:16pm On Oct 09, 2021
Exactly my questions whenever I hear the amount borrowed, we don't know how the money vanished with no evidence of how spent cry cry cry help us Lord

21 Likes

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by benuejosh: 9:37pm On Oct 09, 2021
Tell the haters. All of those who don't see anything good with Buhari.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by RiceProducers: 9:42pm On Oct 09, 2021
Currency risk?. Naira will appreciate after 2022 with refineries producing and local substitutes for imported food. There goes currency risk.

Nigeria does not have a debt problem, there is a revenue collection problem and government workers are stealing

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by PrinceOfLagos: 9:51pm On Oct 09, 2021
They've borrowed almost from all the countries of the world still, the country is in a sorry state.

2 Likes

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by omowolewa: 9:55pm On Oct 09, 2021
Baba, no matter what you say PMB will borrow, he is determined to do so

2 Likes

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Jestin: 4:51am On Oct 10, 2021
How can the government borrow to loot ? The youth should wake up because they are already projecting one walking corps who just recuperated in London for 2023.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by jedisco(m): 4:51am On Oct 10, 2021
Well said, Nigeria should not be borrowing foriegn currency at rates of upto 8%. Our revenue and gowth rate cannot support that...
Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Searchingvictor: 4:53am On Oct 10, 2021
Borrowing to loot
Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by PCG1: 4:53am On Oct 10, 2021
Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by IamDavid(m): 4:55am On Oct 10, 2021
What's the repayment plan? How will it be spent?
Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Nobody: 5:01am On Oct 10, 2021
This too, shall pass.

1 Like

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by juniorstar(m): 5:08am On Oct 10, 2021
ogododo:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/olu-falae-borrowing-not-bad-but-what-for-from-who-on-what-terms/amp/

#We need to reduce the cost of governance
#We need to stop mortgaging the lives of present and future Nigerians
#we need a good database of Nigerians..both home and abroad to plan the course of Nigeria
#We need to educate the Nigerian population on skills that will make us self sufficient to a good extent
# we need to develop key sectors power, transport, health care.
#We need to reduce our appetite for foreign good to balance our trade deficit until our population is skilled enough or supported enough to be productive..
#We need to develop mechanized and scientifically sound agriculture at par with what exist in parts of the developed world

6 Likes

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Grace001: 5:14am On Oct 10, 2021
If you like talk from morning till night, Buhari will still go ahead and borrow money.

Nothing will change it, Buhari will release borrowed funds to construct rail to Niger

1 Like

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Grace001: 5:18am On Oct 10, 2021
ogododo:

@op how is the picture of Femi Falana related to Olu-Falae contribution to the economy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by wink2015(m): 5:31am On Oct 10, 2021
RiceProducers:
Currency risk?. Naira will appreciate after 2022 with refineries producing and local substitutes for imported food. There goes currency risk.

Nigeria does not have a debt problem, there is a revenue collection problem and government workers are stealing

The cost of governance is too high.
Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by sulaak(m): 5:31am On Oct 10, 2021
The government has better solutions than borrowing all the time.

“I said I could eliminate Nigeria’s external debt in six months, when I was campaigning. I just wanted to be modest. It could be done in three months.

“A buy-back is taking back from your creditors the bonds you gave to them; the piece of paper you signed.

“If you don’t want to follow those agreements, the only concession you can validly and reasonably expect is a buy-back.

“In 1988, when I was secretary to the government, Nigeria sold 10 percent of her equity in Shell BP for $1.8 billion.

“So, if we are to sell 10 percent of our equity in all the oil companies, we would able to raise some $20 billion immediately.”

Olu Falae said former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, was able to buy back the country’s debt within two years by following his recommendations.

He also said the borrowed funds should be used for priority projects, not constructing railway to Niger Republic, when many states in Nigeria don’t have rails.

Falae advised the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, to stay off retail banking. Read the full interview
Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:34am On Oct 10, 2021
nairavsdollars:
All these men are the problem of this country

Did you read the post?

5 Likes

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by F22RAPTOR(m): 5:35am On Oct 10, 2021
So op, you couldnt find olu falae's picture, na falz papa picture you go see abi. ? Smh

5 Likes

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by brownemmanuel43(m): 5:37am On Oct 10, 2021
I will keep shouting it, whoever wants to listen should listen, we all deserves the current govt and it's management staff.
We all deserves the happenings in the country.
We all deserves the injustices in the country.
We all deserves the insecurity in the country.
I gat no godamn thing to say, mine is just to keep pushing until the day I will japa from the country.

2 Likes

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Victorclean1: 5:42am On Oct 10, 2021
Tinubu rooted for Ahmed Lawan that destroyed our democracy and he wanted to be out president.

Shameless hypocritical owo da people see through their nose and think through their eyes.

Too blind set of tribe, though they suffer more and more on the street begging. After Hause Yoruba is the next poverty stricken tribe. Owo da ejor, Owo da ejor

Just imagine.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/04/22/tinubu-why-i-am-rooting-for-lawan-gbajabiamila/

1 Like

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Vaiki(m): 5:43am On Oct 10, 2021
nairavsdollars:
All these men are the problem of this country
Dullard!! Nothing upstairs? Go spread your smelly cunt as always.
Good advice Sir!

1 Like

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Chochovini: 5:44am On Oct 10, 2021
Grace001:

@op how is the picture of Femi Falana related to Olu-Falae contribution to the economy
. U have eyes and you can see with it. I was about asking similar question. May be chief Falae doesn‘t have any pix again or so I thought.

2 Likes

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Vaiki(m): 5:45am On Oct 10, 2021
Jeezuzpick:

Did you read the post?
She did, but probably she is too dull to comprehend.
Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by muller101(m): 5:47am On Oct 10, 2021
So they can link rail lines to niger republic. grin when so called federal roads are death traps in the useless country.

3 Likes

Re: Olu Falae: Borrowing Not Bad; But What For, From Who, On What Terms? by Aganju849: 5:48am On Oct 10, 2021
ogododo:

Borrowing to steal

Consign the next four or five generaions to economic servitude just so you can fly private jet all over the world and fùck the classiest whøres. But tell them you are building infrastructure and developing democracy

Afterall your own forefathers did it, only that their own toys were umbrellas, glass mirrors, harems and fine horses.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria’s Wartime Leader / What Role Does Philosophy Play In Society? / 50 Nigerians Soldiers Perish In Auto Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.