Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime (2793 Views)

Supreme Court Upholds Treasonable Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu / Amended Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Filed By FG (Full List) / FG Files Fresh Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by gidgiddy: 1:14am On Oct 26, 2021
Its not news that the FG brought an ammended seven count charge against IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu. However, it turns out that one of the charges is not even a crime. The charge reads:

That you Nnamdi Kanu, male, adult, of Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia North Local Government Area of Abia Stale on the 16th of May, 2021, in London, United Kingdom within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court did commit an act in furtherance of an act of terrorism by making a broadcast that “In 2 weeks’ time, what will happen will shake the world, people will die, the whole world will stand still, mark my word” and you thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 1 (2) (b) of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act, 2013.

That Nnamdi Kanu said that in two weeks time, people will die? People die every day. How can it be a crime to say that people will die in the future? It is a statement of fact.

How is this charge a crime?

15 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by FreeIgboho: 1:32am On Oct 26, 2021
People merely dying doesn't shake the world. So it is the context and tone that made it a threat - a crime

14 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by Idokojimmy: 2:41am On Oct 26, 2021
Since one of the charges is not a crime, make them kuku convict am for the remaining charges na

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by oyatz(m): 2:47am On Oct 26, 2021
gidgiddy:
Its not news that the FG brought an ammended seven count charge against IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu. However, it turns out that one of the charges is not even a crime. The charge reads:

That you Nnamdi Kanu, male, adult, of Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia North Local Government Area of Abia Stale on the 16th of May, 2021, in London, United Kingdom within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court did commit an act in furtherance of an act of terrorism by making a broadcast that “In 2 weeks’ time, what will happen will shake the world, people will die, the whole world will stand still, mark my word” and you thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 1 (2) (b) of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act, 2013.

That Nnamdi Kanu said that in two weeks time, people will die? People die every day. How can it be a crime to say that people will die in the future? It is a statement of fact.

The court will have to decide if it's a crime or not.

5 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by DoctorDree(m): 3:00am On Oct 26, 2021
Most were just made up

8 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by blackpanda: 3:30am On Oct 26, 2021
It's a crime to threaten terrorism. Go and read terrorism Act.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by mmanwuijele: 4:31am On Oct 26, 2021
gidgiddy:

Dude, nothing in Nigeria makes sense. I grew up in that 'country' and I use to know no better, but now, it is glaringly clear to me that not only is Nigeria a tragic contradiction, its also claims to be what it is not; a democratic federation.

Probably the biggest failure of a country I've ever studied, with the most vile and sadistic leaders, hypocritical, over religious Clerics and citizens. They have the capability to be great, but deliberately choose not to and to kill and oppress! This 'country' isn't just ripe for disintegration, it deserves one! Tufiakwa!

8 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by t6(m): 4:39am On Oct 26, 2021
Threatening is a punishable offence.

4 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by gidgiddy: 6:38am On Oct 26, 2021
FreeIgboho:
People merely dying doesn't shake the world. So it is the context and tone that made it a threat - a crime

This is not even a threat as Nnamdi Kanu did not mention anyone or any people. He didnt even say he is killing anyone. All he said is that people will die in two weeks. Is it possible for two weeks to pass without anyone dying?

How anyone can file such a flimsy charge in court is beyond me

3 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by gidgiddy: 6:40am On Oct 26, 2021
t6:
Threatening is a punishable offence.

If everyone who ever made a threat were to be jailed, we would all be in jail

6 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by SunShowAfrica: 7:03am On Oct 26, 2021
All these uneducated folks creating stupid threads. Don't you know "threat " is a crime?
Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by bigpriik: 7:07am On Oct 26, 2021
My own is it KANU Goes to jail federal government should prepare for another round of war .

3 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by Coldie(m): 7:15am On Oct 26, 2021
Let’s see how it goes

2 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by Broveens42(m): 7:26am On Oct 26, 2021
Coldie:
He should prove what that thing is that will shake the world

Covid is shaking the world especially the new strand ..lol

This type of charges by Nigerian lawyers sums up the rot in their education system

6 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by Fejoku: 7:26am On Oct 26, 2021
op don't mind them. We've taken the case to both ICC and the ICJ. There all their fabrications will fall flat and our victory will be assured. Thereafter, all those involved one way or the other in the killings of our people will be forcefully made to pay for those crimes. Our dead will be avenged.

2 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by Broveens42(m): 7:44am On Oct 26, 2021
SunShowAfrica:
All these uneducated folks creating stupid threads. Don't you know "threat " is a crime?

You need to go back to school to know what a threat is.....

By your assertion, you are implying that all these prophets in Nigeria who predict doom should be arrested and charged..
Very laughable

9 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by mybiz234: 7:57am On Oct 26, 2021
blackpanda:
It's a crime to threaten terrorism. Go and read terrorism Act.

Fulani Heardsmen and bandits have done worse. Why hasn't the government arrested or charged them to court?

You are a Hypocrite with no shame

4 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by minasi4841: 8:02am On Oct 26, 2021
mybiz234:

Fulani Heardsmen and bandits have done worse. Why hasn't the government arrested or charged them to court?

You are a Hypocrite with no shame

There is no charge against our leader.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by gidgiddy: 8:05am On Oct 26, 2021
SunShowAfrica:

If everyone who ever made a threat were to be jailed, we would all be in jail. I even threaten to to kill my children when they misbehave, am I committing s crime?

2 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by mybiz234: 8:06am On Oct 26, 2021
minasi4841:

There is no charge against our leader.

Which leader?
Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by amc: 8:23am On Oct 26, 2021
Has the OP and those commenting read the following section in the Terrorism act?

thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 1 (2) (b) of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act, 2013.
Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by Godpunishnairal: 8:52am On Oct 26, 2021
Where is this thief oooooo?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by Gadafii: 9:28am On Oct 26, 2021
God bless the person above me

where is super cop obioma kyari, ankara sewing crime burster cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by DOTian: 9:36am On Oct 26, 2021
bigpriik:
My own is it KANU Goes to jail federal government should prepare for another round of war .
They will get what they have been looking for..

1 Like

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by BuddhaPalm(m): 9:52am On Oct 26, 2021
gidgiddy:

In context, this also falls under incitement, which is a crime.

IANAL...

4 Likes

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by Alfamann: 10:06am On Oct 26, 2021
It sounds like something any Nigerian pastor will say.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by SunShowAfrica: 10:24am On Oct 26, 2021
gidgiddy:

If everyone who ever made a threat were to be jailed, we would all be in jail. I even threaten to to kill my children when they misbehave, am I committing s crime?
That's because you are stupid and irresponsible

1 Like

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by gidgiddy: 10:35am On Oct 26, 2021
Alfamann:
It sounds like something any Nigerian pastor will say.

But Kanu said it and they charged him to court.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Even A Crime by Tingotoe: 10:41am On Oct 26, 2021
gidgiddy:

Gidgiddy are you a judge to be the one to determine what constitutes a crime or not? You're not even a lawyer for Christ sake

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This What Many Peter Obi Supporters Think Will Happen Tomorrow / Will Atiku Try His Luck In 2027 At 81, Under PDP? / Nigerians Hail Couple Selling Petrol At 198 Per Litre Instead #500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.