Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,948 members, 7,952,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:23 AM

Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? (14946 Views)

Peter Obi Reacts To Pandora Papers Scandal / Pandora Papers: Inside Peter Obi’s Secret Businesses — And How He Broke The Law / Pandora Papers: Global Investigation Exposes Secrets Of Some Of Nigeria’s Elite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by ozo13(m): 9:37am On Oct 12, 2021
Angeldemon:

Most Nigerians dont like paying tax because the governments havent been using it for what its meant for. Instead they embezle it.
So paying tax in Nigeria is like just dashing your money to a random man on the street for no reason
We still have a long way to go when it comes to tax administration.i was going through some stuffs online as regard value added tax and discovered Nigeria VAT stands at 7.5% and the least in Africa continent.

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by alphaNomega: 9:41am On Oct 12, 2021
Zorn:
if you talk about people with questionable character Buhari won't be were he is today . Infact he should be dead by
now for treason. The reason most Nigerians don't want to pay tax is because our public offices lacks credibility and integrity. Nigerians feel they are enriching the political class and that is true.
but he is already dead

You see eh, just as this NASCO story took Nigerians by surprise, it is the same way, 60 years later, this would "surprise" the Nigerians in that time, that's if at all the country would still exist.

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 12, 2021
BlackyOne:
1. Multiple taxation
2. They know these taxes go into their colleagues pocket.
3. They also know that these taxes doesn't reflect in the development of the country because of them and their colleagues

Will u say the same thing if it were Tinubu or Aregbesola? Hypocrisy everywhere!
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 12, 2021
Validated:

Op, I earn my income in country my business situates and pay taxes there. If I earn income in Nigeria, I pay taxes to FIRS. If my investment in UK makes profit, why should I pay double, one to UK and another to Nigeria? You are not learned enough forthe topic you embarked on

According to Nigeria tax law, so far you reside in Nigeria, there is term called 'Net Income from Abroad' which attract a lesser tax percentage to the income generated in Nigeria.
Failure to disclose this amounts to tax evasion which is a criminal offence and liable to either fine or imprisonment or both.

Meanwhile, this is Nija where some set of people are above the law, nothing happens

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 12, 2021
SmartPolician:
KingOfAmebo

I think you should make specific references because everyone on that list has a unique story.

As for Peter Obi, he has already explained his in that video posted here yesterday.

According to him, when the company that operates an offshore account was floated, he lived in London. You cannot be based in London and be paying taxes to Nigeria.

He added that the company was operated that way based on the professional advice of a consulting firm (he gave its name), noting that it was never unlawful to do it. He also said that the company wasn't used to launder money before, during and after his term as governor.

To date, I will continue to hold Peter Obi and Donald Duke in high esteem because they are the only two former governors who are active in politics and weren't invited by the EFCC for money laundering scandals after spending 8 years in office. That's commendable!

Let me tell you the truth you don’t know, tax havens are for the dubious and most corrupt humans you can find on Earth. You think Mark, Bezos and Elon don’t know it exist and also don’t want the profit that comes with it? It’s because they popular and can be said they are not dubious.

It is a stash house for thieves!

Nigerian politicians no longer use 1st world countries has stash houses as they have to realize it is not safe and can be questioned, and why you see them stashing cash in Middle East and this same tax havens.

Obi can only use that video to cajole kids! A primary one pupil won’t tell me that without getting a slap, as it’s an insult to my intelligence. What’s so peculiar about those countries that made him go stash cash there? The truth is that, the loot is safer there.

Hit the mail on the head and stop acting like a JJC

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by mapet: 10:17am On Oct 12, 2021
emmykk:

Sense is not common...I don't expect you to understand my disorganized incoherent submission here. It will take you many years to understand it because first must have to study Accounting and then understand Nigeria political space.
You are not supposed to understand it.

You make a terrible representation of Accounting as a choice of study.... With your type, studying Accounting (assuming you're the average graduate) is unadvisable if this is the quality Accounting breeds
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by LastProphet: 10:20am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Senseless to you, but have you asked yourself how the developed nations you cherish so much get to where they are now? Where do you think developed nations get the money they used to develop their nations aside mineral and human resources that you have in aboundance?

If you tax the rich the poor won't have to suffer.

Post your tax clearance let's see, we start from there
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by BlackyOne: 10:31am On Oct 12, 2021
Siwel25:

Will u say the same thing if it were Tinubu or Aregbesola? Hypocrisy everywhere!

Keep barking, just go through my comments on NL and you'll see that I don't give a fvck about any of these polithieficians or Tinubu and his cronies, irrespective of the region or party they belong
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by saajus: 10:42am On Oct 12, 2021
This is one of our problems in Nigeria. We always find ways to justify wrongdoings. That's why corruption keeps going in circles. . You do the right thing first and let's together tackle people stealing.
meccuno:
Senseless post.The one you have paid, what have you done with it.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by emmykk(m): 10:49am On Oct 12, 2021
mapet:

You make a terrible representation of Accounting as a choice of study.... With your type, studying Accounting (assuming you're the average graduate) is unadvisable if this is the quality Accounting breeds

Since you don't have any knowledge of Accounting the padorax leak on Peter Obi and any news about it should not have interest you because you are a novice to what is been discussed.
You should shut up,humble and appreciate what is been discuss instead of making fool of yourself in public forum
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Mftivi: 10:50am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

The question is, Since taxes are ment to cater for the development of a country as obtainable in developed nations, Why would our so called businessmen, politcians and clergymen chose to pay taxes "secretly" to economies of other countries while leaving the country they claim to love impoverished?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/487959-pandora-papers-global-investigation-exposes-secrets-of-some-of-nigerias-rich-and-powerful.html
lol, when you become a CEO or MD or any position that puts you in the position of handing a companies finances make sure you pay taxes you can avoid. Well you can't even become any of those with this mindset.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Mftivi: 10:52am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

"The difference is you are doing your business openly and paying the right taxes as when due, but our businessmen, politcians and clergymen are doing it secretly to cut corners...Why would you trust them if all they do is cut corners?

Now tell me, who is more learned on matters as this?". - Village People spokesperson.
this topic is above your mental prowess pick a lower topic maybe a classic Tonto dike topic.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Mftivi: 11:00am On Oct 12, 2021
MT:

The more you look, the less you see. Peter Obi was just trying to launder his image which has taken a hit.

Let the Govt takes him on, then you will see his hidden dirts in public. His explanation is not credible. We all know what and why they have secret accounts hidden in offshore accounts.
you don't know anything
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Mftivi: 11:03am On Oct 12, 2021
obailala:
Stop trying to mask your disdain for those men under the guise of some fake hypocritical patriotism. Nobody in the world, no matter how patriotic, would choose to pay double tax all because of patriotism - that would amount to sheer stupidity. Not even you woukd do that even if you had trillions.

For patriotism, they might choose to sponsor developmental projects or charities, but expecting a person to intentionally pay more taxes in their business, that's arrant nonsense.

By the way, what do you mean by saying those men are contributing to Nigeria's bad economy by not paying double taxes? You see why I said your personal disdain for those men is clouding your rationality?
you are referring to a non existent rationality.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by becky39000(m): 11:08am On Oct 12, 2021
meccuno:
Senseless post.The one you have paid, what have you done with it.

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by OsborneDynamic: 11:36am On Oct 12, 2021
These people push you guys up and down, and you reply without thinking. S9 someone cannot take his or her money and invest or buy properties in any country of their choice. they give you propaganda, and you guys will start spreading it without reasoning. did your govt come out to say the companies owned by these people evade taxes. Proxy slavery people.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Darkblood: 11:36am On Oct 12, 2021
This is a very funny talk, asking the govt to tax the rich is an envious statement. Let everyone pay tax that is bearable for them
KingOfAmebo:

Senseless to you, but have you asked yourself how the developed nations you cherish so much get to where they are now? Where do you think developed nations get the money they used to develop their nations aside mineral and human resources that you have in aboundance?

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Darkblood: 11:37am On Oct 12, 2021
He is very dull.
Validated:

Op, I earn my income in country my business situates and pay taxes there. If I earn income in Nigeria, I pay taxes to FIRS. If my investment in UK makes profit, why should I pay double, one to UK and another to Nigeria? You are not learned enough forthe topic you embarked on

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by kelly72: 11:41am On Oct 12, 2021
Tax evasion is a crime, tax avoidance is not a crime. Before your emotions run you amok about other people's legitimate money, ask yourself how much tax you pay to the country you claim to love.
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Crossroad1(m): 11:56am On Oct 12, 2021
Validated:

why take Nigerians money to invest in a foreign country?
All the monies being invested in other countries, where did they get them from?
Make we dey try reason before responding
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by space9880: 11:57am On Oct 12, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

money that buhari and his cohorts will share
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Crossroad1(m): 11:58am On Oct 12, 2021
ATEAMS:
The black elites hides funds they didn't work for ....while the white elite use the stolen funds for the betterment of their country and citizens
ko ni baje fun e broda mi
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 12, 2021
How can you pay Tax on the Money you stole from your own country undecided undecided undecided
Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by meccuno: 1:59pm On Oct 12, 2021
[quote author=becky39000 post=106669663][/quote]

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by meccuno: 2:00pm On Oct 12, 2021
Kingstanding:
. Because they mentioned your Papa's in the Lord's name,isn't? Weldone religious nutcase person.
grin grin

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by meccuno: 2:00pm On Oct 12, 2021
maoolakanm:

THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO WILL ACCUSE EVERY OTHER PERSON FOR THEIR WOES EXCEPT THEIR LOOTING AND CORRUPT LEADERS.

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by meccuno: 2:01pm On Oct 12, 2021
computer0810:

Foolish ppl......if tinubu was to be inside nw it will be meaningful to u
undecided

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by meccuno: 2:02pm On Oct 12, 2021
Damjoy:

The post was made for people with stable sense, not neophytes.
grin grin

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by meccuno: 2:03pm On Oct 12, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Yours is the senseless post.

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by meccuno: 2:04pm On Oct 12, 2021
potent5:

It's a stoopid post. Op wants someone to invest in this country without level playing field, where a rich few are given import waivers and allowed to have monopolies.

It's worse than a senseless post.
oya collect

Re: Pandora Papers: Why Avoiding Paying Taxes To A Country You Claim To Love? by 0m0nnakoda: 2:05pm On Oct 12, 2021
This is nothing to do with tax
Do not be fooled.

Nigerian tax laws are very clear so this sort of activity cannot be used for legitimate tax avoidance, not just in Nigeria but in most countries.

The fundamental issue here is our laws require certain public officials
1. To declare their assets, failure to do so in such situations is criminal
2. Not to operate foreign bank accounts. Non-adherence is criminal

Those are the issues

Bringing in tax is just a way to confuse the ignorant.
Tax is TOTALLY irrelevant here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Court Allows DSS To Detain Tukur Mamu For 60 More Days / Buhari, Osinbajo To Spend ₦11.92 Billion On Food, Foreign Trips / Reno Omokri Mocks Peter Obi Over His Visitation To Prominent PDP Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.