Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,037 members, 7,814,541 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Why Phone Chargers Of 5V Output Electrocute And Even Kill At Times - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Phone Chargers Of 5V Output Electrocute And Even Kill At Times (190 Views)

UNN Ranks 1st In Nigeria On Quality Research Output (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Phone Chargers Of 5V Output Electrocute And Even Kill At Times by Kayberg: 9:00am On Oct 16, 2021
I have heard many people say it is impossible for a 5V Charger to electrocute or kill someone. But based on personal experiences, I tell you it can electrocute and kill.

I am an electronic technician. The first time I experienced this was many years ago. I had this charger that will shock if I do not have any footwear on whenever I plug it to power to charge. This made me want to find out why this is so.

Later on, I read on the internet about a girl who was killed by using her phone while it was charging. Though the phone brand was a popular one, so their engineers denied the possibility of a 5V Charger killing anyone because the voltage is very much too low.

Also this morning, I read on front page about a man that died while using his phone. Firstly, I condemn the carelessness, because it's been a given warning on several occasions not to make a call with your phone while it's being charged.

Yes, the voltage is very much too low, but there is something missing in some Chargers. This is one reason I'll not advise you go to the market and buy just any random charger for use, because there is something missing in most of them!

This missing component, I noticed and found it in a Nokia Charger. Then observing all Nokia Chargers I find, it's in them! Meaning Nokia has discovered this widely ignored safety precaution long ago.

All Chargers come with 2pin plugs. Even the ones with 3pin plugs has the third pin made of plastic, which makes it impossible to link it to direct Earth, but Nokia discovered this method of internal Earthing, as this clears the voltage leak/reflection effects.

Some Chargers today still has that same component missing in it. So when you plugged it to an outlet, you feel a voltage/current reflection, which is very dangerous, as it can electrocute and even kill.

Once you plug your phone to charge, the first way to notice is without you having any footwear on, feel the body of your phone with one finger by swiping on it very slowly, (mostly phones with aluminium or iron frame) once you feel that voltage reflection, your charger is not safe for use.

After I discovered this hitch, I checked a random charger purchased, and alas this component was missing!
Then I got it from the market and fixed it in. And the voltage shock/reflection stopped.

So, be observant.
Be careful.

2 Likes

Re: Why Phone Chargers Of 5V Output Electrocute And Even Kill At Times by rexchazy(m): 9:13am On Oct 16, 2021
Well understood

(1) (Reply)

Sholarships In Holland Without IELTS 2021 (fully Funded) / If You Are A Student, Say Amen!!! / Request For Appropriate Model For Analysis.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.