Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,415 members, 7,830,104 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed (17019 Views)

Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? / Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? / What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Teettyllayho: 11:56am On Oct 14, 2021
I'm happy that you've made a wise decision to leave before it's too late. I used to teach before and I was afraid to leave too but it was worth it.
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Calibrator: 11:56am On Oct 14, 2021
You will never know how precious the "half bread is better than none" concept is till you are dead broke and you don't know where the money to eat your next meal is gonna come from.

The shame associated with being unable to pay your bills assuming you are living independently should also be factored in.

Don't leave a job in this present economy unless you already have a solid backup in tow.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by loydsis(m): 11:56am On Oct 14, 2021
Try and get a job or a little source of income let me say a small business that can sustain you before you get something better if not you might regret it at the long run, but the step you want to take is the best.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by hismond(m): 11:56am On Oct 14, 2021
If you have people that can still support you with some little cash, leave your comfort zone. You're a fresh graduate, seize the moment

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by musa234(m): 11:57am On Oct 14, 2021
Dialpad:
Get out of that place as quickly as possible, acquire a skill online, with a small remote job you can earn $200 or more monthly, thats still peanuts but better than the mess you find yourself.

Wish you all the best
please how can I acquire a skill online? I will need a clue.
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by graciousify(f): 11:58am On Oct 14, 2021
Spark2:
Hi guys,
I trust this meets you well?
I am 25 years old, I'd soon be 26.
I'm a graduate, I served in Kano and stayed back after service doing a teaching job. I am paid 35, 000 naira per month. The 35k finishes on transportation and feeding even before the month ends.

I started learning a skill in tech about a year and half ago, I've gained some confidence already in web development, I can call my self a Front-End Developer now with some knowledge of back end development... I have made up my mind to keep learning everyday. I have a dream of going fully into tech and at this point in my life, I need a job that will offer me the opportunity to learn what I'm personally interested in. I want to work in a team that will help me to grow, not a teaching job where I am overworked and get home tired everyday and have little time to code.

After sitting and considering all these, I made up my mind to resign my teaching Job by the end of December. I'm going back to my hometown (a state in the North central) where I hope to go down to Abuja in search of a better life or better still if I get one in my state.

The thing is that I'd need to take this bold step now while I'm still a bachelor before I get married and unable to.

I understand that it is a hard decision to take, but if I let fear hold me down here, Many years will pass and I will be here held by fear. A colleague shared his story with me, that he was afraid of leaving and for him, it's 11 years now teaching and he is still struggling. He's married and it's now difficult to take any step as such.

I need advice, if possible share your experiences so that I will learn.

Thank you very much

Judging by the economic realities in Nigeria today, most people are looking for opportunities to make extra income.
What would you do if you discover an opportunity that is very reliable and is working excellently?
Would you grab a chance to make at least 100k per week just by pressing your phone doing something beneficial?
If I show you a proven method through which you can scale your income, would you grab it?

If yes, click on this WhatsApp link, let's talk: https:///4lao6z
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by boom99(m): 11:58am On Oct 14, 2021
Change your environment. You can earn over 200k in teaching , if you come to Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by patani(m): 11:58am On Oct 14, 2021
I will sugest you learn C# or Java and become competent in it.

If you have money to survive while you learn this skill I fully support ur decision...It is your inner self that does not want to be limited in life speaking to you...Please dnt settle for less .

FYI.If you have means to go to organized coding school please do that..It will save you time to become a competenc tech and the connection you make there will pay you on the long run...

My 1 kobo advise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Antoeni(m): 11:59am On Oct 14, 2021
Quit Fast
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Harrykn: 11:59am On Oct 14, 2021
Bros how you dey take survive for this country sef with this story I'm reading?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by musa234(m): 11:59am On Oct 14, 2021
Teettyllayho:
I'm happy that you've made a wise decision to leave before it's too late. I used to teach before and I was afraid to leave too because I was married and had a kid. I also have a younger sister who just gained admission into. the university then.
Did you later leave?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Vinnie2000(m): 12:00pm On Oct 14, 2021
Spark2:
Hi guys,
I'm a graduate, I served in Kano and stayed back after service doing a teaching job. I am paid 35, 000 naira per month. The 35k finishes on transportation and feeding even before the month ends.

I started learning a skill in tech about a year and half ago, I've gained some confidence already in web development, I can call my self a Front-End Developer now with some knowledge of back end development... I have made up my mind to keep learning everyday. I have a dream of going fully into tech and at this point in my life, I need a job that will offer me the opportunity to learn what I'm personally interested in. I want to work in a team that will help me to grow, not a teaching job where I am overworked and get home tired everyday and have little time to code.

After sitting and considering all these, I made up my mind to resign my teaching Job by the end of December. I'm going back to my hometown (a state in the North central) where I hope to go down to Abuja in search of a better life or better still if I get one in my state.

The thing is that I'd need to take this bold step now while I'm still a bachelor before I get married and unable to.

I understand that it is a hard decision to take, but if I let fear hold me down here, Many years will pass and I will be here held by fear. [b]A colleague shared his story with me, that he was afraid of leaving and for him, it's 11 years now teaching and he is still struggling. He's married and it's now difficult to take any step as [/b]such.

Thank you very much

Any Married man doing Teaching or any Private job is so Terrible! sad
You are Always Afraid to Move! The fear is always there embarassed

Dats y I always advise Young Guys to plan well b4 Marriage oo.. sad

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by northbird: 12:06pm On Oct 14, 2021
Spark2:
Hi guys,

I understand that it is a hard decision to take, but if I let fear hold me down here, Many years will pass and I will be here held by fear. A colleague shared his story with me, that he was afraid of leaving and for him, it's 11 years now teaching and he is still struggling. He's married and it's now difficult to take any step as such.

Thank you very much

Learn a design skill that is applicable to the construction industry if you r heading to Abuja. You are better off as a freelancer than looking for a private salaried work in Abj.

You said you can call yourself a front end guy. How many websites do you have in your portfolio? Because that's what basically sells your brand, and if you are to rate them objectively, ( assume it wasn't your work), will it fly with you.

My advice: improve more on your skill - set as a web developer, there are opportunities, but for a newbie,to enter the industry, you must come in with a BANG, projects that will make people check out for you.

I don't mean run of the mill web guys who just use WordPress n think they could call themselves web developers.

Goodluck.
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Vinnie2000(m): 12:07pm On Oct 14, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Honestly op,I can't do such kind of jobs at this moments..... Personally,I don talk am say by latest January I go carry keke begin ride for this Warri... Imagine my immediate elder bro wey carry keke just on the 25th of last month,the nigga don make not less than 100k from that time till now..

All these mumu teaching work wey person take dey stress himself,yet at the end, Nothing to write home about,dem no follow again.......Very soon,once my keke don reach my hand, ennnnnnn,I go first breathe,then my bakery work go come resume fully again.

Lolss..
Warri Boy, Say Kpoza! cheesy cheesy

Keke ain't bad!
Only remember dat the Job has hazards and u should have good Driving experience! sad

Why not get some kind of Loan and go back to ur Bakery Business?
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by faoogoke(m): 12:11pm On Oct 14, 2021
There are teaching jobs in Abuja that pay 100 to 200k but it maybe hard to get.
Teaching after school hours can earn you extra income too. This is profitable for some in Abuja.
In your village try and look at trading in agricultural produce that you can farm or buy to sell in a place like Abuja.
I don't want you disappointed if your delve into IT does not pay as expected.
You are young, work hard and be legit and God will bless your efforts.

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Sonnobax15(m): 12:11pm On Oct 14, 2021
Vinnie2000:

Lolss..
Warri Boy, Say Kpoza! cheesy cheesy

Keke ain't bad!
Only remember dat the Job has hazards and u should have good Driving experience! sad

Why not get some kind of Loan and go back to ur Bakery Business?
we dey work towards now.. Probably by next month,we go resume again..But you see that keke,I must carry am in case if any fvck up sup again.... Bro,I don too sidown house throway for some time now..I need an alternative,a back up plan in case of necessity.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Testimony1988(m): 12:13pm On Oct 14, 2021
Not a bad decision.
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by redcliff: 12:18pm On Oct 14, 2021
Spark2:
Hi guys,

Thank you very much

anything that is hindering you from achieving your dreams, cut it off and suffer to achieve those dreams. your future self would thank your past self for taking that decision. it would be tough but with CONSISTENCY, you would get there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Komu1048(m): 12:18pm On Oct 14, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Honestly op,I can't do such kind of jobs at this moments..... Personally,I don talk am say by latest January I go carry keke begin ride for this Warri... Imagine my immediate elder bro wey carry keke just on the 25th of last month,the nigga don make not less than 100k from that time till now..

All these mumu teaching work wey person take dey stress himself,yet at the end, Nothing to write home about,dem no follow again.......Very soon,once my keke don reach my hand, ennnnnnn,I go first breathe,then my bakery work go come resume fully again.

Anytime I remembered when I was teaching, I do laugh. Imagine taking jss1-3 maths n ss1-3 physics n chemistry. And was paid 15( I fought to earn that ooo. It was 10k before) then taking private lesson 4k. Everything no reach 20k ooo. A whole graduate. One day a parent want me to teach her wards n want me to accept 2k, I told her it's too small n requested for 4k. Naso this woman provoke say how she go pay 4k say I want open their head pack book? She claimed she had been paying 1.5k before. Omo naso I vex go learn painting n that's what I do now, I'm even tired of hearing those useless figure again.

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by OFAIKGROUPS(m): 12:20pm On Oct 14, 2021
julybaba:
The first step to success is self confidence.
Secondly, always try to have many sources of income, don't always quit one job to look for another. Find a way to make money from several sources.

The garden of Eden is supplied by four rivers (income) and not one river.
Do you understand me?

reminds me of ubong king

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by micxwell(m): 12:20pm On Oct 14, 2021
englishmart:
Joblessness is better than some jobs.

Teaching is a useless profession in Nigeria.
Baba, Nigeria has really pissed you off. May God bless you with a way out of this country.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by chloride6: 12:24pm On Oct 14, 2021
You stayed back?

You need to stay some more...

Werey.....
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by yetunsbay(m): 12:25pm On Oct 14, 2021
boom99:
Change your environment. You can earn over 200k in teaching , if you come to Lagos.
Everyone can't be in Lag

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by sulaak(m): 12:29pm On Oct 14, 2021
Why can't Nigerians get their priorities in order?

You are still learning new skills yet your want to quit your current job. At 25 you are thinking of marriage on a salary of N35k. Sometimes Nigerians are the architect of their poverty.

1. Get the required skills.
2. Complete professional certification on the skills i.e AWS /Azure developer
3. Practice your skills, you are a teacher why not start teaching web development part-time
4. Consider uploading your skills and expertise on platforms such as Upwork and freelancer ad see whether your expertise are in demand
5. Also consider looking for working
6. Only resign from your current job when you have a new job offer. Nigeria has enough people asking for loans we don't need to add you to the list.

Spark2:
Hi guys,

Thank you very much

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 14, 2021
Spark2:
Hi guys,

Thank you very much

Adaptability is key - please expand your box and adapt- Teachers are key and there are many online schools abroad looking for teachers who can lead a virtual classroom. I taught at College Misericordia in the US back in 2003 all the way from Lagos and my earning jumped from N40,000 per month as an IT Analyst to nearlyN150,000 per month as an Online Tutor on eBusiness. Imagine what you could be earning in 2021 and beyond.
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Sheriman(m): 12:30pm On Oct 14, 2021
Harrykn:
Bros how you dey take survive for this country sef with this story I'm reading?
These Yahoo pastors don successfully turn Christianity to comedy and drama. What is the meaning of this??
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Sheriman(m): 12:32pm On Oct 14, 2021
yetunsbay:
Everyone can't be in Lag
Don't mind them as if Lagos is the only place you can survive in Nigeria others are nothing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Magnumproperty: 12:37pm On Oct 14, 2021
lessonotes:
I really believe you're on the right track as regards Tech, my only advice is as someone said, save some money and when you finally relocate to Abuja, look for a tech company and offer yourself as an Intern. You're still a fresher in the field, it might be hard getting a full paid job as an experienced developer. So internship would allow you learn more and align yourself with the experienced senior developers. If the owner of the tech company sees your vigour and willingness, he can decide to be giving you some stipends per month. Also look for software development meetups in Abuja. See https://www.meetup.com/

In all this, have patience and throw away pride, like you said, you're 26, be patient and be humble. What did I say Sir; be patient.

Tech stacks to focus on, I believe you know; JavaScript first, I repeat JavaScript. Why? Because it will lay your foundation for ReactJS, which is very popular and in high demand. There were some interns I advised in 2020 to learn JavaScript and eventually ReactJS and today in Abuja they're earning 6 figure salary. I mean 100k and above per month, as young guys and bachelors.

So if you feel, you're not yet strong with JavaScript, then I would advise you still wait and still be teaching in your current place of primary assignment, learn JavaScript again again and again, then learn ReactJS while still working in this school that's giving you steady income. Why because, if you leave this school and go to Abuja and you're not yet grounded in the skills of Software engineering, then it will be hard to get a job, and if you go in for internship and they don't pay you anything, what will you be living on; it might be hell.

So think wisely, don't make hasty decisions; I reiterate, if you are not yet grounded with JavaScript and ReactJS, continue learning and Teaching, at the end you would eat the good of the land.

I learnt web development at 24, was an apprentice (intern) for 4 years. Today am 41 through God's Grace. Be patient, there's a time and season for everything underneath the earth. Shallom!

But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. - James 1 v 4
is it possible to learn javascript without a knowledge in coding?
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Munamoqel: 12:37pm On Oct 14, 2021
Spark2:
Hi guys,

Thank you very much
don't quit yet .go to rosefield school by alliance da France on audu bako way it a foriegn owned school pay is around 70k if u are very good in teaching try you luck. have u ever taught of a side business. Like a pos shop and hair salon to add to your income .how about extra lesson? Do thing that will add to you income immediately while u learn you web thing .then target jobs in Lagos going forward.
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 14, 2021
Go ahead! Quit it. You are on the right track.
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Scetrocom: 12:39pm On Oct 14, 2021
lessonotes:
I really believe you're on the right track as regards Tech, my only advice is as someone said, save some money and when you finally relocate to Abuja, look for a tech company and offer yourself as an Intern. You're still a fresher in the field, it might be hard getting a full paid job as an experienced developer. So internship would allow you learn more and align yourself with the experienced senior developers. If the owner of the tech company sees your vigour and willingness, he can decide to be giving you some stipends per month. Also look for software development meetups in Abuja. See https://www.meetup.com/

In all this, have patience and throw away pride, like you said, you're 26, be patient and be humble. What did I say Sir; be patient.

Tech stacks to focus on, I believe you know; JavaScript first, I repeat JavaScript. Why? Because it will lay your foundation for ReactJS, which is very popular and in high demand. There were some interns I advised in 2020 to learn JavaScript and eventually ReactJS and today in Abuja they're earning 6 figure salary. I mean 100k and above per month, as young guys and bachelors.

So if you feel, you're not yet strong with JavaScript, then I would advise you still wait and still be teaching in your current place of primary assignment, learn JavaScript again again and again, then learn ReactJS while still working in this school that's giving you steady income. Why because, if you leave this school and go to Abuja and you're not yet grounded in the skills of Software engineering, then it will be hard to get a job, and if you go in for internship and they don't pay you anything, what will you be living on; it might be hell.

So think wisely, don't make hasty decisions; I reiterate, if you are not yet grounded with JavaScript and ReactJS, continue learning and Teaching, at the end you would eat the good of the land.

I learnt web development at 24, was an apprentice (intern) for 4 years. Today am 41 through God's Grace. Be patient, there's a time and season for everything underneath the earth. Shallom!

But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. - James 1 v 4

This is the best advice so far. Though you need to act fast. Those private school owners are even wicked than the devil. Use your youthful time to develop yourself to secure your future.
Re: I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed by Teettyllayho: 12:42pm On Oct 14, 2021
musa234:
Did you later leave?

Comment has been modified.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Does Your Income Seem Insufficient? Here’s How You Can Boost It / What Is A Well-paying Job In Nigeria? / The Training Or The Job: Which Should I Choose?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.