Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

How Can He Stop Betting? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can He Stop Betting? (858 Views)

And The King Knows When To Stop! Betting Is Addictive, Stop Now. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 7:20pm On Oct 21, 2021
Let’s assume my friend’s name to be T. I’ve noticed this in him since 2019 but I thought he was doing it then due to circumstances our location (where there are lots of students). I visited him on Monday till today and this guy does not even have a sofa in his room, no TV, his laptop is gone, I’m not really happy with the situation I met him and I’m very sure he got money from his parents often as last born even from his elders. While I was with him, his bro sent him 20k which we were both happy money don land. But just the next morning, my friend account was empty. I couldn’t believe my eyes until I checked his betting profile and I saw his stakes. He has used all the money to book odds, virtual games and he lost all. I couldn’t control my annoyance and we fought over it. Yesterday morning when we got up, I dropped 2k in his account so we can get some veggies and cook, while I was in the bathroom, he’d already placed 1,250 virtual game thinking he’ll recover it before I’m out of the bathroom. He lost the money and we were left with 500. These amongst other were my encounter with him and I’ll be leaving tomorrow evening. Pls what can I do to help him. I feel bad seeing him addicted to this and he wouldn’t listen. Those who were able to overcome the betting addiction should pls help.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by BlackXabbath(m): 7:25pm On Oct 21, 2021
Well, all I can say is leave him alone!!!

Let him learn his lesson the hardway.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by Shellsploit: 7:27pm On Oct 21, 2021
Report him to the rehabilitation centre... Otherwise report him to SARs!
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by sisisioge: 7:29pm On Oct 21, 2021
Hian! You are a gambler o. You dropped 2k into the account of person wey finish 20k overnight. Na wa for you o.

As for your friend, biko tell his folks so they would stop enabling him by not sending him money. May God help him.

1 Like

Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by Kobojunkie: 8:04pm On Oct 21, 2021
jawalis:
Pls what can I do to help him. I feel bad seeing him addicted to this and he wouldn’t listen. Those who were able to overcome the betting addiction should pls help.
Let his family know of his addiction, tell them the same exact story you have told us here, so they can understand how they are not helping him by sending him quick money. If food is what he lacks, they can maybe cook and stock his fridge with food or kitchen with what he needs. undecided

Your friend needs to want to change for change to happen to him. undecided
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by mariahAngel(f): 8:20pm On Oct 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Let his family know of his addiction, tell them the same exact story you have told us here, so they can understand how they are not helping him by sending him quick money. If food is what he lacks, they can maybe cook and stock his fridge with food or kitchen with what he needs. undecided

Your friend needs to want to change for change to happen to him . undecided

This isn't always easy.
If you leave them by themselves until they want to change, it might be too late by then.
Sometimes, you have to help them(addicts) see reason(s) to want to change.

Op, you have to find a way to get through to him.
Try not to leave him or give up on him.
He needs a friend now more than ever.

What causes addiction in gambling most times is the strong need to get back what one has lost. The strong need to get it right each time.

Tell him to forget about all he has lost.
He needs to let go to be free. Spiritually and mentally free.
Tell him every time he stakes, it is not just money he stakes, his future too.

2 Likes

Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by greenie77: 9:58pm On Oct 21, 2021
You need to start by informing his family about his addiction as you enable an addict when you cover up for him/her.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by Kobojunkie: 11:42pm On Oct 21, 2021
mariahAngel:
This isn't always easy.
If you leave them by themselves until they want to change, it might be too late by then.

What causes addiction in gambling most times is the strong need to get back what one has lost. The strong need to get it right each time.

Addictions don't typically follow common sense laws and this is from my experience. I have come to believe the process is important to reaching that bottom.. only then will the person be ready to embrace change. All attempts at resolving the situation before that point is reached are usually wasted. undecided

1 Like

Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 9:53am On Oct 22, 2021
mariahAngel:

This isn't always easy.

I told him. Almost everything I see here. I’ve tried on him. I once reported to his elder bro. But he’ll tell his brother that he needs money for one important thing or the other. Like Material in school or something
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 9:54am On Oct 22, 2021
greenie77:
You need to start by informing his family about his addiction as you enable an addict when you cover up for him/her.
Not really covering up for him. But we don’t stay together. We lives in different street. I may not always be there with him
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 9:55am On Oct 22, 2021
sisisioge:
Hian! You are a gambler o. You dropped 2k into the account of person wey finish 20k overnight. Na wa for you o.

As for your friend, biko tell his folks so they would stop enabling him by not sending him money. May God help him.
Just in few minutes. I entered bathroom and came back to see 2k remaining 500
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 9:55am On Oct 22, 2021
Shellsploit:
Report him to the rehabilitation centre... Otherwise report him to SARs!
Sarz can’t help. And betting is legal.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by Hathor5(f): 10:20am On Oct 22, 2021
If I knew how to help people recover from addictions quickly, I would be very rich.

He needs to admit he has a problem first. Many addicts live in denial and as long as they do, they will not accept that they need help.

Once he admits he is an addict, he will need professional help or God's intervention.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by sisisioge: 10:23am On Oct 22, 2021
jawalis:

Just in few minutes. I entered bathroom and came back to see 2k remaining 500

You shouldnt have kept money with him at all...ma you gamble o.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by mariahAngel(f): 10:33am On Oct 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Addictions don't typically follow common sense laws and this is from my experience. I have come to believe the process is important to reaching that bottom.. only then will the person be ready to embrace change. All attempts at resolving the situation before that point is reached are usually wasted. undecided

Sad. sad
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by Lostchild(m): 12:04pm On Oct 22, 2021
jawalis

Have you ever ask why God always save some people and allow some to die and be lost?

You cannot help a person who don't need help

You cannot change a person who does not want changes.

Leave him alone and let him continue to destroy himself.

Focus on your life and future.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 2:10pm On Oct 22, 2021
Lostchild:
jawalis

Have you ever ask why God always save some people and allow some to die and be lost?

You cannot help a person who don't need help

You cannot change a person who does not want changes.

Leave him alone and let him continue to destroy himself.

Focus on your life and future.
Thanks. But I’m wishing I can help him
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by Kobojunkie: 3:27pm On Oct 22, 2021
jawalis:
He is a complete individual like you and so he is not a toy for you to manipulate according to your own will. You need to learn and accept that as even in the state which he currently exists, you are meant to respect his rights an individual to make choices of his own for his own life, choices you obviously may not like. undecided

The best you can do is wait for your friend to be ready for the help you feel he needs. When he is ready, please be sure to offer it to him. Else, back up and let him fall as long and as low as it will take for him to wake up from that delusion he currently riding. undecided
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 3:34pm On Oct 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:
He is a complete individual like you and so he is not a toy for you to manipulate according to your own will. You need to learn and accept that as even in the state which he currently exists, you are meant to respect his rights an individual to make choices of his own for his own life, choices you obviously may not like. undecided

The best you can do is wait for your friend to be ready for the help you feel he needs. When he is ready, please be sure to offer it to him. Else, back up and let him fall as long and as low as it will take for him to wake up from that delusion he currently riding. undecided
This is mean but there is the truth in there. I know fully well that he has his life to live but I just feel for him. You need to see his life now, that’s why I’m wishing I can help him in anyway.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Oct 22, 2021
jawalis:

This is mean but there is the truth in there. I know fully well that he has his life to live but I just feel for him. You need to see his life now, that’s why I’m wishing I can help him in anyway.
There is nothing mean about any of what I stated there as it is reality that many self-appointed "saviours" fail to realize. undecided
No matter how bad a shape it is in, it is his life, not yours and you have to continue to respect that boundary until he calls on you to intrude. undecided

The best help I believe you can give him is to stop enabling him and remind him often that you are available to help him out when he is ready to let go of the delusion. Also, get his folks education on why they worsen the situation by turning a blind eye to his truth. undecided
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 3:53pm On Oct 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:
There is nothing mean about any of what I stated there as it is reality that many self-appointed "saviours" fail to realize. undecided
No matter how bad a shape it is in, it is his life, not yours and you have to continue to respect that boundary until he calls on you to intrude. undecided

The best help I believe you can give him is to stop enabling him and remind him often that you are available to help him out when he is ready to let go of the delusion. Also, get his folks education on why they worsen the situation by turning a blind eye to his truth. undecided
Thank you
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by Kobojunkie: 4:01pm On Oct 22, 2021
jawalis:

Thank you
It is indeed painful but it is what is necessary in this life... respect no matter what the situation. undecided
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by mariahAngel(f): 4:15pm On Oct 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:

That is some harsh truth. sad
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by mariahAngel(f): 4:25pm On Oct 22, 2021
jawalis:

I believe one of the ways you can help him is to do better for yourself and become successful.
When he sees you've gone ahead to become successful, he'll have no choice but to question the decisions he's made and how far behind they've kept him.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 7:52pm On Oct 22, 2021
mariahAngel:

I believe one of the ways you can help him is to do better for yourself and become successful.
When he sees you've gone ahead to become successful, he'll have no choice but to question the decisions he's made and how far behind they've kept him.
Hmmm. Thanks for your inputs.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 7:52pm On Oct 22, 2021
mariahAngel:

That is some harsh truth. sad
I admitted it. But I don’t just want to leave him to himself. I feel for him
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by Lostchild(m): 8:32pm On Oct 22, 2021
jawalis:

I understand your good will for him.

From my life experiences, will tell you to let him continue in his greed.

If you continue yo try to help him, he will surely violate your good heart towards him.

Be wise when it comes to friendship.

I learnt this the hard way.
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by jawalis(m): 9:40pm On Oct 22, 2021
Lostchild:

I understand your good will for him.

From my life experiences, will tell you to let him continue in his greed.

If you continue yo try to help him, he will surely violate your good heart towards him.

Be wise when it comes to friendship.

I learnt this the hard way.
Wow. Thanks so much
Re: How Can He Stop Betting? by apotek: 7:02am On Oct 23, 2021
sisisioge:

You shouldnt have kept money with him at all...ma you gamble o.

Lolzz

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Handle This My Daughter's School Head Teacher Problem / Olam Rice Half Bag 17k For Sale / Looking For Someone? Let's Help Find

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.