Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,898 members, 7,810,451 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

Cuda Sweepers Protest In Calabar: My Reaction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cuda Sweepers Protest In Calabar: My Reaction (188 Views)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Approves Bonus For LAWMA Sweepers / We’re Ready To Be Aso Rock Sweepers, Miyetti Allah Begs Tinubu For Appointment / Ekiti Street Sweepers Protest N5,000 Monthly Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cuda Sweepers Protest In Calabar: My Reaction by finestedim(m): 2:38pm On Oct 21, 2021
The Calabar Urban Development Authority (CUDA) is saddled with among other duties the responsibility of keeping the Cross River State Capital - Calabar clean and green at all times. This is made possible by a group of hard-working, committed and passionate individuals who are hired to ensure that Calabar is of-course made the cleanest and greenest Capital City in Nigeria, a feat the state is famous for in a long time now.

Sadly, on Wednesday, 20th October, 2021, a group of Calabar Streets Sweepers consisting of mostly women stormed the streets of Calabar in protest against the failure of Government to pay them their monthly remunerations of N7,500, spanning for half a dozen months. This action sparked public outcry, emotions, empathy and condemnation of Government's cruel manner of handling the people who daily ensure that Calabar is clean and beautiful for residents to live, and for tourists to visit.

According to information at my disposal, funds allocated for their payment were long disbursed to their superiors, yet these funds are hoarded. This is the height of wickedness, callousness and inhumanity metted on these old and helpless women in this harsh economic situation bedeviling the country. And the people responsible for this evil act are those whose salaries and allowances are promptly paid as at when due, yet fail to pay others their remunerations. The truth is, this is one too many of similar situations happening in the public sector yet to be brought to the public eyes.

However, I blame all the arms of government for failing to perform their constitutional duties of checks and balances. This is not just about the Governor, the Legislature and the Judiciary should also be held responsible for their inaction in matters under their purview. The Executive is particularly inexcusable in this matter. If she had lived up to her responsibilities, this shameful incident would not have occured. The Commissioner for Environment and other relevant agencies should be summoned and questioned immediately. We cannot not continue in this manner.

The Government should be held accountable for their actions and inactions. If we must criticise the Government, we should do so constructively and unbias.The Local Government Councillors, Chairmen, State House of Assembly and the Federal House of Representatives Members, Senators, the Governor and Ministers must all work together, regardless of theirs political affiliations to ensure a better and blessed Cross River State of your dreams.
~ Edim M. Edim
Re: Cuda Sweepers Protest In Calabar: My Reaction by Santdsaint: 3:17pm On Oct 21, 2021
I see how these old woman risk their lives by leaving their houses as early as 5am just to make sure they do the needful. At times some of them are hit by vehicles. Yet they can't be paid this migre salary.The heart of most black men are evil.

(1) (Reply)

Terrorists Are Constructing Schools And Hospitals For Nigerians, An Islamic Grou / How Nnamdi Kanu Sabotage The Implementation Of RUGA / Northerners: The Contenders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.