Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,163 members, 7,818,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers (22074 Views)

CBN Sells Over $300m To Banks As Naira Gains / $300M BUA Sugar Factory In Kwara Is Nearing Completion. PHOTOS / 91% Of Nigerian Importers Are Smugglers – Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by sulaak(m): 12:28pm On Oct 18, 2021
einsteine:

Nigeria can never be sufficient in rice production. Believe the FG propaganda at your own peril. Not in quantity, definitely not in quality can Nigeria meet up. By the way, Fulani herdsmen did not chase rice farmers. An overwhelming majority of rice farmers are in the North West which is another reason (ethnic undertone) for the FG's support of rice farming.

My advice to the rice farmers is that they should better save their windfall because one day, a pharaoh would come and he would not remember Joseph.

The Fulani /farmers clash is more prevalent in the North West. Nigeria can be self-sufficient in food production and become a major food export, the country needs competent political leaders and not the rubbish from APC/PDP
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 18, 2021
jchioma:
The costs will be transferred to the final consumers. That's how it works.

Expect the price of rice to rise astronomically this Christmas season.

Exactly what I wanted to type. The Final Consumers always bear the "Most Brunt & Damages".....

1 Like

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by tctrills: 12:32pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:
We need to eat local rice more often, imagine the millons of dollars we are enriching other countries. How will our economy ever grow this way. It saddens me how we Nigerians can't encourage one another to become better and spend this money in the country. Presently there is scarcity of money, the flow is directed to places it is not needed that often.

We need to start buying and producing,this is the only way we can get better. Rome was not built in a day

Modified
Let me enlightened you on this quickly

See the north east states
Maiduguri,yobe Adamawa Bauchi are the largest producers of beans in Nigeria, it is a sad thing the insurgency that has affected this regions,farmers died,some where displaced and now staying in idps, the others remaining are scared of going to farm.

The Nigeria population is increasing everyday with no sustainable development or plan to ensure safety and good health.
Initially even with this states we still didn't meet up with production, in the space of 10 years the price of beans has increased dramatically and it all point out to the low supply and high demand.

Now fast forward to our present day, the north west and central are being ravage by bandits and herdsmen. Many where killed,many are being displaced. The rest put of fear won't go to farm. Many are being maimed and hands cut off this is the present situation up north, we are now left with lesser supply in the market, I tell you the level of food scarcity this country will face next year eyes has not seen neither has ear heard.

It is true naira fell furthermore to the dollars and cost of import goods increase, I wonder why Nigeria still imports fertilizer, aside that we don't even have the larger number of farmers going to farm, rain and climate change affected alot of harvest in the country...hike in price is inevitable,the risk of transporting grains in Nigeria has trippled, we must eat. What are we going to do.
It's not like local rice is cheap.
The problem is that Nigeria has one of the lowest rice yields per acre in the world at 2 tonnes per acre. Already, both our federal and state governments have poured billions into growing rice. Our governments invest more in rice farming than any other crop.
If I were in charge, I would rather invest in crops with high yields in Nigeria, export them then, allow the import of rice. That way, we could balance the foreign exchange and grow the agric sector.

1 Like

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:
We need to eat local rice more often, imagine the millons of dollars we are enriching other countries. How will our economy ever grow this way. It saddens me how we Nigerians can't encourage one another to become better and spend this money in the country. Presently there is scarcity of money, the flow is directed to places it is not needed that often.

We need to start buying and producing,this is the only way we can get better. Rome was not built in a day

Modified

Maiduguri,yobe Adamawa Bauchi are the largest producers of beans in Nigeria, it is a sad thing the [b]insurgency [/b]that has affected this regions,farmers died,some where displaced and now staying in idps, the others remaining are scared of going to farm.

The Nigeria population is increasing everyday with no sustainable development or plan to ensure safety and good health.
Initially even with this states we still didn't meet up with production, in the space of 10 years the price of beans has increased dramatically and it all point out to the low supply and high demand.

Now fast forward to our present day, the north west and central are being ravage by bandits and herdsmen. Many where killed,many are being displaced. The rest put of fear won't go to farm. Many are being maimed and hands cut off this is the present situation up north, we are now left with lesser supply in the market, I tell you the level of food scarcity this country will face next year eyes has not seen neither has ear heard.

It is true naira fell furthermore to the dollars and cost of import goods increase, I wonder why Nigeria still imports fertilizer, aside that we don't even have the larger number of farmers going to farm, rain and climate change affected alot of harvest in the country...hike in price is inevitable,the risk of transporting grains in Nigeria has trippled, we must eat. What are we going to do.

You are right - we do need local production capacity from seedlings, farming, harvest, milling, transportation to distribution. the entire value chain will not only bring about strengthening the local economy, but also improve the quality. I imagine this is what Buhari and his advisers thought up when they imposed border closure for this product. Unfortunately, it was more an ill-timed and poorly-informed decision because...

1: Rice-farming is mostly subsistence with very few local (BIG) players who have monopolized the market - I don't see how they can compete without funding and direction from the Government. Closing borders only created an artificial inflation which we are still suffering from - Poor-quality at International (Imported Rice) prices

2: Since the FG knows about this key staple and its potential for revolutionizing the economies of the sub-region, why did they not strive to industrialize the sector and fund it at least 80% in the next 5-10 years? . what was the Bank of Industry (BOI) doing with their stash of Naira funds long-devalued by the exchange rate situation.. Farmers are still using their hand tools and family members to farm for West Africa.. imaging what modern tech can do.. anyway I leave that to the illiterates in power to answer.

3: Please desist from calling them "Insurgents" (Freedom Fighters) because they are not - they are opportunistic and politically driven just like ISIS. Insurgency is when a group (with members formerly with the present government) rebels and tries to free nations from real or perceived oppression of the central government. These "TERRORISTS" have paralized the local economies of the Northern region and have turned already impoverished citiziens into kidnappers and bandits. FG has spent over $94 billion dollars with the Nigerian Armed forces fighting "Insurgency" sine 2015.. We are yet to see any positive news except that murders are not going to answer for their crimes of well over 10,000 deaths because they have become "repentant" and will still cost $$$ to rehabilitate and re-integrate them back into the impoverished society they came from.. meanwhile.. you cannot have repentant insurgents only repentant terrorists (Google it)
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by baralatie(m): 12:33pm On Oct 18, 2021
ArcSEMPECJ:
What's so special about foreign rice that our own rice farmers can't be equiped with to give the same quality??
Or are they of different species?
Can't those ones grow favourably in Nigeria?
Do those countries buy our own rice as well?

We claim we are independent but our brains and main power are still not independent of a neighbouring environment.....
Our Government is busy chasing clowns and shadows .

My Signature.....my hobby......
Check my signature for your building Designs and Constructions.....
Well let us just say the local rice initiative was mismanaged hence this issue persists
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Barryseal: 12:39pm On Oct 18, 2021
einsteine:
2 million tonnes is 40 million bags of rice. Nigeria eats a lot of rice and there's no way we can compete with Asian countries on it. The correct thing to do is to focus on crops where we have significant advantage (Sweet potatoes, cassava, Yam, Oil Palm, Rubber, Cocoa) and use it to earn revenue rather than force ourselves to produce substandard rice at high cost while earning illegal millions for customs operators because we have placed an ineffective ban on foreign rice.

But I guess our leaders do not believe in the principle of comparative advantage.

Exactly my thought. We have no comparative advantage in rice production. Rice yield per hectare here is about 3tonnes while it's stands at 9tonnes per hectare in Brazil and Thailand. We can't compete with these people on the international market, rice is not even native to us.

1 Like

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by goody234: 12:41pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Modified

Maiduguri,yobe Adamawa Bauchi are the largest producers of beans in Nigeria, it is a sad thing the insurgency that has affected this regions,farmers died,some where displaced and now staying in idps, the others remaining are scared of going to farm.

Farmers should be given 100% incentive to produce food ...interest free loans etc ....there is just no planning going on in this country i tire ...mediocrity is so rife

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by poiZon: 1:11pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

It's not suppose to be, it is our own greed that is causing all this, we should understand where we are presently financially.things are hard, wickedness has increase. We just need people to come to their senses and help one another grow.
How much is rice, how much is beans, how much is garri, how much is maize?
We imported rice during goodluck days, that made rice farming not viable for investors and local farmers. Thats what they told us. But what happened to garri, were we also importing garri amd beans?
What happened?
Is beans also smuggled thru the borders and was garri imported from china back then?
Go and check budgetary provisions for agriculture since buhari came in then juxtapose it with the noise and propaganda been made by the administration.
These guys r lying idiots, they lie on paper but in actual sense they do little compare to what was obtainable back then.
Go and read Dr akinwumi adesina's speech he made last week Tues during the midterm appraisal by the govt.
I haven't heard any buhari minister or garba shehu debunk what adesina said about policies he made and why food stuffs including rice is now costly.

U can't be talking of diversification but appropriate little monies to those sectors u want to drive ur diversification plans.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by APCNig: 1:12pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Modified

We will not buy local rice because local rice farmers are heartless thieves who will all burn in the lake of Hell-Fire. Local rice was formerly 5,000 Naira, but when the useless goat hiding inside the Rock locked all Southern borders and left Northern borders opened, heartless rice farmers increase the price of their stone fills low mineral rice by about 500% because the price of smuggled rice increased by about 300%.

All local rice farmers will die by Thunder.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 18, 2021
babyfaceafrica:
Then we eat abakalaki eyes or kebbi rice.. Na by force to chop Thai rice

You and who wan follow eat Abakaliki rice?
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by NinjaXmetahuman: 1:35pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

It is true naira fell furthermore to the dollars and cost of import goods increase, I wonder why Nigeria still imports fertilizer, aside that we don't even have the larger number of farmers going to farm, rain and climate change affected alot of harvest in the country...hike in price is inevitable,the risk of transporting grains in Nigeria has trippled, we must eat. What are we going to do
Mt enlightener.

Now use you explanation for other locally produced goods like cassava etc

Are they making cassava in Maiduguri too?
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Solsix(m): 1:58pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Modified

Pls tell that to elites, local rice sure for me now
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Incredible128: 2:01pm On Oct 18, 2021
22o62021:
Them still dey impor foreign rice come this country
me self surprise o! I no fit remember the last tym wey I see d stuff sef grin grin
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Johel(m): 2:26pm On Oct 18, 2021
dawnomike:
Rice hike to be expected soon...

E don set...Naija is gone!.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Asquare84(m): 2:34pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Modified

Sponsor publication by rice importer, how many people in Nigeria still consume imported rice when you.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Asquare84(m): 2:34pm On Oct 18, 2021
22o62021:
Them still dey impor foreign rice come this country

Sponsor publication by rice importer.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Asquare84(m): 2:36pm On Oct 18, 2021
babyfaceafrica:
Then we eat abakalaki eyes or kebbi rice.. Na by force to chop Thai rice

Don't mind this fake publication, when was the last time you see foreign rice in nigeria again.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by nedekid: 3:07pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Modified

A friend in the UK when he heard buhari was likely to win the elections screamed. This guy had just returned to the UK after staying in sierra Leone. He predicted that baba will turn Nigeria to that country. This guy said in that country, the people were so poor, Nigerians have not seen poverty! He said the men are skinny. You go to the market, just small meat, tiny tomatoes etc in the whole market at crazy prices. You imagine a whole market with just 1 basket of tomato to sell. People cannot afford anything.
Naija seems to be heading in that direction. Let's pray a uturn is possible.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Yankee101: 3:28pm On Oct 18, 2021
Thought they banned foreign rice?
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Nigerialabalaba: 3:52pm On Oct 18, 2021
Rebuke:
Smh. This mumu government just came and poured suffering on Nigerians for no reason. Now yhu see yhur life outside?

We were enjoying our imported rice jeje o but they said they wanted to encourage local production and started banning everything......without first putting things in order.

Yhur fulani bandits are busy killing farmers that would have at least tried their best in farming and the empty brain government said they are encouraging local production.

Unfortunately, when this brainless government finally allows importation of food items as before, some of those food stuffs will never get back to their old prices as before.

Tell me, when are we going to be buying a bag of rice for 13k again and when is tomatoe paste going to be sold for 30Naira again?

Useless government with useless and wicked policies, damaging our economy.

Posterity will never forgive everyone involved in this government that has made life difficult for Nigerians.

Na only you dem write the book of lamentations for aswear2gud.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Cromagnon: 4:21pm On Oct 18, 2021
Maxymilliano:

shocked

And what exactly does Buhari achieved by shutting the borders apart from inflicting more hardship on the citizens
force you to enter farm
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by NLPoliceWoman: 4:29pm On Oct 18, 2021
EjaikreTheViper:
It shall never be well with Buhari and his foolish supporters!

Cc: [b][/b]
Seun Mynd44 Justwise Dominique.
Rule 2

1 Like

Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Naughtysex: 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Modified

How do you expect us to patronize them when they are at the high price
A bag of foreign rice is sold for 27k and sadly a bag of local rice is sold for 25k and you expect me to buy something that will still have stones
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by JesseThunder(m): 5:08pm On Oct 18, 2021
Farmers cant even goto farm anymore...I guess they dropped the hole to pick the gun... moreover banditry pays more than farming to them....

If southerners are this dependant on Northerners for food, I guess we will know scores when the drum start beating.....We southerners no wan learn, we go hear word.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by chaloskyx: 5:54pm On Oct 18, 2021
BUHAHAHAHAHA MY ONE NIGERIANS YOUR COUNTRY JUST KEEPS ON GIVING YOU ONE SURPRISE OR THE OTHER CHAI SEE HOW COUNTRIES ARE USING YOU TO SHINE ONTOP RICE HABA BUT OUR LEADERS ARE LAZY WHY CANT THEY IN PLACE OF RUGA CREATE AN AGRIC DEVELOPMENT FUND IN ALL STATES FOR EACH STATE TO PRODUCE CROPS AND AGRIC PRODUCE COME ON NIGERIA WHY ARE WE JUST LAZY
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Modified

Does Buhari eat local rice?
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:

Modified

God bless ur understanding mind!
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by jchioma: 6:44pm On Oct 18, 2021
erico2k2:

Make we all chop local rice end of story if U bite stone you bite stone grin grin grin

Why you wicked laik dis? Abi you wan break man pkin teeth?

Our elites nor care sha, even if a bag of rice enter N1m.
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by erico2k2(m): 7:25pm On Oct 18, 2021
Coronabirus:

God bless ur understanding mind!
Make U n that guy dey eat ofada rice we go eat imported rice cos nah that rice dem dey eat for Aso rock.Untill Aso rock people eat ofada rice I nor go eat am!
Re: Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers by tee4naija(m): 7:57pm On Oct 18, 2021
But Audu Ogbeh said Thai rice farmers have shut down due to low demand. APC is a scam.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Claims They've Been Begging Banks To Take New Naira Notes / Made In Aba Goods Get A Global Marketing  boost / Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.