Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,489 members, 7,819,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

How Long Do Parrots Live? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How Long Do Parrots Live? (708 Views)

My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away / Name Your Favorite Pet: Dogs, Cats, Monkeys, Snakes, Pigs, Spiders, Parrots? / Cockatiel Parrots For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Long Do Parrots Live? by andrewpaul9005: 7:00am On Oct 15, 2021
How Long Do Parrots Live? This is a common question parrot owners often ask. Knowing the answer to this important question can help pet owners raise healthy and happy parrots. Parrots can live for decades and even centuries, provided they are well-cared for and fed right.
It's important to start a parrots diet early in life. A healthy, balanced diet must contain adequate protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. To make sure your bird is getting all the nutrients it needs, look at its droppings. If you see excessive amounts of dry matter, or dander, you may want to feed your bird healthier foods, like whole grains, seeds, and nuts, but you should make sure it's always eating enough of these kinds of foods.
How Long Do Parrots Live in the Wild? Contrary to popular belief, parrots can live for decades in the wild, longer than humans. In fact, many have been recorded living for over a decade in the wild. Some experts estimate that parrots can live up to a hundred years in captivity.
There's no question that wild parrots live longer than pets, but there's no reason why you should adopt a pet with a short lifespan. All living creatures, both animals and plants, have a natural lifespan; sometimes it extends a lot farther than the lifespan of humans. This is especially true for birds.
Why Do Pet Parrots Live Longer than Humans? If you ask pet experts, they'll likely tell you that longevity has very little to do with being healthy. While it's true that parrots are more likely to live longer if they're fed well and have a good, healthy diet, this has little to do with an animal's health at all. The biggest reason that pet parrots live longer than humans is that they are social animals. If a parrot is well cared for and surrounded by other birds, it will live much longer.
When was the last time you cleaned your parrot's cage? Parrots are susceptible to diseases because of unclean living conditions, and they can contract viruses even when they seem to be healthy. If you don't want to get sick, make sure you clean your bird's cage regularly. You can find cage cleaners online or at your local pet store.
How Long Do Parrots Live in Captive Houses? Although many people think that wild parrots live only a few days or a few weeks in captivity, it can actually take as long as 20 years or longer for them to make it out of the cage. Wild animals are subjected to a lot of stress and don't have a lot of space to move about in. Just like wild animals, pet parrots need space to exercise and socialize to stay healthy and satisfied.
How Long Do Parrots Live in Pet Parrots? You can expect your pet parrot to live anywhere from two to five years if you're willing to give it the proper care. Although most live up to five years in the wild, some can live as long as eight years or even longer in captivity. Your best bet is to start socializing your bird now, so it can grow up healthy and strong, ready to fit into its new cage and spend the next several decades with you.
Cockatiels are some of the most durable, intelligent birds, but they can be quite a handful in captivity, especially if you don't know how to properly care for them. If you plan on keeping your cockatiel indoors for the first couple of years, there's no reason you should let it go longer than fourteen years. Although wild cockatiels can live up to twenty years, you won't get that kind of experience in a cage. A little more time is required, but it's a lot less time than it would be if you had a cockatiel living outdoors in the wild.
Cockatiels have a long lifespan, but there are a few reasons why it might not be as long in captivity as some people might think. One of the biggest reasons why wild cockatiels live such a long time in the wild is because they are fed constantly by the birds around them, so their metabolism is very high. This means that even if they aren't fed well in captivity, their lifespan will be much longer. Another reason why some might think that a cockatiel in captivity can live longer than a wild one is because they are usually brighter colored birds than wild ones, which means they are more easily spotted by predators.
Of course, there are a few things you can do to make sure that you get the most out of your parrot, but it will depend on what type of parrot you have. Cockatiels can live longer than other types of birds, but you'll have to research how long do parrots live in order to find out. Brightly colored parrots tend to live longer than others, but this doesn't mean that all brightly colored birds live longer. Your research should take into account how old the bird is and how frequently you feed it as well.
Re: How Long Do Parrots Live? by Alsonjecs: 5:49pm On Nov 08, 2021
I feed the parrot with food from the pet store. I read that this is a complete nutrition for him.
Re: How Long Do Parrots Live? by buragoz: 5:51pm On Nov 08, 2021
Parrots, like any pet, need quality nutrition. A parrot should live an average of about 12-20 years. But if he doesn't get the necessary vitamins, it'll significantly reduce the length of his life. An acquaintance of mine had a Jacquot parrot who became poisoned after he was given an avocado. It's necessary to be extra careful what you give to your parrot, and it's better to read once more if can cockatiels eat pumpkin seeds and not accidentally hurt your feathered friend. My cockatoo parrot is a family member for me, and I can't even imagine my life without him.

(1) (Reply)

Solid Male Working Line German Shepherd Pup For Sale / Lhasa Apso Puppies for Sell!! / Boerboel Puppies For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.