Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes (1898 Views)

Omo I Dey Enjoy For Hear Oo... See Speed / Can We Just Drag MTN And Co For Their Bad Network? Share Your Frustration! / Apple Has Always Made Me Laugh. What A Joke. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by atheistandproud(m): 8:19pm On Oct 15, 2021
In August, I received a text message that made me very angry.

TREAT AS URGENT AS YOU ARE INVOLVED AND HES UNWILLING TO PAY!!!!! Your Friend/Relative, NAME: *** Phone: 080******** has failed to pay back the loan HE took from NINE CREDIT. We advice you reach him and urge him to make payment today AS HE IS NOW AVOIDING OUR CALLS. The company would be taking LEGAL ACTIONS and other unfriendly measures against him. he would be publicly disgraced on all social media platforms before reporting him to the NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE AND CREDIT BUREAU OF NIGERIA as this is a FRAUDULENT ACT. NOTE: You are getting this message because he gave us your number as an EMERGENCY CONTACT. We have your information, you can as well tell him to remove you if you do not know about this LOAN. NINE CREDITLEGAL TEAM.

This message infuriated me and I immediately picked up my phone and called the person in question.

Me: guy you no try, you no try! I dey vex.

Person: (confused) wetin I do na?

Me: how you go carry my name go put as guarantor and you no tell me. E no make na.

Person: (more confused) guarantor.

Me: baba no just carry that leg with me. I go forward you message when dem send me now now. You no borrow money?

Person: (seems to recollect) oh I don pay na. Them no suppose message anybody. Besides I no use you as guarantor.

Me: (still angry) why dem come send me SMS?

Person: I no understand. Abeg no vex.

I lock up

In September, this time it was a call from a 5 digit number.

I thought it was DSTV because when my sub wan expire, na girl when get fine voice dey call me for reconnection sturvs.

I picked up.

Voice on the phone: Hello, is this Jeffarie?

Me: It's Jeffrey, no spoil my name.

Voice: your friend or family member (name withheld) with 080****** used you as guarantor.

Please do note that if he doesn't pay up, he'll be arrested and you'll be arrested as...

I don vex hang up.

I dialled the offending individual. I was now really really angry.

What kind of mumu trend is this one. Where people now collect loans and use other people's names without their consent.

Them no get sense?

The mumu companies when dey issue loans without collateral, them no wise too?

He picked up and was very surprised.

He swore that he did not put my name as a guarantor on any loan app.

He confirmed that yes he borrowed and defaulted a week ago but he has paid back in full.

This really surprised me.

One mind said that they're lying but the other one said bro, you'll never know if they're telling the truth with such a negative attitude.

So I rested.

I don't know if any of the above scenarios has happened to you.

The common denominator between both of these cases are loan apps.

Dear lord, they're everywhere. Their ads are so intrusive.

I have heard people on the bus, on the street, inside Keke, talking about how they feel pressured to use them.

Loan apps are the new craze in town, from CreditMesan, to Sokoloan, to Branch, to Opay.

These apps have come out of nowhere, promising to do the impossible.

Offering free loans without collateral. Them no born the bank well when go try am.

That was where my suspicions began.

I am a very suspicious person, always have been.

After reading through the fine print of their T&C's which many people never bothered to read.

Omo, I told myself, that I would never use such apps.

Or any credit facility of the sort.

The app permissions are scary, they require access to nearly every thing on your bloody phone.

A IT guru known as Tolu Ogundipe analysed Sokoloan app and found that there are embedded software in the app.

The software crawls through your phone, collects data and sends it back to a remote server somewhere.

So the people who borrowed from them, did not need to give them my phone number.

They already had it!

That in itself is scary!

These apps could access your gps and turn on location wherever you are...

People are willingly installing malware on their phones because of loans.

And some famous Nigerian YouTubers are endorsing them!

Jesus F. Christ!

If you have such an app on your phone. You've installed legalized malware on your phone.

Your antivirus won't see it and it will continue sending your contacts, your sms, maybe even install a keylogger software on your phone.

What you choose to do with this information, is up to you.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by Flamees(m): 8:56pm On Oct 15, 2021
No broke goakee borrow from apps
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by The5DME(m): 9:10pm On Oct 15, 2021
Lcredit jus dey send me sms, say ma come borrowe.. I don tire for this loan apps matter

1 Like

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by atheistandproud(m): 9:48pm On Oct 15, 2021
Flamees:
No broke goakee borrow from apps

Lmao
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by atheistandproud(m): 9:49pm On Oct 15, 2021
The5DME:
Lcredit jus dey send me sms, say ma come borrowe.. I don tire for this loan apps matter

Anywhere I see this message, na to report as spam and block!

Immediately.
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by Enigma2049(m): 9:53pm On Oct 15, 2021
Op i always love ur write ups. Expository i must say. Keep up the good work.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by atheistandproud(m): 9:55pm On Oct 15, 2021
Enigma2049:
Op i always love ur write ups. Expository i must say. Keep up the good work.

Thank you grin

1 Like

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by Azurevermillion: 10:19pm On Oct 15, 2021
Thanks. Those werey.

1 Like

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by atheistandproud(m): 10:41pm On Oct 15, 2021
Azurevermillion:
Thanks. Those werey.

You're welcome.
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by possibilita(m): 5:50am On Oct 16, 2021
Thanks alot
I am not entirely innocent on this.
I use carbon and make sure I pay back before my loan is default.
But the access these apps have is scary.
The info they take is worth more than their loans.
But we can't blame our brothers and sisters.
We are underpaid in this country, and when we run out of cash what do we do.
Nobody wants to take a loan of 30k and pay 40k but what choice do they have?
Besides we have people that are supposed to protect us from things like this and they are doing nothing.

1 Like

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by atheistandproud(m): 9:00am On Oct 16, 2021
possibilita:
Thanks alot
I am not entirely innocent on this.
I use carbon and make sure I pay back before my loan is default.
But the access these apps have is scary.
The info they take is worth more than their loans.
But we can't blame our brothers and sisters.
We are underpaid in this country, and when we run out of cash what do we do.
Nobody wants to take a loan of 30k and pay 40k but what choice do they have?
Besides we have people that are supposed to protect us from things like this and they are doing nothing.

I have always questioned the source of that their money my brother. Nobody just throws money like that away without some form of gain.

These people are just mining our data for free and then we're paying them for it.

Why? Because we're vulnerable and the people supposed to protect us have turned a blind eye.

5 Likes

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by Tokskob2008: 9:25am On Oct 16, 2021
One stupid loan app has been disturbing my life for like a month now with text and calls saying I should help get across to a former classmate of mine who refused to repay his loan. I wonder what's my own problem or I was there when they both decided to loan each other money, I last saw the dude 14yrs ago by the way.

1 Like

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by atheistandproud(m): 9:45am On Oct 16, 2021
Tokskob2008:
One stupid loan app has been disturbing my life for like a month now with text and calls saying I should help get across to a former classmate of mine who refused to repay his loan. I wonder what's my own problem or I was there when they both decided to loan each other money, I last saw the dude 14yrs ago by the way.

Report as spam and block.

Na my new tactic be that.

Imagine now, like this like this, them don hack that guy phone dey read e contact list.

Chai!!!

1 Like

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by Generalwoodz(m): 10:26am On Oct 16, 2021
Must you show your atheism to the world? I forgot you are proud... What's the meaning of Jesus f Christ??
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by thelegend1(m): 10:47am On Oct 16, 2021
Nice write up.
These credit providers need to renegotiate the loan and stop harrassment, but what do I know? In time of desperation you can sign anything. The painful part is the payback process and interest (I once took 450k that turned to 800k refund, my eyes cleared sharply)

Anyways I told myself I won't install any of these loan apps again no matter how bad things are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by atheistandproud(m): 10:53am On Oct 16, 2021
thelegend1:
Nice write up.
These credit providers need to renegotiate the loan and stop harrassment, but what do I know? In time of desperation you can sign anything. The painful part is the payback process and interest (I once took 450k that turned to 800k refund, my eyes cleared sharply)

Anyways I told myself I won't install any of these loan apps again no matter how bad things are.

Only the interest rates don immediately make me run with full speed
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by possibilita(m): 11:19am On Oct 16, 2021
atheistandproud:

I have always questioned the source of that their money my brother. Nobody just throws money like that away without some form of gain.

These people are just mining our data for free and then we're paying them for it.

Why? Because we're vulnerable and the people supposed to protect us have turned a blind eye.
They know nobody will install if they decide to develop their app in another form
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by atheistandproud(m): 11:56am On Oct 16, 2021
possibilita:

They know nobody will install if they decide to develop their app in another form

Exactly!
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by Hakeem12(m): 3:27pm On Oct 18, 2021
I can't remember the last time I read Ts and Cs of apps, very bad habit that needs stopping.

5 Likes

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by Jacku: 7:19pm On Oct 18, 2021
Thanks for this post. This is very insightful
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by Jacku: 7:19pm On Oct 18, 2021
thelegend1:
Nice write up.

how did you now pay?
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by dan9ice(m): 8:21pm On Oct 18, 2021
Kuda overdraft is the best
I swear down
It has been a life saver for me
Though, I'm limited to 10k with interest of 30naira everyday..
Let assume you paid 5k,the interest will be 15naira...
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by thelegend1(m): 9:22pm On Oct 18, 2021
Jacku:
how did you now pay?

Through the skin of my teeth!
Unless it's a health issue or matter of life or death, then avoid those loans with the fear of God.

Simple 25k loan can deny one a visa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by Jacku: 11:01pm On Oct 18, 2021
thelegend1:

Through the skin of my teeth!
Unless it's a health issue or matter of life or death, then avoid those loans with the fear of God.

Simple 25k loan can deny one a visa.
hmmmm.. Nawa o
Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by seunfly: 1:32am On Oct 19, 2021
This kind of post will not make front page, only Tonto, snake, tribal warfare and Co will grease front page.

2 Likes

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by OkukoIgbo: 2:38am On Oct 19, 2021
When you search the forum about this app, you'll see the agony people you use them are passing through. The pressure, guilt and remorse are daunting. It is something I never even pray for my enemy.

En get one wey be migo wey just send me message to use ussd in my mtn line, it was so simple to be true cos no app was used and I wasn't asked for contacts and every other thing. Don't know how much they can do with bvn though very very risky but I tried it out with *561# and it was successful but I paid back immediately and begged whatever spirit that brought that never to come by me again in this life.

Those people all work for some chinese money bags who exploit the Nigeria economic atmosphere preying on how bad our economy is as they know some people will break under some economic difficulties.

1 Like

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by atheistandproud(m): 9:37am On Oct 19, 2021
OkukoIgbo:
When you search the forum about this app, you'll see the agony people you use them are passing through. The pressure, guilt and remorse are daunting. It is something I never even pray for my enemy.

En get one wey be migo wey just send me message to use ussd in my mtn line, it was so simple to be true cos no app was used and I wasn't asked for contacts and every other thing. Don't know how much they can do with bvn though very very risky but I tried it out with *561# and it was successful but I paid back immediately and begged whatever spirit that brought that never to come by me again in this life.

Those people all work for some chinese money bags who exploit the Nigeria economic atmosphere preying on how bad our economy is as they know some people will break under some economic difficulties.

See the bolded part, that has been my suspicion from day one.

I was telling my guy, that them never born the bank well when go give you loan without collateral in Nigeria.

So the money has to come from elsewhere.

Na another slavery/colonialism we dey wan dance enter.

1 Like

Re: We Just Dey Joke With Our Own Security Sometimes by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 19, 2021
atheistandproud:
In August, I received a text message that made me very angry.

TREAT AS URGENT AS YOU ARE INVOLVED AND HES UNWILLING TO PAY!!!!! Your Friend/Relative, NAME: *** Phone: 080******** has failed to pay back the loan HE took from NINE CREDIT. We advice you reach him and urge him to make payment today AS HE IS NOW AVOIDING OUR CALLS. The company would be taking LEGAL ACTIONS and other unfriendly measures against him. he would be publicly disgraced on all social media platforms before reporting him to the NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE AND CREDIT BUREAU OF NIGERIA as this is a FRAUDULENT ACT. NOTE: You are getting this message because he gave us your number as an EMERGENCY CONTACT. We have your information, you can as well tell him to remove you if you do not know about this LOAN. NINE CREDITLEGAL TEAM.

This message infuriated me and I immediately picked up my phone and called the person in question.

Me: guy you no try, you no try! I dey vex.

Person: (confused) wetin I do na?

Me: how you go carry my name go put as guarantor and you no tell me. E no make na.

Person: (more confused) guarantor.

Me: baba no just carry that leg with me. I go forward you message when dem send me now now. You no borrow money?

Person: (seems to recollect) oh I don pay na. Them no suppose message anybody. Besides I no use you as guarantor.

Me: (still angry) why dem come send me SMS?

Person: I no understand. Abeg no vex.

I lock up

In September, this time it was a call from a 5 digit number.

I thought it was DSTV because when my sub wan expire, na girl when get fine voice dey call me for reconnection sturvs.

I picked up.

Voice on the phone: Hello, is this Jeffarie?

Me: It's Jeffrey, no spoil my name.

Voice: your friend or family member (name withheld) with 080****** used you as guarantor.

Please do note that if he doesn't pay up, he'll be arrested and you'll be arrested as...

I don vex hang up.

I dialled the offending individual. I was now really really angry.

What kind of mumu trend is this one. Where people now collect loans and use other people's names without their consent.

Them no get sense?

The mumu companies when dey issue loans without collateral, them no wise too?

He picked up and was very surprised.

He swore that he did not put my name as a guarantor on any loan app.

He confirmed that yes he borrowed and defaulted a week ago but he has paid back in full.

This really surprised me.

One mind said that they're lying but the other one said bro, you'll never know if they're telling the truth with such a negative attitude.

So I rested.

I don't know if any of the above scenarios has happened to you.

The common denominator between both of these cases are loan apps.

Dear lord, they're everywhere. Their ads are so intrusive.

I have heard people on the bus, on the street, inside Keke, talking about how they feel pressured to use them.

Loan apps are the new craze in town, from CreditMesan, to Sokoloan, to Branch, to Opay.

These apps have come out of nowhere, promising to do the impossible.

Offering free loans without collateral. Them no born the bank well when go try am.

That was where my suspicions began.

I am a very suspicious person, always have been.

After reading through the fine print of their T&C's which many people never bothered to read.

Omo, I told myself, that I would never use such apps.

Or any credit facility of the sort.

The app permissions are scary, they require access to nearly every thing on your bloody phone.

A IT guru known as Tolu Ogundipe analysed Sokoloan app and found that there are embedded software in the app.

The software crawls through your phone, collects data and sends it back to a remote server somewhere.

So the people who borrowed from them, did not need to give them my phone number.

They already had it!

That in itself is scary!

These apps could access your gps and turn on location wherever you are...

People are willingly installing malware on their phones because of loans.

And some famous Nigerian YouTubers are endorsing them!

Jesus F. Christ!

If you have such an app on your phone. You've installed legalized malware on your phone.

Your antivirus won't see it and it will continue sending your contacts, your sms, maybe even install a keylogger software on your phone.

What you choose to do with this information, is up to you.

Are you a Christian now? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Need Help With Choosing Mobile Land Phone / Hoodwinked By Etisalat Promo Offer / Glo Must Reduce Tablets & Phones Plans Prices NOW!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.