Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,500 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega (1752 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili: Senator Ahmed Tinubu Could Have Saved Us This Embarrassment / Dele Momodu: Only Tinubu Could Appoint A ‘Certified Nuisance’ Like Festus Keyamo / 2023: Tinubu Could Emerge APC’s Consensus Candidate – Osita Okechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by PrinceOfLagos: 3:16pm On Oct 16, 2021
Tinubu might become the second President elect with a controversial drug past after, Manuel Noriega, of Panama.

Former Lagos provincial governor Bola Tinubu, affectionately nicknamed the Jagaban, is today seen as a shrewd if not “deeply Machiavellian” Svengali in Nigeria’s politics as well as the architect of a hugely successful anti-corruption platform. But 20 years ago he had to forfeit nearly half a million dollars to the U.S. Treasury Department after being named as an accomplice in a white heroin-trafficking and money-laundering ring that stretched from West Africa to the U.S. Midwest.

Although his case has been bandied about the Nigerian press for years, Tinubu’s involvement in a federal drug and racketeering investigation waged jointly by the DEA, FBI, and IRS has gone unreported elsewhere, even after his ascendance to Karl Rove-like.

Financial Times profile of him, for instance, neglected to mention that two decades ago Tinubu was identified as a bagman for two Nigerian heroin movers who operated out of Chicago and Hammond, Indiana. They were Adegboyega Mueez Akande and Abiodun Agbele, Akande’s nephew, who was exposed to law enforcement after selling white heroin first to Lee Andrew Edwards, another dealer later jailed for trying to murder a federal agent, and then to an undercover cop.

At the time, Tinubu’s take home as a Mobil Oil Nigeria executive was a mere $2,400 a month and he claimed not to have any other revenue streams. Yet he still managed to deposit $661,000 into his individual money market account in 1990 and then another $1,216,500 a year later.

There’s no evidence that Tinubu was ever indicted for any crime.He eventually settled with the district court, turning over $460,000 of the seized $1.4 million, with the remainder released back to him. The Beast tried repeatedly to contact Marsha McClellan, the U.S. attorney who prosecuted the case, but was unsuccessful.

Campbell told The Beast. Though even here, the ex-diplomat admits, Tinubu’s good governance has been clouded by controversy. “He established a company to do the tax collecting in return for a cut and, at one point, Tinubu and Fashola appeared to be splitting over the percentage of Tinubu’s cut.”

https://naijaworld.online/p/dqErmyZxkjRUwodzOtmU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by Bola146(f): 3:16pm On Oct 16, 2021
grin

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by PrinceOfLagos: 3:20pm On Oct 16, 2021
Noriega wannabe

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by NwaNimo1(m): 3:25pm On Oct 16, 2021
Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by Corporate2020: 3:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
Una go cry tire.

Bring out your own candidate and campaign. But you no get. Power is taken, not given. The Presidency will not be zoned to your village. If you want it, come out and fight for it. If you don't fight for it, you have no chance of getting it; because Power will never be given to you on a platter of God. Come out and fight for it or shut the fucck up.

19 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by PrinceOfLagos: 3:29pm On Oct 16, 2021
Corporate2020:
Una go cry tire
You're comfortable that someone with a criminal past wants to be your president

Then his fellow drug people will have a filled day

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by AbijaJ: 3:31pm On Oct 16, 2021
Op, wetin Tinubu collect from your ibo people? Who exactly is bankrolling your constant attacks against this man? These info you are twisting has been out there before he even became a senator in early 90s, not to talk of his two term governorship. That should tell you that it won't stop him from becoming president if he's destined to. When will you start promoting Atiku Abubakar instead of attacking Tinubu? You must be really terrified that he might actually win. Guy, las las you go jus japa o.

67 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by PrinceOfLagos: 3:32pm On Oct 16, 2021
AbijaJ:
Op, wetin Tinubu collect from your ibo people? Who exactly is bankrolling your constant attacks against this man? These info you are twisting has been out there before he even became a senator in early 90s, not to talk of governor his two term governorship. That should tell you that it won't stop him from becoming president if he's destined to. When will you start promoting Atiku Abubakar instead of attacking Tinubu? You must be really terrified that he might actually win. Guy, las las you go jus japa o.
He's not destined to be president , the odds are against him

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by AbijaJ: 3:32pm On Oct 16, 2021
Corporate2020:
Una go cry tire

As in. They have repeated the same thing over and over yet the guy still dey shine. They might have 8 more years to cry at this rate o.

63 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by PrinceOfLagos: 3:35pm On Oct 16, 2021
AbijaJ:

As in. They have repeated the same thing over and over yet the guy still dey shine. They might have 8 more years to cry at this ratem
Please let's call a thief a thief

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by AbijaJ: 3:36pm On Oct 16, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

He's not destined to be president , the odds are against him

I honestly don't think you believe that. Else you won't spent 90% of your activities here on Nairaland fixated on him if indeed you believe he stands no chance. Your political hatchet job is premised on your REAL fear that he actually could become your next president. If e sure for you say the odds are against Tinubu like you claim, who does the odds favour? Why not promote that person instead of giving the person you says odds no favour free publicity?

67 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by PrinceOfLagos: 3:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
AbijaJ:

I honestly don't think you believe that. Else you won't spent 90% of your activities here in Nairaland fixated on him if indeed you believe he stands no chance. Your political hatchet job is premised on your REAL fear that he actually could become your next president. If e sure for you say the odds are against Tinubu like you claim, who do the odds favour? Why not promote that person instead of giving the person you says odds no favour free publicity?
Let me ask you a simple question

When will Tinubu visit america?

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by AbijaJ: 3:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Please let's call a thief a thief

He didn't steal a dime from me so why should I call him a thief? You must be richer than Dangote for Tinubu to have stolen from you.

63 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by PrinceOfLagos: 3:40pm On Oct 16, 2021
AbijaJ:

He didn't steal a dime from me so why should I call him a thief? You must be richer than Dangote for Tinubu to have stolen from you.
Your defence to me are watery

You're doing a terrible job for Tinubu

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by Throwback: 3:44pm On Oct 16, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Has Tinubu ever ran away from America?

Don't confuse Tinubu for Atiku.

66 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by AbijaJ: 3:46pm On Oct 16, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

You are a hopeless case. I am sure you are amongst those that shared the Sahara Reporters news that he went to America for surgery in August. Here's the headline and link:

EXCLUSIVE: Ex-Lagos Governor, Tinubu Undergoes Second Surgery In US Hospital, Returns To UK On Crutches

http://saharareporters.com/2021/08/09/exclusive-ex-lagos-governor-tinubu-undergoes-second-surgery-us-hospital-returns-uk

You better go and find something productive to do with your life. Stalking Tinubu on social media won't help your situation.

66 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by RZArecta(m): 3:46pm On Oct 16, 2021
Just imagine a CNN anchor addressing our president as a former drug lord grin e go mad o grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by PrinceOfLagos: 3:47pm On Oct 16, 2021
Throwback:

Has Tinubu ever ran away from America?

Don't confuse Tinubu for Atiku.
Then why hasn't Tinubu visit america after his drug case started in the U.S?

Or is america no longer a beautiful country undecided
Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by AbijaJ: 3:47pm On Oct 16, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Your defence to me are watery

You're doing a terrible job for Tinubu

And you are doing a terrible job for those bankrolling your Tinubu obsession.

62 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by muykem: 3:47pm On Oct 16, 2021
If Buhari can win election despite the hatred documentations of PDP/AIT then this one is just a child play.

10 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by CSTR2: 3:48pm On Oct 16, 2021
AbijaJ:
Op, wetin Tinubu collect from your ibo people? Who exactly is bankrolling your constant attacks against this man? These info you are twisting has been out there before he even became a senator in early 90s, not to talk of governor his two term governorship. That should tell you that it won't stop him from becoming president if he's destined to. When will you start promoting Atiku Abubakar instead of attacking Tinubu? You must be really terrified that he might actually win. Guy, las las you go jus japa o.
We are talking president here not governor.

It affects everybody Igbo or not.

Buhari is affecting everybody.
True or false?
Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by CSTR2: 3:50pm On Oct 16, 2021
When some people talk about tinubu.

I don't know if they think he is going to be president of only their region?

As president, he is going to influence the macro and microeconomics, infrastructure, health Care, standard of living of every man woman and child in Nigeria.
Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by Throwback: 3:50pm On Oct 16, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Then why hasn't Tinubu visit america after his drug case started in the U.S?

Or is america no longer a beautiful country undecided

You are obviously ignorant and you needlessly exposed your need for education.

Education is not free, but knowledge abound freely on the Internet, so stop shaming yourself.

59 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by PrinceOfLagos: 3:51pm On Oct 16, 2021
AbijaJ:

And you are doing a terrible job for those bankrolling your Tinubu obsession.
Nobody is bankrolling me

I just feel that a questionable character like Tinubu should not lead the country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by AbijaJ: 3:52pm On Oct 16, 2021
CSTR2:

We are talking president here not governor.

It affects everybody Igbo or not.

Buhari is affecting everybody.
True or false?

Well, if anything, this igbo obsession with Tinubu is a clear indication that he's on track to becoming your next president. grin cheesy Yeah, I know it is a tough pill to swallow, but if you survived Buhari, Tinubu can't be any worse, right? Lol. You people said worse about Buhari, yet he's in his 2nd tenure today.

60 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by PrinceOfLagos: 3:53pm On Oct 16, 2021
AbijaJ:

Well, if anything, this igbo obsession with Tinubu is a clear indication that he's on track to becoming your next president. grin cheesy Yeah, I know it is a tough pill to swallow, but if you survived Buhari, Tinubu can't be any worse, right? Lol. You people said worse about Buhari, yet he's in his 2nd tenure.
He won't be president till he clears the drug case dangling n his neck
Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by AbijaJ: 3:55pm On Oct 16, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Nobody is bankrolling me

I just feel that a questionable character like Tinubu should not lead the country

Werey dey disguise. Lol. I thought you said the odds are against him, and that he's not destined to be president. So why you con dey foam for mouth over Tinubu every day? Las las, you go dey alright. Lol.

61 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by Charmingrascal(m): 3:55pm On Oct 16, 2021
Corporate2020:
Una go cry tire.

Bring out your own candidate and campaign. But you no get. Power is taken, not given. The Presidency will not be zoned to your village. If you want it, come out and fight for it. If you don't fight for it, you have no chance of getting it; because Power will never be given to you on a platter of God. Come out and fight for it or shut the fucck up.

Dear PrinceofLagos, this is the best advice.
"Bring out your own candidate and campaign"

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by temitope27(m): 3:56pm On Oct 16, 2021
Some people will just get heart attack because of this man grin thou I will never support him for president

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by AbijaJ: 3:59pm On Oct 16, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

He won't be president till he clears the drug case dangling n his neck

Lol. Unfortunately for you, you and your ilk can't decide who becomes the next president of Nigeria. Never have, never will.

58 Likes

Re: Tinubu Could Become The Second President With A Drug Past After Noriega by helinues: 4:02pm On Oct 16, 2021
Free campaign for Tinubu.

Keep it rolling

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What If The North Retains Power In 2023,what Will Happen? / If PDP Picks Okowa, They Have Lost Support Of Wike, Makinde And Fayose / Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, a First Class In Accounting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.