Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,055 members, 7,810,943 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? (2840 Views)

Why Are Atheists All Over The World So Slow And Irrational / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Religion Section 'awards Night' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by eccentric(m): 8:35pm On Jun 01, 2011
Beats my mind. I've been frequenting this side of NL and have been wondering why I keep seeing a lot of agnostics and skeptics in almost every thread. What on earth are they doing here or has Atheism become a religion? Do pls enlighten me.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by yommyuk: 9:04pm On Jun 01, 2011
Don't be suprised @ post

Wherever there is pooo, flies must come to play. undecided
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by dare2think: 10:04pm On Jun 01, 2011
Because they are people too, and this is a people orientated site where everyone is entitled to their opinions regardless of their background.

Why the discrimination?

If you want a site where you don't want a certain calibre of people,

My advice,

Create your own site.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by alaper: 10:33pm On Jun 01, 2011
eccentric:

Beats my mind. I've been frequenting this side of NL and have been wondering why I keep seeing a lot of agnostics and skeptics in almost every thread.  What on earth are they doing here or has Atheism become a religion? Do pls enlighten me.

You must be born at least twice to qualify for the religion section! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
To be a moderator, you will need to speak in at least ten tongues tongue tongue
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by eccentric(m): 5:57am On Jun 02, 2011
@ dare2think: Don't get me wrong i aint hatin on the atheists. (God bless their poor souls) I may not be in support of their beliefs hwvr I think they are tha coolest when it comes 2 erudition and intellectualism. They are quite 'smart' and full of logic but I can't help finking: if u can't stand a group of people why pay them endless courtesy visits? It's like tha guy who says he detests a lady yet he won't stop talking about her and won't quit hanging around her family? still wondering,
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:52am On Jun 02, 2011
@poster, Atheists are simply trying to save your souls grin
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by zstranger: 10:14am On Jun 02, 2011
There are no Atheists on NL, or in Nigeria for that matter. Since Tai Solarin demise, Atheism has died a natural death
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by thehomer: 9:36pm On Jun 02, 2011
yommyuk:

Don't be suprised @ post

Wherever there is pooo, flies must come to play. undecided

In this metaphor, which noun stands for religion?
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by thehomer: 9:37pm On Jun 02, 2011
eccentric:

Beats my mind. I've been frequenting this side of NL and have been wondering why I keep seeing a lot of agnostics and skeptics in almost every thread. What on earth are they doing here or has Atheism become a religion? Do pls enlighten me.

Maybe they're combating the poor rationales given for religious beliefs.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by eccentric(m): 11:27am On Jun 03, 2011
@lagerwhenindoubt :Trying to save souls? Is there a secular hell for all believers? I thought that was vice- versa. If atheists are now envagelizing then shouldn't they start a church or perhaps there should be a thread in NL for atheists.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:53pm On Jun 03, 2011
eccentric:

@lagerwhenindoubt :Trying to save souls? Is there a secular hell for all believers? I thought that was vice- versa. If atheists are now envagelizing then shouldn't they start a church or perhaps there should be a thread in NL for atheists.

You do not require a Church or a Religion or a Cult or a Brotherhood to preach a Universal Truth. one of such universal truths is this Love is the Beginning and the End If you understand the True Nature of Love, you need not follow so-called "God-inspired" (Human delivered - obviously for selfish reasons) literature of ancient tribes with "pagan" origins that the religious masses continue to blissfully ignore. If you understand Love, you will truly know God, whether he be Jewish, Arabic, Yoruba, Igbo, Orisha, IFA, Greek, Indian, Creole or Mayan.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by benodic: 1:43pm On Jun 03, 2011
@ lagerwhenindoubt (m)

You do not require a Church or a Religion or a Cult or a Brotherhood to preach a Universal Truth. one of such universal truths is this Love is the Beginning and the End If you understand the True Nature of Love, you need not follow so-called "God-inspired" (Human delivered - obviously for selfish reasons) literature of ancient tribes with "pagan" origins that the religious masses continue to blissfully ignore. If you understand Love, you will truly know God, whether he be Jewish, Arabic, Yoruba, Igbo, Orisha, IFA, Greek, Indian, Creole or Mayan.

thank you so much my brother. you have actually said it all. really i have always been impressed by the few atheists that i have come across in life. they have such a passion for life.
i believe that no one knows it all and we all have something to learn from each other. i like atheists a lot because they keep me on my toes and enables me to use my reasoning faculties to question my believes and put my believes under scrutiny.
common sense they said is not common at all. one should not lose his or her common sense in the name of religion.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jun 03, 2011
@ thehomer
Nearly missed that , bet the guy can't see the irony of his statement.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 03, 2011
Reminds me of a statement Jack Nicholson made - my mother never sees the irony when she calls me son of a biattch
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by vedaxcool(m): 2:40pm On Jun 03, 2011
eccentric:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, secular hell indeed!

But maybe they come to the religion section because they have no higher importance than to exist, no insult intended and like thehommer say, they want to "refute" religion.what a functional universe we live in.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by dare2think: 2:42pm On Jun 03, 2011
Benodic

Dude. You took the words out of my mouth.

At the end of the day. We are all GOD or NATURE's children.

Love should transcend religion or doctrine. Unfortunately, the religious folks that are meant to preach love and compassion are busy preaching doctrine in a bigoted manner.

Ironic.  

Nice one benodic.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by vedaxcool(m): 6:57pm On Jun 03, 2011
or Nature? this same nature that you cannot adequately explain what it actually is.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 03, 2011
loving Benodic's reply,

God is love, Jesus demonstrated this so perfectly
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by mazaje(m): 7:13pm On Jun 03, 2011
vedaxcool:

or Nature? this same nature that you cannot adequately explain what it actually is.

Since when did you or those that came up with the religion you subscribe to adequately explain what Allah is ?

@ OP

Atheist have the right to be here just like any body else. . . .Many come here for many reasons, I come here to show people that their various religions are not really what think they are and I try to let them see that it is VERY perfectly OK to be an atheist since all the religions are man made in reality. . . . .
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by manmustwac(m): 9:01pm On Jun 03, 2011
There are two sides to coin and we are here to show you the other aide of the coin
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by thehomer: 10:44pm On Jun 03, 2011
apocalypse:

@ thehomer
Nearly missed that , bet the guy can't see the irony of his statement.

Maybe he has since he has refused to answer.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by harakiri(m): 10:44pm On Jun 03, 2011
@poster. . . A lot of atheists are people who were once religious and ever since the scales of deciet a.k.a religion fell of their eyes, they try as much as they can to show others the sham in religion. For example. . . CAN YOU SHOW CONCRETE PROOF OF THE EXISTENCE OF THE BIBLICAL GOD WITHOUT REFERRING TO THAT SAME BIBLE WHICH HAS NO VERIFICATION? Hmmm? Tongue tied? Thought so. . .lol
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by thehomer: 10:49pm On Jun 03, 2011
zstranger:

There are no Atheists on NL, or in Nigeria for that matter. Since Tai Solarin demise, Atheism has died a natural death

Of course. This sort of statement makes me shake my head in wonder. What do you tell yourself when you encounter an atheist in Nigeria or on Nairaland? Do you wish them away?
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by zstranger: 5:30am On Jun 04, 2011
^^^^

Most of them are just wannabes who dont know what they are talking?

Atheism snt just about not believing, there is much more to it that that!

And, I doubt most Nigerians understand what they say when they call themselves atheists.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 04, 2011
@zstranger
I doubt nigerians know wat they are talking about when they talk about jesus, mohammed, or their ancestors.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by zstranger: 7:14am On Jun 04, 2011
^^^^

You do have a point?
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by harakiri(m): 9:00am On Jun 04, 2011
@zstranger. . . You say Nigerian atheists don't know what they are talking about. Fine. Can you explain what you understand by ATHEISISM and also explain why you think Atheists in Nigeria aren't real? Is it because they are Nigerians or perhaps they don't have "white skin"? Is this another "nothing good can come out of Nigeria" mentality?
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by zstranger: 10:25am On Jun 04, 2011
harakiri:

@zstranger. . . You say Nigerian atheists don't know what they are talking about. Fine. Can you explain what you understand by ATHEISISM and also explain why you think Atheists in Nigeria aren't real? Is it because they are Nigerians or perhaps they don't have "white skin"? Is this another "nothing good can come out of Nigeria" mentality?

What I understand by atheism?

Why do you want to make the thread about me? Are you an "atheist?" grin
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by harakiri(m): 10:39am On Jun 04, 2011
zstranger:

What I understand by atheism?

Why do you want to make the thread about me? Are you an "atheist?" grin

I merely asked a question and i'm not making a thread about you and YES. . .I am an Atheist. Back to the topic. . .you made statements that imply "there are no Nigerian atheists" so i want to know what you understand by the term ATHEISM and reasons why you believe there are no Nigerian atheists. I mean come on, you can't make such bold statements without credible back up can you? Hmmm?
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by zstranger: 12:00pm On Jun 04, 2011
harakiri:

I merely asked a question and i'm not making a thread about you and YES. . .I am an Atheist. Back to the topic. . .you made statements that imply "there are no Nigerian atheists" so i want to know what you understand by the term ATHEISM and reasons why you believe there are no Nigerian atheists. I mean come on, you can't make such bold statements without credible back up can you? Hmmm?

Yes, I meant that I am yet to see a real atheists of Nigerian descent besides Tai Solarin. And even Tai Solarin isnt an atheist per se.

The burden is on you to tell me why you are an atheist, not on me to prove to you why YOU ARE NOT.

You have to tell me why you think you are an atheist.
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:30pm On Jun 04, 2011
zstranger:

Yes, I meant that I am yet to see a real atheists of Nigerian descent besides Tai Solarin. And even Tai Solarin[b] isnt an atheist per se[/b].

The[b] burden is on you[/b] to tell me why you are an atheist, not on me to prove to you why YOU ARE NOT.

can your un-riddle me please? what is your end-game so I can spare some brain-cells smiley
Re: What Are Atheists Doing In The Religion Section Of Nairaland? by thehomer: 7:57pm On Jun 04, 2011
zstranger:

Yes, I meant that I am yet to see a real atheists of Nigerian descent besides Tai Solarin. And even Tai Solarin isnt an atheist per se.

The burden is on you to tell me why you are an atheist, not on me to prove to you why YOU ARE NOT.

Actually, if such a discussion is to progress, you need to clarify what you mean by atheism. Think of it this way. If someone said "there are no Christians in Nigeria" would you not expect the person to clarify what they mean? If the person defines Christian as "someone who literally follows all of Jesus' commands, recommendations and instructions, then we may agree but if the person defines Christian as maybe a Bible believer or something that vague, then clearly, that person is mistaken.
So, why don't you clearly define or explain what you mean by atheism?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prophet Joshua Iginla’s SHOCKING 2015 Predictions / In A World Of Spirits And No Science. / Did Jesus Smoke Weed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.