Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages (25079 Views)

Looking For A University To Enrol In This September? / Bossladylaw Business Challenge: Winners To Go Home With N10m, As Knockout Stage / Lightning Strikes Student Of Anambra State University To Death Inside His Room (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by HigherEd: 2:25pm On Oct 14, 2021
The National Industrial Court on Thursday ordered Covenant University, Ota to pay its former staff Dr. Adekunle Oyeyemi the sum of N10.3 million as general damages, terminal benefit and salary.

The judge, Justice Ayodele Obaseki-Osaghae, delivering judgment also declared that the employment termination of the claimant’s employment as wrongful and in breach of the contract of his employment.

The court ordered the payment of N8.2 million being the equivalent of his 24 months salary as general damages.

The sum of N1.7 million was ordered as terminal benefits and N344,635 being salary in lieu of notice, to be paid within 30 days.

The judge held that the University unilateral review of the claimant’s employment conversion to Senior Lecturer was wrongful.

The court stated that the action was unsolicited and was designed to make the workplace intolerable for him and force his exit.

Obaseki-Osaghae stated that there was no wrongdoing established before the court that necessitated the termination of the claimant’s appointment with immediate effect.

“The words with ‘immediate effect’ have the effect of stigmatization.

“The termination of the claimant’s employment is wrongful and not in accordance with international best practices.” the judge ruled.

From facts, the claimant, submitted that he was employed as a full time Director of the University’s Counseling Centre from Oct.1, 2007, to Nov.15, 2016, when his appointment was terminated without any misconduct.

In addition, he stated that he sent an internal memo to the Secretary of the University Board to state his position against the Board’s resolution on the issue of tenure of Principal Officers and Directors.

He further said that he got a reply letter informing him that his tenure as the Director of the Centre had come to an end and he was being redeployed to the Department of Psychology as a Senior Lecturer , which was against his terms of employment.

The claimant’s counsel, Funmi Falana, submitted that the termination of her client’s employment was done contrary to the institution’s law .

She therefore sought for an order of reinstatement amongst other reliefs.

The defendant, on its part submitted that the claimant was invited to a roundtable discussion when his service was no longer required in its counseling centre.

The University also stated that when the claimant was informed of its decision to transfer him as a Senior Lecturer on contract, he consented to the arrangement.

The University stated that it decided to retain the claimant as a Senior Lecturer on contract as a kind gesture as he was over 60 years as at the time and was due for retirement.

https://guardian.ng/news/court-orders-covenant-university-to-pay-ex-staff-n10-3m-as-damages-terminal-benefit/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

5 Likes

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by HigherEd: 2:28pm On Oct 14, 2021
I think this is a case of someone who really knows his right and is willing to explore it. So redeployment in a workplace without consent is potentially illegal? Never knew.

102 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by edoairways: 3:02pm On Oct 14, 2021
HigherEd:
I think this is a case of someone who really knows his right and is willing to explore it. So redeployment in a workplace without consent is potentially illegal? Never knew.
Till date, you didn't reply my pm.

3 Likes

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by birdman(m): 7:05pm On Oct 14, 2021
HigherEd:

Not if he has a contract tenuring him at a specific dept. Someone wanted to punish him for having the effontery to have a contrary opinion. Luckily, the man knew his rights.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:58pm On Oct 14, 2021

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Sundaypaul12345: 8:58pm On Oct 14, 2021
Hope they will obey the court

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2021
Justice delivered
Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by UndauntedYOCA(f): 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2021
See effortless cash out! grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Olarewaju89: 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2021
undecided

If i hear say papa pay that money..

5 Likes

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Starz825(m): 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2021
CU..
I guess Dem go obey court order
Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by oriewanbe: 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2021
Good, I think the university should know better unless they just want to cheat the man thinking he will not do anything.
Just like this, many employers out there treat their employees anyhow if they know he or she has no influence.

9 Likes

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Sabssy: 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2021
HigherEd:
Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by merits(m): 9:00pm On Oct 14, 2021
grin monthly tithe by gullible followers will pay the bill.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Lumig: 9:00pm On Oct 14, 2021
cheesy
They must pay. It will serve as a lesson to others not to treat their employees like rags

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Numerouno94(m): 9:01pm On Oct 14, 2021
Wealthy nd powerful Nigerians don't usually obey court orders, i guess they learnt it from the present government.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Antoeni(m): 9:01pm On Oct 14, 2021
Reno Omokri vs Natasha,
Fani-Kayode vs Gov Wike,
Ganduje vs Shekarau,
Sunday Igboho vs Cotonou police, Nnamdi Kanu vs DSS.
Tonto dike Vs Jane mena
Tonto dike vs Kpokpogiri
Bobrisky Vs Morpha
Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by ATEAMS: 9:01pm On Oct 14, 2021
That's what up !
Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by gulfer: 9:01pm On Oct 14, 2021
Good, please extend this to all workplaces especially those interest seeking new generation banks angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by SamgoldBaba: 9:03pm On Oct 14, 2021
It's good to know one's right

1 Like

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by kennyz247(m): 9:03pm On Oct 14, 2021
wahala no dey finish for ds church...

mr Righteousness your prayers is need here ooo..
Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Jentle244: 9:04pm On Oct 14, 2021
Nice one. All this over sabi religious people that owns organization.

A church that if you are not their member to can't hold some positions. Qualified or not. Very discriminative. Yet, they say they are Christians

3 Likes

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by davodyguy: 9:06pm On Oct 14, 2021
Touch not my anointed

“The words with ‘immediate effect’ have the effect of stigmatization.

It's same words the church used in sacking some pastors. Immediate effect. He claimed they're not productive.

This says a lot of Winners Chapel.

It's like they operate same style or arbitrary termination of employment at will

4 Likes

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Watelonop: 9:06pm On Oct 14, 2021
I love this kind of development

2 Likes

Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by Numerouno94(m): 9:08pm On Oct 14, 2021
UndauntedYOCA:
See effortless cash out! grin

Not in Nigeria where court order is seen as trash nd not respected.
Re: Adekunle Oyeyemi: Court Orders Covenant University To Pay N10m As Damages by BlueRayDick: 9:09pm On Oct 14, 2021
So a man above 60 years of age is earning less than 350k per month at a "world class University"? Like convenant, Na wa o.

I used to think these senior staff in the academics earn really well like that.

Wo make I face corporate world fess make money ; when I Don tire later I go do my PhD go rest for academics.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Omotola Speaks On ASUU Strike / President Buhari Finally Intervenes In OAU Vice Chancellor Saga / Photos: JAMB Candidates Protest In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.