Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,203 members, 7,953,752 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:28 AM

Do You Believe In Destiny - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do You Believe In Destiny (5859 Views)

Press Release: Destiny Child Gospel Music Talent Hunt Season 3 / Can You Believe That This 3yrs Old Girl Is Growing Big Br*ast? [see Photo] / Is Destiny Predetermined? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe In Destiny by cold(m): 10:52pm On Jun 03, 2011
I've been pondering over this for a while now,some individuals seem to have an inexplicable abundance of good fortune.They are successful in matters of love,in their careers,in their finances,and in leading happy and meaningful lives.In other words,they've got the 'midas touch'.Yet these people don't seem to work particularly hard,nor do they posses extraordinary intelligence or other gifts.
Then there are the opposites of the super fortunate;people who repeatedly fail despite their efforts and talents.No matter how much or how hard they work they can't seem to get anything right.
Now the question is;is this down to luck/predestined/predetermined or do we make our own luck,determine our own destiny.Are we truly the architects of our failure or success in life.
Please share your views

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by nurabela: 11:10pm On Jun 03, 2011
A man is what he thinks. Hence every one is truly responsible to himself or herself. We are truly the architects of our destiny. No game of chance. However, predestination may not be totally ruled out considering the fact the God and probably other unseen forces interfere in the affairs of men. The bottom line is that man has the power to fashion his own destiny. Exercise your freedom of choice now!
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by cold(m): 11:25pm On Jun 03, 2011
I believe nobody planned to live his/her life as a pauper.Everybody wants to be rich or at least enjoy some level of contentment but alas that is not the case.Is it that those folks aren't working hard enough or their lives have already been predetermined by some 'unforeseen powers/circumstances?
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by MMM2(m): 11:48pm On Jun 03, 2011
u step on dose people toes 2 be on top.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by cold(m): 11:50pm On Jun 03, 2011
It's not as easy as you make it look
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by HighChief4(m): 12:18am On Jun 04, 2011
You try as much as possible to avoid mistakes, could be very expensive
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by iice(f): 5:36am On Jun 04, 2011
I think it's luck or rather opportunity/time coupled with determination and skill. By skills i don't mean only things like typing, management etc. But one can be cunning/sly, able to retain info etc etc. Then there's the issue of success and greed.

nurabela:

A man is what he thinks. Hence every one is truly responsible to himself or herself. We are truly the architects of our destiny. No game of chance. However, predestination may not be totally ruled out considering the fact the God and probably other unseen forces interfere in the affairs of men. The bottom line is that man has the power to fashion his own destiny. Exercise your freedom of choice now!
So you can post? grin But i agree with you.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by zstranger: 12:16pm On Jun 04, 2011
@OP:

NO, we are not in charge of our lives. We are always, at one point or the other, under the invincible influence of parents, spouses, alcohol, our bosses, Government, and the Wiccan Mother Goddess aka Awon Iya mi Osoromoniga.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Connoisseur(m): 12:40pm On Jun 04, 2011
My people have a sayin ''agba kam mbo bu ego, uba si na chi'' meaning hardwork begets limited success but infinite wealth comes from God.

Yeah to some extent there is a certain degree of outside influence that shapes us. Even the Bible made mention of it ''I will show mercy to whom i want to''.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by ashdre: 12:50pm On Jun 04, 2011
Well to me, this life is a battle ground, cos some people don't wish u well, so ,
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by chidyke77(m): 12:50pm On Jun 04, 2011
This is an interested topic you created poster.
The issue of destiny is beyond our imagination bt as a xtian,i believe that there is destiny bt d other part of me never believe in destiny. The supreme God cn neva be partial by giving others a good destiny and at d same time not blessing others wt a good one.
I wl conclude by saying that evry human being is destined to be great bt many due to omission or commission might nt reach dat greatness.  Some are caused by our own fault while others are hindered by wicked people and majority is karma(curses on their family) either direct or indirect.
So,i believe in destiny bt luck governs destiny.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Ekpoma1: 1:15pm On Jun 04, 2011
Interesting topic. All i know is that the word DESTINY is just any other English words with meaning. I dont just know if it exist.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by sirabbey(m): 1:28pm On Jun 04, 2011
[b]To the best of my knowledge, there is destiny or predestination as the case maybe but both are subject to the choices made by the person in question. One can be destined to be great in life but end up a nonentity by the poor choices he made a good example is Samson in the bible who though destined to save the israel nation from the philistines Judges 13:5 ended up a prisoner of the same philistines due to his reckless way of life and choices. On the other hand is Jabez, whose  own mother condemned to a life sorrow but dust himself up, challenged the status quo and ended up a most honourable individual in his lifetime I Chron 4:9-10.

What am saying in essence is that destiny is at the mercy of the choices we made. if you are going to Kaduna for instance to visit your grannies but on getting to the car park joined a bus (choice) going to Enugu. no matter how much you wish or shout in the bus, you will end up in Enugu, because by your choice you have joined yourself to a predestination-which is Enugu in this case despite your setting out to reach Kaduna.

Saying there is no predestination is denying the obvious or living in denial but saying we are helpless in the sight of predestination is equating life on this terrestial plane to that of robots- which definitely is not the case.
In summary by our own choice we chose our destiny and by our own choices we can change our destiny either for good or for bad.  [/b]
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 04, 2011
I believe some people have better luck that others . . . . doesn't mean hard work can't get you to that same place the 'lucky' would find himself without much stress!

I don't believe in destiny per say . . . but I believe in God's favour and direction in life.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by cold(m): 1:39pm On Jun 04, 2011
sirabbey:

[b]To the best of my knowledge, there is destiny or predestination as the case maybe but both are subject to the choices made by the person in question. One can be destined to be great in life but end up a nonentity by the poor choices he made a good example is Samson in the bible who though destined to save the israel nation from the philistines Judges 13:5 ended up a prisoner of the same philistines due to his reckless way of life and choices. On the other hand is Jabez, whose  own mother condemned to a life sorrow but dust himself up, challenged the status quo and ended up a most honourable individual in his lifetime I Chron 4:9-10.

What am saying in essence is that destiny is at the mercy of the choices we made. if you are going to Kaduna for instance to visit your grannies but on getting to the car park joined a bus (choice) going to Enugu. no matter how much you wish or shout in the bus, you will end up in Enugu, because by your choice you have joined yourself to a predestination-which is Enugu in this case despite your setting out to reach Kaduna.

Saying there is no predestination is denying the obvious or living in denial but saying we are helpless in the sight of predestination is equating life on this terrestial plane to that of robots- which definitely is not the case.
In summary by our own choice we chose our destiny and by our own choices we can change our destiny either for good or for bad.  [/b]

Interesting angle to the discourse but then again it begs the question;how do you know you're making the right choices to set you on the path to your destiny?As a christian you may be inclined to say 'seek the face of God' but how do you explain the issue of choices to someone outside your faith?
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Koolking(m): 1:42pm On Jun 04, 2011
good and bad are in our hands. rationals being chose good as the ultimate. the bottomline is, whatever the nature destined you to be that's just what you''ll be irrespective of working hard or not. inadvertently, situation spurs on [when otherwise we should be slothful] in order to realise that destiny.

Destiny and blessing are seamlessly connected. success is not a direct product of hardwork but blessing. Whatever the reason why Lagos commercial bus drivers and conductors are not successful is a mystery.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by sirabbey(m): 2:14pm On Jun 04, 2011
cold:

Interesting angle to the discourse but then again it begs the question;how do you know you're making the right choices to set you on the path to your destiny?As a christian you may be inclined to say 'seek the face of God' but how do you explain the issue of choices to someone outside your faith?

In Project management, there is what is called "iteration" which is basically going over and over your plans throughout the project life cycle to detect and prevent possible failure sectors as there is no fool-proof plan. i think one need to adopt same in life, because the way/choice that seems right to man sometimes lead to doom. As a christian you have the benefits of the fore-sight of the Holy Spirit which is definitely a great edge. John 14:26, Isa 30:21.

For someone outside the christian faith (who is not ready to tap into the divine resources at the behest of a christian), his best bet is good project management. manage your life as a project, always documenting lessons learnt and doing iteration of your PM plans, but whether it is worth it, using ones life as an experiement of trial and error is solely a matter of personal opinion which boils down to your choice again
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by gymer(m): 2:22pm On Jun 04, 2011
Destiny is God's divine purpose for a man's life. It is what God has decided concerning a person before he/she was conceived. It is alife-long affair. To fufil it or not, is subject to one's personal attitude and agreement with God. If we agree with God, His intention, counsel, etc, destiny will come to pass. If we refuse to surrender to God, destiny (godly plans) will remain a dream. Destiny can be destroyed by our wrong attitude. Some destiny destroyers (why some people could not fufil destiny) include: Pursuit of vanity, lack of knowledge, lack of faith/self-believe, disobedience to God and his word, generational curses/problems (which only God, the architect of a man's destiny can remove), powers of darkness ( when you are in christ, you automatically overcome the influence of the powers of darkness), sin, pride, etc. I believe in God, I believe in destiny, I am fufiling destiny.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by freeman9ja(m): 2:27pm On Jun 04, 2011
My frnd, their is no such thing like destiny. Destiny to me is ones effort or hard work
towards his dream, target, mission and vision.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by porka: 3:10pm On Jun 04, 2011
@Poster - You did not give a single example of anyone (dead or alive) living the utopia 'midas touch' live you decribed here. It would be interesting to know who that 'angel' is.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jun 04, 2011
In all my years of philosophical reflection and debates, no subject has been more recurrent than the issue of destiny. And in all these years, my view has remained resolute and unchanging: Yes I believe in destiny and yes, destiny determines EVERYTHING that happens in everyone's life - from the good to the bad, and from the consequential to the inconsequential. Even the so-called 'hardwork', intelligence, skill and knowledge that some people insist are determinants of one's success in life are all products of destiny if you consider it deeply.
You may argue that since destiny determines everything, then why should anyone bother to make efforts to achieve any objective? Why not simply lie on your bed and wait for destiny to 'happen' to you? Well, there are two answers to this: (1) We are all programmed to do something, anything - and the outcome of whatever we do is already predertermined. (2) If you feel so strongly that you have to wait for destiny to happen to you, then that in itself is your destiny - and the outcome of your 'wait' is also predetermined. In both cases the eventual outcome (whether envisaged or not) is predetermined and totally out of your control. This may sound counterintuitive, but then it is not a simple argument that can be understood simply.

Indeed, you don't even have to believe in destiny for you to be subject to it. Destiny is something of a categorical imperative. It rules us all whether we realise it or not.

However, as I mentioned earlier, this is not a simple argument. It is an extremely intricate argument that incorporates so many layers and abstract nuances that one cannot fully fathom. If I begin to break down some of these layers here, I'm sure I'd bore everyone to tears with the volume, complexity and abstract substance of the  resultant 'thesis'. The best way to evalute and understand the concept of destiny is to adopt a 'lateral thinking' approach.

To gain some insight into the complexity of this argument, read the Wikipedia entry.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by suolboy(m): 3:57pm On Jun 04, 2011
Whether we agree or not, there is destiny. Why are some born into rich families and have everythin in life to succeed while some are born into poor families that have to struggle to make it in life? Since we can't choose where we are born, that is where ur destiny starts.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Kingchuks(m): 4:06pm On Jun 04, 2011
I have read comments with rapt attension and enjoyed the perspectives. Destiny exist and whatever you are today is your destiny. Almighty God/Allah is stronger than Satan that causes adversaries. Hence, if satan wants to bring you down and God says no, you will remain on top. Therefore whatever you are today is what God wants you to be. You can not be more/lesser than that. That's is your destiny.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by freeman9ja(m): 4:24pm On Jun 04, 2011
Well, If anyone believes in destiny, that means he or she is trying to say God almighty is unjust
for making some people born into rich while othesr born into poverty
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by IzuJesus1: 4:34pm On Jun 04, 2011
Its hard 2beliv it but some people are destined 4greatness, it meets them right there on there own. Others no matter how hard they work, it's struggle all the way. All these are of the Lord. "I am the God of all flesh, I will have mercy on whom I'll have mercy on and compassion on whom I also wud. Ur prayer shud be "Oh lord, include me in the list of your special children, remember me oh Lord". thats all

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by freeman9ja(m): 4:36pm On Jun 04, 2011
This is why I love my Nigerians, u learn lots of things from them.
Nice words from u guys, u all made my day.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 04, 2011
freeman9ja:

Well, If anyone believes in destiny, that means he or she is trying to say God almighty is unjust
for making some people born into rich while othesr born into poverty

Maybe 'unjust' is not quite the correct word, but something close. Please read Romans 9: 11-21 and then let me know what you make of it. Therein lies the answer; it tells you why destiny exists.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by oladayo042: 4:39pm On Jun 04, 2011
zstranger:

@OP:NO, we are not in charge of our lives. We are always, at one point or the other, under the invincible influence of parents, spouses, alcohol, our bosses, Government, and the Wiccan Mother Goddess aka Awon Iya mi Osoromoniga.
LOL
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by Puvguy: 4:41pm On Jun 04, 2011
Pro01 your entry about this subject is humbling-It's as if you got 2 brains. Amazing!!!
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by freeman9ja(m): 4:41pm On Jun 04, 2011
@Pro01. Thanks man, will do that. I enjoy the sense of arguement of the writers in here, pls dnt stop guys.
Re: Do You Believe In Destiny by oladayo042: 5:16pm On Jun 04, 2011
Koolking:

good and bad are in our hands. rationals being chose good as the ultimate. the bottomline is, whatever the nature destined you to be that's just what you''ll be irrespective of working hard or not. inadvertently, situation spurs on [when otherwise we should be slothful] in order to realise that destiny.

Destiny and blessing are seamlessly connected. success is not a direct product of hardwork but blessing. Whatever the reason why Lagos commercial bus drivers and conductors are not successful is a mystery.
It is quite correct that rational human beings chose good as the ultimate but the rationality of man is a subject of continuous debate. Man sometimes behave irrationally which makes them choose something other than the best because of their belief, value, and sentiments. This will give the issue of destiny some credence but the debate on destiny will remain contentious as ever.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Roblox Account Username And Password With Robux List / Hurricane Katrina / PHCN/NEPA Electricity Supply: Any Difference?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.