Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover - Investment (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover (47167 Views)

Femi Otedola Sells His Shares In Transcorp / Elon Musk Snaps Up $3bn Twitter Stake, Becomes Twitter's Largest Shareholder / Skye Bank And First Bank Of Nigeria To Takeover Evans Medical Plc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by adecz: 1:58pm On Oct 22, 2021
Only N30bn or $50m to become
biggest shareholder in a bank like
First Bank.

Does biggest shareholder make him
a controlling shareholder❓☹️
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by BluntNigerian: 2:08pm On Oct 22, 2021
adolfHitler1934:
That is her life,her choice. That is what gives her joy....she's not working for money but satisfying her inner soul.

Poor people like you always reason thru their anus
I am poor..
I accept.
Now that she is the richest Djay in Nigeria, can you tell me the Net-Worth of her Djay business??
Since you want to tow the line of Rich-And-Poor..
I AM WAITING FOR YOUR POVERTY-STRICKEN RESPONSE
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by BluntNigerian: 2:11pm On Oct 22, 2021
adecz:

First Bank.

YESS..
If you're a shareholder in a company, even if your share is not up to 1% of the total shares, you're a part of the owners of the company.
You're free to attend the board meetings and Annual General Meetings if you like.

1 Like

Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by peacenaija(m): 2:23pm On Oct 22, 2021
wallrichy:
You don't explain details to some people cos the more you explain the more they get confuse. Tell him that you can have 10% shareholding interest in an organisation and that makes you the largest shareholders.....I am a shareholder in first bank of Nigeria but my shares is so insignificant that you hardly see or notice me.....one day when I hit billionaire level.....maybe I might consider buying more shares and move up the ladder of shareholders.....

I confirm jare
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by peacenaija(m): 2:25pm On Oct 22, 2021
adecz:

First Bank.

Go and read IFRS 10 and see where you can have less than 50% of shares and still have the controlling power
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by Drunet: 2:36pm On Oct 22, 2021
Nice move
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by sonofElElyon: 2:48pm On Oct 22, 2021
22o62021:
He can’t take over it

Funny sentence construction..

Anyway he has !
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by bakila: 2:49pm On Oct 22, 2021
Elsueno:
Hope account holders will not be indirectly sponsoring DJ cuppy through bank charges grin grin
That is a must and surely too.

1 Like

Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by sonofElElyon: 2:50pm On Oct 22, 2021
Oracleforce:
This was the position held by Ibukun Awosika before she was ceremoniously eased out of her position

Now, they have given the position to Femi Otedola...is like Femi Otedola is broke, that is the reason he can be clinging to all these sully position from bank...

Dangote can not take this kind of position because it is smaller than his worth instead of Dangote becoming a CEO of an already existing business, he creates his own and merges it Dangote Group of company

Femi Otedola is broke

Someone who spends N30b to acquire controlling shares of first bank is broke right
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 22, 2021
Oga Forte$ wants to buy plenty ULCC(Ultra Large Crude Carrier) be that, biko make e try remind Alhaji to make dreams come true o...... he would understand.... but I hope Forte$ can stand the fraud going on in the banking sector this days, this guys are now advance o.... may be you turn it to a Merchant Bank and have peace of mind.
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by APCNig: 3:14pm On Oct 22, 2021
Maxwell4404:
And your daughter an DJ

Another one is a Tailor and another is a clown musician.

Aren't you suspecting Rituals?
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by Benwallt(m): 3:17pm On Oct 22, 2021
Grace001:
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Indeed for to him who has will more be given, and he will have abundance but
from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away

Congratulation to him
That's wickedness.
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by adolfHitler1934: 3:18pm On Oct 22, 2021
BluntNigerian:
I am poor..
I accept.
Now that she is the richest Djay in Nigeria, can you tell me the Net-Worth of her Djay business??
Since you want to tow the line of Rich-And-Poor..
I AM WAITING FOR YOUR POVERTY-STRICKEN RESPONSE
Your hate for someone who doesn't even know if you're existing will kee you.

Go and make money for your family and stop trolling and hating.

With your envy and hate,I pray you don't........

Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by Gerrard59(m): 3:40pm On Oct 22, 2021
georgeakins:

Ignore that Ibo boy.
Everyone knows that they are always bitter to see other tribes succeed.

But if one of them is doing crime and becomes rich, he is seen as a hero.

It is that bitterness that runs in their veins that made them planned the coup of Jan 1966 where they killed gallant leaders from other tribes.

You people lie brazenly and it sucks!

One of the coup plotters, Adewale Ademoyega, a Yoruba man said:

" There was no decision at our meeting to single out any ethnic group for elimination. Our intentions were honourable, our views were national and our goals were idealistic. Even those earmarked for arrest, four were northerners, two were Westerners and two were Easterners."

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by omoyankee3(m): 3:44pm On Oct 22, 2021
Money moves
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by airsaylongcome: 3:55pm On Oct 22, 2021
adelaja70:

Omo ibo... Mr Anayo,Keeduu!..Otedola father, was a millionaire and former governor of Lagos State. And when you still dey suck mama breast, he was already balling with his fellow Omo baba Olowo in Nigeria.

Sir Michael Otedola. Governor against all-odds. Beht make una Yoruba people stop to they assume many nonsense. Not all non-Yoruba southern Nigerians are ndi-Igbo.

So since Sir Michael was a millionaire how does that change the postulation that his son isn't a front for leaders looting our commonwealth?
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by adelaja70(m): 3:58pm On Oct 22, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Sir Michael Otedola. Governor against all-odds. Beht make una Yoruba people stop to they assume many nonsense. Not all non-Yoruba southern Nigerians are ndi-Igbo.

So since Sir Michael was a millionaire how does that change the postulation that his son isn't a front for leaders looting our commonwealth?
Present your evidence please... I'm above DEM SAY DEM SAY.
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by Freelancer2020(m): 4:41pm On Oct 22, 2021
enumerica:

Your whatsapp number please?

Watsapp -09083503564
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by Move2(m): 5:11pm On Oct 22, 2021
In my opinion, I think we all should be concerned about the happenings in First bank given it's systemic importance to the economy. But also rather than arguing with ourselves, we should be looking at how the super rich control the stock market.
Years ago, this same Otedola fought with Dangote over the manipulation of AP shares in court. Now he has been able to buy up this holding.
Why is he interested especially in this bank? Is it related to what happened earlier this year?
What would be the effect of this on the banking system?
These are some of the issues I feel we should be analyzing, not fighting ourselves.
The elite have a way of getting us to talk about them while they don't care about we the people.
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by koning: 5:23pm On Oct 22, 2021
Freethinker87:
Something is inherently wrong with Nigerians. I don't know if it's just me holding Nigerians to an unrealistic high standard or Nigerians are grossly mediocres or perhaps we suffer long term memory loss or we're actually as idiotic as the politicians think we are. This news is saying that First Bank is in a financial mess but Nigerians are too slow to understand. They're celebrating.

How can Nigerians be celebrating a miserly $50M investment in one of the biggest financial institutions in Nigeria? If $50M is enough to snatch the seat of majority shareholder in an institution older than Nigeria itself and perhaps the biggest bank in Nigeria, one begins to question the true financial health of our banks.

For perspective, $50M cannot make you a majority shareholder in Jumia, neither can it make you a majority shareholder in startups such as flutterwave, OPay, WakaNow, Jobberman, Konga, Iroko, SOLO and many more. Sequoia Capital had to invest $400 million in OPay to own majority share in the start-up.

Nigeria is in a financial mess and her billionaires are becoming millionaires while her financial institutions are dying rapidly. This news is not one to celebrate, it's one that fosters a deep sober reflection.

Speaking of Otedola, here is a man who was worth $1.9 Billion in 2016, having lost his billionaire status due largely to incompetence and mismanagement of the economy by the Government, now trying to diversify his portfolio to secure what's left of his dignity and Nigerians are celebrating a miserly $50M investment from a once upon a time billionaire. I'm not even going to talk about Aliko Dangote who was worth $23 billion in 2016 now worth a miserly $12 Billion.

Your analysis sounds great on face value. But as at today First Bank share closed at $0.02 a share. Less than 1 dollar cent. But that does not remove anything from the fact that FBN is a solid, well capitalized bank for Nigeria and African standards. The daily price of it's share means nothing to the common customers.
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by Freethinker87: 6:14pm On Oct 22, 2021
koning:

Your analysis sounds great on face value. But as at today First Bank share closed at $0.02 a share. Less than 1 dollar cent. But that does not remove anything from the fact that FBN is a solid, well capitalized bank for Nigeria and African standards. The daily price of it's share means nothing to the common customers.

I'll be very embarrassed if my company's share is still a penny stock after 129 years of operation. A share trading over the counter at 2 cents a share cannot be categorized as healthy by any standard even in Africa. Same FBNH traded at 20 cents a share 10 years ago.

Speaking of bank capitalization, 10 years ago, under the then CBN Governor Sanusi Lamido, our National banks were capitalized at N25B at N132 per dollar, that is our banks were capped at $189M. Well, today that N25B is now worth only $45M. These banks are now capped lower than they were 10 years ago.

I don't need to be a financial analyst to know that devaluation and cashflow problem necessitated the need for additional capital injection from Otedola.

No sir, FBNH is far from healthy and common customers like myself should be very worried.
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:42pm On Oct 22, 2021
Freethinker87:

I'll be very embarrassed if my company's share is still a penny stock after 129 years of operation. A share trading over the counter at 2 cents a share cannot be categorized as healthy by any standard even in Africa. Same FBNH traded at 20 cents a share 10 years ago.

Speaking of bank capitalization, 10 years ago, under the then CBN Governor Sanusi Lamido, our National banks were capitalized at N25B at N132 per dollar, that is our banks were capped at $189M. Well, today that N25B is now worth only $45M. These banks are now capped lower than they were 10 years ago.

I don't need to be a financial analyst to know that devaluation and cashflow problem necessitated the need for additional capital injection from Otedola.

No sir, FBNH is far from healthy and common customers like myself should be very worried.

Otedola did not inject capital into First Bank, additional shares were not created. Some core investors sold their holdings and he bought.

First Bank is still solid, Naira deposits is about N3 Trillion. Dollar deposits in the bank is almost $1 billion, shareholders fund is almost N600 billion.

Nigerian banks are dirt cheap, if you know you know

1 Like

Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by Jostoman: 6:43pm On Oct 22, 2021
zigzagluv:
They are thief that scatter the economy
see them bad belle people
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by shegz24(m): 7:30pm On Oct 22, 2021
I was surprised when he sold Forte Oil but now it all makes sense.

Nice onr bruv, watch your back though; I'm coming.

1 Like

Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 22, 2021
Oracleforce:
This was the position held by Ibukun Awosika before she was ceremoniously eased out of her position

Now, they have given the position to Femi Otedola...is like Femi Otedola is broke, that is the reason he can be clinging to all these sully position from bank...

Dangote can not take this kind of position because it is smaller than his worth instead of Dangote becoming a CEO of an already existing business, he creates his own and merges it Dangote Group of company

Femi Otedola is broke

Ibukun was chairman - a proxy director for a major shareholder by name of Otudeko; Otedola is a major shareholder. Know the difference.

1 Like

Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:37pm On Oct 22, 2021
shegz24:
I was surprised when he sold Forte Oil but now it all makes sense.

Nice onr bruv, watch your back though; I'm coming.

He cashed out big time. The person who bought the Forte Oil, over paid for it na money miss road

1 Like

Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by Iamsofavoured(m): 8:06pm On Oct 22, 2021
Gangster acquisition. Someone who refused to pay back loans till Amcon took over, only to turn around and buy his Creditor.
aspabay:
Exclusive! Femi Otedola takes over First Bank as largest shareholder with N30bn

https://thestreetjournal.org/exclusive-femi-otedola-takes-over-first-bank-as-largest-shareholder-with-n30bn/
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by suffering: 8:21pm On Oct 22, 2021
We’ll find out later he’s a major debtor. Na our ‘billionaires’ way.
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by jeronimo(m): 10:51pm On Oct 23, 2021
Gerrard59:

But the article didn't state the percentage Otedola possess. So Mavor's point still holds - until there's a percentage stated that Otedola owns compared to other major shareholders, he cannot be said to be the biggest shareholder.

It doesn't have to state the percentage for anyone to understand what it means. See, he even owns about 5% sef.
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by MainFieldautos: 10:59pm On Oct 23, 2021
Freelancer2020:
Money Man, I'm also coming up.

Anyway, contact me if you need an expert digital marketer that can promote your YouTube channel/video to the world and make it viral, and drive in your best desire result such as views, likes and comment from real people

Quote or check my signature.

Am interested
Re: Femi Otedola Becomes First Banks's Largest Shareholder, To Takeover by zomby(m): 6:18pm On Oct 24, 2021
zomby:

N30B worth of shares, making him the single largest shareholder of the organization….I don’t believe this info is correct.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/10/24/otedola-adenuga-hassan-odukales-otudeko-in-battle-to-control-first-bank/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

EFCC Nabs Forex Trader For Failing To Fulfil 35% Monthly ROI / FG Goes After MMM, Ultimate Cycler, Other Ponzi Schemes / EFCC Declares Miebi Bribena Of Baraza Ponzi Scheme & Wife Wanted For N2b Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.