Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan (7464 Views)

Why FG Can’t Remove Fuel Subsidy Now – NNPC, Marketers, Experts / Buhari, Jonathan Meet In Aso Rock / Buhari, Jonathan, Shonekan, Obasanjo, Abdulsalami Abubakar Meet In Aso Rock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by ijustdey: 9:06am On Oct 27, 2021
A former Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Lamido Sanusi, said on Tuesday that petrol imports figures were inflated when global oil prices went up during the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan and the regime of the current President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.)

Sanusi, who spoke on Tuesday at a panel session during the 27th National Economic Summit in Abuja, said the subsidy on petrol was responsible for the inflated figures.

Until May 2016, when the Federal Government announced a new petrol price band of N135 to N145 per litre of petrol, private marketers imported petrol into the country and were paid subsidy claims by the government in order to keep the pump price lower than the expected open market price of the product.

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, which has been the sole importer of petrol into the country in recent years, has been bearing the subsidy cost. It does the importation through the Direct Purchase Direct Sale arrangement.

Under the DSDP scheme, selected overseas refiners, trading companies and indigenous companies are allocated crude supplies in exchange for the delivery of an equal value of petrol and other refined products to the NNPC.

Sanusi said, “I have said this over and over again, and when I say this, I want it to be clear that I said this when I was governor of the central bank under the previous government. What I say is not about a particular government.

“In 2015 or 2016, Minister Kachikwu came out and said Nigeria was importing 30 million litres of fuel a day after eliminating corruption and having transparency. In 2019, the NNPC came out and said we were importing 59 million litres per day after oil prices have gone up. And I have been asking the question: what happened between 2015 and 2019 that our consumption doubled?

“This was the same thing that happened under the previous government; in Nigeria, when the oil price goes up – unlike all other products when it gets more expensive, you have a reduction in demand – the NNPC says we are importing more. Why because as the price of oil goes up, the arbitrage between the subsidised price and the market price is so high; there is an incentive to inflate those numbers.”

The NNPC, in the latest monthly report on its website, said a total of 1.67 billion litres of Premium Motor Spirit (petrol), translating to 55.79 million litres per day were supplied in April.

Sanusi said, “I have produced evidence before the National Assembly historically of cases where the NNPC would say we have imported fuel, use the name of a vessel – people say they imported fuel; you go and check and the vessel was nowhere near Nigeria on the day they said it was in Lagos, and people have collected subsidy on those things.

“For me, all the drawbacks of this regime, what it is costing Nigeria is not just the cost of subsidy; it is the cost of the corruption. What we need to do is to scrap it.”

The ex-CBN boss added, “This money coming from petroleum belongs to the federation account; the Federal Government does not have the constitutional right to pay subsidy on behalf of the federation.

“So, that is a fundamental constitutional issue because this is money that should go to the federal, state and local governments. Yet money that belongs to the federation is carried out as a central government expenditure. So, you can see so many complex issues – there are legal and economic issues. What we need to do is stop this thing.”

https://punchng.com/nnpc-marketers-inflated-imported-petrol-figures-under-buhari-jonathan-sanusi/

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Authority1o1(m): 9:07am On Oct 27, 2021
Okay...

Every business is geared towards profit-making. Every Nigerian business is geared towards cashing out from the unsuspecting.

It's almost ridiculous to expect these bodies not to rip off a government that has served itself up for such. Subsidy is something that should be ended totally.

In Nigeria, everyone is corrupt in their own capacity.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Blakjewelry(m): 9:11am On Oct 27, 2021
It's a known fact but you didn't speak up during the Jonathan era when he wanted to to end the fuel subsidy matter

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Mintum: 9:19am On Oct 27, 2021
Sanusi was one of those that got us into the mess we are in today as a country. Packaging an incompetent, unintelligent, bigoted extremist like Buhari as a saviour and fooling the gullible people into believing it. They rewarded him with the Emir of Kano title but karma visited him and he was humiliated out from the throne. I don't take anybody who believed Buhari was a saviour seriously because it's a sign that such a person lacks wisdom

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by id4sho(m): 10:22am On Oct 27, 2021
''FORMER EMIR SLS''
Come and beat me, I dey my house cool

8 Likes

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Kingpele(m): 10:22am On Oct 27, 2021
Nawa
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by nairaman66(m): 10:22am On Oct 27, 2021
Very true!! They shipped in water filled in vessels and submitted invoices worth billions per trip.. That’s how many people from the west, east, north and south got stinkingly rich!

I won’t call names, but I am sure you already know the people. It was because of this Dangote decided to build a refinery to cut everybody off! grin

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Naijawhyy: 10:23am On Oct 27, 2021
Shut up
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by rizzyray: 10:23am On Oct 27, 2021
Lambastica!!!! Na when them no dey government house them go dey talk true...give them post now, fiam them go join gang of thiefs

4 Likes

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by atobs4real(m): 10:24am On Oct 27, 2021
this is not a new news. please what is the solution ? kill them all

7 Likes

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Firoboam: 10:24am On Oct 27, 2021
Authority1o1:
Okay...

Every business is geared towards profit-making. Every Nigerian business is geared towards cashing out from the unsuspecting.

It's almost ridiculous to expect these bodies not to rip off a government that has served itself up for such. Subsidy is something that should be ended totally.

In Nigeria, everyone is corrupt in their own capacity.
Very well said
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by fasho01(m): 10:25am On Oct 27, 2021
This isn't news
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by catice(m): 10:25am On Oct 27, 2021
This we know already. We expect anything now. Since the news of Nigerian customs coming out live on SM to give reason why they have to feed terrorists broke, I realized it is finished. embarassed
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Akwamkpuruamu: 10:26am On Oct 27, 2021
So After six years una still de blame GEJ!

So are you saying that Buhari is the same thief he accused Gej of?

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by sojayy(m): 10:28am On Oct 27, 2021
There's no iotta of of truth in us as a Nigerian, we are our problems.The bad eggs shocked needs be purged from the system...... there was a corntree undecided undecided
There are Many more of this scenario happening in every sector of the system, feeding fat on the masses. God have mercy on us shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Passionate888: 10:29am On Oct 27, 2021
Wetin buhari come change na?
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Kaybee14(m): 10:30am On Oct 27, 2021
It is well.
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by mayo47(m): 10:31am On Oct 27, 2021
You're absolutely incorrect.

Blakjewelry:
It's a known fact but you didn't speak up during the Jonathan era when he wanted to to end the fuel subsidy matter

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by QuickStandard: 10:31am On Oct 27, 2021
undecided

Every sector in Nigeria related to government is so corrupted.

Until dire consequences are meted out to the perpetrators, nothing will change

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Sharon6(f): 10:31am On Oct 27, 2021
Na wa o.. Corruption everywhere!!!

My signature!
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by kingsways: 10:33am On Oct 27, 2021
Well
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by bigdammyj: 10:33am On Oct 27, 2021
Noted
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Maxymilliano(m): 10:33am On Oct 27, 2021
This was how Sanusi misfired when he claimed over $20m was missing from government coffers during GEJ's era due to subsidy misappropriation, only to backtrack when confronted with documented facts.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by ESSOHEngineers: 10:35am On Oct 27, 2021
Our activities enabled us experience issues between PPMC/NPSC import figures and how these varied with DPR figures. The DPR figure is the final figure because it is arrived at after permit to discharge is issued to receiving depots.It is issued just before discharge.

As a responsible organization we know that the subsidy removal is still being kicked against by those who definitely benefit from the limitations and challenges of the Nigerian public and civil administration system.

From indications we have about 8 months to the planned date of June 2022. All necessary moves should be made to ensure that fair pricing, fully deregulated market, local refining, etc. all contribute to making the effects less strenous for the public.
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by 989900: 10:37am On Oct 27, 2021
Una good morning o . . . Na now day dey break for una side (2023 tinz)?

Buhari promised 1 refinery per year, even the ones he met he can't maintain them -- Buhari is General Overseer of all o' them yahoo boys.

Now, they are all waiting on Dangote refinery to end fuel subsidy and help the Naira.

P. S. All those zombie officers that are sent to quash protesters, abeg, where I fit see gas buy at ₦300/kg, or petrol at ₦40/litre?

Las, las, everybody go chop breakfast.

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by April4th(m): 10:38am On Oct 27, 2021
Blakjewelry:

Abeg help me remind this idiot, speaking from both sides of the mouth.
Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by MarrisManah(m): 10:39am On Oct 27, 2021
Blakjewelry:
Sanusi was the champion of subsidy removal during gej tenure. He was present at all the Town Halls organized to enlighten people on the need to end subsidy on petrol. Get your facts right.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanusi: NNPC, Marketers Inflated Imported Petrol Figures Under Buhari, Jonathan by Ibroson(m): 10:44am On Oct 27, 2021
Mintum:
Sanusi was one of those that got us into the mess we are in today as a country. Packaging an incompetent, unintelligent, bigoted extremist like Buhari as a saviour and fooling the gullible people into believing it. They rewarded him with the Emir of Kano title but karma visited him and he was humiliated out from the throne. I don't take anybody who believed Buhari was a saviour seriously because it's a sign that such a person lacks wisdom
SlS never in any way supports Buhari.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kogi Guber: Dino Melaye The Face Of Hope By Toluhi Lanre / I’m A Radical Governor - Okorocha / Frozen Accounts: Fayose Knows Fate Dec 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.