Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,075 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Is Destiny Predetermined? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Is Destiny Predetermined? (10311 Views)

Is Destiny Real? / Do You Believe In Destiny / Hi, my name is Destiny, i'm new!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Destiny Predetermined? by eluquenson(m): 9:11am On Oct 22, 2013
Is every event of our lives predetermined?

For the past several months I’ve been trying to understand and determine if we are all living scripted lives that we cannot change or if we have free will and the ability to completely change our fates. It didn’t seem to me that both could be right at the same time. Finally I just asked my guides and they explained it to me. Here is how they explained it.

Before we are born, our higher self gets together with other, wiser, spirits to work out a plan for our next incarnation that includes major life events such as who are parents will be, who our siblings will be (if any), our marriage partner, kids, career, and many other events too numerous to list.

I don't remember how the debate ended, I think that Bible Study just ended before any conclusion was made on either side.

Now, recently, I've been thinking about this subject again, but from a different way. The question that makes me question whether fates are predetermined or not is what is different now. Is God omniscience because he determined it all beforehand, or because he understands us all so much that he knows what decisions we'll make?

So, pretty much, I'm looking for other views on the subject on how destiny comes about. I'm especially interested in the views of other religions (particularly Islam, eckankar, so hopefully Solar will stop by. lol), along with many denominations of Christianity.

SO , IS DESTINY PER-DETERMINED OR ME-DETERMINED or is it considered it to be a bit of both?

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by adezjamz(m): 9:32am On Oct 22, 2013
Wot I know is dat a man cannot explicitly give clear opinion on both. They will end up contradicting themselves. If its pre-determined then let's b've God planned Nigeria for us in dis manner bt if me-determined, b'lve we caused d whole thing. Bt hw can I caused it wen I met it lik dat or hw could he av spoiled it without God

1 Like

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by akozail(m): 9:35am On Oct 22, 2013
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 22, 2013
Much as I can say, DESTINY is WHOLLY PRE-DETERMINATED. Let's take for an Example the life of Our Lord Jesus Christ. He had a purpose for Coming into this world, and out of all the prayers Jesus prayed on earth, it was the prayer as regards Destiny that was unanswered. Jesus himself prayed for a change in Destiny (Lord, let this cup pass over me, not my will but your will be done). Yet, becuase of Predestination, the prayer remained unanswered. Similalry, the reasons why Oracles, Prophets, Dibians, Spiritualist etc could readily predict the course of a man's life is because DESTINY is PREORDINATED. When Christ himself was born, the three wise men saw stars and they knew instantly that it was the birth of a great person.

11 Likes

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 22, 2013
adezjamz: Wot I know is dat a man cannot explicitly give clear opinion on both. They will end up contradicting themselves. If its pre-determined then let's b've God planned Nigeria for us in dis manner bt if me-determined, b'lve we caused d whole thing. Bt hw can I caused it wen I met it lik dat or hw could he av spoiled it without God

Dearest,

Destiny is predestinated but man can derail from Destiny if he allows the devil to tamper with it. The bible says the thief (Devil) cometh but to steal, destroy and Kill. Take for example the children of Israel, they were to be taken to a PROMISED LAND which journey is only 40DAYS but because they allowed the devil and gave in to disobedience, they spent 400yrs for a 40day Journey. That's what we are witnesing today in Nigerian.

13 Likes

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 22, 2013
Jehovah Shalom:

Dearest,

Destiny is predestinated but man can derail from Destiny if he allows the devil to tamper with it. The bible says the thief (Devil) cometh but to steal, destroy and Kill. Take for example the children of Israel, they were to be taken to a PROMISED LAND which journey is only 40DAYS but because they allowed the devil and gave in to disobedience, they spent 400yrs for a 40day Journey. That's what we are witnesing today in Nigerian.
That same journey would have taken the children of Israel just 40minutes today if they flew with ISRAEL AIRWAYS.... So you can see destiny is dynamic grin grin
Places, events and timing affects destiny

12 Likes

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by Joshthefirst(m): 12:57pm On Oct 26, 2013
Your destiny is determuined by you. You choose your path. But the end is also known By God. He knows the final choice you'll make, he knows the end from the beginning, but you choose your path, and you're responsible for the choices you make

3 Likes

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by PaulSteve: 12:57pm On Oct 26, 2013
undecidedDon't kno

1 Like

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by alaoeri: 1:01pm On Oct 26, 2013
Don't even know beside what's destiny? undecided but oyinbo will say your destiny lies in your own hands maybe true or not I no understand reason some ppl will work hard yet unsuccessful while some will workless and be extremely successful only God understands the mystery behind destiny.

2 Likes

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by stanza(m): 1:03pm On Oct 26, 2013
Well, in as much as this topic is ambigious, my answer is destiny is predetermined. Even God said my plans for you are of Good and not of evil, to bring you to and expected end(heaven). God couldn't have created us to be full of sin, die and Go to hell. Adam for example changed his destiny when he ate the forbidden fruit. So man ultimately has a way of changing and determining his own destiny.

3 Likes

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by ednut1(m): 1:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
Tink so, but I feel u can tweak it a little bit
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by PastorOluT(m): 1:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
It is paradoxical n no one can claim perfect understanding to this just like the trinity, God predetermined our lives yet gave us freewill that ultimately leads to our end/destinations.

God intended (predestined) all to be saved according to the scriptures bt many ended up in Hell as a result of their choices. God wanted we all to be comfortable n not lack bt that's not d case.

The problem started from the Garden of Eden, the bible says if the foundation be destroyed what can the righteous do? The truth was that as a result of thar action in Eden the plans of God was disrupted bt never to be defeated.

Sincerely we should not disturb ourselves with such questions since we already know the will of God for us all, all we need do is accept His free gift Jesus as our Lord n savior n live for Him daily. When we do this we already know our end 'cos we will be saved n safe from whatsoever!

5 Likes

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by UjSizzle(f): 1:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
Our fate is determined by the choices we make. If we subscribe to a higher force who determines our destiny, the one all agree on is that we choose whether to take those specific steps that lead us there, or totally derail from it.
For some will take the straight path there, some will circle a bit before getting there, and others may never reach that point.

1 Like

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by christejames(m): 1:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
Do u mean akarakah?
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by Meringe(m): 1:08pm On Oct 26, 2013
From my life experience, I say YES.
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 26, 2013
It should.
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by RockMaxi: 1:09pm On Oct 26, 2013
In my personal view, destiny is like a newly manufactured car, the purpose and design is already predetermined even before its manufacture and if you abide by the operational manual you are bound to enjoy the performance. Likewise a baby born into this world already have a predetermined destiny either as a boy or girl. What makes us to actualize this destiny is whether we follow our individual blueprint. It is more spiritual than what ordinarily meet the eye and the original blueprint is only in the hand of God. Check the life of Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Samuel and Jesus all have a predetermined destiny.

5 Likes

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by phtemie(m): 1:13pm On Oct 26, 2013
Double post

1 Like

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by phtemie(m): 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2013
The Idea of destiny is bi-faceted,it is predetermined and at the same time can be altered..Though we are predestined to be something in life,we all have the free will to diverge it through our actions.

That's why we see some people predestined to be rich ending up being miserable due to their nonchalance and laziness(action) and vice versa.

No matter what we are predestined to be,we can change it through our reactions.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by cold(m): 1:17pm On Oct 26, 2013
Jehovah Shalom: Much as I can say, DESTINY is WHOLLY PRE-DETERMINATED. Let's take for an Example the life of Our Lord Jesus Christ. He had a purpose for Coming into this world, and out of all the prayers Jesus prayed on earth, it was the prayer as regards Destiny that was unanswered. Jesus himself prayed for a change in Destiny (Lord, let this cup pass over me, not my will but your will be done). Yet, becuase of Predestination, the prayer remained unanswered. Similalry, the reasons why Oracles, Prophets, Dibians, Spiritualist etc could readily predict the course of a man's life is because DESTINY is PREORDINATED. When Christ himself was born, the three wise men saw stars and they knew instantly that it was the birth of a great person.
Yeah,his destiny was pretty much determined by a loving God. What an awesome God!
Besides,i created this topic 2 years ago[url] https://www.nairaland.com/682432/believe-destiny#8453805[/url]

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by greatgenius: 1:17pm On Oct 26, 2013
eluquenson: Is every event of our lives predetermined?

For the past several months I’ve been trying to understand and determine if we are all living scripted lives that we cannot change or if we have free will and the ability to completely change our fates. It didn’t seem to me that both could be right at the same time. Finally I just asked my guides and they explained it to me. Here is how they explained it.

Before we are born, our higher self gets together with other, wiser, spirits to work out a plan for our next incarnation that includes major life events such as who are parents will be, who our siblings will be (if any), our marriage partner, kids, career, and many other events too numerous to list.

I don't remember how the debate ended, I think that Bible Study just ended before any conclusion was made on either side.

Now, recently, I've been thinking about this subject again, but from a different way. The question that makes me question whether fates are predetermined or not is what is different now. Is God omniscience because he determined it all beforehand, or because he understands us all so much that he knows what decisions we'll make?

So, pretty much, I'm looking for other views on the subject on how destiny comes about. I'm especially interested in the views of other religions (particularly Islam, eckankar, so hopefully Solar will stop by. lol), along with many denominations of Christianity.

SO , IS DESTINY PER-DETERMINED OR ME-DETERMINED or is it considered it to be a bit of both?
you choose your destiny(destination/purpose/goal) before incarnating here in physicality..So yes it is predetermined before your engagement in physicality..

Now you cannot change your destiny once here but what you can change is your FATE..your fate is in your hands not your destiny.
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by nwaimoroseyaho: 1:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
For some pple i will say yes cos God created dem for a special assignment e.g Jesus, sampson, john d baptist etc and their births were prophecied about. While other pple were created wit so many other beautiful purposes but dey chose to go d opposit direction.
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by mrakin(m): 1:19pm On Oct 26, 2013
pls do not insult God almighty. He has given us the free will to live our lives the way we want since our first parent had agreed to be like God. I am not going into bible lessons but I want you to know that God does not pre-determine our destiny. God is not partial, He does not distribute wealth, poverty, sickness and good health.
All the things that happen to us are either by our own cause, by accident or by wicked spirit forces. God sometimes prevent and protect HIS loyal ones but sometimes permit them to go through some difficult situations.

In conclusion, God does not pre-determine our destiny. Pls read the bible book of James chapter one.
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 26, 2013
Let me reproduce a post I made about 2 years ago on the same subject:

www.nairaland.com/682432/believe-destiny#8453805
--------------

In all my years of philosophical reflection and debates, no subject has been more recurrent than the issue of destiny. And in all these years, my view has remained resolute and unchanging: Yes I believe in destiny and yes, destiny determines EVERYTHING that happens in everyone's life - from the good to the bad, and from the consequential to the inconsequential. Even the so-called 'hardwork', intelligence, skill and knowledge that some people insist are determinants of one's success in life are all products of destiny if you consider it deeply.
You may argue that since destiny determines everything, then why should anyone bother to make efforts to achieve any objective? Why not simply lie on your bed and wait for destiny to 'happen' to you? Well, there are two answers to this: (1) We are all programmed to do something, anything - and the outcome of whatever we do is already predertermined. (2) If you feel so strongly that you have to wait for destiny to happen to you, then that in itself is your destiny - and the outcome of your 'wait' is also predetermined. In both cases the eventual outcome (whether envisaged or not) is predetermined and totally out of your control. This may sound counterintuitive, but then it is not a simple argument that can be understood simply.

Indeed, you don't even have to believe in destiny for you to be subject to it. Destiny is something of a categorical imperative. It rules us all whether we realise it or not.

However, as I mentioned earlier, this is not a simple argument. It is an extremely intricate argument that incorporates so many layers and abstract nuances that one cannot fully fathom. If I begin to break down some of these layers here, I'm sure I'd bore everyone to tears with the volume, complexity and abstract substance of the  resultant 'thesis'. The best way to evalute and understand the concept of destiny is to adopt a 'lateral thinking' approach.

To gain some insight into the complexity of this argument, read the Wikipedia entry.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny

5 Likes

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by bluejeff(m): 1:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
I believe destiny is predetermined, but it also be altered.
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by Ediss(m): 1:23pm On Oct 26, 2013
Yes pre destination is real. I am pre destinated to be great. My profile tell me so
grin grin
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by rodeo0070(m): 1:23pm On Oct 26, 2013
Our Destiny lies with us. I don't think its predetermined. Its just bad that in Niger-area we always attribute everything to Destiny...
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by bigfrancis21: 1:26pm On Oct 26, 2013
eluquenson: Is every event of our lives predetermined?

Hello Eluquenson.

You asked a deeply spiritual question but you did so in the wrong place. With the type of minds that roam around here and the reasoning so many people exhibit here, I doubt you'll get the answer you're looking for.

I'm a spiritual person. My enlightenment came around 2007. Predestination and free will are intertwined. In life, certain events are predestined to happen, at this particular age or that. However, we still have our own free-will. But when the time comes for a particular event to happen, it does happen.

Read more below here:
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research01.html
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 26, 2013
Nothing like destiny. Your actions and inactions determine where you end up. And a whole lot of other random events and occurrences.

1 Like

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by igwedexy: 1:31pm On Oct 26, 2013
stanza: Well, in as much as this topic is ambigious, my answer is destiny is predetermined. Even God said my plans for you are of Good and not of evil, to bring you to and expected end(heaven). God couldn't have created us to be full of sin, die and Go to hell. Adam for example changed his destiny when he ate the forbidden fruit. So man ultimately has a way of changing and determining his own destiny.

Let me tell U̶̲̥̅̊ .... U̶̲̥̅̊ said adam changed his destiny have U̶̲̥̅̊ forgotten that there is a saying that goes that destiny can be delayed but cannot be changed pls take note of that
Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
hummmm......
well, what I can say about this issue is that....
God knows what He is doing.....maybe u can change ur destiny or not...what God want u to do on this earth u will surly do it
will u say moses and pharaoh change there destiny
God said for this purpose have created pharaoh.. so all those things he's doing do u think God did not know.. He made his heart a stony one...just for his own glory to come out
about moses....if Moses get to the promise land are we going to hear about Joshua... all what God want for us in dis life most surly come to pass....

just keep praying for ur life to fulfil

1 Like

Re: Is Destiny Predetermined? by trolling(m): 1:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
yes na,its called the volume of the book some are written on earth,some in heaven

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Christmas Message To Nairalanders By Jasonscoolari. / When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? / Nigerian Man Turns Woman: Was Mr Dapo Adaralegbe, Now Ms Stephanie Adaralegbe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.