Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,955 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise (41382 Views)

Who Should Be A Man's Next Of Kin Between His Mum And His Wife? / The Meaning Of "Next Of Kin" / What The Law Says About Next-of-kin In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by AlphaT1(m): 9:12pm On Oct 13, 2021
Favfables:
In the absence of a will, the next inline to inherit a deadman properties is his next of kin...

And sometimes people use different names as next of kin for different stuff, for instance, when opening a bank account, I can use you as next of kin and then not use you as next or kin when I get a land(or make a business transaction)...

Their best bet is to know who the next of kin is in the individual property of the man...
Who told you this one na? When will Nigerians learn this next of kin stuff? Next of kin is just someone to be contacted in case of..... Where there is no will, the wife/children are the prime heirs. They just need to go to court and get letter of administration.
I was the next of kin to my late dad, but na my elder bros and mum go pursue letter of administration for Court. Me dey school de cram book. That letter cost dieeeeee.....
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Roseey0(f): 9:39pm On Oct 13, 2021
Next of kin is nothing. Let the children approach the court with their birth certificate proving they are biological children and the court will share the property equally while they forfeit 10% to govt and another % to the lawyer that will pursue the case.

They should be happy there is no will sef because if there was a will and their names were not mentioned in the will, nothing will grant them ownership of anything the man owns.
But in the absence of a will, biological children can approach the law to share it for them.

Next of Kin na for contact incase you die nothing more. .
Cc iyaebe

Another angle to this is that the man had a will and probably willed it to this old man because on a normal day, ordinary Next of kin no dey do gra gra reach like this. So I will recommend you all do your due diligence before dragging them to court.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Zaxbash1: 10:01pm On Oct 13, 2021
Teerach:

Sir, I apologize I'm going to quote you. I stand with this your point. I was waiting for someone to point this. And I'm sure this is the reason he didn't leave his properties for the first wife and her children. But since the mother married another wife for him, is the son also a christian?
Also if the second wife son is also a christian, then I understand where the man is coming from.
If as a christian woman, you married a muslim, you shouldn't deny the man's children from practicing his religion. If as a muslim woman, you marry a christian, you shouldn't deny the man's children from practicing his religion.
As for me, I don't start what I can't finish.
I no read ur quote but ion give a bleep about ur thinking on Islam
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Zaxbash1: 10:03pm On Oct 13, 2021
Teerach:

Sir, I apologize I'm going to quote you. I stand with this your point. I was waiting for someone to point this. And I'm sure this is the reason he didn't leave his properties for the first wife and her children. But since the mother married another wife for him, is the son also a christian?
Also if the second wife son is also a christian, then I understand where the man is coming from.
If as a christian woman, you married a muslim, you shouldn't deny the man's children from practicing his religion. If as a muslim woman, you marry a christian, you shouldn't deny the man's children from practicing his religion.
As for me, I don't start what I can't finish.
although I didn't support the man on failing his duty as father ... But according to Islamic ruling they can only inherit him of they are Muslims
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by AbuAeesha: 10:06pm On Oct 13, 2021
Iyaebe:
It is quite a long story please read and advise.

It is a case of a very toxic marriage between my late aunt and her late husband, the marriage was never approved by my late aunt's mother in-law and both she and her husband were of different religion (my aunt been a christian while her husband a muslim).

They eventually went ahead with the marriage anyways and that was the beginning of her miserable life with her husband, the husband wanted to convert her to islam which she strongly object to till her untimely death. The husband who is very learned (A renowned professor) and well to do man was kind of a puppet to his mom and they both made her life miserable in ways you won't ever imagine.

My aunt never had any of her four kids (all grown up now) in her husband's house as the man will chase her out each time she's due for delivery and will only allow her back after the intervention of his colleagues, the king other notable personalities. This was the condition that surrounded her during her child bearing years, needles to talk about the trauma she always go through during pregnancies and how her husband will always blame her for allowing herself to get pregnant.

He does not eat her meals neither do they ever discuss about anything, they were like sworn enemies living together as husband and wife. He was only responsible for her children's school fees while she took care of every other thing you could think of concerning her and her children, you will never believe she's the wife of this man on seeing her and the kids never had any atom of good memories with their dad.

Her husband had a son from another woman his mom married for him. My aunt continued staying married to this man despite all the advises given to her, she was strongly against divorce as a very strong Christian that she is (An S.U). That was how she lived her miserable life until her husband unfortunately died over a brief illness, after the burial her mother in-law called to ask her what she's still doing on earth and that won't she join her late husband, she also told her to get ready to join her husband soon and exactly two months after her husband's death, my aunt mysteriously fell and died on the Altar while praying in her church, exactly two months after my aunt's mother in-law died too.

The three of them (my aunt, her husband, her mother in-law) are all late. Things started unfolding after their deaths, this man was very rich and has properties everywhere of which my aunt and her children has no knowledge of, it didn't end there, my aunt's husband used an elderly man whom he's not related to in any way as his next of kin. Now this strange man he used as his next of kin has refused to release this man's money and properties to his children, though my aunt's kids have refused to have anything to do with their father's wealth stating that their mom gave them everything they ever needed in life.

Now remember I told you about a son he had with another woman, the said son is now fully back to reclaim all their father's wealth and possessions from this man but he has refused to let go of any, he has been dragged to the king, different group of organizations but all efforts to reclaim his father's wealth and possessions from this man proved abortive. This man(my late aunt's step son) came to meet my mom to help him talk to my aunt's children to get involved so they could claim back their dad's wealth and possessions from this man but they have strongly refused to be involved.

Please what do you advise? What steps should he take to reclaim their dad's wealth and possessions from this man, remember he was unfortunately used as the next of kin.Thanks.
i do feel sorry for ur cousins. but here is the fact.
as u claimed that her husband is a Muslim while she is a Christian.following the teachings of Islam the xtian spouse deserves utmost respect from her husband and at any instance she mustn't be forced to convert to Islam,but a non-muslim has no share of inheritance from the properties of a late Muslim.while the husband is alive he is allowed to give her a certain portion of his wealth as much as he wishes,probably that will even sustain her for a very long time.
so here, if the children are non-muslims sincerely and according to the Islamic jurisdictions that have no inheritance. by the way,Islam does not recognise any next of kin in terms of inheritance as the inheritance procedure have already been laid down by God as HE prescribed in the Muslim scripture.
wishing you best of luck!!!
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 13, 2021
AbuAeesha:

i do feel sorry for ur cousins. but here is the fact.
as u claimed that her husband is a Muslim while she is a Christian.following the teachings of Islam the xtian spouse deserves utmost respect from her husband and at any instance she mustn't be forced to convert to Islam,but a non-muslim has no share of inheritance from the properties of a late Muslim.while the husband is alive he is allowed to give her a certain portion of his wealth as much as he wishes,probably that will even sustain her for a very long time.
so here, if the children are non-muslims sincerely and according to the Islamic jurisdictions that have no inheritance. by the way,Islam does not recognise any next of kin in terms of inheritance as the inheritance procedure have already been laid down by God as HE prescribed in the Muslim scripture.
wishing you best of luck!!!
I never wanted to spill this aspect but thank God it didn't come from me.You are absolutely Right, he once told my late aunt that since she and her children refused to convert to islam then they should have nothing to do with him both alive and in death.I think my late aunt and her kids were OK with his decision hence the reason they have strongly refused to have anything to do with their dad's wealth.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Bundaweber: 10:52pm On Oct 13, 2021
Iyaebe:

It is a case of a very toxic marriage between my late aunt and her late husband, the marriage was never approved by my late aunt's mother in-law and both she and her husband were of different religion (my aunt been a christian while her husband a muslim).

They eventually went ahead with the marriage anyways and that was the beginning of her miserable life with her husband, the husband wanted to convert her to islam which she strongly object to till her untimely death. The husband who is very learned (A renowned professor) and well to do man was kind of a puppet to his mom and they both made her life miserable in ways you won't ever imagine.

My aunt never had any of her four kids (all grown up now) in her husband's house as the man will chase her out each time she's due for delivery and will only allow her back after the intervention of his colleagues, the king other notable personalities. This was the condition that surrounded her during her child bearing years, needles to talk about the trauma she always go through during pregnancies and how her husband will always blame her for allowing herself to get pregnant.

He does not eat her meals neither do they ever discuss about anything, they were like sworn enemies living together as husband and wife. He was only responsible for her children's school fees while she took care of every other thing you could think of concerning her and her children, you will never believe she's the wife of this man on seeing her and the kids never had any atom of good memories with their dad.

Her husband had a son from another woman his mom married for him. My aunt continued staying married to this man despite all the advises given to her, she was strongly against divorce as a very strong Christian that she is (An S.U). That was how she lived her miserable life until her husband unfortunately died over a brief illness, after the burial her mother in-law called to ask her what she's still doing on earth and that won't she join her late husband, she also told her to get ready to join her husband soon and exactly two months after her husband's death, my aunt mysteriously fell and died on the Altar while praying in her church, exactly two months after my aunt's mother in-law died too.

The three of them (my aunt, her husband, her mother in-law) are all late. Things started unfolding after their deaths, this man was very rich and has properties everywhere of which my aunt and her children has no knowledge of, it didn't end there, my aunt's husband used an elderly man whom he's not related to in any way as his next of kin. Now this strange man he used as his next of kin has refused to release this man's money and properties to his children, though my aunt's kids have refused to have anything to do with their father's wealth stating that their mom gave them everything they ever needed in life.

Now remember I told you about a son he had with another woman, the said son is now fully back to reclaim all their father's wealth and possessions from this man but he has refused to let go of any, he has been dragged to the king, different group of organizations but all efforts to reclaim his father's wealth and possessions from this man proved abortive. This man(my late aunt's step son) came to meet my mom to help him talk to my aunt's children to get involved so they could claim back their dad's wealth and possessions from this man but they have strongly refused to be involved.

Please what do you advise? What steps should he take to reclaim their dad's wealth and possessions from this man, remember he was unfortunately used as the next of kin.Thanks.

Similar events occured in my extended family and that's how we got to know that the next of kin actually means nothing when it comes to inheritance. If the late man did not leave a will stating he gave the stranger his property, that stranger is simply stealing. Let them hire a good lawyer and go to probate

1 Like

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by OgideAgu: 11:24pm On Oct 13, 2021
I will suggest you leave them alone. It's not by force. They survived with him and his wealth while he was alive, they will do better now self. Leave them alone, dragging that thing might lead to their untimely deaths.

1 Like

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by MeghaneMorgane(f): 11:26pm On Oct 13, 2021
Sorry for your aunt. It is that marriage that made her die before her time. Your aunt used her hand to cause problems for her kids. How will she open her two eyes and marry a family that likes trouble undecided. I hope the kids are able to resolve this matter

2 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Oyerinde16(m): 11:54pm On Oct 13, 2021
When the man is not Mad...

If the name on the next of kin is Abdulmalik Abubakar, and truly you are, and want to claim my dads property, I will let you know its not your Abdulmalim Abubakar, it is the Abdulmalik Abubakar from Sudan that is my fathers real next of kin... We will fight it to anywhere and I will start selling all the properties in front of your eyes... God punish any useless next of kin that will not play ball.

1 Like

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Babinski: 12:25am On Oct 14, 2021
Favfables:
In the absence of a will, the next inline to inherit a deadman properties is his next of kin...

And sometimes people use different names as next of kin for different stuff, for instance, when opening a bank account, I can use you as next of kin and then not use you as next or kin when I get a land(or make a business transaction)...

Their best bet is to know who the next of kin is in the individual property of the man...

The assumption that a next of kin automatically inherits from anyone that dies intestate or without a will is an assumption that is erroneous and without legal basis!

Read the article on the link below where a lawyer carefully explains the rights, responsibilities and limitations of a next of kin legally.

If the old man who calls himself next of kin is proving difficult the children should approach a Court of competent jurisdiction to get an order against the man and take possession of their deceased father's assets. If any man dies intestate or without a will it is the spouse and children that have rights to his inheritance!!!

https://thenigerialawyer.com/next-of-kin-understanding-the-rights-responsibilities-and-limitation-of-a-next-of-kin/

1 Like

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by FKMagazine(m): 5:51am On Oct 14, 2021
Hnmmm

My own dad shared his house to all his children, but he refused to give me a place (a single room) in the building as a man in the family, but gave some of my sisters who had already built mansions or duplexes.
Perhaps, I happen to be the last born

Chai, in some quarters, last born dey suffer o...
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Oracleforce: 7:20am On Oct 14, 2021
Mamayam:

And is the children inheriting not free lunch?
Op has stated the man had a will which should be respected.

Before you responded callously....put yourself in their shoe

Dumbass
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Teerach: 7:36am On Oct 14, 2021
Zaxbash1:
although I didn't support the man on failing his duty as father ... But according to Islamic ruling they can only inherit him of they are Muslims
I understand you sir.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by DrDax: 7:53am On Oct 14, 2021
Favfables:

That is not true sir!

Next of Kin has nothing to do with inheritance!

In the absence of a will, the family meets and appoints an Administrator (usually one of the sons) backed by a letter signed by all concerned.

The Administrator approaches the bank and submits the "Death Certificate" after which he is given the account balances of all the dead man's accounts.

The Administrator takes this info to the courts and fills all necessary documentation and is then empowered by the courts to gain access to these accounts.

The bank subsequently converts all these accounts to "Estate Account" with the Administrator as "signatory to the accounts".

The government takes 10% of whatever money is in these accounts.

As for the properties, contact a lawyer once the bank accounts are secured.

Under the law, you have become the rightful owner of whatever the man owns, with proof of documentation.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by DrDax: 7:55am On Oct 14, 2021
Iyaebe:

Read my response above and take action.

Nothing ever works by going to these monarchs. They are powerless and clueless.

1 Like

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Mamayam: 8:24am On Oct 14, 2021
Oracleforce:

Before you responded callously....put yourself in their shoe

Dumbass
And who is the dumbass here? The Father clearly didn't want any of his children to inherit his property. It is not their right. Op said he wrote a will. Let them read out the content of the will. If it says all the property goes to the next of kin, then so be it.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Lokojatoofar: 9:32am On Oct 14, 2021
Nigerian women too like that Mrs Title.
She lived and died a Mrs. That is enough gain for her and her children. They should allow next of kin to enjoy as God has given him the wealth of the foolish. Its in the bible.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by EndRape2(f): 11:29am On Oct 14, 2021
In the story all I can is
1. Please ladies no not ever marry a mummy's boy,
You see any man that is married , and the mother is still controlling, interferring , in his affair, and also asking questions about everything happening in his marriage, please run away from such marriage, the truth is most of such mothers that have control over their sons are witch,they have dedicated that son to their coven, it sis not a battle you can face , it is not a battle you should face at all.

please run. Most mummy boys are the spiritual wives of their mother ,

Now my second advice
Africa is a religion and traditional country, do not marry a religion or tribe as a woman that you will not want to adhere too.
Your aunt made a mistake marrying a Muslim, knowing fully well she will not participate in his religion, except she made her stand know to the man, that she will not be participating in his religion from the beggining , and the man accepted .

Banks have billions from stupid and idiotic men that have refused to make their kids /wife next of kin,
So many are using their mother,
May we not marry useless being under spiritual cage of their mother.

My advice tell your children to neglect the step son
He should go and drag the property alone, so that the baba can kill him,

Can't he go work for his money?

What is he doing with the property of a useless man that refused to his children name as next of kin.

The children should forget his existence

Never celebrate him
Never do remembrance for him

If possible burn everything he has worked for and put the ashes in his burial ground .
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Nobody: 12:23pm On Oct 14, 2021
EndRape2:
In the story all I can is
1. Please ladies no not ever marry a mummy's boy,
You see any man that is married , and the mother is still controlling, interferring , in his affair, and also asking questions about everything happening in his marriage, please run away from such marriage, the truth is most of such mothers that have control over their sons are witch,they have dedicated that son to their coven, it sis not a battle you can face , it is not a battle you should face at all.

please run. Most mummy boys are the spiritual wives of their mother ,

Now my second advice
Africa is a religion and traditional country, do not marry a religion or tribe as a woman that you will not want to adhere too.
Your aunt made a mistake marrying a Muslim, knowing fully well she will not participate in his religion, except she made her stand know to the man, that she will not be participating in his religion from the beggining , and the man accepted .

Banks have billions from stupid and idiotic men that have refused to make their kids /wife next of kin,
So many are using their mother,
May we not marry useless being under spiritual cage of their mother.

My advice tell your children to neglect the step son
He should go and drag the property alone, so that the baba can kill him,

Can't he go work for his money?

What is he doing with the property of a useless man that refused to his children name as next of kin.

The children should forget his existence

Never celebrate him
Never do remembrance for him

If possible burn everything he has worked for and put the ashes in his burial ground .

You perfectly understand the situation, my late aunt's mother in-law was a witch,you need to see how he controls and run the home of a well respected prof,at a point my aunt told him that she's not sure he really schooled abroad and he answered her that even if he school and breath abroad, his mother will always have her way.I learnt from comments here yesterday that Muslims do not share their wealth with a non Muslim, be it wife or kids,so he see his wife and kids as unbelievers. Before they got married my mom told me that the prof agreed that he won't force my aunt to change her religion and that she's free to practice her religion, I guess he deceived her on that.

2 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by SavageResponse(m): 4:10pm On Oct 14, 2021
eldoradoxx:
A Next of Kin does not mean right of inheritance in any way. A next of kin is simply a person appointed by a person while alive whom all issues relating to him may be contacted for information. It is as simple as that. That you were made next of kin does not translate that the man has given you a kobo of his property. A person can be a next of kin without inheriting a dime from the estate of a dead person while others who were not inherit. The man here is a usurper that needs to be shown the way out of the estate for the legitimate children to inherit what is theirs. Just contact a lawyer and he knows exactly what to do.

They need a lawyer who is experienced in these matters, not just any lawyer
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by SavageResponse(m): 4:13pm On Oct 14, 2021
FKMagazine:
Hnmmm

My own dad shared his house to all his children, but he refused to give me a place (a single room) in the building as a man in the family, but gave some of my sisters who had already built mansions or duplexes.
Perhaps, I happen to be the last born

Chai, in some quarters, last born dey suffer o...

Maybe you gave the man too much headache so he decided to punish you grin
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Bunmhi(f): 9:22pm On Oct 14, 2021
I'll advice your aunt's children not get involved in fighting for any properties. Their father has his reasons for willing his properties to a stranger.

2 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by BluntCrazeMan: 4:04am On Oct 18, 2021
Iyaebe:

SUCH AN ILLITERATE PROFESSOR.!!
THE CHILDREN ARE SMART.
TELL THAT YOUNG MAN THAT THE FIGHT HE IS FIGHTING IS BEYOND HIM.
BUT IF HE INSIST ON FIGHTING, THEN LET HIM CONTINUE TO FIGHT IT ALONE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by saysoo: 2:26pm On Apr 15, 2023
AlphaT1:

Who told you this one na? When will Nigerians learn this next of kin stuff? Next of kin is just someone to be contacted in case of..... Where there is no will, the wife/children are the prime heirs. They just need to go to court and get letter of administration.
I was the next of kin to my late dad, but na my elder bros and mum go pursue letter of administration for Court. Me dey school de cram book. That letter cost dieeeeee.....
Google or Dictionary can help you please. Do not teach your children these things.
Next of Kin is a blood relation biko, then the law found a way to incorporate the spouses and it is not a must cause there is a meaning.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Pacesetter2021: 4:27pm On Apr 15, 2023
This is what I have to say.

How will someone, being a "strong christian" decide to go completely opposite of what the bible says?

The bible warns us to not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.

She disobeyed God and chose wilderness to promise land. As a result perpetual suffering is inevitable. I speak from experience on the same matter.

If you as a strong believer,who decides to go opposite direction of the word of God, you will suffer in no small way.

That's unfortunate but true.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Physically-Challenged Man Crawls With Wife To Dedicate Baby In Delta Church / Nigerian Couple Celebrating Their 50th Wedding Anniversary To / Man Sues In-laws For Giving Him Already Pregnant Daughter In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.