Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,228 members, 7,811,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job (28768 Views)

QNET Syndicate Held Hundreds Captive In Lagos Over Foreign Job Scam / I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. / My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by lavenjcrown(m): 7:10pm On Oct 21, 2021
I really feel for you and ur pain sis. You have the hustle spirit in you just as me, but the opportunity to get to the peak is the problem.
We just need the grace of God.
Blue001:
Hi Nairalanders,

Last year I lost my Job as an AfterSales Analyst at a multinational company called AlFuttaim in the Peak of the Covid scare in Dubai, UAE. This is when it all began, Paying my rent became a problem, feeding became a problem. At that time the frustration in the country was everywhere due to the lock down and lot of Nigerians joined some illegal activisties in the UAE.

Unlike other nations Known to me, the desperation of Nigerians is quite on the high side so most delved into Yahoo-Yahoo. So it was so rampant and obvious in Dubai then and even now.
The difficulty was much and the lockdown was highly enforced, not giving room for any means of making ends meet.
At that time I had to return to Nigeria, I stayed with my sister’s husband because he was alone during the lockdown hoping to return back to the UAE when the opportunity rises again.
I had to start up a POS business with a 50k support from a family member, but due to the location of the business which is a developing environment, customers traffic was very low, sometimes I made 400 naira daily as profit though the ironic factor was that the closest ATM for cash refill was 600naira daily.
So the business couldn’t thrive. I had to start an analytic firm just to be employed but honestly so many factors I can’t explain here hinders infant industries in Nigeria.
Now in Dubai, Nigerians already have bad names in the communities and employers weren’t willing to considering Nigerians. Though I kept applying to different organizations in Nigeria and in Dubai like wise.
I really never understood the Nigerian market also, when I got some interviews but was turned down as a result of under employment. Three organizations made this clear to me during the interview. So at that time I had to wonder if being qualified for a job is now a curse.
I have had Nigerian HRs contacting me via my LinkedIn portfolio but never landed me any Job.

Now the highlight of the frustration is that, I just got a Job at Dubai with AWRostamani another multinational as a Senior Data Analyst in the internal Audit department, and I am to be paid 9000aed which is like 1.4million naira. Two days ago made it three weeks the HR confirmed the Job as mine instructing that I go to their company’s platform to update my details where she will process my e-employment letter & Visa which I did immediately.
But I never heard from them, I sent mails informing them that I had already created my profile but yet to see an employment letter, yet no response. So on Tuesday (a day before yesterday) I had to call them and this is when the HR told me they are having difficulties processing my employment visa since I am a Nigerian and there is an on going ban on visa processes on Nigerians (aside Tourist Visas). I called some of my friends Nigerians and non-Nigerians living in Dubai to ask if they know any possible way I could go through to get this sorted out, they said it’s impossible because they are very much aware about the Nigeria situation in Dubai.

I dint know when tears began running down my eyes and my mum crying with me because she knows how bad I need a change.

Please Nairalanders, I am a data Analyst with over 5 years experience. Can you please help me with an opportunity or if you know a place I could find an opportunity.

http://linkedin.com/in/solomon-adejoh-5a1991a7
Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by jojothaiv(m): 7:19pm On Oct 21, 2021
JOACHINpedro:
There should be a click button on every computer that reads "SSYNGNM"
I believe it'll save many from the bad lucks that come with being a 9jerian.
Sorry bro

SSYNGNM= Swear Say You No Get Nigeria Mentality
Even with that, baami..

Some 'ekuke' go still wan front like German shepherd, nobi Naija again.
Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by SAFEENG: 7:45pm On Oct 21, 2021
Urhobo Master class starts soon.

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by ibinaboonline: 8:38pm On Oct 21, 2021
Blue001:
Hi Nairalanders,

Last year I lost my Job as an AfterSales Analyst at a multinational company called AlFuttaim in the Peak of the Covid scare in Dubai, UAE. This is when it all began, Paying my rent became a problem, feeding became a problem. At that time the frustration in the country was everywhere due to the lock down and lot of Nigerians joined some illegal activisties in the UAE.

Unlike other nations Known to me, the desperation of Nigerians is quite on the high side so most delved into Yahoo-Yahoo. So it was so rampant and obvious in Dubai then and even now.
The difficulty was much and the lockdown was highly enforced, not giving room for any means of making ends meet.
At that time I had to return to Nigeria, I stayed with my sister’s husband because he was alone during the lockdown hoping to return back to the UAE when the opportunity rises again.
I had to start up a POS business with a 50k support from a family member, but due to the location of the business which is a developing environment, customers traffic was very low, sometimes I made 400 naira daily as profit though the ironic factor was that the closest ATM for cash refill was 600naira daily.
So the business couldn’t thrive. I had to start an analytic firm just to be employed but honestly so many factors I can’t explain here hinders infant industries in Nigeria.
Now in Dubai, Nigerians already have bad names in the communities and employers weren’t willing to considering Nigerians. Though I kept applying to different organizations in Nigeria and in Dubai like wise.
I really never understood the Nigerian market also, when I got some interviews but was turned down as a result of under employment. Three organizations made this clear to me during the interview. So at that time I had to wonder if being qualified for a job is now a curse.
I have had Nigerian HRs contacting me via my LinkedIn portfolio but never landed me any Job.

Now the highlight of the frustration is that, I just got a Job at Dubai with AWRostamani another multinational as a Senior Data Analyst in the internal Audit department, and I am to be paid 9000aed which is like 1.4million naira. Two days ago made it three weeks the HR confirmed the Job as mine instructing that I go to their company’s platform to update my details where she will process my e-employment letter & Visa which I did immediately.
But I never heard from them, I sent mails informing them that I had already created my profile but yet to see an employment letter, yet no response. So on Tuesday (a day before yesterday) I had to call them and this is when the HR told me they are having difficulties processing my employment visa since I am a Nigerian and there is an on going ban on visa processes on Nigerians (aside Tourist Visas). I called some of my friends Nigerians and non-Nigerians living in Dubai to ask if they know any possible way I could go through to get this sorted out, they said it’s impossible because they are very much aware about the Nigeria situation in Dubai.

I dint know when tears began running down my eyes and my mum crying with me because she knows how bad I need a change.

Please Nairalanders, I am a data Analyst with over 5 years experience. Can you please help me with an opportunity or if you know a place I could find an opportunity.

http://linkedin.com/in/solomon-adejoh-5a1991a7
Bro, I almost cried reading this as well. Register on www.indeed.com and search for data analyst jobs. I believe the skill is in high demand and Indeed comes full of them. Just don't forget to look me up and thank me later.

3 Likes

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by colyx1(m): 8:53pm On Oct 21, 2021
One of the biggest gig I was to offer a client on fiverr was turned down by the European client just because I was a Nigerian. We were having a nice conversation until he went to check my profile. He said and I quote "You are a Nigerian, then I said yes. Then next thing he said was I don't do business with Nigerian." I almost cried that day.

1 Like

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by Nobody: 9:31pm On Oct 21, 2021
You must be deaf or you dont listen to Ohamadike Nnamdi Kanu, who has exposed to the world that Zoogeria is a hopeless and irredeemable entity
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by gbemishile: 8:42am On Oct 22, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Bros this same thing that happened to you is exactly the same thing that happened to me last year. I also lost a high paying job cause of living in this shithole zoo of a country. Try and negotiate with them if you can work remotely.
I feel no pity for u at all
It will always continue as long as u portray ur country in a bad light.u think they don't go to social media to read ur comments
Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by gbemishile: 8:44am On Oct 22, 2021
I sincerely feel no pity for all of u
U can't damage the reputation of ur country in the eyes of the world and not expect it's consequences.
Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by gbemishile: 8:29pm On Oct 22, 2021
I have no pity to give to you people.
Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by kkfada(m): 10:46pm On Oct 22, 2021
Can you discuss with them working under your own visa then you process a partner visa in UAE and work with it till its settled. You can still follow up with al futtaim as they are giving priority to their previous employee who were retrenched during the pandemic.. lucky I wasn't retrenched then I still work with IkEA YAS.

1 Like

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by SavageResponse(m): 7:43am On Oct 23, 2021
Truly speaking we Nigerians are terrible people so I don't blame any country that denies entry visa to Nigerians!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Massive Recruitment at Federal University, Kashere Gombe State, May 2015 / I Refused A 200k Per Month Job Because I Cannot Work Under A Woman / Note To Those Working In Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.