Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,529 members, 7,823,306 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise (41418 Views)

Who Should Be A Man's Next Of Kin Between His Mum And His Wife? / The Meaning Of "Next Of Kin" / What The Law Says About Next-of-kin In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by DoggoneDogg: 3:59pm On Oct 13, 2021
Nairalanders and wicked advice sef
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Ola17: 3:59pm On Oct 13, 2021
In the event that this story isn’t the figment of the op’s fertile imagination…

though my aunt's kids have refused to have anything to do with their father's wealth stating that their mom gave them everything they ever needed in life.

Since your cousins, your only surviving relative in the union, isn’t interested in reclaiming the properties why not move on?
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Tonyspecial(m): 3:59pm On Oct 13, 2021
F
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Morris101686(m): 4:00pm On Oct 13, 2021
That's goddamn bullshit. Let peace follow with them
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by sweerychick(f): 4:00pm On Oct 13, 2021
I will strongly advice you to forget that beasts of a family and allow whoever that wants to claim your late aunt's husband property do..
What even baffles me is the fact your late aunt still held on in the marriage despite all her traumatic challenge.. I'm even happy that her kids are sensible enough not to have anything to do with their dad's property. Imagine being told that you would die exactly two months after your husband death and it came to past!.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by airsaylongcome: 4:01pm On Oct 13, 2021
Favfables:
In the absence of a will, the next inline to inherit a deadman properties is his next of kin...

Any legal reference for this? I'm almost certain that NOK don't have automatic rights over the properties of a deceased who dies intestate. At least not from my experience with banks

6 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by PointZerom: 4:01pm On Oct 13, 2021
Favfables:
In the absence of a will, the next inline to inherit a deadman properties is his next of kin...

And sometimes people use different names as next of kin for different stuff, for instance, when opening a bank account, I can use you as next of kin and then not use you as next or kin when I get a land(or make a business transaction)...

Their best bet is to know who the next of kin is in the individual property of the man...
Next of kin is not a guarantee to inherit the property. It is just contact base incase anything happens to the owner.

6 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by 0m0nnakoda: 4:01pm On Oct 13, 2021
Favfables:

And sometimes people use different names as next of kin for different stuff, for instance, when opening a bank account, I can use you as next of kin and then not use you as next or kin when I get a land(or make a business transaction)...

Their best bet is to know who the next of kin is in the individual property of the man...
There is nothing like "Next of kin" in Nigerian Law
It has no relevance despite almost ubiquitous misconception

A next of kin is merely someone to contact if there is some kind or accident/emergency .

If there is no will then in this case Sharia law or Customary law would apply

@ Topic

The dead man could not take all these properties on his journey? Haba!!

That should be a lesson to those thinking of starting a fight

5 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by descarado: 4:04pm On Oct 13, 2021
Very foolish and stupid aunt.
I stopped where he will send her out when pregnant and after delivery bring her back because people intervened.
You all that are part of her family are also, gosh, don't know the adjective to use.

Nonsense.

I only pity the kids that didn't pray to be brought into the world by u selfish people.

A man that never regarded you as anything, pray tell me, what were you doing in his house?
Was she a slave?
Even slaves sometimes defy their masters.

4 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by richmond500: 4:04pm On Oct 13, 2021
Iyaebe:
They are all above 18 sir,the man has been summoned by the king and other organizations but he has refused to let go,he's behaving as if fortunes smiled on him.Its a very serious case.
how about this?

The late father wanted to bring his family together so he had to play next of kin with this strange man, the children will come together and fight and later become a one big love-filled family, the man will reveal that it was all a way to bring them together as one big family

Too much Nollywood no go kill me

6 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Yankee101: 4:04pm On Oct 13, 2021
The owners of the wealth are not interested? What is your own? You wan die on top another person matter?

3 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by BRATISLAVA: 4:05pm On Oct 13, 2021
Favfables:

This is the most misleading post on this thread. And it is the first one. If they listen to you, they are going to be worse than sheep in a storm.

What do you know about inheritance laws in Nigeria? How did you come up with your post?

This is how people come for advice and are told misleading things by inexperienced people, and they go home and practice them on their wives, children and parents.

7 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Yankee101: 4:05pm On Oct 13, 2021
Write and update your will every single year.

Give a copy to your lawyer and bankers, not the beneficiaries though
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by PointZerom: 4:05pm On Oct 13, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Any legal reference for this?

Don't mind him, get a lawyer and sue that man. Next of kin is just like a guarantor, unless the man said his next of kin should inherit his property if not the biological children should take over the property.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by rex21: 4:06pm On Oct 13, 2021
Iyaebe:
It is quite a long story please read and advise.

It is a case of a very toxic marriage between my late aunt and her late husband, the marriage was never approved by my late aunt's mother in-law and both she and her husband were of different religion (my aunt been a christian while her husband a muslim).

They eventually went ahead with the marriage anyways and that was the beginning of her miserable life with her husband, the husband wanted to convert her to islam which she strongly object to till her untimely death. The husband who is very learned (A renowned professor) and well to do man was kind of a puppet to his mom and they both made her life miserable in ways you won't ever imagine.

My aunt never had any of her four kids (all grown up now) in her husband's house as the man will chase her out each time she's due for delivery and will only allow her back after the intervention of his colleagues, the king other notable personalities. This was the condition that surrounded her during her child bearing years, needles to talk about the trauma she always go through during pregnancies and how her husband will always blame her for allowing herself to get pregnant.

He does not eat her meals neither do they ever discuss about anything, they were like sworn enemies living together as husband and wife. He was only responsible for her children's school fees while she took care of every other thing you could think of concerning her and her children, you will never believe she's the wife of this man on seeing her and the kids never had any atom of good memories with their dad.

Her husband had a son from another woman his mom married for him. My aunt continued staying married to this man despite all the advises given to her, she was strongly against divorce as a very strong Christian that she is (An S.U). That was how she lived her miserable life until her husband unfortunately died over a brief illness, after the burial her mother in-law called to ask her what she's still doing on earth and that won't she join her late husband, she also told her to get ready to join her husband soon and exactly two months after her husband's death, my aunt mysteriously fell and died on the Altar while praying in her church, exactly two months after my aunt's mother in-law died too.

The three of them (my aunt, her husband, her mother in-law) are all late. Things started unfolding after their deaths, this man was very rich and has properties everywhere of which my aunt and her children has no knowledge of, it didn't end there, my aunt's husband used an elderly man whom he's not related to in any way as his next of kin. Now this strange man he used as his next of kin has refused to release this man's money and properties to his children, though my aunt's kids have refused to have anything to do with their father's wealth stating that their mom gave them everything they ever needed in life.

Now remember I told you about a son he had with another woman, the said son is now fully back to reclaim all their father's wealth and possessions from this man but he has refused to let go of any, he has been dragged to the king, different group of organizations but all efforts to reclaim his father's wealth and possessions from this man proved abortive. This man(my late aunt's step son) came to meet my mom to help him talk to my aunt's children to get involved so they could claim back their dad's wealth and possessions from this man but they have strongly refused to be involved.

Please what do you advise? What steps should he take to reclaim their dad's wealth and possessions from this man, remember he was unfortunately used as the next of kin.Thanks.

Leave dog wey dey sleep.
Your nephews stated clearly that their mother gave them all they needed, they do not want their father's properties. If your nephews are above 18 yrs, comot hand for the matter. Simple. This world is too deep to drink panadol for another man headache

6 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by femi4: 4:09pm On Oct 13, 2021
Iyaebe:

It is a case of a very toxic marriage between my late aunt and her late husband, the marriage was never approved by my late aunt's mother in-law and both she and her husband were of different religion (my aunt been a christian while her husband a muslim).

They eventually went ahead with the marriage anyways and that was the beginning of her miserable life with her husband, the husband wanted to convert her to islam which she strongly object to till her untimely death. The husband who is very learned (A renowned professor) and well to do man was kind of a puppet to his mom and they both made her life miserable in ways you won't ever imagine.

My aunt never had any of her four kids (all grown up now) in her husband's house as the man will chase her out each time she's due for delivery and will only allow her back after the intervention of his colleagues, the king other notable personalities. This was the condition that surrounded her during her child bearing years, needles to talk about the trauma she always go through during pregnancies and how her husband will always blame her for allowing herself to get pregnant.

He does not eat her meals neither do they ever discuss about anything, they were like sworn enemies living together as husband and wife. He was only responsible for her children's school fees while she took care of every other thing you could think of concerning her and her children, you will never believe she's the wife of this man on seeing her and the kids never had any atom of good memories with their dad.

Her husband had a son from another woman his mom married for him. My aunt continued staying married to this man despite all the advises given to her, she was strongly against divorce as a very strong Christian that she is (An S.U). That was how she lived her miserable life until her husband unfortunately died over a brief illness, after the burial her mother in-law called to ask her what she's still doing on earth and that won't she join her late husband, she also told her to get ready to join her husband soon and exactly two months after her husband's death, my aunt mysteriously fell and died on the Altar while praying in her church, exactly two months after my aunt's mother in-law died too.

The three of them (my aunt, her husband, her mother in-law) are all late. Things started unfolding after their deaths, this man was very rich and has properties everywhere of which my aunt and her children has no knowledge of, it didn't end there, my aunt's husband used an elderly man whom he's not related to in any way as his next of kin. Now this strange man he used as his next of kin has refused to release this man's money and properties to his children, though my aunt's kids have refused to have anything to do with their father's wealth stating that their mom gave them everything they ever needed in life.

Now remember I told you about a son he had with another woman, the said son is now fully back to reclaim all their father's wealth and possessions from this man but he has refused to let go of any, he has been dragged to the king, different group of organizations but all efforts to reclaim his father's wealth and possessions from this man proved abortive. This man(my late aunt's step son) came to meet my mom to help him talk to my aunt's children to get involved so they could claim back their dad's wealth and possessions from this man but they have strongly refused to be involved.

Please what do you advise? What steps should he take to reclaim their dad's wealth and possessions from this man, remember he was unfortunately used as the next of kin.Thanks.
lolz, you can't win the case even if you take it to heaven. You can only persuade the man to release some of the properties. Using force will not work cos as a next of Kin, he's the sole ownership of everything
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by jjshanana: 4:11pm On Oct 13, 2021
Since he was a Muslim, a Sharia court might help… is the man with the properties also a Muslim?
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 13, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

This is the most misleading post on this thread. And it is the first one. If they listen to you, they are going to be worse than sheep in a storm.

What do you know about inheritance laws in Nigeria? How did you come up with your post?

This is how people come for advice and are told misleading things by inexperienced people, and they go home and practice them on their wives, children and parents.

Please enlighten me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by lalalista: 4:11pm On Oct 13, 2021
Why are they all dying exactly 2 months later?
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Robinson155(m): 4:12pm On Oct 13, 2021
Iyaebe:

It must be noted that appointment of a next of Kin is not a substitute to the making of a valid WILL. The reason is because, when a person dies testate (that is, the person made a valid Will), the matter of next of kin is of no relevance. The estate of a deceased person who dies testate is distributed strictly according to the Will. Thus, his next of kin will only be entiled to his estate, if the WILL says so.

On the other hand, in a situation where the deceased died intestate (that is, without making a valid Will), the question of the distribution of his estate is governed by the law. The customary law/Islamic law or the Administration of Estate Law will apply depending on the kind of marriage contracted by the deceased. In other words, if the deceased contracted a statutory marriage (popularly known as court marriage), the distribution of his estate shall be governed by either the English Law or the Administration of Estate Law. See OBUZEZ V OBUZEZ (2007) 10 NWLR (Pt.1043) 430. It must be noted that the Administration of Estate Law provides for the order of inheritance which must be complied with strictly and a next of kin, is not among the categories of those entitled to inheritance in this instance.

In other words, Succession is regulated by law
So
Get a lawyer physically
This is my advice

7 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by pappilo(m): 4:13pm On Oct 13, 2021
Favfables:

Absolute rubbish and a somewhat illiterate write up.

Read up on Obusez v Obusez (2007). If a man dies intestate and is married, his assets will be shared between his surviving wife and children (including those borne out of wedlock). No next of kin rubbish or customary law BS.

3 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by BarrElChapo(m): 4:13pm On Oct 13, 2021
Iyaebe:

When a person dies he dies either testate (with a will left behind) or intestate (without a will) now in dealing with the above the law is that only the administrators and executors of a person can manage his/her estate. Next of kin is alien to our jurisprudence.
What the children should do is that they should apply for letters of administration to be issued them, they'll automatically assume control of those properties.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by PointZerom: 4:13pm On Oct 13, 2021
0m0nnakoda:
There is nothing like "Next of kin" in Nigerian Law
It has no relevance despite almost ubiquitous misconception

A next of kin is merely someone to contact if there is some kind or accident/emergency .

If there is no will then in this case Sharia law or Customary law would apply

@ Topic

The dead man could not take all these properties on his journey? Haba!!

That should be a lesson to those thinking of starting a fight
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by SeyeMan(m): 4:14pm On Oct 13, 2021
Favfables:

Which kind arrogant, ignorant and wrong advice be this? You don't know things work, but rush to conclude that it's the next of kin. The person in question should approach the state high court where his father died to apply for letter of administration. There is priority of persons that can be appointed to manage the estate of a deceased person who had no will. Next of Kin nikan ko, best man ni! grin

1 Like

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Goldiness: 4:14pm On Oct 13, 2021
Iyaebe:

Talk to a lawyer and see how help can come into it.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by elbaraj2020(m): 4:14pm On Oct 13, 2021
Iyaebe:

When we advice our christian girls against marrying other religion, they tell you love is blind as if they are the once that know what love is, they allow their so- called love cloud their sense of logical reasoning, while the other religion's girls will never allow relationship develop to the stage of marriage except you will fully convert to their religion and it works in most cases but our women..just because of the little money and some fairy tale promises made by the guy, the girls can denounce anything n anyone just to be with the guy...I hope most of them reading this will learn from ur late Aunty's ordeal...once the family don't accept you just walk away, you see this love? You will find it somewhere, if it doesn't work with Tunde, it will work with james...dnt cage ur life to some family that will kill u before ur time....
And as for the kids, they should put their heads together, get a good lawyer, am sure there will be a legal Lacuna that can be exploited....thank you....

6 Likes

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Gudbadguy: 4:15pm On Oct 13, 2021
The only advise I go give is u shud not fight for properties without spiritual protection if not you go enter ground

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by Funpeter: 4:15pm On Oct 13, 2021
That old man go use the money train him own children, but why are some people wicked? Why can't him just correct the man mistake and give the properties to the children.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by igahdavid(m): 4:15pm On Oct 13, 2021
Iyaebe:

If they are interested in their late fathers properties, let them go to court. Next of Kin no get any legal right to claim anything.

Next of kin na just person to call or reach out to in case the main person can not be reached

1 Like

Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by juniorstar(m): 4:16pm On Oct 13, 2021
Wait being next of kin doesn't mean this so called old man is aware of all his properties..I made my sibling my next of kin but my said sibling isn't aware..so how is is feeling on top of the world for properties he doesnt even know the full extent..he is not living in the house with the late man..they should av seized the entire documents and kept.
Re: Next Of Kin Issues: A stranger Has Taken Over His Dad's properties Please Advise by SeyeMan(m): 4:16pm On Oct 13, 2021
femi4:
lolz, you can't win the case even if you take it to heaven. You can only persuade the man to release some of the properties. Using force will not work cos as a next of Kin, he's the sole ownership of everything

Na wah o! See someone spewing abosolute ignorance with open chest! grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

One Question To Ask your Girl-child Before Investing On Her Tertiary Education. / Father Impregnates Daughter In Nasarawa (Photo) / How Lady Saved A Chronic Drunk's Life In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.