Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,945 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k (2028 Views)

My Bitter Experience At The Police Station / Police Arrest 2 Suspected Cultists In Bayelsa, Recover A Revolver Pistol (Pix) / Yahoo Boy Who Defrauded Swizz Woman On ‘Badoo’, Arrested. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 6:45pm On Oct 10, 2021
While trying to recover a scammed 200k, the bank told me to meet the police, then the police told me to pay 80k or meet a lawyer then the lawyer told me to bring 100k.

This post on nairaland actually made me think recovering money from a scammer was easy.

https://www.nairaland.com/6108474/duped-whatsapp-tv-how-recovered/4

My friends on nairaland forget the BVN hype if you're scamned in Nigeria nothing will happen

I wish I could post pictures inbetween like before but the pictures will be scattered, but you'll understand. So my female friend was scammed below is the story in the letter to the bank I sent

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 6:49pm On Oct 10, 2021
Below is the letter I sent to First bank Nigeria while reading you will understand everything that happened

Hello, Firstbank Nigeria I was scammed of 200 thousand naira by a Facebook user who goes by the Facebook name Collins Chinedu Obika with this receiver's account number 2200837750 United bank of Africa whose Bank account name is Obinna Casmir Ogbu. He messaged me on Facebook and after some friendly chat, I gave him my WhatsApp number. Then he said he would send 2000 USD to me through western union that I should help him pay 353 thousand naira for his father's hospital bill from my personal money. I then sent the sum of 50,000 naira on 10/09/2021 to Mr Obinna through POS via my ATM card which I used to withdraw the money from my firstbank account, with my account number 3080703573 Nwoko Grace O then deposited to the UBA account mentioned above. The picture of the POS paper is this picture below.

(First attachment is the picture of the POS paper)

Then on Saturday being the 11/09/2011 I sent a total sum of 150 thousand naira only. I sent 100 thousand naira via my mobile phone using the first bank USSD. The evidence of this 100 thousand naira transfer is the picture in the attachment below.

(The second attachment is the picture of the debit sms)

I also sent another 50 thousand naira via a POS outlet. The picture of this last 50 thousand naira is this picture in the attachment below

(The third attachment is the picture of the POS online receipt since papers could not be gotten)

Like I said I sent a total sum of 150,000 naira on the 11/09/2021 because he has sent me a fake receipt of a western union deposit of 2000 U.S dollars. So I later discovered it was a fake receipt when I involved people around me. I was told a Western union receipt is supposed to carry only a control number and a security question. But the one I got was just a debit alert SMS from nxsms. And NXSMS is an anonymous message sender when I contacted people around. The message I received was supposed to be for the sender because it had the sender's account balance, making it fake. The picture of the fake western union transfer I got as an SMS is below.

(The last attachment on this nairaland post is the fake western union credit alert)

Let's continue on the other page

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 6:57pm On Oct 10, 2021
FunnyDude

I created this thread because of u

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Nobody: 6:58pm On Oct 10, 2021
We are reading.

To what end.
Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 7:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
Juliusmalema:
We are reading.

To what end.

To nothing bro. After meeting bank,police and lawyer with all the chats and everything.

Check above I have updated it

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 7:21pm On Oct 10, 2021
Continuation

I also went to the western union website only to discover I have been duped as the control number does not exist.

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 7:27pm On Oct 10, 2021
Lastly from the email.

So please first-bank is there anything that can be done as I have been duped.
Below is our chats.

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by rayvelez(m): 7:27pm On Oct 10, 2021
I’m speechless right now like someone u don’t know on fb message you and promised u audio $2000 wtf is wrong with and u expect those stupid policemen to take up ur case freely when you stupidly and willingly gave him 200k abeg getat.

8 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 7:27pm On Oct 10, 2021

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 7:28pm On Oct 10, 2021

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 7:29pm On Oct 10, 2021

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by richidinho(m): 7:34pm On Oct 10, 2021
Write down this petition and go with it to any EFCC office near you
Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Homeboiy: 7:35pm On Oct 10, 2021
Mugu fall

Guy man chop

4 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 7:35pm On Oct 10, 2021
rayvelez:
I’m speechless right now like someone u don’t know on fb message you and promised u audio $2000 wtf is wrong with and u expect those stupid policemen to take up ur case freely when you stupidly and willingly gave him 200k abeg getat.

Pls stop blaiming scammed victim she got a fake sms alert. As u can see its a woman me am a man.
It happened some time ago. I'm posting it today because of a guy that was asking how he can recover a 100k he mistakenly sent to another person.

Oga nobody want's a free case. But paying 100k or 80k for a return you're not sure of.

Outside this case this is the third or fourth scammed victim I have helped in messaging the banks and absolutely nothing happened. The BVN stuff is just a hype.
The guy who got his money back was a money doubling scheme more foolish than this one but he was lucky to get his money back.

This is to enlighten the general public. So you should be careful before sending money as the BVN or tracking hype might not help u.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 7:41pm On Oct 10, 2021
So let me summarize very briefly for those who hate long writeups. the experience with the police, lawyers and banks as none could help.

What happened was that this Facebook user made a fake alert deceiving my friend that he has sent 2000 usd to her via western union. He told her he wanted to send with the normal black markets but due to covid-19 it isn't available. And this was weekends she would have propably tried withrawing from the bank first. So since she has seen the fake alert from western union with the hope of getting her money on monday she started sending money and she was told it was for hospital bills of his dad.
So long story short after the scam was uncovered she sent the email to Firstbank so they told her nothing could be done from their end that she has to meet the police. Then she met the police they told her first to bring 20k. Then she told me I agreed since they'll block the account. The police told her they no longer use bankers order. So she has to pay 80k, and the woman let her know that is not all. And she is not guaranteeing her success. She then came back. Then we adviced her to meet a lawyer he said to have a court order she must bring 100k first.

So after the whole drama she went again to Firstbank office they told her they are sorry and there is nothing they can do, then they adviced her to go to Lagos saying the email she sent was for their lagos branch.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by JavaScript90: 7:43pm On Oct 10, 2021
Scammers everywhere
Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 7:48pm On Oct 10, 2021
JavaScript90:
Scammers everywhere

Forget the BVN hype you almost cannot revover money from a scammer in Nigeria.

This is like the third time I'm sending emails like that nairaland guy sent and still following up yet no result.
Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by poiZon: 9:43pm On Oct 10, 2021
Laughnow419:
Mynd44 Lalasticlala oam4j seun
Did u try efcc?
If those ones too no react, then na to just begin put money for hole.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Laughnow419: 11:01pm On Oct 10, 2021
poiZon:

Did u try efcc?
If those ones too no react, then na to just begin put money for hole.

Well she haven't. But from my experiences I can say the Nairalander was lucky
Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Boogyman557: 5:47am On Oct 11, 2021
HOLLY GRAM cool SO SORRY MAN BUT UPON EVERYTHING GOING ON IN DIS CUNTREE PEOPLE STILL 4ALL MUGU.. I DNT REALLY GET IT.. ARE PEOPLE FROM ANODA PLANET EARTH OR SOMETHING.. SAME REASON I TRUST NO FOOLS. SAME REASON I HIGH ON MY KUSH 24sc.. WTF MAN

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Kajaard: 6:06am On Oct 11, 2021
Laughnow419:
Lastly from the email.

Sad
Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by ThugBoy(m): 8:50am On Oct 11, 2021
When mugu fall Alaye go chop wella.....
Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Mamayam: 1:26pm On Oct 11, 2021
how did you not know it was a scam? Did I see an ID balance of around 80 million dollars? who spells control as CONTROLL?

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by FunnyDude(m): 2:34pm On Oct 11, 2021
Laughnow419:
FunnyDude

I created this thread because of u

Noted, following the thread
Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by faithfull18(f): 2:51pm On Oct 11, 2021
Will update later about someone's experience I know. Recovery took over a year/2years.
Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by BluntTheApostle(m): 3:16pm On Oct 11, 2021
Laughnow419:
So let me summarize very briefly for those who hate long writeups. the experience with the police, lawyers and banks as none could help.

What happened was that this Facebook user made a fake alert deceiving my friend that he has sent 2000 usd to her via western union. He told her he wanted to send with the normal black markets but due to covid-19 it isn't available. And this was weekends she would have propably tried withrawing from the bank first. So since she has seen the fake alert from western union with the hope of getting her money on monday she started sending money and she was told it was for hospital bills of his dad.
So long story short after the scam was uncovered she sent the email to Firstbank so they told her nothing could be done from their end that she has to meet the police. Then she met the police they told her first to bring 20k. Then she told me I agreed since they'll block the account. The police told her they no longer use bankers order. So she has to pay 80k, and the woman let her know that is not all. And she is not guaranteeing her success. She then came back. Then we adviced her to meet a lawyer he said to have a court order she must bring 100k first.

So after the whole drama she went again to Firstbank office they told her they are sorry and there is nothing they can do, then they adviced her to go to Lagos saying the email she sent was for their lagos branch.

First of all, banks have a policy which might help or void your case.

If the fraud happened due to your negligence, they ask you to involve the police.

Some banks may, however, go out of their way to help you, but this is usually a tricky one.

Imagine that you are a bank, and a customer of yours has just been scammed due to their own negligence. Negligence means that they were not forced to send the money, they did of their own accord. How can you (the bank) decide that a fraud did happen, without investigations beyond mere screenshots? What if (without documented investigation results), the screenshots lead the bank into freezing an innocent account? Don't you think the bank would have its credibility questioned.

Banking is not an easy business. Banks do want to help customers that have been defrauded, but some fraud cases are just too easy that some caution is needed so that the bank is not drawn into endless lawsuits.

As you must know, everything may be straightforward until a lawyer starts convulating it.

To a layman, the screenshots are enough evidence, and the case is a straightforward one. But when the bank refers the case to their legal team, the simple case will start developing limbs and hands.

Note also that not all similar cases are treated the same. That a case with a more foolish victim gets quick resolution does not mean that every easy fraud case will get quick resolution.

From the case you presented, it is the police who have the wherewithal to investigate the authenticity of screenshots, and tie up the allegations nicely. The only thing a lawyer can do is push the police to investigate the matter.

As for the bank, there is nothing they can do. As far as the bank is concerned, two people went into a money-based exchange on WhatsApp. Now, one is shouting fraud. That is how the bank sees it. You can't use mere screenshots to get the bank to take your side. It is the job of the police to investigate the matter, and prepare a police report.

A police report is more credible than screetshots which anyone can formulate.

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Silbart: 5:02pm On Oct 11, 2021
Laughnow419:
While trying to recover a scammed 200k, the bank told me to meet the police, then the police told me to pay 80k or meet a lawyer then the lawyer told me to bring 100k.

This post on nairaland actually made me think recovering money from a scammer was easy.

My friends on nairaland forget the BVN hype if you're scamned in Nigeria nothing will happen

I wish I could post pictures inbetween like before but the pictures will be scattered, but you'll understand. So my female friend was scammed below is the story in the letter to the bank I sent
women sha cause he told her his from USA

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Nobody: 5:06am On Oct 12, 2021
Laughnow419:
Below is the letter I sent to First bank Nigeria while reading you will understand everything that happened

Where is the fraud? I honestly don't see any.
Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by Rapfrick(m): 5:53am On Oct 14, 2021
Mention me in another thread later this afternoon
Laughnow419:

Re: My Bitter Experience Trying To Recover A Defrauded 200k by caprini1: 6:30am On Oct 14, 2021
Laughnow419:

Just go Anambra buy 50 naira kolanut for an oracle , and leave the matter.Police n Lawyers are Nigerians looking for what to eat in our horrible economy, they cant help you.If the scammer and his generation no wipe out,dont believe the gods.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

OSUN Police Arrests Two 21-year-old Men Who Stole Mercedes Benz Worth N15m (SEE / "No Let Yahoo Boys Run You Street" - EFCC Lists Suspicious Investment Schemes / Nigerian Police Join Cultist To Kill Rivals Video Tapes It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.