Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar (1643 Views)

Poll: Would you be offended, if you were Naomi?

Yes: 50% (1 vote)
No: 50% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Oluchi, Iman, And Naomi Campbell In Rare Pose! / Naomi Campbell Violently Attacked In Paris / Naomi Campbell Is Capble Of Taking Jay Z From Beyonce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by MissyB3(f): 9:50am On Jun 02, 2011
[img]http://4.bp..com/-EhRpWbrk21Y/TeYFzMmfwnI/AAAAAAAADXE/LYi5ZmssREk/s320/11.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-t34d_rFgW6c/TeYGVoRISiI/AAAAAAAADXI/09qEXL9ymp8/s320/22.jpg[/img]

Naomi Campbell is considering taking legal action against Cadbury, after the company launched a new advert that compared her to a chocolate bar. The company unveiled a new campaign last week with a slogan reading "Move over Naomi, there's a new diva in town". And Naomi is mad as hell, lol

"I am shocked. It's upsetting to be described as chocolate, not just for me but for all black women and black people. I do not find any humour in this. It is insulting and hurtful." Naomi told reporters

Cadbury released a statement saying: "It was certainly never our intention to cause any offence and the campaign itself is a light-hearted take on the social pretensions of Cadbury Dairy Milk Bliss,"  "Cadbury takes its responsibility very seriously indeed and we would never produce any marketing activity we felt might cause offence to any section of society."

What do you think, was this offensive? Would you be offended, if you were Naomi?

[img]http://nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L25hb21pY2FtcGJlbGwuanBnfDYwMA==[/img]
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by iice(f): 3:22pm On Jun 02, 2011
I probably would not. Not that easily offended.
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by MissyB3(f): 5:45pm On Jun 02, 2011
I'm easily offended but I seriously doubt this would offend me, if I were Naomi.
I can't see anything offensive in being likened to chocolate.
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by denzel2009: 5:49pm On Jun 02, 2011
I'd be offended if they likened me to ordinary chocolate without nuts.
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by Mynd44: 6:54pm On Jun 02, 2011
These cousins of ours are too sensitive for their own good
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by mamagee3(f): 8:46pm On Jun 02, 2011
Why is she angry?

Doesn't she look like chocolate? I mean look at her in the first picture and you'll know what Cadbury is talking about. grin grin

Naomi Campbell is just trying to get herself in the news. . .
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by tpia5: 9:38pm On Jun 02, 2011
she should be more offended because the ad is rather crappy. Looks amateurish.

thought cadbury did quality ads.
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 03, 2011
Na craze dey worry this cantankerous animal. Always vexed over nothing. It seems this old-cargo model is permanently on her period or something - why is she always irritated?
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by Pweety4me(f): 2:52am On Jun 05, 2011
denzel2009:

I'd be offended if they likened me to ordinary chocolate without nuts.
grin
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by Pweety4me(f): 2:53am On Jun 05, 2011
@OP i dunno iv'e never been chocolote, i mean dark-skinned cheesy tongue
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by tpia5: 3:06am On Jun 05, 2011
very shoddy ad.

cant believe it came from cadbury who i thought did some of the best ones out there.

this one looks as if it came from an elementary school kid, though even their work would be better, i should think.

when 13 year olds are running impressive websites?
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by Dolemite(f): 10:07am On Jun 05, 2011
I don't see them compare white people to snow or milk. undecided
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by MissyB3(f): 8:58pm On Jun 07, 2011
[size=13pt]UPDATE!!![/size]

After all the hoopla, Cadbury has finally removed the 'racist' ad which compared Naomi to a chocolate bar from circulation and issued Naomi a formal apology.

From the Cadbury UK Press Center

Cadbury understands that our latest advertising campaign for Cadbury Dairy Milk Bliss caused upset to Naomi Campbell and her family. Cadbury takes its responsibility to consumers very seriously indeed and we would never deliberately produce any marketing material we felt might cause offence to any section of society. It was not our intention that this campaign should offend Naomi, her family or anybody else and we are sincerely sorry that it has done so.

We can confirm that the advertisement is no longer in circulation and we will not be using it in future marketing for Cadbury Dairy Milk Bliss.

We have been in discussions with Naomi‘s solicitors and can confirm that they have accepted our apology on her behalf as a conclusion to this issue.

Naomi quoted in The Guardian

"I'm pleased that Cadbury have made a 'sincere apology' in regards to their Bliss ad campaign. The advertisement was in poor taste on a number of levels, not least in the way they likened me to their chocolate bar. It is also a shame that it took so long for Cadbury to offer this apology."

"I hope they and other multinationals can learn from this; that offense may not be their intention, but when it is shown that it has caused offense a sincere apology straight away goes a long a way."

"Better still they should avoid causing offense in the first place which is best achieved by having greater diversity at board and senior management level."
Re: Naomi Campbell Offended After Cadbury Likened Her To A Chocolate Bar by tpia5: 8:59pm On Jun 07, 2011
they should apologize to everybody as well for that low quality ad.

did they have budget cuts or something.

(1) (Reply)

Baba Suwe Finally Ordered To Be Released On Friday + Photos Of Court Appearance / Alleged Plot To Castrate And Murder Justin Bieber Revealed! / Why Is Linda Ikeji More Famous Than Seun Of Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.