Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,632 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) (1206 Views)

WWII Bomb Uncovered In Dresden, Police Evacuating 3,300 Residents / 100yr Old WWII Vet Breaks Down In Tears; This Is Not The America We Fought For / Slaves Room In Ancient Roman City Unearthed By Archaeologists (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by Explorers(m): 4:50pm On Oct 24, 2021
Archaeologists have made an astonishing find, uncovering a nearly 80-year-old hazelnut and almond cake that became a 'heavily charred and blackened' after a British air raid hit a historic German city during World War II.

The cake, which was still wrapped in wax paper, was discovered in a cellar by construction workers in the port city of Lübeck, according to a translated statement from Hansestadt Lübeck.

In addition to the cake, other items were found, such as coffee service (consisting of plates, knives and spoons) and records.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10120399/Heavily-charred-blackened-nut-cake-baked-World-War-II-preserved-German-town.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by Explorers(m): 4:50pm On Oct 24, 2021
The British Royal Air Force bombed the city in retaliation for the Nazi blitz of Coventry, England in 1940, according to Dirk Rieger, head of the Department of Archaeology for the Hanseatic City of Lübeck Historic Monuments Protection Authority.

The cake was recently unwrapped when the Palm Sunday bombing started and everything collapsed into the building's cellar and buried Rieger told the news outlet.

However, the cake was not crushed and it is 'currently the only pastry of its kind that has been archaeologically uncovered in northern Germany,' the statement added.

2 Likes

Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by Explorers(m): 4:51pm On Oct 24, 2021
Experts Lisa Renn (left) and Doris Mührenberg (right) noted that the cake still has roughly the same shape as when it was baked.

Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by Explorers(m): 4:52pm On Oct 24, 2021
It also has its nut filling and the sugar decorations are 'clearly visible' on the cake, according to the statement.

'Although it is heavily charred and blackened with soot on the outside,' Renn said, adding, 'the heat has shrunk to only a third of its original height.'

The cake was burned during the air raid, which occurred between March 28 and 29.

1 Like

Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by Timekeeper: 4:53pm On Oct 24, 2021
grin grin grin
Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by decatalyst(m): 4:54pm On Oct 24, 2021
I beg make dem unearth the last poo of Adolf Hitler

grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by endsarrrs(f): 4:54pm On Oct 24, 2021
That cakes looks like what is inside Malami's head.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by TarOrfeeek: 4:56pm On Oct 24, 2021
OK

Me I just unearthed the Ijebu Garri that my grandmother was about to soak in 1967 before Gowon and his murderous soldiers struck.

The Garri still has groundnut inside (similar to this cake).

There's a little Ororo and salt. Overall its in a good condition. grin

5 Likes

Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by Namdeenero(m): 5:06pm On Oct 24, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

OK

Me I just unearthed the Ijebu Garri that my grandmother was about to soak in 1967 before Gowon and his murderous soldiers struck.

Enjoy bro, no forget to add milk
Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by insidelife22(m): 5:06pm On Oct 24, 2021
No be to carry this cake go give the babagan of Lagos make him use am celebrate him next birthday.

1 Like

Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by illicit(m): 5:27pm On Oct 24, 2021
undecided
Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by tillaman(m): 7:35pm On Oct 24, 2021
shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by 3rdavefarms(m): 9:47pm On Oct 24, 2021
L3ts go
Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by thundafire: 9:59am On Oct 25, 2021
Yet WW2 destruction can't be found anywhere in Germany because of total transformation and good leaders but Nigeria nothing to write about.

The whites have been a blessing to mankind
Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by Flexherbal(m): 4:48pm On Oct 25, 2021
However, the cake was not crushed and it is 'currently the only pastry of its kind that has been archaeologically uncovered in northern Germany,' the statement added.

Wow!
Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by leofab(f): 6:09pm On Oct 25, 2021
This race
Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by oz4real83(m): 7:07am On Oct 26, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

OK

you can continue from where your grandmom stopped by completing the remaining processes grin
Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by Ajibade123(m): 6:48pm On Oct 26, 2021
e be as if this ones don chop belleful they don't know what to discover again Mtcheew
as they don discover am now make them chop am now

1 Like

Re: Archaeologists Discovered Burnt Cake Baked During WWII In Germany( Photos) by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 27, 2021
Wow

(1) (Reply)

Ukraine Ends Bloody Battle For Mariupol, Evacuates Azovstal Fighters / Uganda Discovers Gold Deposits Worth 12 Trillion USD / Woman Publicly Flogged By Policemen In Sudan For Wearing Trousers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.