Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,039 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

IT Experts, Please Advise. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / IT Experts, Please Advise. (1208 Views)

Please Advise: What Should Be My Reply To My Boss / Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise / I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IT Experts, Please Advise. by Aremu01(m): 4:08pm On Oct 16, 2021
A little background info about me

I am in my early 30s, completed BSc Mechanical Engineering in 2013 searched and searched for job, nothing till I went for my MSc... From 2017 to 2019.
I searched for jobs, got plenty interviews and tests, some I scaled to the final stage, some I was disqualified at the second or third stage till I eventually jus decided to stop applying for jobs. Even the one that I scaled through and was called to prepare for resumption, they later mailed me that my age is has disqualified me.
Out of my disdain for the Nigeria job market, I have not even gone for my MSc certificate, although I had an Mphil grade.
While I had a high passion for engineering when I gained admission, not getting a place to practice nor getting a work experience made me loose every passion I had for it.
Currently I work as a freelance writer and to the glory of God I am comfortable.

Here's what I need advise with

I am planning to divert into another field entirely not related to engineering, via another undergraduate course. I am thinking of studying IT or computer science in another country.
I will like experts in the house to advise me in the job prospects, not in Nigeria of course, I have had enough with this country.

What are the possible career paths?
How easy will it be for someone over 30 years?
Before I commit the next four years of my life to this parole... Pls advise me..

Thanks and I appreciate you all...
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Kindly do justice
Thanks

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Stephenomozzy(m): 4:13pm On Oct 16, 2021
Following.... I am in this same boat too (but I wanna use the next two years while getting my Degree) to be industry ready in IT too

...would love to hear the career paths suggested by the elders
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by RepoMan007: 9:24pm On Oct 16, 2021
It is always good to state your skills and area of specialization in discussions like these. I might have the need for making some service parts and not know whether you are capable or not.
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Aremu01(m): 6:06am On Oct 17, 2021
RepoMan007:
It is always good to state your skills and area of specialization in discussions like these. I might have the need for making some service parts and not know whether you are capable or not.

Thanks for the response
I have zero knowledge in anything IT
Why I am considering starting undergraduate afresh
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Akosxxx(m): 2:26pm On Oct 19, 2021
I'm in the same boat as you OP but instead of a degree, I'm considering technical training in IT.
I'm in my late 20s which is why I think programming is out of it. I'm thinking Data Science or Python (I don't know anything about it but I've been seeing it recommended on online platforms).

Please can anyone suggest a good IT training school that can teach me any of these. I'm currently in Lagos
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Aremu01(m): 10:01am On Oct 20, 2021
Lalasticlala
Give us some view please
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Kenox: 10:53am On Oct 20, 2021
Aremu01:

I am in my early 30s, completed BSc Mechanical Engineering in 2013 searched and searched for job, nothing till I went for my MSc... From 2017 to 2019.
I searched for jobs, got plenty interviews and tests, some I scaled to the final stage, some I was disqualified at the second or third stage till I eventually jus decided to stop applying for jobs. Even the one that I scaled through and was called to prepare for resumption, they later mailed me that my age is has disqualified me.
Out of my disdain for the Nigeria job market, I have not even gone for my MSc certificate, although I had an Mphil grade.
While I had a high passion for engineering when I gained admission, not getting a place to practice nor getting a work experience made me loose every passion I had for it.
Currently I work as a freelance writer and to the glory of God I am comfortable.

I am planning to divert into another field entirely not related to engineering, via another undergraduate course. I am thinking of studying IT or computer science in another country.
I will like experts in the house to advise me in the job prospects, not in Nigeria of course, I have had enough with this country.

Before I commit the next four years of my life to this parole... Pls advise me..

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Kindly do justice
Thanks

I suggest you learn a Skill in IT
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Historicalee: 4:49pm On Oct 20, 2021
Aremu01:

Thanks for the response
I have zero knowledge in anything IT
Why I am considering starting undergraduate afresh

If you are very visual, go for Graphics Design, UI/UX, Video editing and Colour grading.

If coding is your thing, start with either Java or HTML, CSS and JavaScript or Python.

You can consider taking a professional certification like Comptia, CCNA, Linux administration etc.

Akosxxx:
I'm in I'm thinking Data Science or Python (I don't know anything about it but I've been seeing it recommended on online platforms).

Please can anyone suggest a good IT training school that can teach me any of these. I'm currently in Lagos

You need Python for Data Science.

As for IT schools, depends on your budget, location preference and mode of learning, there are a ton. Provide more information on the aforementioned for better guidance.
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Akosxxx(m): 5:14pm On Oct 20, 2021
Historicalee:

You need Python for Data Science.

As for IT schools, depends on your budget, location preference and mode of learning, there are a ton. Provide more information on the aforementioned for better guidance.

I think Data Science is great but I'll welcome recommendations though.
Also I'd prefer location to be in Ikeja and environs because I currently reside in Oshodi and my budget is 40k.
I'm patiently waiting to for your recommendations.
Thanks
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Historicalee: 6:13pm On Oct 20, 2021
Akosxxx:

I think Data Science is great but I'll welcome recommendations though.
Also I'd prefer location to be in Ikeja and environs because I currently reside in Oshodi and my budget is 40k.
I'm patiently waiting to for your recommendations.
Thanks

Drop your mail, i will send you a link.
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Akosxxx(m): 7:54am On Oct 21, 2021
Historicalee:

Drop your mail, i will send you a link.
@gmail.com

Thanks again
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by uche393: 8:20am On Oct 21, 2021
I studied marketing.

Undergraduate outside Nigeria is not easy from my experience.

My plan is to enroll in information technology or computer science in national open University.

This will give me the privilege to learn software development fully while studying and also working.

Since you are already in maths related you might start learning python development

2 Likes

Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Aremu01(m): 10:04am On Oct 21, 2021
uche393:
Me I will be 25 next year, I studied marketing.

Undergraduate outside Nigeria is not easy from my experience.

My plan is to enroll in information technology or computer science in national open University.

This will give me the privilege to learn software development fully while studying and also working.

Since you are already in maths related you might start learning python development

Thanks... I plan to take a couple of courses on udemy and use YouTube videos as well
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by phollynamylus: 2:36pm On Oct 21, 2021
Akosxxx:
I'm in the same boat as you OP but instead of a degree, I'm considering technical training in IT.
I'm in my late 20s which is why I think programming is out of it. I'm thinking Data Science or Python (I don't know anything about it but I've been seeing it recommended on online platforms).

Python is a programming language and Data Science is one of its application, so considering that, programming is not out of it sir
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by BigDawsNet: 5:10pm On Oct 21, 2021
Aremu01:

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Kindly do justice
Thanks

Try the UK

A guy just got a permit for bsc program in UK in his early 30s
3yrs should cost you about £45,000 excluded Living expenses...

As per job after studies...
You should have been able to earn a massive IT skills within that 3 years to compete a job with Home citizens and foreigners like you...

Be positive... Your skills will be the key

Just check ur accountt balanc first before you begin the process

Goodluck
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by uche393: 6:02pm On Oct 21, 2021
Aremu01:

Thanks... I plan to take a couple of courses on udemy and use YouTube videos as well
use freetutorialsus instead ( full paid udemy courses)
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Aremu01(m): 6:37pm On Oct 21, 2021
uche393:
use freetutorialsus instead ( full paid udemy courses)

Wow
Thanks very much
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Aremu01(m): 6:39pm On Oct 21, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Try the UK

A guy just got a permit for bsc program in UK in his early 30s
3yrs should cost you about £45,000 excluded Living expenses...

As per job after studies...
You should have been able to earn a massive IT skills within that 3 years to compete a job with Home citizens and foreigners like you...

Be positive... Your skills will be the key

Just check ur accountt balanc first before you begin the process

Goodluck

My brother my brother...
Wish I had that kind money for Uk
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Akosxxx(m): 6:46pm On Oct 21, 2021
[quote author=phollynamylus post=106935885][/quote]

Python just keep popping up everywhere for me lol.
You ve pointed out that Data Science is an application of Python, perhaps that's a 2-in-1 package for me then since I can both learn Data Science and Python together.
Programming might not be out of it
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by BigDawsNet: 6:54pm On Oct 21, 2021
Aremu01:

My brother my brother...
Wish I had that kind money for Uk

Almighty will provide for you!

1 Like

Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Aremu01(m): 10:00am On Oct 22, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Almighty will provide for you!

Thanks boss
Amen

1 Like

Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Nozino: 12:59am On May 04, 2022
Aremu01:

Thanks boss
Amen

Hello sir, I read your diary and I felt very emotional. I would like to point out that your wife must be an Angel considering how supportive she is.

I also read Mechanical Engineering and I have a few Ph.D admit for fall 2022(Industrial Engineering). I’m still waiting on funding decisions.

I don’t know your whole story but if your wife can get into a Nursing school that will surely help. It’s just 3 years and most nursing schools haven’t released forms yet so she can prepare ( hopefully she has the right olvl combination).

Even if you succeed in jakpaing, she can join you as a nurse and you can imagine how much she will be able to pull in yearly.

Consider sending Madam to a nursing school while you pursue a Master’s in Engineering.

P.S: I’m not sure if you’re interested in Turkey, I posted a link to a fully funded scholarship in turkey on the Turkey visa thread. Check it out if you’re interested. I already applied to the M.sc Industrial Engineering program there.
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Aremu01(m): 5:44pm On May 05, 2022
Nozino:

Hello sir, I read your diary and I felt very emotional. I would like to point out that your wife must be an Angel considering how supportive she is.

I also read Mechanical Engineering and I have a few Ph.D admit for fall 2022(Industrial Engineering). I’m still waiting on funding decisions.

I don’t know your whole story but if your wife can get into a Nursing school that will surely help. It’s just 3 years and most nursing schools haven’t released forms yet so she can prepare ( hopefully she has the right olvl combination).

Even if you succeed in jakpaing, she can join you as a nurse and you can imagine how much she will be able to pull in yearly.

Consider sending Madam to a nursing school while you pursue a Master’s in Engineering.

P.S: I’m not sure if you’re interested in Turkey, I posted a link to a fully funded scholarship in turkey on the Turkey visa thread. Check it out if you’re interested. I already applied to the M.sc Industrial Engineering program there.

Thanks so so much my good man.
I intentionally just abandoned the diary to focus on the journey...
I intend to resume soon.
You have made some valid point and I will consider it out. I am so very grateful sir
Re: IT Experts, Please Advise. by Nozino: 7:04pm On May 05, 2022
Aremu01:

Thanks so so much my good man.
I intentionally just abandoned the diary to focus on the journey...
I intend to resume soon.
You have made some valid point and I will consider it out. I am so very grateful sir

God bless you and your family.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Need Ican/ats Study Packs At Affordable Prices? / Deleted / Kunle Kalejaiye, SAN - Struck Off The Roll Of Legal Practitioners In Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.