Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,855 members, 7,813,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project (1403 Views)

Iphone 15 Will Use USB Type-c Port And Charger / EU Agrees Single Mobile Charging Port In Blow To Apple. / See Iphone 12 New 2020 Designs Here They’re Actually Beautiful (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project by gbolahan1(m): 12:03am On Oct 13, 2021
Just because Apple refuses to make the switch to USB-C on its phones doesn’t mean all users are left despaired. Enter Ken Pillonel - a Master’s degree student of robotics at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) who single-handedly converted a regular Lightning-equipped iPhone X into the first Apple smartphone with a USB-C port. He did so after a few months of work and recently shared the final working product in a YouTube Shorts video on his channel.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=iphone+with+working+usb-c+port+on+youtube&qpvt=iphone+with+working+usb-c+port+on+youtube&FORM=VDRE

The video shows the phone with its modified charging port which manages to recognize a MacBook USB-C charger as a power source and also handles data transfer when connected to the laptop. The marvelous feat required reverse-engineering Apple’s C94 connector which allowed Pillonel to create a custom PCB with a female USB-C port.

The initial concept was too large to fit inside the phone and required months of tinkering until the component was able to fit inside the iPhone enclosure and work properly. A full video detailing the process is in the works and will be posted on YouTube.

Source: gsmarena.com

Re: See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project by Flamees(m): 6:33am On Oct 13, 2021
Wow wow

4 Likes

Re: See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project by OneGeek(m): 11:11am On Oct 13, 2021
This by force, by force USB thingy sef. Ever wondered why iPhones remain the last holdout on the lightning port? Well that's because USB-C standards are quite old at this point, and Apple helped develop it.

Now, imagine if Apple caved in and put USB in their phones. When would they then switch over to a newer technology (which would be soon)? What happens to the USB cables when they move to the next one? Imagine what happens when the move from Lightning port>>USB>>Next incoming charging standard for the same consumers who want to use "one cable for all their appliances".

People would have to make three transitions, and the company is trying to keep it to two: lightning>>next charging standard. But y'all are hellbent on having a decade-old USB-C standard on "everything".
Re: See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project by NuclearReactor: 4:27pm On Oct 13, 2021
OneGeek:
This by force, by force USB thingy sef. Ever wondered why iPhones remain the last holdout on the lightning port? Well that's because USB-C standards are quite old at this point, and Apple helped develop it.

Now, imagine if Apple caved in and put USB in their phones. When would they then switch over to a newer technology (which would be soon)? What happens to the USB cables when they move to the next one? Imagine what happens when the move from Lightning port>>USB>>Next incoming charging standard for the same consumers who want to use "one cable for all their appliances".

People would have to make three transitions, and the company is trying to keep it to two: lightning>>next charging standard. But y'all are hellbent on having a decade-old USB-C standard on "everything".
Please how are USB C standards Old??

3 Likes

Re: See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project by KJtemi: 4:43pm On Oct 13, 2021
NuclearReactor:

leave the idiot
Lightening cable can't do what USB type c cables do and they can't achieve their charging speeds

If it was old why would every new gadget Including iPads come with one

4 Likes

Re: See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project by OneGeek(m): 4:48pm On Oct 13, 2021
NuclearReactor:

USB-C came out in August 2014. Incidentally, Apple had design inputs by the time, and started including the standard in their MacBooks. If you type "when did USB C come out" on Google, just go through the articles you'd find on the first page.

Now, ever since then, it's been one messy upgrade to the other. Once you get technical with the USB C standard, you see how terribly inconsistent it can be: from the naming to the data and power transfer speeds. Everything is just all over the place.

Back to Apple. This is a company that got rid of every other ports on some of their MacBook lineups for USB-C. Does that look like they hate the thing? I don't think so.

Say the USB-IF (the body responsible for setting USB port standards) finally got their acts right and bring out another sensible port tomorrow. Other devices simply change from USB to the new one. Apple? It would be lightning to USB to the new one. Haba.
Re: See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project by OneGeek(m): 5:03pm On Oct 13, 2021
KJtemi:
leave the idiot
Lightening cable can't do what USB type f cables do and they can't achieve their charging speeds

If it was old why would every new gadget Including iPads come with one

Sorry bro, USB C isn't magically faster because it's USB-C. I bet you didn't know USB-C can still be USB 2.0 just like Micro USB, and Micro USB can be USB 3.1 which is faster than a 2.0 USB C.

Like I said, USB standards are all over the place. Read up.

Now, you mention iPads. If anything, the fact that the iPad has USB-C, doesn't that sound to you like a company willing to compromise on the thing? iPad pros use a 3.1 gen 2 USB C standard, which is just fine but more importantly, it's because they can get away with it.

Apple is literally enjoying a monopoly in the tablet segment, so they can use USB C "like everyone else" if it would help sales.

But you're asking them to use USB on their most profitable and innovative iPhones just for convenience, which won't pay anyone in the next 5 years. Why? Probably USB C 3.1. Gen 3 type XYZ is out by then, and the people that buy would still complain if their current USB C cords doesn't work by then.

Android phones can change anyhow, because their market is bigger. Apple can't. It's just got 4 phone models every year, there's no room for fickle changes. Sales would drop and that's it. They go home.
Re: See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project by erekking(m): 6:20pm On Oct 13, 2021
OneGeek:

Sorry bro, USB C isn't magically faster because it's USB-C. I bet you didn't know USB-C can still be USB 2.0 just like Micro USB, and Micro USB can be USB 3.1 which is faster than a 2.0 USB C.

Like I said, USB standards are all over the place. Read up.

Now, you mention iPads. If anything, the fact that the iPad has USB-C, doesn't that sound to you like a company willing to compromise on the thing? iPad pros use a 3.1 gen 2 USB C standard, which is just fine but more importantly, it's because they can get away with it.

Apple is literally enjoying a monopoly in the tablet segment, so they can use USB C "like everyone else" if it would help sales.

But you're asking them to use USB on their most profitable and innovative iPhones just for convenience, which won't pay anyone in the next 5 years. Why? Probably USB C 3.1. Gen 3 type XYZ is out by then, and the people that buy would still complain if their current USB C cords doesn't work by then.

Android phones can change anyhow, because their market is bigger. Apple can't. It's just got 4 phone models every year, there's no room for fickle changes. Sales would drop and that's it. They go home.
Kai, my bro too much knowledge grin, but u fail to understand why people clamour for uniformity, it's not about raw specs only really, but even if it's by raw specs, USB C is still ultimately superior to micro b and lightning port, why you may ask, well it's because of physical constraints (you can Google it, I can't get into it) which plagues the latter both. USB C offers charging speed the other two can't, sure there are 3.1 micro b enabled speeds(goodluck finding the cords for those ports easily) but micro b is not great for modern fast charging, not as durable as USB C, and the reversible shape of USB C is the final nail in micro b's coffin.
Now you were saying that perhaps apple is waiting for improved USB C before implementing it? I would say you were wrong, it's simply about the money( you can also Google how much they rake in due to lightning port royalties so you can see why) beside it's like saying that because mobile camera technology or standards now for example is not good enough so apple should not upgrade to the best that is available now and they should wait so it gets better before they implement it. USB C is better than lightning port and apple should implement for uniformity and convenience for users. Also If apple were to implement USB C, they would use the cutting edge and latest version which would be fast and usable for the next 5 to 6 years which is the considerable usable lifespan of an iphone. what I'm really saying is the universal nature or uniformity of USB C is what apple should consider, think about it, for example if you had a car made by apple and because of that your fuel nozzle port on the car is different because it gives them more money grin grin meanwhile you are suffering in silence because it's apple and they know what's best.

4 Likes

Re: See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project by OneGeek(m): 7:15pm On Oct 13, 2021
erekking:
Kai, my bro too much knowledge grin, but u fail to understand why people clamour for uniformity, it's not about raw specs only really, but even if it's by raw specs, USB C is still ultimately superior to micro b and lightning port, why you may ask, well it's because of physical constraints (you can Google it, I can't get into it) which plagues the latter both. USB C offers charging speed the other two can't, sure there are 3.1 micro b enabled speeds(goodluck finding the cords for those ports easily) but micro b is not great for modern fast charging, not as durable as USB C, and the reversible shape of USB C is the final nail in micro b's coffin.
Now you were saying that perhaps apple is waiting for improved USB C before implementing it? I would say you were wrong, it's simply about the money( you can also Google how much they rake in due to lightning port royalties so you can see why) beside it's like saying that because mobile camera technology or standards now for example is not good enough so apple should not upgrade to the best that is available now and they should wait so it gets better before they implement it. USB C is better than lightning port and apple should implement for uniformity and convenience for users. Also If apple were to implement USB C, they would use the cutting edge and latest version which would be fast and usable for the next 5 to 6 years which is the considerable usable lifespan of an iphone. what I'm really saying is the universal nature or uniformity of USB C is what apple should consider, think about it, for example if you had a car made by apple and because of that your fuel nozzle port on the car is different because it gives them more money grin grin meanwhile you are suffering in silence because it's apple and they know what's best.

Finally, someone whose argument I can actually relate with.

You're correct about the whole uniformity thing, especially for consumers who are being asked to drop $$$$ for a mobile phone. Common courtesy demands they at least make life less cumbersome.

But hear me out.

Maybe it's just me, but the joy of consumer products is having the company "lead you on" with features: letting them surprise you with features.

What features are they going to keep? Which ones would they ditch? Would I like it? Would I not? That's the joy of buying consumer electronics in my opinion.

Until recently, Samsung always gave the users predictable things, and that meant you always looked forward to the "next best thing". Consumer wise, that's great. But for them, they'd spend lots and lots of R&grin money trying to please consumers insatiable wants.

But such strategy is not sustainable in a capitalist market - Android or not - and they found that out. They tried to backtrack, but it misfired. The people already have an appetite for getting what they want. S21 with a 1080p screen was a flop. Stocks took a hit. You get the gist?

I feel Apple wouldn't want that. Especially when they don't make more than 4 iPhone models each year. If they threw all fan favorites in at once now, what would be left to do next? Remember, they're the ones the industry copies, they don't copy anyone. What would they do? Invent new stuff? Matter go just be like LG. Innovation and experiments that wasn't making sales.

Here's the fun part.

Apple actually has a nice plan ahead.

Remember Magsafe and how Apple is mute about it for now? Think about it. You don't like lightning. But MagSafe uses USB C. So you use Magsafe to charge your iPhone for now.

Next, they boost MagSafe's charging speed and optimise it. Then make the iPhone model portless. Now you don't have to worry about lightning, and they don't take a huge L by forcing lightning owners to buy USB-C. Everybody uses MagSafe and USB C.

See move!

That's the kind of thing the industry hypocritically wait to copy. Because it's pro business move! Look at wireless earbuds, tell me they would be a thing if a company didn't go against "people's desires" and deleted the headphone jack. They got mocked for it, but see the results now. Literally every phone manufacturer has its wireless earbuds (except maybe Motorola, that company sha wants to commit suicide by force)

1 Like

Re: See Iphone X Outfitted With Working USB-C Port In Spectacular DIY Project by exclusivesam53: 5:09pm On Oct 14, 2021
Makes sense

(1) (Reply)

Pls What’s The Best Data For Airtel Now / How Can I Block My Stolen Mtn Modem? / How Many Hours Does Your Phone Takes To Charge Fully?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.