Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,864 members, 7,956,266 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:52 AM

Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? (14959 Views)

Peter Obi Reacts To Pandora Papers Scandal / Pandora Papers: Inside Peter Obi’s Secret Businesses — And How He Broke The Law / Pandora Papers: Global Investigation Exposes Secrets Of Some Of Nigeria’s Elite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Fiscus105(m): 7:12am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Senseless to you, but have you asked yourself how the developed nations you cherish so much get to where they are now? Where do you think developed nations get the money they used to develop their nations aside mineral and human resources that you have in aboundance?

If you tax the rich the poor won't have to suffer.

In Ireland today, they depend mostly on taxes,

If Nigeria can manage her taxes effectively, we would have been one of richest.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by OG1BABY(f): 7:12am On Oct 12, 2021
Okay
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by OvisFranko: 7:13am On Oct 12, 2021
[quote author=meccuno post=106659510]Senseless post.The one you have paid, what have you done with it.[/quote

Sentiments aside, the question the OP asked is deep. Not out of place at all.

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by BanevsJoker(m): 7:15am On Oct 12, 2021
So if I own a business in Ghana, should I pay the taxes to Ghana or Nigeria? This una agenda no gree agend no matter how hard you try.
The businesses are abroad, so paying taxes there and also in Nigeria is dumb as it amounts to double taxation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by duality(m): 7:15am On Oct 12, 2021
Now this is just politics.

Who is afraid of Obi?

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by eallstar: 7:16am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Senseless to you, but have you asked yourself how the developed nations you cherish so much get to where they are now? Where do you think developed nations get the money they used to develop their nations aside mineral and human resources that you have in aboundance?

Nigeria is not ready yet, it's better not to pay until they are ready because the one we have been paying since are being looted for personal gains instead of development

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by BluntTheApostle(m): 7:16am On Oct 12, 2021
Noshitboi:
But to be frank, what happens to the VAT and other taxes collected by government. Where do the money go? What do they use it for? See ehn, in this Nigeria if I have my way I will very much love tp evade tax. Imagine our taxes being used to pay bandit's ransom up north. It makes no sense!!

Taxes generally are used to pay wages, pensions, healthcare, education, technology (not reflective in our country), infrastructures, welfare (feeding programs, etceteras).
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Lawmak: 7:17am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

I bet you, you don't pay tax. If you are paying a direct tax you won't spew this rubbish. Do u know how painful it is to pay tax and see nothing happen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by emmykk(m): 7:17am On Oct 12, 2021
Pandora pandora tax wahala. As Accounting graduate tax is not something business and individuals are happy to pay.
There are legit ways of bypassing them let alone if they can be avoided totally.

Taxation in Nigeria give tax wavier to individuals and companies if the donate to certain organizations and claim some condition approved by law to beat down tax.

What l want to hear is Peter Obi loot govt money like Abacha or Ibori and the money is about to be send home .
All these pandora blablabblab that he has offshore account or do this and that is rubbish
It will not prevent him from any political position.
If those in kano caught on video pocketing bribe is still a governor is it someone private business strategy that should border us.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by MT: 7:18am On Oct 12, 2021
Angeldemon:

Most Nigerians dont like paying tax because the governments havent been using it for what its meant for. Instead they embezle it.
So paying tax in Nigeria is like just dashing your money to a random man on the street for no reason

You have successfully won the most unintelligent post of the year.

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 12, 2021
Obi Pandora is a criminal....get the message out.

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by obailala(m): 7:18am On Oct 12, 2021
Angeldemon:

Most Nigerians dont like paying tax because the governments havent been using it for what its meant for. Instead they embezle it.
So paying tax in Nigeria is like just dashing your money to a random man on the street for no reason
Why should I pay more taxes when I have the free choice to pay less?

This isnt even about Nigeria; all over the world, businessmen will always seek for ways to lessen their tax burden... and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

4 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Psalmistproject: 7:19am On Oct 12, 2021
The one you have paid what do they have to show for it?

Your tax was supposed to provide:

Roads, security, electricity, water, affordable transport facility (like air, rail and sea travel), jobs, cheap forex for import, standard hospitals etc.

My question is:

What happened to the ones paid?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by BluntTheApostle(m): 7:19am On Oct 12, 2021
eallstar:

Nigeria is not ready yet, it's better not to pay until they are ready because the one we have been paying since are being looted for personal gains instead of development

If you don't pay, how will government generate revenues to pay pensions, to fund healthcare, education, welfare, build roads, procure technology, etceteras?
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by AbdulYungClown: 7:21am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Oga you pay taxes where you MAKE the money!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by KaluwisxPRO: 7:22am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

"The difference is you are doing your business openly and paying the right taxes as when due, but our businessmen, politcians and clergymen are doing it secretly to cut corners...Why would you trust them if all they do is cut corners?

Now tell me, who is more learned on matters as this?". - Village People spokesperson.

Who said they’re cutting corners? Offshore banking is not cutting corners.

As a business man, one cannot keep excess cash in your country of domicile. As a man, putting all your eggs in one basket is tantamount to failure as in the case of dwindling exchange rate in Nigeria.

Now imagine all that USD savings offshore in Nigeria Naira? So you expect those who’ve worked legitimately to save for their future, to have their savings rubbished by your ignorant government and their economic policies.

The poverty mentality of a lot of Nigerians expect every rich person to be generous and help the poor or the country. Ogbeni, you need to work your ass off yourself anywhere on earth.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by ekerintee: 7:22am On Oct 12, 2021
Do you think there is No corruption abroad,the only difference IS that the Level is high in Nigeria.We Blame govt for everything,forgeting that corruption Starts from the average man on the street to the top govt officials who loot taxes.The White dont publicise the trial of corrupt govt officials.There are so many Things in place to Check looting.The Banks Play a Key Role in reporting any fraudulent Transaction.In Nigeria ,we have Bankers cooperating with govt officials to loot the country and we keep shouting govt .Our judiciary is corrupt ,the Police is corrupt and cant investigate without bribes .Nigerian Problem is complex,Not only Our politicians .corruption will continue until we Put some tough measures in place .

meccuno:
Senseless post.The one you have paid, what have you done with it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by BluntTheApostle(m): 7:22am On Oct 12, 2021
Psalmistproject:
The one you have paid what do they have to show for it?

Your tax was supposed to provide:

Roads, security, electricity, water, affordable transport facility (like air, rail and sea travel), jobs, cheap forex for import, standard hospitals etc.

My question is:

What happened to the ones paid?

But can't you see the roads?

Have you checked our defense budget?

Affordable transport facility is not a function of government.

Cheap forex for import is not a use of tax.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by MT: 7:22am On Oct 12, 2021
SmartPolician:
KingOfAmebo

I think you should make specific references because everyone on that list has a unique story.

As for Peter Obi, he has already explained his in that video posted here yesterday.

According to him, when the company that operates an offshore account was floated, he lived in London. You cannot be based in London and be paying taxes to Nigeria.

He added that the company was operated that way based on the professional advice of a consulting firm (he gave its name), noting that it was never unlawful to do it. He also said that the company wasn't used to launder money before, during and after his term as governor.

To date, I will continue to hold Peter Obi and Donald Duke in high esteem because they are the only two former governors who are active in politics and weren't invited by the EFCC for money laundering scandals after spending 8 years in office. That's commendable!

The more you look, the less you see. Peter Obi was just trying to launder his image which has taken a hit.

Let the Govt takes him on, then you will see his hidden dirts in public. His explanation is not credible. We all know what and why they have secret accounts hidden in offshore accounts.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 12, 2021
olaniyiYAH:
How I wish all this 600 useless journalists can be punished, tarnishing the image of this country and blackmail people names with there quack report

The Pandora papers are not just about Nigerian politicians, it is about politicians worldwide.

No one is safe. A lot of politicians in developed and developing countries have been named and shamed.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Dreamhighnow(m): 7:25am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

The question is, Since taxes are ment to cater for the development of a country as obtainable in developed nations, Why would our so called businessmen, politcians and clergymen chose to pay taxes "secretly" to economies of other countries while leaving the country they claim to love impoverished?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/487959-pandora-papers-global-investigation-exposes-secrets-of-some-of-nigerias-rich-and-powerful.html

It is their money. They can invest it anywhere

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by eallstar: 7:25am On Oct 12, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

If you don't pay, how will government generate revenues to pay pensions, to fund healthcare, education, welfare, build roads, procure technology, etceteras?

The ones we have been paying since 1960,where did you see good health care? They run to abroad for medical , bad road full
everywhere, no good education ASUU strike everywhere, see bro just forget Nigeria never ready

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Otiwaikuku: 7:28am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

The question is, Since taxes are ment to cater for the development of a country as obtainable in developed nations, Why would our so called businessmen, politcians and clergymen chose to pay taxes "secretly" to economies of other countries while leaving the country they claim to love impoverished?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/487959-pandora-papers-global-investigation-exposes-secrets-of-some-of-nigerias-rich-and-powerful.html

Ask yourself what have the political billionaires don with our taxes if not to loot it? You want wealthy businessmen to pay taxes and the lazy clueless politicians will loot it to finance their reckless life style.
Is our taxes being used efficiently and our economy is like this?What modern infrastructure will our country be proud of?
They will pad budget ,inflat contracts and govt will not bring them to book.
This nation is a big scam.
Why is govt not fighting corruption holistically?
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by BluntTheApostle(m): 7:29am On Oct 12, 2021
obailala:
Why should I pay more taxes when I have the free choice to pay less?

This isnt even about Nigeria; all over the world, businessmen will always seek for ways to lessen their tax burden... and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

It may not be wrong for the Blairs whose countries are developed.

But it is bad for a developing country like Nigeria.

You claim to love Nigeria, but are one of those contributing to her badly performing economy.

This is to Obi and Oyedepo. Two men who display so much self righteousness, but who are actually not selfless at all, but selfish.

2 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by frowland(m): 7:31am On Oct 12, 2021
SmartPolician:
KingOfAmebo

I think you should make specific references because everyone on that list has a unique story.

As for Peter Obi, he has already explained his in that video posted here yesterday.

According to him, when the company that operates an offshore account was floated, he lived in London. You cannot be based in London and be paying taxes to Nigeria.

He added that the company was operated that way based on the professional advice of a consulting firm (he gave its name), noting that it was never unlawful to do it. He also said that the company wasn't used to launder money before, during and after his term as governor.

To date, I will continue to hold Peter Obi and Donald Duke in high esteem because they are the only two former governors who are active in politics and weren't invited by the EFCC for money laundering scandals after spending 8 years in office. That's commendable!

You are ignorant about Peter Obi but as a matter of public discussion let’s leave it at that. I won’t say further than this.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by SmartPolician: 7:34am On Oct 12, 2021
frowland:

You are ignorant about Peter Obi but as a matter of public discussion let’s leave it at that. I won’t say further than this.

If you know so much about him, share it. I am no defender of any Nigerian politician. I just shared what he told us.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by iramure(m): 7:37am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

don't expect everybody to be reasonable. Only very few among us have the courage to question the "touch not my annoited people" you talk sensibly. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by AnambraTerror: 7:38am On Oct 12, 2021
SlyDev:
Puta Saint Hoebi is a fraud. You expect okoro to turn on his brother? Dem no be Yoruba na, na Yoruba that one fit work on, just cough Tinubu and see how his blood brothers destroy him in seconds
And oyedepo is a bastarddd pastor abi since he's also involved
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by SmartPolician: 7:38am On Oct 12, 2021
MT:

The more you look, the less you see. Peter Obi was just trying to launder his image which has taken a hit.

Let the Govt takes him on, then you will see his hidden dirts in public. His explanation is not credible. We all know what and why they have secret accounts hidden in offshore accounts.

It seems you already formed an opinion about him and this thread is just a guise for crucifying him.
Well, I don't defend any politician; I just shared what he said in the video and my personal observation.
Do enjoy the rest of your day.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by mapet: 7:38am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

You have asked the same question to my mind. It is ethically immoral and irresponsible to hide in supposed tax havens. These people are robbing the country. You enjoy benefits of the land, you make money from the land, you charge people of the land yet you hide your proceeds. You run afoul of the law in most cases...

Even Jesus said pay unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's...
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Useku(m): 7:39am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Answer the question, what have you done with the one we paid

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

You’re Not Complete Until You Kill Boko Haram Terrorists, CDS Tells Troops / Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! / MASSOB On Hoisting Biafran Flag: Police Can't Stop Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.